Take a Bow Jonesy

Bobby McKenzie

Someone watching the Collingwood /Carlton game tweeted, 'Noticed a lot of the GREAT players in the AFL are going bald such as Ablett Snr and jnr, Chris Judd, Paul Chapman and Nathan Jones'. Nice to think that a supporter(possibly of another club), unlike many on this forum, rates Jonesy. Pity a few more here couldn't. Go Jonesy! Always loved your passionate, committed efforts for the mighty Dees.

Edited by bobby mckenzie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone watching the Collingwood /Carlton game tweeted, 'Noticed a lot of the GREAT players in the AFL are going bald such as Ablett Snr and jnr, Chris Judd, Paul Chapman and Nathan Jones'. Nice to think that a supporter(possibly of another club), unlike many on this forum, rates Jonesy. Pity a few more here couldn't. Go Jonesy! Always loved your passionate, committed efforts for the mighty Dees.

I read on another thread where Melb supporters referred to some fellow supporters as Nathan Jones "haters". It's unfortunate that anyone who doesn't believe that Jones is up to it is labelled his hater. I don't believe that Jones is, or will ever be, more than a C grader, but I hardly "hate" him. I admire his courage, work ethic, training disciplines, and believe that he's doing everything to make the most of his footy career.

I was a huge advocate of recruiting Jones with pick 12 when we drafted him in 2005. I have a PM from Craig Cameron where he refers to Jones as "your boy". So it's not with any glee that the player that I had such high hopes for just isn't good enough to play footy for a top 4 side (imo), which is obviously what we aspire to be. Despite some peoples opinions Jones' pace is fine, the problem rests with his decision making, skill, and creativity. He just doesn't have the footy nous of the best midfielders. He still turns the footy over through skill errors and poor decisions. It would be great if he had the ability of an inside mid such as Sammy Mitchell, but unfortunately there's a chasm between the two.

He was drafted in the same year as Pendlebury and Marc Murphy. Pendlebury is an A grader and Murphy is on the cusp of being one. Some will say that it's unfair to compare Jones to those two, but I'm trying to highlight the quality of other mids the same age as Jones and where we need to elevate our midfield to compete with the best teams. Scully, Trengove, and Gysberts have the potential to reach A grade status, but they need to be complimented with quality B graders. Unfortunately we lose too much when players such as Jones are rotated into the middle. I accept that right now we need Jones, because he at least has a larger body, but if Jones is still making the best 22 in 3 years time then we won't be a top 4 calibre side.

I've been watching ordinary Melb sides for 30 years. Some have been better than others and played finals, but none have had any real success. I no longer have any joy watching players like Jones run around, because I know that they can't take us to a flag. Building a premiership quality team is of paramount importance to me as a supporter and I assume most others. Some here will argue that we can win a flag with Jones in the team and that he's improved, etc., but clearly I disagree.

To highlight the gulf between Jones and Pendlebury/Murphy have a look at their careers to date, but more importantly look how the gap has even widened when you take into account last year. The disparity between Jones and the other two is marked over their careers, but the second link only highlights how that gulf is widening.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=&SelectedPlayers=1676,1656,1620,&Compare=Go&Sort=AverageRating Desc

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2010&SelectedPlayers=1676,1656,1620,&Compare=Go&Sort=AverageRating Desc

I don't hate Jones, far from it, but I have such passion to produce a premiership quality side that it's fair to say that I have little fondness for what are the cricket equivalent of trundlers that form part of the side; and that's exactly what Jones is.

I read on another thread where Melb supporters referred to some fellow supporters as Nathan Jones "haters". It's unfortunate that anyone who doesn't believe that Jones is up to it is labelled his hater. I don't believe that Jones is, or will ever be, more than a C grader, but I hardly "hate" him. I admire his courage, work ethic, training disciplines, and believe that he's doing everything to make the most of his footy career.

I was a huge advocate of recruiting Jones with pick 12 when we drafted him in 2005. I have a PM from Craig Cameron where he refers to Jones as "your boy". So it's not with any glee that the player that I had such high hopes for just isn't good enough to play footy for a top 4 side (imo), which is obviously what we aspire to be. Despite some peoples opinions Jones' pace is fine, the problem rests with his decision making, skill, and creativity. He just doesn't have the footy nous of the best midfielders. He still turns the footy over through skill errors and poor decisions. It would be great if he had the ability of an inside mid such as Sammy Mitchell, but unfortunately there's a chasm between the two.

He was drafted in the same year as Pendlebury and Marc Murphy. Pendlebury is an A grader and Murphy is on the cusp of being one. Some will say that it's unfair to compare Jones to those two, but I'm trying to highlight the quality of other mids the same age as Jones and where we need to elevate our midfield to compete with the best teams. Scully, Trengove, and Gysberts have the potential to reach A grade status, but they need to be complimented with quality B graders. Unfortunately we lose too much when players such as Jones are rotated into the middle. I accept that right now we need Jones, because he at least has a larger body, but if Jones is still making the best 22 in 3 years time then we won't be a top 4 calibre side.

I've been watching ordinary Melb sides for 30 years. Some have been better than others and played finals, but none have had any real success. I no longer have any joy watching players like Jones run around, because I know that they can't take us to a flag. Building a premiership quality team is of paramount importance to me as a supporter and I assume most others. Some here will argue that we can win a flag with Jones in the team and that he's improved, etc., but clearly I disagree.

To highlight the gulf between Jones and Pendlebury/Murphy have a look at their careers to date, but more importantly look how the gap has even widened when you take into account last year. The disparity between Jones and the other two is marked over their careers, but the second link only highlights how that gulf is widening.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=&SelectedPlayers=1676,1656,1620,&Compare=Go&Sort=AverageRating Desc

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2010&SelectedPlayers=1676,1656,1620,&Compare=Go&Sort=AverageRating Desc

I don't hate Jones, far from it, but I have such passion to produce a premiership quality side that it's fair to say that I have little fondness for what are the cricket equivalent of trundlers that form part of the side; and that's exactly what Jones is.

It is an interesting Situation with Jonesy...I can see where you are coming from, but i believe Nathan Jones will become a very important TEAM player for us when our midfield grows up. Jonesy will still be Big, and will still be trying his Guts out.

At the moments he is trying to do about 4 jobs on the field. In 2-3 years when he can concentrate on one Job i am confident Nathan Jones will become a very Potent asset for the MFC. Do not Forget since 2007 our Midfield was cleaned out & replaced with toddlers. Beamer & Jonesy have had to do a helluva lot of work to keep it all together.

Great Demon baldies of the past: Phil Rhoden! you need the ugly nuts to go in and get the pill. good comment bobby.

Glen Lovett was a nude nut gun in his prime ... and seemed to get better once he'd fully shaved his noggin.

Edited by Range Rover

Very concise and thoughtful note and I can confirm you were indeed big on recruiting Jones in 2005. I think you have nailed this well.

Glen Lovett was a nude nut gun in his prime ... and seemed to get better once he'd fully shaved his noggin.

His chronic soft tissue injuries didnt get better. We never saw the best of G Lovett.

It is an interesting Situation with Jonesy...I can see where you are coming from, but i believe Nathan Jones will become a very important TEAM player for us when our midfield grows up. Jonesy will still be Big, and will still be trying his Guts out.

At the moments he is trying to do about 4 jobs on the field. In 2-3 years when he can concentrate on one Job i am confident Nathan Jones will become a very Potent asset for the MFC. Do not Forget since 2007 our Midfield was cleaned out & replaced with toddlers. Beamer & Jonesy have had to do a helluva lot of work to keep it all together.

Agreed......his role has been required to change over the past 3 years on account of a paucity of midfield muscle, speed and skill. At his best, Nathan Jones is exciting and reliable. Once the midfield matures around him, he will become the 'rock' that we all want him to be, and some of us believe he will be. At the moment though, he and Beamer's abilities are less obvious because of their need to do ALL the grunt work. It's unglamourous, and they do it like the great clubmen they are.....gee, I wonder if that's why they're in the leadership group?!

Once the midfield matures around him, he will become the 'rock' that we all want him to be, and some of us believe he will be.

We'll see.

gee, I wonder if that's why they're in the leadership group?!

Wasn't Brad Miller in the leadership group until he was delisted (aged 27)?!?

PS. If you had suggested that despite being in the leadership group it's quite possible that Jones could get pushed out of the side as our younger mids improve, I think you would have been right. (You didn't, but thanks for reminding me of the Miller example).

Jones held onto his spot this week by the skin of his teeth, Twitter PFFFFTTTT.

I hope Jonesy reads that about being a 'trundler'. He might just show you and his critics a thing or two. Go Jonesy show 'em!

I hope Jonesy reads that about being a 'trundler'. He might just show you and his critics a thing or two. Go Jonesy show 'em!

I'm sure any "critic" of Jones would hope that too.

Couldn't agree more WYL!

Jones held onto his spot this week by the skin of his teeth, Twitter PFFFFTTTT.

... and if he doesn't play well tomorrow he'll lose it to Maric or Jetta who played well for Casey.

Many of the players that Jones is being compared to here have played on much stronger teams over past years, to compare his performance against theirs shows a lack of appreciation of how much a team sport AFL is, if you had slotted Jones in a team with 2 or 3 of the leagues top ten players in it rather than some of the players the Dees have had lurking in it, I feel some observers perception of Jones would be very different.

It is disappointing that is all you took from a really well written post. If you can honestly feel that Jones is in the same league as the GREATS you mentioned, its laughable.

If he does read it, he would probably feel it is quite a fair assessment. If he himself feels he is a top liner, that's the first place he is going wrong.

Guest watts04

Jones is nowhere near the others, his social media keeps his profile up but where has he improved in the last 4 years.

Struggles with consistency and hasn't nailed down a place in the side and leaves himself open to the younger brigade coming thro...

He knew this last year when he went to chat to Bailey about his place in the side going forward before he signed his contract.

4 years, part of our leadership group and not performin at the required level often enough - he would say questions must be asked

Bring back McKenzie quickly

It is disappointing that is all you took from a really well written post. If you can honestly feel that Jones is in the same league as the GREATS you mentioned, its laughable.

If he does read it, he would probably feel it is quite a fair assessment. If he himself feels he is a top liner, that's the first place he is going wrong.

Steady on Ox! Keep your horns in! I merely REPORTED what an outsider stated.It was not MY comment that he was in the same league as the others. He certainly is not. BUT If we had a few more showing the same attitude as Nathan we would be all the better for it.

Jones again today - some very good things, but basic skill errors late in the game.

He spilled a regulation mark late that almost led to a game-tying shot on goal for Brisbane, but Rivers saved him.

A frustrating player.

Jones again today - some very good things, but basic skill errors late in the game.

He spilled a regulation mark late that almost led to a game-tying shot on goal for Brisbane, but Rivers saved him.

A frustrating player.

HIs third quarter along with Moloney won us the game. Was fantastic all day, everyone is in trouble if you mark them on one skill error. Even the captain missed a simple set shot. More of a worry is Davey, can't face a hard tag and spends most of the day sooking instead helping out his team.