MFC Training (Monday)

Bhima

Managed to get down to training again today, will try and talk about players that didn't get a mention on Friday.

Firstly just want to say it was exciting to be at training today as the boys looked in really good nick and it was an impressive session...

Rohan Bail: Like Scully, Bail looks like a finely tuned athlete. He was really impressive today with his kicking and hard running, and where other players were clearly showing the pinch from a high octane session, he continued to run hard. He doesn't seem to have any great weaknesses and with the reduced interchange, Bail's hard running and speed will make him even more valuable. Really good signs.

Jordie McKenzie: I'm a massive McKenzie fan, and he continues to show good signs. I've noticed that he is a powerful kick on both sides of his body at both training sessions I've seen this year. He kicks a 'heavy' ball that is flat and penetrating. Although he tends to rack up the handballs in games, I'm hoping to see him kicking more over short distances as he is very effective and more impressive than the likes of Trengove on the non-preferred foot (at least during kicking drills at training)

Jack Trengove: Not sure what to make of Trenners. He is clearly looking bigger in the hips and biceps, but is not looking overly fit, if that makes sense. He and Scully were doing similar drills and where Scully would burst clear from the pack and kick powerfully, JT in comparison looked lumbering and his kicks were more floaters than stab passes. In both sessions I have hardly noticed Jack. He is one of my favourites but looked a little slow today.

Mark Jamar: The Russian was back today and throwing himself all over the place, very high energy and moving freely. Great to see him out there.

James Frawley: Back at training also and looking bloody fit. He was standing a couple of meters away from me and his arms are massive. He didn't complete all drills but stuck around for the whole session and looks to be easing back into training. He looks super confident and is an imposing figure on the training track.

Brad Green: Like Frawley, partially involved in training but looked fit.

Liam Jurrah: LJ was in a side group of players who did not take part in the main training session. This was a group of eight players including those coming of surgery or injury. He seemed to be moving well and unhindered. His short kicking off the left and right foot was a highlight during the session, it is flat and accurate and seemingly effortless. Would have loved to see him leading out of the goal square but not today.

Addam Maric: Maric was one of the players that looked like he was knackered during training, but he didn't ever stop or slow down, just regularly had hands on hips and looking out of puff. His kicking today was excellent, really flat and accurate. He looks in good shape but seems to me that he will need to get fitter if he is going to crack the first team this year. Trained well last Friday showing clean hands and hopefully he can keep working hard.

Lynden Dunn: Dunno what to make of Dunn. He looks like an absolute unit, but more in the Jamar way than the Frawley way. He is pretty funny to watch going through his kicking routine when taking shots on goal, certainly takes his time, throwing tufts of grass into the air and so on. He was kicking well and very vocal, the mo going strong. Not sure if that's the weight he will play at next year but he is certainly chunky atm.

Ricky Petterd: Full session for Ricky and looking good, kicking well on goal and seems ready to go.

Sam Blease: Was kicking well and I saw some evidence of his vertical jumping capacity. On several occasions a ball looked to be going over his head only for him to spring up and pluck it. I have been concerned that due to his injury we might never see his true talents, but he was exciting to watch and looks to be progressing well.

Jamie Bennell: He is looking really fit, never slowed down throughout the session and a real feature are his hands on the lead. He has sticky fingers and is a one grab player on the lead. He was dropped from the team late last year but based on training so far this year he would be a certainty to make the starting 22.

Notable omissions:

No Jack Watts or Matty Bate, and for obvious reasons A Wonnaemirri.

Overall the session was highlighted by impressive skills, hard running and high speed activities. If anyone has played ultimate frisbee, they were playing the same type of game but using a tennis ball instead. It was non-stop man on man competition (teams of 10 per side) and the some of the guys looked stuffed after about 10 minutes. Steph Martin was showing some impressive speed which I haven't seen for a long time. Morton actually looked a bit bigger out there as well and his shoulders are finally starting to fill out a bit. Bartram and Bennell also really quick.

Lots of kicking drills today and once again, Jake Spencer looking good. At one point he received a hand pass, ran a good ten meters and drilled a forty metre pass lace out to the leading Jamar, ignoring the shorter lead from Brad Green (meaning that he actually looked up and used his vision). The whole group was applauding and everyone seems really impressed with Jake's improvement. Nate Jones was kicking beautifully today and the more I see of him the happier I am we signed him up.

I'll be away from three weeks or so, so that will be it for training updates for a while. I wasn't that excited after Friday's training session, as the team looks so young and the skills were sub par, but with a few more senior players out there today and a lift in intensity, the Dees are looking very good.

Any further Q's feel free to ask.

Cheers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the club has deliberately bulked Dunn up then I don't understand it. Yes he played well up forward but I see nothing to suggest he's a KPP who needs bulk. In my opinion he is a tall flanker who needs to be fit and mobile to play his best footy. He's a weapon if he is used as a player who can chase, tackle, lead up and double back and use his size to out mark smaller defenders. But if they attempt to make him a CHF/FF I think he will dominate VFL but struggle at AFL level.

Trengove definitely struggled as the year went on. I'm hope he was just having a sluggish day and isn't still getting over the effects of a tough first season.

Thanks for the report! I was there for a bit also. I have a concern that Trenners will become a plodder, hes getting big through the hips, arse and legs. I hope to be proven wrong but he looked slow on friday and slow today

i said something similar to this in the last couple of rounds about trenners n got verbally attacked by others on this site!

i said something similar to this in the last couple of rounds about trenners n got verbally attacked by others on this site!

You dont have to say much to get verbally attacked on here!

It's just an opinion and thats what Im seeing when I look at him. Maybe after a big pre season he'll be fine.

Incredible!!

You got shouted down for writing off a teenager in his first season?!

Sometimes, the world makes you feel better when you realise the masses aren't that stupid afterall.

Great report and greatly appreciated Bhima. I'm especially pleased that Rohan Bail is looking good. I think he's an exciting prospect, and a likely candidate to fill Bruce's role off HB (only with better disposal).

Great report and greatly appreciated Bhima. I'm especially pleased that Rohan Bail is looking good. I think he's an exciting prospect, and a likely candidate to fill Bruce's role off HB (only with better disposal).

Interesting.

I have Bail potentially challenging Bartrams role.

Thanks Bhima for the informative report.

If reply to a few questions...

Col Sylvia was up and about again today, although as the weather was a little more benign today his skills were not as prominent. Fortunately his high skill level was matched by many of his other team mates. What I've liked is his attitude at training, chasing hard even when the result is beyond doubt, keeping all the players around him on their toes with his physical presence and willingness to tackle hard (though not recklessly). He also seems a like a pretty happy bloke these days and at ease with his place at the footy club.

On Blease, I have no medical insight and had based my fears on what I had seen at both training and in the VFL last year, and on Nathan Brown who was never as good after a similar injury. So, in other words, my fears about Blease are fairly irrational and based only on limited observations. Ultimately, I'm rapt to see him out there and considering B Prendergast's good form as our recruiting manager it will be exciting to see how he comes on.

Edited by Bhima

I hope not.

Bartram played as a defensive 'stopper' small defender for most of this year, and it was a position he played successfully. Bartram can play that position well because he has great physical attributes (above average speed, endurance and strength), but he is limited in his skill execution, decision making and creativity.

Bail also has elite physical attributes, however I see Bail as being a much more creative player who can provide drive as a dashing flanker/wingman. I would like to see Bail used more as an attacking weapon than a defensive stopper.

On Blease, I have no medical insight and had based my fears on what I had seen at both training and in the VFL last year, and on Nathan Brown who was never as good after a similar injury. So, in other words, my fears about Blease are fairly irrational and based only on limited observations. Ultimately, I'm rapt to see him out there and considering B Prendergast's good form as our recruiting manager it will be exciting to see how he comes on.

You're not the only one. Plenty of people have wondered if he would ever regain his explosive pace on these boards over the last year or two. It's a huge relief that he seems to be coming along so well.

Bail has managed to get up the midfield a lot more than bartram ever has...it was rohan bail who kicked the ball to pettard in the goal square against pies.

i hope bail takes over from bruce...but i hope he can add another dimension with his speed...something bruce never had for us.

Managed to get down to training again today, will try and talk about players that didn't get a mention on Friday.

Great report ( JK !! ...I mean Bhima).

Look forward for more informative reports from you soon.... :wub:

Thanks for the report! I was there for a bit also. I have a concern that Trenners will become a plodder, hes getting big through the hips, arse and legs. I hope to be proven wrong but he looked slow on friday and slow today

To my way of thinking it's not fair to compare Trenners fitness with Sculls. Sculls ran out the season well,,, where I hear that Trenners body was getting tired & sore.

To my way of thinking the tired body would require a bigger rest, to recover, prior to starting a big heavy pre - season schedule. It takes 2 - 4 years to develop a big tank & a resilient body.

He's on his way.

If the club has deliberately bulked Dunn up then I don't understand it. Yes he played well up forward but I see nothing to suggest he's a KPP who needs bulk. In my opinion he is a tall flanker who needs to be fit and mobile to play his best footy. He's a weapon if he is used as a player who can chase, tackle, lead up and double back and use his size to out mark smaller defenders. But if they attempt to make him a CHF/FF I think he will dominate VFL but struggle at AFL level.

Trengove definitely struggled as the year went on. I'm hope he was just having a sluggish day and isn't still getting over the effects of a tough first season.

He may be gonna' play high, Millers role, similar style. If Watts has been playing from the square @ training? Jurrah on a flank with Hi Ho on the other. Green, Watts, & Wonna all deep.

Competition for spots, where will Bater be?

Edited by dee-luded