• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Good Bruce Bad Bruce

Deemolition Man

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've actually never been a big fan... Some people seem a bit shattered. I'm not and see it as another opportunity to continue to go forth with youth on our side. I understand some senior players are needed but would rather the likes of Moloney, Green and Davey passing on wisdom and leadership than Bruce. If he had of played another year, fine. But I don't think its a major lose.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply: he wasn't good enough for us to really miss him and it will provide more opportunities for the kids to get games.

And they need them.

Also a dog of an act to leave it til the very last minute.

How? what difference is it going to make?

we could have traded him to the gold coast n got a draft pick if he had of notified the club of his wish to move on earlier

If he had have made the decision known earlier we could have planned better, put him up for trade.

If he's peddling the line that money & years weren't the issue, then he knew his answer a long time ago or at least should have.

What was he wanting - the club to lie to him that he was in their plans for the next 4 years?

He has been dealt with honestly and this is how he replies. I'm sure CJ was told he was seen as a future player at the blues.

If Bruce underperforms at the hawks he'll be out after 1 year.

There is no valid excuse for his answer coming so late.

It's a dog act in my book.

Feel very sorry for him. If the story he gave the club is correct then he lacks the confidence in his own ability to hold his place in a young emerging team. Sad for him that he won't finish as a one club player and somewhat staggered that the Hawks have a place for him and can guarantee that place to his satisfaction.

It's been one recruiting coup after another at Hawthorn. Hale (at >$400k), Cheney and now Brucey with his price tag. Their premiership odds must be skyrocketing!!! :)

I'm of the opinion it's a bad thing. We are still a very young team and require experience and leadership to steady us at times. IMO he has actually had a very good 2010, i know he is widely criticised on this forum but he is a consistent performer week in and week out.

That said, my disappointment is not directed at the club. They have a hard line policy on players over 30, Bruce knew this going into the season, and i think it's a fair one. If he really felt that insecure with his position that he needed the guarantee of a second year than i think that's more of an issue with confidence in his ability to perform into his 30's. At his age i would've thought he should be happy with the career he's had at Melbourne and stick around to lend his experience and guidance to the young boys.

Poor form from Brucey, especially given that we get nothing out of it.

I have to preface what I'm about to say with the comment that Cameron Bruce has acted quite within his rights to look after his interests in the twilight of his career. If he felt his opportunities or the commercial deal offered elsewhere were better then I can't argue with that at all.

I also believe that on 2010 form, he would still have been an on field asset next year but don't believe it would have been appropriate to guarantee him a place in the team in 2011 or beyond. In the circumstances therefore, it was best that player and club both part ways and move on.

On the question of leadership, I can't say that his departure from the scene is bad for the club. I think a young club needs to have strong, confident and decisive leadership - someone with a no nonsense tough approach. That's not how Cam Bruce came across to me. It just wasn't his nature and that's reflected in some measure in the reasons he gave for his departure.

The good thing is that we have a number of young players who need to step into the breach and I'm confident we have the calibre of player at the club capable of doing so. Bruce's departure will only help bring this about sooner rather than later.

Yeah. Pretty typical. No fan website is ever going to vote 100% that a player leaving was a "good" thing.

I think it's a bit of both. For 2011, it hurts us. People have forgotten quickly what it was like to watch a team completely full of kids. Maturity is key, and with him gone, a big chunk of what little we had is gone. They are also quick to forget how good a 2010 he had.

But there are plusses. The club stuck to its guns. It sets a theme here. Players in the future will know they can't "bargain" themselves into a position where the club will have to take a risk. And that's a good thing.

All in all, I voted bad, because it'll hurt us next year. A 2011/12 retirement would have been more fair for both parties. But even having voted "bad", it's a good reminder of what a cutthroat industry the AFL is. In the past we've been kind, and it's gotten us on a fast track to the middle.

I am going against the tide here, I think we should have kept junior for an extra year and am pretty dissapointed the way he was forced to retire, I also believe Bruce is good value, he a certainly lost his speed and skill has wavered but he still has the footy smarts and leadership, captain and vice captain gone in one year. Only time will tell if this is a good call or bad call, IMO it's put us 1 or 2 years behind in development my reasons being that Davey is excellent with the aboriginal boys but not so sure he is an out and out leader, moloney is a leader and very passionate but his body may be his biggest let down, this brings green who has rarely been spoken about a leader previous years and now the loss of his best mate does this have any affect on his relationship with the club? One would hope not, but who knows. Who's left? Jack grimes?? Is he another moloney?? Anyhow I'm a bit dissapointed but time will tell

Bad for 2 reasons.

1. It's one year too soon. He finished 6th in our B&F and had at least one good year left in him. I don't think we would have retired Junior if we had known that Bruce was leaving. An ominous sign was his absence from the China trip. He clearly had a decent offer from somewhere else and was waying up his options.

2. The timing is poor. This should have been stitched up during trade week. We could have linked him to the Cheney deal as a 2 for 1 offer and maybe picked up the round 1 compensation pick that the hawks used for David Hale. Or we could have pressed the hawks to swap their 38th draft pick for Cameron.

It is probable that we had these types of discussions in trade week but we couldn't close the deal. Now we've been blindsided and have nothing to show for it.

As our highest payed player for years he did not give good value for money. The clean out is complete now. Many of the long standing players that have recently departed alI too often left an unsatisfying feeling. They bring you up in ordinary games and drop you down when the crunch came. Only McDonald, Wheatley and Whelen I felt some sadness for. The last two hampered by too many injuries. But they all got 10 years plus here and their time was up. It is telling Brad still remains. For many years he was wasted plugging midfield and defensive holes because some of his peers were not up to it. Now is is playing where he should have all his career.

And I agree it was bad form by him to leave his decision for the last minute. To me it was likely he had a deal stitched up elsewhere far earlier. He left with an up yours attitude.

Edited by america de cali

I'm sure there's lots we don't know, but losing a 10+ year veteran with 1 or 2 more good years in him cannot be a good thing. I thought his form last season was great - he probably over-achieved in what the team needed him to do. We have very quickly gone from being top-heavy age/experience-wise to the opposite. I think he'll be missed.

And why do the words "Ricky" and "Nixon" never appear in a news article I enjoy reading?

Edited by TopCorner

I don't post often but this has got me [censored] off.

I voted bad. Not because Bruce has left.

If he doesn't like what we have offered then there are 16 other clubs - He put us over a barrel last time round and the club has to stick to its guns.

What has raised my ire is the fact that he has screwed the club by not enabling them to get something for him in return.

Poor form by Bruce when he has over a decade's relationship with the club.

Its good he is gone. He just doesn't have the disposal skills to execute our game plan. I'm not going to miss his helicopter kicks and hospital handpasses. The only bad thing is that he leaves us without compensation. Its pretty bad. I'm sure he was 1 of the highest paid players at our club for a long time. To leave looking for money at the age of 31, well that just stinks.

I'm so disappointed with Cameron. He was a life member, a B&F, and stood with us during some very dark times. Our worst game in recent memory was the 150th anniversary debacle against Geelong in 2008. We got shellacked that day, but Cameron put his body on the line against hopeless odds. Now he decides to walk out just 2 days before training starts.

We'd better get used to it. This will become the norm in 2-3 years time when the league brings in free agency. Good players will try to move to the clubs with a greater perceived chance of winning a flag. It worked for Luke Ball and Darren Jolly.

Its good he is gone. He just doesn't have the disposal skills to execute our game plan. I'm not going to miss his helicopter kicks and hospital handpasses. The only bad thing is that he leaves us without compensation. Its pretty bad. I'm sure he was 1 of the highest paid players at our club for a long time. To leave looking for money at the age of 31, well that just stinks.

Opens up a spot for someone who wants to play for the club.

See yah Bruce. Don't slam the door on the way out. :blink:

It would have been great for him too stay! Great servant to the MFC and quite entitled to move on if it is in his best interest.

HOWEVER, lets move on quickly from this. There are so many positives with Bruce's spot up for grabs in the team. Payers like Bail, Tapscott, Jetta, etc. get a real shot at playing in the best 22. Dont forget we have injured players to come back that will force some others out. Grimes, Petterd, Davey, etc.

It's a real opportunity for players too say hey. I want Bruce's spot! We have plenty of depth on our list.

Leadership is'nt a problem for the MFC I believe. Green, Davey, Moloney and Rivers have the experience and the leadership. Grimes, Frawley, Watts, Scully and Trengove, etc. will be great leaders too.

I dont think we will miss Bruce too much...

Edited by jungle dee

Simply: he wasn't good enough for us to really miss him and it will provide more opportunities for the kids to get games.

And they need them.

Also a dog of an act to leave it til the very last minute.

I concur..in spades.

A Judas