MFC Training (Monday)

Bhima

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's better than Cheney and if it guys like Strauss competing for his position, he's safe. Strauss needs to find the mojo to compete at AFL

Agreed. In regards to Bail I believe he's better suited to a wing thus pumping the ball forward even sneaking a few goals.

Haha some of you are ridiculous. You're so quick to say give this player time he's only a kid, give this ruckman more time he needs to develop yet as soon as it's a young mid or defender its expected he's just going to be drafted straight into elite. Dane Swan was shocking for 6 years. Guys like Strauss in particular along with Bail were drafted for their athletism and kicking ability with the idea to work on minor points of the game. Half of you have written off players with 2 years under their belt on one post someone said Trengrove might not make it because he'll end up too stocky.

Seriously, think before we post

All young players have flaws and to different degrees.

Judgement calls are being made based on the time the player has had to improve on a certain aspect and the severity of the flaw.

Edited by E25

However if Strauss learns to compete for the ball, he will be in contention very quickly. His kicking is a weapon rather than a 50/50 proposition.

I remember Diamond Jim Tilbrook had his kicking as a weapon. It was just a pity he never actually got in and got the ball much.

At the moment, its a big if.

Agreed. In regards to Bail I believe he's better suited to a wing thus pumping the ball forward even sneaking a few goals.

The days of midfielders playing one position with only attack instincts are gone. Mid sized players today need to be highly mobile and effective in attack and defensive skills. Many traditional football positions blur in the actuality of player. The attributes which people rightly laud in Bail on the win are equally applicable to the small defender role.

The power of self reflection missing when its most needed.

The power of self reflection missing when its most needed.

Tell me which part of my post was not thought through properly. Mentioning that people speak before they think hit a nerve for the infamous RR who regularly has some 'contentious' calls

I don't mind if he plays off the wing or the half back line. Time will tell if he'll be a good defender or good in the clinches. But I like his dash & run & carry, so if he can use those skills to break the lines, then thats what I'm hoping for, and for him to develop all the skills he needs.

But we are currently short for players breaking lines & using well.

We have them on the list, we need them to perform.

Haha some of you are ridiculous. You're so quick to say give this player time he's only a kid, give this ruckman more time he needs to develop yet as soon as it's a young mid or defender its expected he's just going to be drafted straight into elite. Dane Swan was shocking for 6 years. Guys like Strauss in particular along with Bail were drafted for their athletism and kicking ability with the idea to work on minor points of the game. Half of you have written off players with 2 years under their belt on one post someone said Trengrove might not make it because he'll end up too stocky.

Players are always going to be judged through there development, That's just the way It goes. From now on nobody post anything, at least not for 5 or 6 years. I made the comment on Trengove. I never said he wouldn't make it I said I'm scared he'll become a plodder which happens to players. at draft camp he had excellent speed but from being at a couple of training sessions he looks a lot bigger and thicker through the hips which can make players one paced. You can slag me off all you like but somebody else made the same sorta comment after being at training so maybe I'm not seeing things.

Bartram and Strauss aren't competing for the same spot. If Strauss were to come on then he would shunt Macdonald out of the team, Bartram's a great stopper and a great competitor, he's never going to match Strauss with disposal and he doesn't need to to retain his spot. Bail's a different fish again. The reason he could end up playing in the back half is because he's no 22 in the team and Bartram's number 23.

bartrams disposal is far from the best in our team and nor is it damaging, yet his disposal efficiency is pretty good this season, in most of his matches, and comparable with most of the other players. mind you he is not the first person i would pick coming out of defence, but his disposal has greatly improved and was usually able to hit targets. and i am not saying these disposals were damaging 50 m kicks, but rather short chips 20 odd metres to a player in a better position, or a handball to another player, but he is definately a player who works within his strengths, and knows his limitations.

i agree, he should play 22 games this year barring injury, as he was rarely defensively beaten this season.

i would not want bail in such a negative role, i can see him off the back flank, on the wing, or even as seen a few times this season on the forward flank, bail is a swing man, can play most roles, hopefully we do not rope him into a back pocket role, as i feel it would waste, what i think could be a game breaker in the future and even this season.

i agree, he should play 22 games this year barring injury, as he was rarely defensively beaten this season.

However, the best part of having such a young talented team is that NO-ONE automatically gets 22 this year... Damn I love it :wub:

Guest DeesPower

Understand the sentiment but Bartram's disposal under pressure is not his strong suit.

I think actually it is his decision-making at crucial times. I can think of two occasions last year where you could argue his poor decisions cost us the game, particularly against the Dogs in the rain at the MCG. I think he is similar to Bruce in that respect, and that is why i believe he wont be in our best 22 when we vie for the flag.

Really.

If you disagree, who do you think would be worse than Bartram?

I don't consider Newton as he's on the rookie list.

Clint isn't a great kick, but he beats the hell out of Stef Martin, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jake Spencer and even the big Russian may struggle to get past him.

Clint isn't a great kick, but he beats the hell out of Stef Martin, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jake Spencer and even the big Russian may struggle to get past him.

So a small player is a better kick than a ruckman. Thanks for that.

Bartram is a dodgy kick but a very good defender. If we can fill the team with equally good defenders then someone will take his role and as suggested above it might be Bail. But we firstly need to get all those other players up to speed. Even then Bartram might have an advantage over Joel Mac who is a slightly better kick but doesn't have the pace to be such a good stopping defender.

I think actually it is his decision-making at crucial times. I can think of two occasions last year where you could argue his poor decisions cost us the game, particularly against the Dogs in the rain at the MCG. I think he is similar to Bruce in that respect, and that is why i believe he wont be in our best 22 when we vie for the flag.

You're actually blaming his decision making for thinking an umpire was one of your players on a night which was pouring rain, and there was a distinct clash between our pink jumpers and the stupid pink umpires?

I would like to see Bartram back in our midfield as the defensive tagger, IMO he is the best on our list to fill this role. The issue we have is Bartram is also our best small defender and we need him to play in the Back Pocket on dangerous small forwards. It's funny most, me included had Bartram gone in 2010 now he is very much an important player.

The Dogs is a bad example for obvious reasons and why can't he be in our best 22 when vying for a flag ? He is the best backpocket at Melbourne ATM. The guy has lifted his game every year so whats to say he won't do it again and again. The guys played 80 games and is 22 y/o there is a large scope for improvement.