Changes for next week.

Gorgoroth

Todays disposal stats, I think they give an indication of how our Running players are going.

Player.................... K,,,,H,,,,,D

Colin Sylvia.............17,,,,9,,,,,26

Jack Grimes...........14,,,,6,,,,,20

Nathan Jones..........10,,,,6,,,,16

Luke Tapscott.........16,,,,7,,,,23

Rohan Bail..............12,,,,8,,,,20

Aaron Davey...........12,,,,3,,,,15

Clint Bartram...........9,,,,,7,,,,16

Stefan Martin..........9,,,,,5,,,,,14

Brad Green.............9,,,,,6,,,,,15

Jack Trengove.........8,,,,,6,,,,,14

Mark Jamar............2,,,,,7,,,,,9

James Frawley.......9,,,,,5,,,,,14

Ricky Petterd.........7,,,,,5,,,,,12

Lynden Dunn..........5,,,,,5,,,,,10

Liam Jurrah............7,,,,,3,,,,,10

Jack Watts............6,,,,,9,,,,,15

Brent Moloney.......6,,,,,11,,,,,17

----------------------------------------------

Jamie Bennell.......5,,,,,3,,,,,,8

Jared Rivers...........5,,,,,4,,,,,,9

Colin Garland.........8,,,,,3,,,,,11

Neville Jetta..........5,,,,,4,,,,,,9

Addam Maric.......3,,,,,3,,,,,6

IMO we need more size into the team and some more tenacity.

It might be time to bring in Newton. We play the Lions and then the Suns. This would be a good time to give him a run. We need someone who will present @ CHF.

My changes:

Wonnaemirri in for Maric.

Gysberts in for Jetta.

McDonald in for the inj' Garland.

Newton in for Watts. (Watts to Sub.)

Hmmm. Might have to burn a couple to indicate a loss in this manner can't go unpunished.Dont think you would want to be below the line and am prepared to exclude Rivers & Garland from consideration. But Newton for Watts is rash, although the lad is getting closer to needing a rocket.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Thomo

Out: jetta, Maric, Jones, Watts and Garland if injured.

In: Gysberts, Wonna, Mcdonald Warnock and Morton Sub.

I think Frawley's disposal today showed that players need a game before playing at the top level, so Morton at Casey next week for me.

it was not our forwardline that was poor, they couldnt do anything with the amount of i50s they got, ridiculous, but rather our midfield, no one was first to the ball, and thus we need a shake up in our midfield.

but there will not be many changes,

Garland for Macdonald

maybe Jetta or Maric for Wonna

but if maric gets dropped id be a little disappointed, he wasnt too far off it, just a very poor choice of sub in my opinion.

In: Anybody without a sense of smell. It's the only thing I can think of that explains why we were always 15m behind our direct opponents, they must smell like $#!+

Also: in Gys, and sub somebody (midfielder?) who will have an impact. Poor Mariculture never had a chance in the second half, might as well get a sub near the ball.

Todays disposal stats, I think they give an indication of how our Running players are going.

Player.................... K,,,,H,,,,,D

Colin Sylvia.............17,,,,9,,,,,26

Jack Grimes...........14,,,,6,,,,,20

Luke Tapscott.........16,,,,7,,,,23

Rohan Bail..............12,,,,8,,,,20

Clint Bartram...........9,,,,,7,,,,16

Stefan Martin..........9,,,,,5,,,,,14

Brad Green.............9,,,,,6,,,,,15

Mark Jamar............2,,,,,7,,,,,9

James Frawley.......9,,,,,5,,,,,14

Brent Moloney.......6,,,,,11,,,,,17

Jared Rivers...........5,,,,,4,,,,,,9

Colin Garland.........8,,,,,3,,,,,11

IMO we need more size into the team and some more tenacity.

It might be time to bring in Newton. We play the Lions and then the Suns. This would be a good time to give him a run. We need someone who will present @ CHF.

My changes:

Wonnaemirri in for Maric.

Gysberts in for Jetta.

McDonald in for the inj' Garland.

Newton in for Watts. (Watts to Sub.)

Hmmm. Might have to burn a couple to indicate a loss in this manner can't go unpunished.Dont think you would want to be below the line and am prepared to exclude Rivers & Garland from consideration. But Newton for Watts is rash, although the lad is getting closer to needing a rocket.

Umm,,, you didn't quote mu post in it's entireity. You would note that Rivers and Garland were Not highlighted. And are Not running players.

IMO the biggest part of our 'kickin' problem, is we lack real targets getting into position quickly. This pressures our kickers to hang onto the ball far too long.

it was not our forwardline that was poor, they couldnt do anything with the amount of i50s they got, ridiculous, but rather our midfield, no one was first to the ball, and thus we need a shake up in our midfield.

but there will not be many changes,

Garland for Macdonald

maybe Jetta or Maric for Wonna

but if maric gets dropped id be a little disappointed, he wasnt too far off it, just a very poor choice of sub in my opinion.

Our forwardline was pathetic, Lazy, wouldn't run to present from the 10 minute mark of the second qtr. That was the start of the rot.

The forwardline also has to present to our defenders at the kickouts, to present real marking options. They do not run anywhere near hard enough. And Watts does not want the ball enough.

Dude, the guy only got to play for a quarter and that was when the supply into the forward line had dried up entirely. 6 disposals is a pretty good effort. I'd also say that he should never have been used as a sub. He's completely wrong for the role. Petterd was a great choice last week as he is versatile and can fill in pretty much anywhere (short of the ruck) that he is needed should there be an injury. Maric is one of the shortest guys on our list and can really only play as a forward pocket or a mid. He was never going to change the game coming off the bench.

Taking into account the claim above that Morton is hammering on the door and desperate for a shot, I'd be bringing him in as the super sub. He is tall enough to play as a key back or forward, runs like a mid and can have a serious impact (didn't he once kick 4 when he was shifted to CHF?). Garland would be the obvious choice to go given the report of a medial ligament injury.

Of the rest, it's not easy to pick outs. They were very good when they were good and when it went to hell there were only a couple of guys who showed any fight. Dee-luded makes a valid point on Bennell and Jetta above. Both were pretty low on output today. Jetta needs to provide a lot more grunt if he's going to hold his spot in the side, and I think he'll be on the outer once Jordie is back in shape. Bennell needs to show more than the odd flash of brilliance (I seem to recall saying the same about Jurrah too not al that long ago). I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them were to make way. Maybe for Gys or Wona, depending on who has been showing form.

I don't see a place for Newton next week, unless it's to act as a lure for a certain gorilla-like defender? I actually do like him playing in terms of our forward structure, but he costs us badly in other areas.

Dude, the guy only got to play for a quarter and that was when the supply into the forward line had dried up entirely. 6 disposals is a pretty good effort. I'd also say that he should never have been used as a sub. He's completely wrong for the role. Petterd was a great choice last week as he is versatile and can fill in pretty much anywhere (short of the ruck) that he is needed should there be an injury. Maric is one of the shortest guys on our list and can really only play as a forward pocket or a mid. He was never going to change the game coming off the bench.

Taking into account the claim above that Morton is hammering on the door and desperate for a shot, I'd be bringing him in as the super sub. He is tall enough to play as a key back or forward, runs like a mid and can have a serious impact (didn't he once kick 4 when he was shifted to CHF?). Garland would be the obvious choice to go given the report of a medial ligament injury.

Of the rest, it's not easy to pick outs. They were very good when they were good and when it went to hell there were only a couple of guys who showed any fight. Dee-luded makes a valid point on Bennell and Jetta above. Both were pretty low on output today. Jetta needs to provide a lot more grunt if he's going to hold his spot in the side, and I think he'll be on the outer once Jordie is back in shape. Bennell needs to show more than the odd flash of brilliance (I seem to recall saying the same about Jurrah too not al that long ago). I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them were to make way. Maybe for Gys or Wona, depending on who has been showing form.

I don't see a place for Newton next week, unless it's to act as a lure for a certain gorilla-like defender? I actually do like him playing in terms of our forward structure, but he costs us badly in other areas.

I know and agree with what you say. I don't blame Maric. But he was the sub before Jetta for a reason. Wonnaemirri & gysberts both played well this week, as well as the previous.

We must get the team back on track as soon as possible, so Wonna and the Gys, have to come in. The belief of the team is in the balance at this juncture, and the supporters. Keeping the faith is more important than temporarily dropping 2 young players who will get other chances.

The time is Now to protect our season and to get some momentum back. If we were to finish 13th, at seasons end, IMO, there would be trouble.

So we have to swing the axe.

The thing I find hard to take is'nt mistakes, but half hearted efforts, and being soft at the contest, is a scurge on the team. We can't let that come into our ways.

Big Juice in.

Out Watts.

Juice can read the play, Watts can learn at VFL level, is still a fair way of AFL standard. Not body wise or skill wise just can't read the play at all and shouldn't stand in the way of a better player at the moment.

I thought Jones did a job ok.

Bennel I don't think should have played another game after round 2 last year when he shat himself twice!

OUT: JETTA, JONES & GARLAND (INJ).

IN: GYSBERTS, MACDONAALD & MORTON (SUB).

I don't need to explain why Jetta & Jones need to go as we saw what was dished up by both yesterday.

To all the Maric bashers, How about we give the kid more than 1.2 games to show more FFS !!!

Anyone that has Bailey out you are just showing your lack of inntelligence. Grow up.

Guest Deefence

In: Morton, Aussie, MacDonald

Out: Grimes, Maric, Garland (inj)

Jack Grimes is killing us in turnovers, get him out!

Maric has played his last match in the red and blue, get Aussie back on the G ASAP!

Duke gets a run if Garland is injured.

Gysberts a chance but I don't see anyone being dropped for him.

All in all, I don't see too many changes for next week. A win over the Bears, and a win over the Suns puts us at 10 points going into the bye. Not too bad by all accounts.

Not that you would consider dropping hin but Liam Jurrah work harder for your kicks and stop trying for mark of the week all the time

Melb is playing the Lions this weekend. I wish to avoid the scenario of melb making minimal changes this week. Then coming out and spanking the lions with players like Dunn and jones playing well. This then buys them more weeks. I would prefer to bring in some kids and win by a point.

Nathan Jones, Lynden Dunn, Brent Moloney are not consistent. Last year it was scully and trengover leading the way in the midfield. Moloney and Jones looked to Trengove and Scully to perform. Villains for last nights game were the midfield going missing in the third qtr. I was listening to Tripple M at the game. Slyvia, Moloney, Davey and Trengove only had 1-2 touches well into the 3qtr at one stage. I can forgive Trengove as he's a second year player. The rest was unacceptable.

In the second half- Martin should have gone into the ruck and Jamar played at Full Forward. Jamar was getting beaten by a part timer in Hale. Hale seemed to get free kicks off jamar too. It would have been great experience/development for Martin. Jamar would have been a genuine option up forward for us. As Jurrah seemed lost for much of the second half.

The kick-outs from full back were shocking. This will improve next week i'm sure.

We need Gysberts to come in...the guy is a ball winner. Bate needs to come in as CHF.

I would consider dropping; Nathan Jones,Lynden Dunn,Brent Moloney,Jamie Bennell,Neville Jetta,Jack Watts

I would consider these guys; Bate, Wonnaemirrie, Gysberts, McDonald (if garland inj), Newton

Our forward line will be fine. Thought Watts was very good, especially in the first half, like many of his mates, got a bit ahead of himself after half time. Jurrah needs a rocket, as does Petterd (is he our next Robbo?), but I just want to see them play a few games together.

Anyway, changes this week;

In: MacDonald (has to play against his old club), Gysberts (sub)

Out: Garland (injured), Jetta

Maric starts on the ground. I would have a chat to him and tell him he has got 2 weeks to get his confidence back. we have Brisbane and GC, if he can't play well against either of these 2 teams, he's gone. I want to get Aussie in that forward line to create that forward pressure, and believe he is a better seniors player than reserves, but I'm giving Maric a fortnight. I don't think the FD will though.

Jones made an excellent comment on his Twitter last week, something along the lines of just watched Hawthorn's game on tape, they have a lot of good players. Very true comment, and a fair number of those players are better than our best at this stage.

Edited by billy2803

I'm sorry, nothing he could do?! He is the coach and has been working with them for 3 1/2 years! Why do you think the game was played in Hawthorn's 50? Lack of good planning and structure.

100%.

The other thing is, our match ups were poor all day. Frawley should never have played, because he couldn't play on Roughie or Franklin, so Hawthorn were able to mismatch him on Burgoyne.

Rohan Bail should not spend more time at centre clearances than other players. Rioli had poor match-ups, Trengove was the wrong guy to go with Bruce, etc...

We had about 26 points kicked on us, and maybe twice got the ball out. That's structural, which is coaching.

We really lost by 100 points yesterday on every metric except the scoreboard. This again proves the folly of Bailey's "winning quarters" mantra. We almost won 3 quarters yesterday. It's utterly irrelevant.

As for leadership when the game was hot in the 3rd, well, when you mismanage your club and get rid of Miller, Bruce and McDonald all in one go, you need not wonder where the leadership is.

Edited by Choko

Who does MFC have that would be a perfect match up for Franklin, Roughy and Rioli when we are getting smashed in the clearances?

And I am not sure what Miller would have offered you in yesterdays game beyond making the average age of the list higher?

And even when Junior, Bruce and Miller were there we still had those fade out in matches. Hmmmmm

IN / no change

OUT / no change

Dean Bailey before the game "I reckon the boys will give it a good enough crack this weekend against the Lions, we need to convert our forward line pressure into giving us 15% more opportunites in getting boot to goal. Our disposal was good for 37% of the game last week so if we can step it up to the 51% mark we have a real shot of winning 2 quarters worth, just over half a game."

100%.

The other thing is, our match ups were poor all day. Frawley should never have played, because he couldn't play on Roughie or Franklin, so Hawthorn were able to mismatch him on Burgoyne.

Rohan Bail should not spend more time at centre clearances than other players. Rioli had poor match-ups, Trengove was the wrong guy to go with Bruce, etc...

We had about 26 points kicked on us, and maybe twice got the ball out. That's structural, which is coaching.

We really lost by 100 points yesterday on every metric except the scoreboard. This again proves the folly of Bailey's "winning quarters" mantra. We almost won 3 quarters yesterday. It's utterly irrelevant.

As for leadership when the game was hot in the 3rd, well, when you mismanage your club and get rid of Miller, Bruce and McDonald all in one go, you need not wonder where the leadership is.

What happened to the popular belief that Frawley can play on the gorillas plus the LeCras types? Burgoyne should have been a great match-up, but Frawley will benefit from the gallop.

Did Trengove go to Bruce or Bruce to Trengove? Let's not forget, Bruce is very handy, but shite disposal. He played on a 2nd year player.

Bail played extrmely well on Mitchell. Again, a 2nd-ish year player on a star of the game - hold your head up high Bail.

The winning quarters mentality was highlighted yesterday, but some on here are too stupid to see it. If I were Bailey, my message at 3/4 time would have been WIN THE QUARTER. Nothing he could have done would have won that game after half time, and I challenge anyone that thinks differently. He had them up and going in the 2nd quarter, and would have been very happy with how the game was being played. I'm sure he would have loved to call a time-out at the 10 minute mark of the third quarter and told his senior players to stand up, but sadly, he can't. They shut us down, they are a lot better side than us, and the pressure in the D50 in that quarter was too hot for us. They caused us to turn the ball over too much, and that has absolutely nothing to do with our structure or coach. If you can hit targets when not under pressure, but can't hit them when you're under the pump, it says nothing about our coach. Anyone that has played the game would understand that.

Let's not forget, Hawthorn won a flag only 3 years ago, which was a couple of years before their time (popular belief), their window is well and truly open this year. Ours isn't.

Who does MFC have that would be a perfect match up for Franklin, Roughy and Rioli when we are getting smashed in the clearances?

And I am not sure what Miller would have offered you in yesterdays game beyond making the average age of the list higher?

And even when Junior, Bruce and Miller were there we still had those fade out in matches. Hmmmmm

I think our match-ups for the 2 forwards were fine. That's why we should never have played a clearly underdone Frawley.

We are meant to be improving, I'm sure you would agree. So the fact we had fade outs with McDonald and Bruce in the side is not the point. Not to mention, we have very rarely been smashed like that 3rd quarter in my memory.

If there is ever a game where Watts is going to get a chance to get some confidence, it is the next two matches against the Lions and Gold Coast.

I think Watts faded with the rest of the side. The first half, his work was quite good and his possesions and handballs were quite clean. He probably used the ball better than some of our senior players. Not sure you can single out Watts for the smashing in the third quater.

But I guess it goes to show, you can have all the youngsters in your rebuild but unless there is more experienced players to take the load, they are going to get hammered at some point in the game.

Maric must go. He is useless. But worse than that, he doesn't even look like he's trying. He looks totally lost when he doesn't have the ball. He can't keep up. He should have been fine fitness wise after playing just a half, but he didn't seem any quicker than the Hawthorn defenders. I don't buy the argument that he needs more time, I've seen enough to know he hasn't improved at all. He offers us little that we can't get from Wonaeamirri, and I know Wonna will put more in.

Out: Maric, Garland (injured)

In: Gysberts, MacDonald

Jones, Bennell and Jetta are all on the chopping block. Scully, Morton and McKenzie have their spots lined up for the taking.

At least your consistant! You are right if the sub comes on and can't make up a 40 point deficit in a quarter then he doesn't deserve to play! :wacko:

Petterd came on last week and almost won us the game and Maric? Huh six touches in a quarter playing in a forward line that was non existent is pretty ordinary. Have a look at the stats. We got beat because we got smashed out of the middle and the possessions or lack of possessions of our midfield shows the true story. Add to that the lack off possession for our forwards due to lack of delivery and the outcome. We got smashed.

Your bashing of Maric is farcical! He only played for a quarter and he other than an injured player is the one that you deem as Useless. I hope people are starting to see through your personal attacks.

Rational people would think that we need to address getting the ball out of the middle so our changes need to start there. I would also have a talk to Jurrah and tell him that he will not win the Mark of the Year every year and to stop trying to. He keeps trying to do the spectacular and often doesn't even manage to get the ball to ground so our small guys have something to go after.

That said my thoughts for next week are:

Out: Garland (Inj), Jetta, Bennell

In: Macdonald, Wonna, Gysberts