Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

Bruce was apparantly unhappy with the way Jnr was ushered off the list, yet he missed how many weeks with that hamstring injury? Hate to sound like I'm knocking the guy, but he was probably, maybe, possibly past his use by date. Was Cam actually unable to see the logic behind the decision? Cam Bruce was once upon a time; a gun. He doesn't have half as much influence on games as he once did. Soft as butter as well.

So we now have fairwelled our captain, vice-captain and member of the leadership group (Miller). Expect to see Grimes, Frawley, Pettard and co. really step it up a notch and back up the senior players.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce was apparantly unhappy with the way Jnr was ushered off the list,

Not that I'm saying this is not so, but where did this revelation come from?

Was he quoted? Did his manager says so? Was a club spokesman quoted? A reporter?

Or was this some posters assumption which others subsequently took as gospel?

Just curious.

Oh well good luck to Brucey, he had great hands and was a decent kick in his younger days.

He can look forward to training with his mate Brent Guerra but I think his best years are long behind him.

Not really a leader from what I saw over the years but highly skilled.

I'm peeved we got nothing for him, his departure whether spontaneous or planned could've finished better for both parties if he had wished it to

A selection of quotes on Bruce from some other fansites:

Talking Carlton - Never rated him. Kane Lucas already a better player. Pass.
Talking Carlton - How many times do we have to say 'no more Melbourne hacks'....
Saintsational - It's actually sad when a 31 year old puts his heart and soul into a club for 13-14 years and then can't come to an arrangement with that club to finish his career there.
Saintsational - Bruce I would love to have on a 2 year deal. But as Plugger said, no way we would fit him in the cap.
Bomber Blitz - i know players have to look after their financial futures, but i think it's pretty ordinary from Bruce. he'd have been getting paid more than he was worth when the dee's weren't travelling well and he was their premier player. now he wants out because they are rightly pointing out that the youngsters need a chance and he's only worth a one year deal with no selection guarantee's? nah, not good.

Bomber Blitz - At 31 years of age and with more than ten years behind him, Bruce has seen the writing on the wall at Melbourne.

Guess what?

We have the same wall at Essendon!

Good luck to him at the Hawks. I'm backing Box Hill to win the flag next year on the strength of Hale, Cheney and Bruce. Their recruiting is taking on a Vossesque nature.

Oh well good luck to Brucey, he had great hands and was a decent kick in his younger days.

He can look forward to training with his mate Brent Guerra but I think his best years are long behind him.

Not really a leader from what I saw over the years but highly skilled.

I'm peeved we got nothing for him, his departure whether spontaneous or planned could've finished better for both parties if he had wished it to

See ya Cam - Was good early in the career but lacked a bit of heart after that bone-crunching tackle in 2005.

His B&F in 2008 was more a reflection of how low we had fallen during our rebuild.

However, there is a positive takeaway, at least we don't have to worry about Scully & Trengove losing their heads after a famous Cam Bruce cough up hospital handball.

Onwards & Upwards Demons

I'm real dirty he left without giving us anything. (ie : picks)

I'll booo him till my voice is horse.

To others dirty on Juniors forced retirement..The club was spot on. We dont need Brad Johnsons in our team. It's why they dont have a flag.

To others dirty on Juniors forced retirement..The club was spot on. We dont need Brad Johnsons in our team. It's why they dont have a flag.

would the crows take a punt of him, given the large list of retirements and lack of mature players atm

Absolutely spot on, if the club is going to win Flags, we have to do it right. All of it.

Junior had a great run, and he knows it.

A Question to ask ourselves & one the club would have no doubt thought long over....

What did we win or achieve whilst Cameron Bruce was on the list??? The simple answer is Nothing. Plus we paid him a lot of coin during that process.

The MFC has made the right decision, what we had on the table for Bruce was fair. If he is not Happy "Toodle Pip son" The sad thing is if he had played well next year he would be selected, how much more assurance can the club give anyone??

I am disappointed in Cameron Bruce over this.

That could be said about anyone player our list right now, It does not bother me that Bruce left, but thats silly.

That could be said about anyone player our list right now, It does not bother me that Bruce left, but thats silly.

No it's not silly at all. He had a great run at Melbourne, and was very well paid.

He over rated his value, i am glad the club did not this time.

This is a win for both the Demons and Hawks. Melbourne clear salary cap room for their emerging stars and give Blease and Tapscott-types a genuine chance to shine. Hawthorn bolster their suspect back six while their window is still wide open (no-one could deny that Bruce for Tom Murphy is a significant upgrade for them).

The market dictated this outcome. No use getting emotional about it.

And Melbourne forwards guaranteed a few passes and handballs... like having 19 on the field :rolleyes:

It depends on weather Bruce has the balls to stand up to his wife if he wants to stay at melbourne. His wife wants to move to the gold coast becasue of the warmer weather. I get the attraction but someone should tell her that her husband may want to stay at the one club he has played for.

Anyway im guessing he is weighing everything up. He wants a two year deal but the club will only offer 1. Personally after his great season id give him 2. He is only 30. I mean we waste 2 years on newton.

That is the most discusting accusation I've seen on this forum and I believe you should apologise to his wife. Its defamatory and shows a complete disregard for decency toward people. I didn't think we had such people of poor judgement at our club. If you want to challenge me I will give you my name and phone number.

Yep agree, they will look to our next skipper, but my point is they may start to question, "how long can we look up to him (the next captain)"

If what has happened is a once off, i wouldn’t be to concerned but its not.

It is a brutal game on and off the field, i just think this may come back to haunt us. Because if out own captain and vice-captain aren’t trusted to by the club, they why will the club trust the younger players, (SculGorve, Blease, Watts ect)

But i hope im wrong and we look back at this as good decision

In the old days footy players and cricketers had to be cajoled to play on for another season or another tour. Now they are so well payed that they have to be cajoled into retirement or accepting shorter and less lucrative contracts reflective of their lesser performance as they move into their 30s. So no, what has happened will not be a once off but I would prefer the club be proactive in addressing the issue and acting in the best interests of the club rather than letting players play on too long or paying veterans whose best is behind them too much.

Spyandsource on the Twitter states that Bruce xould likely become a Saint - "he wants 2 more years with the chance of winning a premiership before retirement".

Take it as you will.

This could not be so- Yze Magic was a thorough gentleman -at least to me.
Surprising you even knew him in your short time here. How did that verbal agreement go between the club and Brucey you were spruiking ?? You even wanted an apology ! ? :lol:

So you and a few others will boo Cameron until you are 'horse' (Neigh, neigh!!!) How pathetic! How childish! How PETTY!!!!!!!!Something a preschooler might say and do.

Maybe you are only young and can be forgiven for not giving credit to a great Melbourne footballer who, for 11 years worked his butt off for the MFC. On the other hand if you are not so young then you have been spellbound by the late and stupid beyond words, Yze Magic. If others had shown the same commitment Bruce displayed we may have found ourselves much higher on the ladder in years gone by.

Bruce's record stands alone and people should realise that. Like Junior he has been 'retired' by the MFC but in a much more devious manner. He wasn't asking for much more money and they, the MFC, could have easily met his demands. No, at the MFC, once you reach 30 you are over the hill and you are gone! They did not take into account Cam's superb level of fitness, just his age. Look out Greeny, you will be next! We are going to sorely miss Bruce's running and reading of the play next year.

Cameron, I for one have enjoyed your silky skills and your dedication to the team you love. All the best for the future and I hope you earn 3 Brownlow votes when you play against us next year. However, I'm quick to add that I also hope that we thrash your team whoever they may be. Yes, I will always be a Demon but the MFC powers to be frustrate me immensely. Look forward to your return to Melbourne in a few years time.

So you and a few others will boo Cameron until you are 'horse' (Neigh, neigh!!!) How pathetic! How childish! How PETTY!!!!!!!!Something a preschooler might say and do.

Maybe you are only young and can be forgiven for not giving credit to a great Melbourne footballer who, for 11 years worked his butt off for the MFC. On the other hand if you are not so young then you have been spellbound by the late and stupid beyond words, Yze Magic. If others had shown the same commitment Bruce displayed we may have found ourselves much higher on the ladder in years gone by.

Bruce's record stands alone and people should realise that. Like Junior he has been 'retired' by the MFC but in a much more devious manner. He wasn't asking for much more money and they, the MFC, could have easily met his demands. No, at the MFC, once you reach 30 you are over the hill and you are gone! They did not take into account Cam's superb level of fitness, just his age. Look out Greeny, you will be next! We are going to sorely miss Bruce's running and reading of the play next year.

Cameron, I for one have enjoyed your silky skills and your dedication to the team you love. All the best for the future and I hope you earn 3 Brownlow votes when you play against us next year. However, I'm quick to add that I also hope that we thrash your team whoever they may be. Yes, I will always be a Demon but the MFC powers to be frustrate me immensely. Look forward to your return to Melbourne in a few years time.

Bobby....Don't take it seriously mate. I loved Cam and stuck up for him many times. Just the way he left is why I'm dirty. Maybe go make yourself a Bonox. Youll be alright :)

3 votes against us????? hmmmmm

30 over the hill and out...RUBBISH... Junior was 34

Edited by gOLLy

Until now I hadn't given much credence to the view that Bruce was spooked by the club's decision to "retire" James McDonald because I felt it was more motivated by his dissatisfaction with the deal on the table. However, after reading today's article in the Australian - Cameron Bruce blows one-club deal, I'm not so sure.

The article suggests that money was not the motivation behind Bruce's decision and that he might end up getting less elsewhere.

I'm getting the vibe that he might have felt very insecure about his position in the team and his inability to hold a place in a young, emerging team. While this is an obvious compliment to the quality of the list that was being gathered around him, it also reflects a lack of self-confidence in himself. To my mind, it certainly reflects poorly on his ability to be a leader at the club, a position for which he might once have had aspirations.

Only Bruce can tell us the real situation but I feel he has made an emotional decision which he might one day regret. Being a one club player should be high on one's agenda. After all, this is a team game.

So are we to believe he didnt want to stay with a club purely because he might have to earn games ? Gosh... have a particular opinion of Bruce but that has never encompassed the notion hes soft nor lazy or would want a red carpet ride.

So what is his real stance or has it changed by the day.Is it outrage that club stalwarts might be held to the same standards as any others in the team come selection. Is it that he feels all are equal but more equal than others. Is it money one day and 'special' conditions the next ??

Seems to be running with the hares and hunting with the hounds. Sounds far more like a Ricky Nixon Fable of convenience. All im getting is one side is contantly changing its story while the club simply said it had placed an offer on the table, one it thought fair and reasonable,

Yes someone's spooked alright....by the notion hes getting on a bit and it all wont come quite so easily any more.

There are no free rides at Melbounre ( any more) ....................... GOOD !!

But stay tuned theres bound to be another spin on al this .....and then another....and then................meh

I'd be very disappointed if Cam left for money. He's been on considerably better coin than Ablett the last few years.

If, as the Aus suggests, he left for a pay cut and more security fair enough. The way he's done it so late is disappointing and won't endear him to us fans.

Anyone who's blamed the club in this thread should apologise. It sounds like they did everything short of giareentee him a game, and it would have been a very bad move for the club to do that

I'd be very disappointed if Cam left for money. He's been on considerably better coin than Ablett the last few years.

If, as the Aus suggests, he left for a pay cut and more security fair enough. The way he's done it so late is disappointing and won't endear him to us fans.

Anyone who's blamed the club in this thread should apologise. It sounds like they did everything short of giareentee him a game, and it would have been a very bad move for the club to do that

No. The club has handled this badly in my opinion.

If the issues are club, and not money or length of contract related, then get it all out before trade period. It is never a good outcome to be left with nothing, and it is in the club's interest that it doesn't happen, but it did.

Also, and it has been said on here before, but the message we sent when we couldn't keep our final spot on the list for James McD was a terrible one. James McD was not after a "free ride". He, more than anyone, deserved to choose his time. This Bruce issue proves it, because now in hindsight, we would probably "keep" McDonald. You don't play chess with your captain.

And there are many people here who are painting this out like Bruce went in and said he wants his place in the 22 guaranteed. It's rubbish. He was definitely concerned that he might not maintain his spot in the 22, but that's very different to hoilding the club to ransom by somehow demanding that Bailey guarantee to pick him. No club would agree to guarantee to pick a player.

He is a life member of the club and he walks with no compensation for us after being on huge bucks for 3 years, very grubby if you ask me.

Edited by Deevout

maybe the Bruce threads ought be merged ?? seem to be the same thing now :)