The Forward Line

beelzebub

over the last few years we've gone about building an engine. It will run all dY and in time will deliver silky dividends. Almost under the radar Melbourne have been building it's defence. Not quite the fortress (yet) but formidable and with moe games and now some top up inclusions ought to a concern for the visitors.

But even with all this, Meatloafs supposition of life unfortunately doesn't extend to footy. 2 out of 3 IS bad!! If you aren't hammering the scoreboard it's all for nought.

We have some potency but it's not the No Nonsense take no prisoners setup we've all yearned for. Cameos can't sustain in the long run . The lads needed help and that just came in spades last might at the draft. Another Taswegian jack-in-the-box in the form of Howe; what is in that water... ah yes.. Boags !!! Together with Cook will nicely round out options down the sharp end .

Jeremy and Liam can fight it out as to whom jumps over the moon first. Focus of opposition defenders will now (in due course) become very stretched.

Petterd and the likes of sooper swooper crumber Aussie will happily mop up .

There will be no resting on laurels. Competition for a spot just went up two notches .

Two out of three ain't bad but three out of three is better and what we need. BP et Co obviously saw it that way and went about plugging that hole.

We now have a team, a complete team and one with quite some depth to cater to those inevitable injuries.

The sharp end will take a little while to mesh but that engine now has the delivery vehicle it needed !!

Doesnt look so shabby up the business end. A new era having begun now will get down to the job at hand, Premierships !!

Roll on 2011, go Dees !!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our forward line has always been on track we just expected it to be there already. We have a number of players that can kick multiple goals in a game and any given day they can kick bags. Jurrah, Green, Dunn, Petterd showed in 2010 they are goal kickers, add in Watts, and our small forwards we have the goal kicking ability. Our forwards main issue is our delivery to them, the West coast game stands out we just kept kicking the ball to a West Coast defender. As our midfield gets better our forward line will look better. Saying that our tall forward depth wasn't there we have added players that add this and creates competition which will only make us better

I think this season with all our mucking around and post season interest in hale and others showed we were definitely short of the ideal setup.

I think this season with all our mucking around and post season interest in hale and others showed we were definitely short of the ideal setup.

For the past 5 or so seasons, Geelong have had nowhere near the best forward line in the league, yet it still managed to be a powerhouse. Why? Becasue of 2 things;

1. Their midfielder's were elite, and their delivery was "centimetre perfect".

2. They got a lot of goals from this elite midfield.

We are building an elite midfield, time will tell if they reach those heights. I, like everyone, can't wait to see what Scully and Trengove deliver us this year. They are the 2 blokes that can reach the heights of Ablett, Judd, etc. We need them to get there ASAP. While Davey, Sylvia and Moloney are currently our best midfielders, we really need TS and JT to pass them by a long way in the not too distant future. I think Scully will get their at times in 2011, and from 2012, I'm predicting him to be close to our best player. JT wont be far behind. This leaves blokes like Gysberts, Morton, Grimes and potentially Blease and Tapscott, to joing the levels of Flash/Col/Beamer. All of the players mentioned in this paragraph are going to form part of this elite midfield that we need to win a flag. But, I'm of the strong opinion that it will be up to Scully and Trengove to take us there (hopefully there are more, eg Sylvia and Davey taking us there, but at this stage, they still need to improve significantlly, and I'm not sure if they can get to the heights we need, which is regular Brownlow form for seasons on end). I know this opinion is going to create some discussion, but I'm being realistic with myself (which I need to otherwise I get a bit carried away!), and I don't mind if others disagree!

With that said, the thing I most want to see in 2011 is Watts at Full Forward, simple as that. While he isn't that big body that we were looking for like Hale, he's getting there! But, with this midfield hopefully taking it up a step next year, the delivery to J Watts will be better, and with his early pace, will be bloody hard to stop on a lead. If this mids need to bomb it in, well, sorry Jack, but you will be used as a step ladder for LJ (or Howe by the looks of his jump). Garry Lyon made a living, among other things, as being a step ladder for Farmer and Shaun Smith, maybe that's why he had a dodgy back??!! Why am I thinking this way? I look at how Richmond played Jack Riewoldt this year and I think to myself that Watts will be a better player than him, yet this bloke won the Coleman medal, in a team that didn't have a midfield like ours.

I am a little concerned (not to the point where I am losing sleep, but just have a hint of concern) about how our forward line will look in 2011 and beyond. Obviously we have 3 automatic slections in Watts, Jurrah and Green, and most will want to add Petterd in there, and I personally want to add Tapscott on a half forward flank, and Sylvia on the other, so where are we going to play guys like Wona, Fitz, Lucas Cook, Maric, Bate, and any others I have missed? The only thing I can think is that the true "goal sneak" has grown by about 3 inches at Melbourne, and all players that they have drafted, regardless of height, seem to have pace, stamina and above average skills below their knees. Meaning, the likes of Wona, Jetta, Maric and Bennell are competing with Petterd as our small forward.

Not sure if any of that makes sense! I'm trying to fast forward a couple of years and look at our team structure in all divisions, and I'm just not sure what the plan is! This isn't a bad thing, it may be something that Bailey is developing that could potentially change the way the game is played for the next 10 years. Teams wanted to be like Geelong, now they are trying to be like Collingwood, maybe, just maybe throughouot this decade they will want to have a structure and game plan like Melbourne's.

Edited by billy2803

Watts will never be a FF.

Why not?

I think his best position for the next 3 years is Full Forward. Still think he lacks a bit of confidence to play high up the ground, and sometimes his decision making can cost us. At full forward, there's ganerally not many options! If this kid can kick 30-45 goals this season, it will be a totally different Jack Watts that takes the field in 2012. Just my view.

Whilst Green filled a role up forward I dont necessarily see that as his realm

Whilst Green filled a role up forward I dont necessarily see that as his realm

Bloody hard one B59. The bloke can play anywhere, so where is he best sutied for team success? Coming off a 50+ goal season, and not getting any younger, is he better off starting forward and moving up the ground when the game is there to be won? I think he is. This may allow us to get an extra year or two out of him, although I'm a little bit gun-shy planning extra years for a 30+ aged player!

Having Green start forward will allow the gametime for Blease/Strauss? That's why Bails gets paid the big bucks for these decisions!

Green was more than capable as a fillin but he is far more potent as a winger midfielder. We just went and got 2-3 forwards so I'm thinking the club doesn't see the current set up as being all it might. Not denigrating Brad at all. If he is our next capt I want him all over not stuck in square. That's better suited to Beefier and taller bloke. I'm not sure which of Cook or Watts the club sees as the natural FF . Maybe Watts flanked by Howe and Petterd with Cook at HF. Time will tell

I think we're missing one "big" tall to play as a permanent forward. It's someone that isn't necessarily the main inside 50 target, but is a big, strong mark and demands enough attention that he attracts a big defender wherever he goes.

If we have that, plus Watts, Petterd and Jurrah from 80-odd metres out all the way to the goal-square we're looking pretty good, aren't we?

The problem is, I think we're a way off this big target man. While Jurrah and Petterd (plus Green for another year or two) have shown they can kick multiple goals, we don't have anyone that has shown they can play 10-15 consistent goal-kicking games in a row. That makes our forward line unreliable. Potentially potent, but not consistently damaging.

We also don't have a crumbing, forward pressure small who has been able to stand up consistently. I'm not too worried that one or two out of Aussie, Binell, Maric, Nail, Jetta could do it, but we need someone hitting form and holding their spot in the team to do it well

Another point to note is that I think we don't get enough inside 50s (don't have the stats on me but remember us not being too high on the list). Our forward line is actually quite efficient, i would guess, in terms of turning our genuine scoring opportunities into goals. Hopefully our maturing midfield (and some improved run out of the back half) will imrpove this.

I think we're missing one "big" tall to play as a permanent forward. It's someone that isn't necessarily the main inside 50 target, but is a big, strong mark and demands enough attention that he attracts a big defender wherever he goes.

If we have that, plus Watts, Petterd and Jurrah from 80-odd metres out all the way to the goal-square we're looking pretty good, aren't we?

The problem is, I think we're a way off this big target man. While Jurrah and Petterd (plus Green for another year or two) have shown they can kick multiple goals, we don't have anyone that has shown they can play 10-15 consistent goal-kicking games in a row. That makes our forward line unreliable. Potentially potent, but not consistently damaging.

We also don't have a crumbing, forward pressure small who has been able to stand up consistently. I'm not too worried that one or two out of Aussie, Binell, Maric, Nail, Jetta could do it, but we need someone hitting form and holding their spot in the team to do it well

Another point to note is that I think we don't get enough inside 50s (don't have the stats on me but remember us not being too high on the list). Our forward line is actually quite efficient, i would guess, in terms of turning our genuine scoring opportunities into goals. Hopefully our maturing midfield (and some improved run out of the back half) will imrpove this.

With respect to clearances & stoppages, I'm rather keen to see the development of Blease, Tapscott & Gysberts. All things considered our midfield IMO must be a well oiled machine, because we've been pretty poor the last few years. Some would put it simply disgraceful. But we just haven't had the quality and nous to compete against the more than competitive clubs. But we've begun to see the dynamics change for the better (Scully, McKenzie, Trengove). I understand that we'll get JV soon enough - I'm just hopeful Gysberts, Blease,.. can be significant.

If we improve our midfield to such an expected level, we should end up efficient enough to significantly increase our i50's and this should in effect pound the scoreboard. Can't stress enough a pristine midfield with additional options (flexibility to go forward or back) is what is required.

Green was more than capable as a fillin but he is far more potent as a winger midfielder.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. IMO he is far more damaging as a forward and should play about 80%+ of his time there for the rest of his career.

We drafted well (imho) but don't expect to see Cook, Howe and McDonald in the seniors in 2011. Talls take longer.

Our forward line will still be a bit makeshift, but capable. Green is a motza for FF until someone taller puts their hand up. If the selection committee has the wisdom to listen to sound advice, it should line up:

Jurrah Green 2nd Ruck/Jamar

Petterd Watts Wona

in 2012/2013 look to see Cook, Howe and McDonald pushing for inclusion. Also maybe Tappscott.

We drafted well (imho) but don't expect to see Cook, Howe and McDonald in the seniors in 2011. Talls take longer.

Our forward line will still be a bit makeshift, but capable. Green is a motza for FF until someone taller puts their hand up. If the selection committee has the wisdom to listen to sound advice, it should line up:

Jurrah Green 2nd Ruck/Jamar

Petterd Watts Wona

in 2012/2013 look to see Cook, Howe and McDonald pushing for inclusion. Also maybe Tappscott.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Howe line up at some stage next year. He has a mature body and is that little bit older. With LJ, Petterd and Howe in the same area its going to be interesting to see how we "structure up". (please excuse footy cliche.) All three rely on desperate and spectacular marking. I hope they don't jump on each other. LJ and Petterd are extemely creative but unpredictable players who generate opportunities out of nothing. I hope Howe is as well. It makes me think that Green should still be played in front of goal because he is more predicable to our midfielders. He runs to the right places and presents consistently. This gives the midfielders more idea. The other two are wildcards. Anything can happen (and will). It remains to be seen what Howe will do. Dunne also provides a more predictable target. One thing is for sure, they will be potent and difficult to match up on. We haven't really seen a forward line with Ricky P, Aussie and LJ operating together as yet. Talk about exciting! Howe adds another spark, with Dunne, Green and possibly Bate adding solidity.

I haven't even mentioned Watts. His value at present, seem to be playing further up the field, gathering the ball and delivering to the best option, rather than presenting as a main target. He is very good at this and will continue to improve.

Exciting times!

Edited by btdemon

A fully fit Jurrah, Sylvia and Pettard.

Ohhh.... it makes my mouth water.

As for Green, I love him in the forward line, but I think he will be used a lot more in the midfield this year

Last season we had McDonald, he's gone now. Moloney is good. Jones is a player we need but needs support. Davey is awesome. The rest are first or 2nd year players. And while its going to be awesome in a few years with all the young players. I think we will struggle a little without Green.

A fully fit Jurrah, Sylvia and Pettard.

Ohhh.... it makes my mouth water.

As for Green, I love him in the forward line, but I think he will be used a lot more in the midfield this year

Last season we had McDonald, he's gone now. Moloney is good. Jones is a player we need but needs support. Davey is awesome. The rest are first or 2nd year players. And while its going to be awesome in a few years with all the young players. I think we will struggle a little without Green.

Why does everyone think Green will be in the midfield next year? Bailey has already said that he will spend more time in the forward line than he did this season. He's our best forward, case closed.

Why does everyone think Green will be in the midfield next year? Bailey has already said that he will spend more time in the forward line than he did this season. He's our best forward, case closed.

It isn't everyone...

He'll be there more and more until he retires.

It'll mean an extra two years probably.

Just on the forward line - Howe or Cook will be playing all but one or two of their games for Casey.

We will play Spencer as the back up to Jamar and they will move from the FP, the bench, and the ruck.

So Spencer, Green, Jurrah, Watts, Sylvia, Petterd, Dunn, Bate, Maric, Wonaeamirri, and Bennell will be thought of to provide a balanced and effective forward line in 2011 and the medium term.

Cook, Howe, Fitzpatrick, and Gawn will not be around the best 22 for a while yet.

Some on here are expecting more they can deliver, or will be asked to deliver, and they are just setting themselves up to be impatient and then disappointed.

Watts will never be a FF.

Agree with this. He's a point guard. His best games for us have been when he played like one. He has amazing vision and really good passing skills, and will happily float to 60m from goal and nail the pass to one of our other forwards. That seems to be more his style than playing from the square and kicking them himself, although he is more than capable of doing so.

I don't think we should be overly worried about structures yet.

But for next year I think Brad Green should play deep Full Forward. He's our most reliable on the lead/one on one. Watts isn't ready yet for this position, but I wont say he ever will be. I didn't ever think Jack Riewoldt would be a contested marking player and in the space of half a season he became the best in the league. Jurrah can become a target for injury when played deep and I think its much better to have him floating. Petterd is best played rotated through positions, to use his work rate and use his talent to out mark smalls.

Cook will be at Casey! A game or 2 would be good for him but lets not rush things. Dunn is best played similarly to Petterd. Bate must be used up the ground but I'm not sure if he's best 22 unless he adds the ability to chase and tackle. Two of Bennell, Wona, Maric, Jetta and Tapscott should be in the side.

I don't know where Howe fits, but on percentages I don't think he'll be ready early in the year. It took Jurrah half a season to crack a game and he's a freak!

The missing piece remains the ruck/forward option. Jamar can do this if we have a second ruck good enough to become the number 1 - Spencer, Gawn, possilby the Fitz could do this. We might take a step backwards next year by pumping games into the Spence. If he has improved as much as the reports say it will be positive. Otherwise we are looking at Newton, Martin, Fitzpatrick, McDonald and maybe someone grabbed in the rookie draft.

Agree with this. He's a point guard. His best games for us have been when he played like one. He has amazing vision and really good passing skills, and will happily float to 60m from goal and nail the pass to one of our other forwards. That seems to be more his style than playing from the square and kicking them himself, although he is more than capable of doing so.

I think all of Watts, Jurrah and Cook are suited to this role. Even possibly Howe, Bate, Dunn et al.

They'll spend time rotating between playing upfield, 60m out from goal or further and then into the goalsquare.

By doing so, they will wear out defenders through pure workrate a la a bloke like Nick Riewoldt.

We are building a team of interchangeable hard running tall forwards with huge engines and precise skills.

A formidable proposition for our opponents.

Our own forward version of the crow-bots.

Edited by E25

Why not?

I think his best position for the next 3 years is Full Forward. Still think he lacks a bit of confidence to play high up the ground, and sometimes his decision making can cost us. At full forward, there's ganerally not many options! If this kid can kick 30-45 goals this season, it will be a totally different Jack Watts that takes the field in 2012. Just my view.

There's nothing wrong with Watts' decison-making, if you don't know what i'm talking about check out Willie Nelson's Hesitation Blues on UTube. When WAtts demands the ball, and the players actually honour his leads, and he doesn't try to second guess everything just goes for it, we will be on our way.

I think all of Watts, Jurrah and Cook are suited to this role. Even possibly Howe, Bate, Dunn et al.

They'll spend time rotating between playing upfield, 60m out from goal or further and then into the goalsquare.

By doing so, they will wear out defenders through pure workrate a la a bloke like Nick Riewoldt.

We are building a team of interchangeable hard running tall forwards with huge engines and precise skills.

A formidable proposition for our opponents.

Our own forward version of the crow-bots.

It is that flexibility that will be a key to causing problems for opposing defences. Its a forward line filled with genuine markng targets with good endurance who can all move between deep in the forward line and the wing. Its a potent recipe for confusing opposing sides as players drift up to the wing and back losing their opponents or making them wonder who they should be matching up on.

Jezza Howes is listed at 190 and 80 with a 14+ beep test so with an AFL pre season can't see why he won't enter 2011 season at around 83 to 85 kgs and be a chance to play senior foooty. Seems to have the combination of good endurance, good footy smarts, great well timed leap, ability to mark out front or with arms fully extended and good goal and positional kicking to make an impact.

Edited by demoniac

I wouldn't be surprised to see Howe line up at some stage next year. He has a mature body and is that little bit older.

He may be in for a game or two, but not as a regular. While it is true he is a couple of years older that the other three recruits, I don't rate the strength of the South Tassie competition as highly as the VFL. Howe will start out at Casey, and play most of his games there in 2011 unless we have some dire injuries.

Remember we have a bunch of young ruck hopefuls who should get time in the senior forward line next year to see what they are made of and to let them see what the required standard is. At the moment, would you rate Howe ahead of Dunn? Ahead of Bate? And they may not make it as a regulars in 2011.