2010 Player Review - # 10 Cale Morton

Demonland

Missed the first eight rounds with knee injury. Had a few tagging jobs and was tried in a few different roles, but failed to star in any of them. Still needs more size and must improve his ability to hit targets by foot - Luke Holmesby melbournefc

Games MFC 2010 10 Career 50 Goals MFC 2010 5 Career 26

Games CSFC 2010 5 Goals CSFC 2010 4

Knee injury in the NAB cup wrecked his season.

An operation in the preseason made him also lose a lot of weight, putting him well behind the 8 ball.

Unfortunately for Cale, when he was fit enough to come into the team he didn't have the required impact.

I believe Bailey sent him to Casey to work on the deficiencies in his game that will no longer be tolerated.

Hopefully he'll have an injury-free preseason and iron a lot of those out.

Bulking up is also a priority, as it always has been for this kid.

Still a very much required player with a valuable skill set. I'd be absolutely shocked to

see his name involved in any trade negotiations.

2011 will be a big year for Cale.

His biggest problems are not being accountable enough, not hard enough at the contested ball and his kicking.

In regards to his disposal, he is a very good kick, but his judgement is poor at times, in that he tries to thread the needle far too often and it doesn't always come off.

As a result he makes costly turnovers too often, when there are much safer options available.

Another player looking at make or break really in 2011. A good preseason a bit more beef and a few more arrows to his quiver might see him ok but is presently a bit of a disappointment to date. Needs to improve with no room for passengers any more at the Dees

Be curious to hear what others think re many of his stuff ups ... Ability or confidence?

Be curious to hear what others think re many of his stuff ups ... Ability or confidence?

Confidence and injuries imo, after 2009 he was probably one of the top 5 rated from the 2007 draft, I think people are forgetting how good he was for a skinny 19 y.o in 2009. He has definitely been disappointing this season but perhaps we were expecting a little too much from him because he was so highly rated. He isn't your standard midfielder because of his body shape it will take him longer than most to grow into his role. Think Brendan Goddard who was considered a waste of a no.1 pick for many years, his fourth season was his breakthrough season where he started to silence his critics iirc.

Edited by volders

Anybody who saw him play in the preseason would know that he looked to be in good shape for 2010. Hurt his knee doing something pretty courageous which was a shame but I think 2010 will go down as the year that made him. Apparently has an fairly rigorous offseason ahead, at his own request.

Will be good, perhaps great. Potentially our Goddard.

Knee injury in the NAB cup wrecked his season.

An operation in the preseason made him also lose a lot of weight, putting him well behind the 8 ball.

Unfortunately for Cale, when he was fit enough to come into the team he didn't have the required impact.

I believe Bailey sent him to Casey to work on the deficiencies in his game that will no longer be tolerated.

Hopefully he'll have an injury-free preseason and iron a lot of those out.

Bulking up is also a priority, as it always has been for this kid.

Still a very much required player with a valuable skill set. I'd be absolutely shocked to

see his name involved in any trade negotiations.

2011 will be a big year for Cale.

Could not agree more!

Unfortunately I fear he has the type of build that does not add weight.

I fear that may be his career problem.

Could not agree more!

Unfortunately I fear he has the type of build that does not add weight.

I fear that may be his career problem.

I thought he looked like he was beginning to fill out a bit, then lost something like 8kg after surgery and then did his PCL.

I think the kid will be fine.

A big preseason will do him the world of good.

I thought he looked like he was beginning to fill out a bit, then lost something like 8kg after surgery and then did his PCL.

I think the kid will be fine.

A big preseason will do him the world of good.

Can't remember, was 2010 his second or third season?

We need him to be a top ten player in 2011.

I like the way he moves.

Morton's a good footballer with all the attributes to become a great football. Like many it's all between the ears. He needs to put on 6 - 7 kg over the preseason and further strengthen what he's already got. Come match day he needs to hit some contests and realise that the physical pain is far less than the mental pain of not hitting contests. Petterd is not any bigger but he carries only eyes for the ball, Morton needs to take note. Cale has a elite engine, is strong overhead and disposes of the ball cleanly, he can become an immense weapon pushing forward in years to come. Trade talk is ridiculous and 2011 is not the be all and end all. Looking for his best in 2012-2017.

Confidence and injuries imo, after 2009 he was probably one of the top 5 rated from the 2007 draft, I think people are forgetting how good he was for a skinny 19 y.o in 2009. He has definitely been disappointing this season but perhaps we were expecting a little too much from him because he was so highly rated. He isn't your standard midfielder because of his body shape it will take him longer than most to grow into his role. Think Brendan Goddard who was considered a waste of a no.1 pick for many years, his fourth season was his breakthrough season where he started to silence his critics iirc.

Goods points- could also be growing pains- I heard he had grown 4/5 cms.

Generally agree with what others have said. Plenty of potential and promise, but a disappointing 2010 for the reasons outlined. I'm still unclear what Cale's long term role will be in the team. He's been given mostly defensive and tagging jobs in the last couple of years, possibly to sharpen up these aspects of his game, but I doubt that he is being groomed for these jobs long-term. More of a midfielder or forward? Attacking HBF perhaps? Could he be a KPF down the track? What do others think?

He will slot into our midfield in 2011, it was great to see against North, he took a couple of good contested marks. He has a big engine and his kicking skills are very good when he kicks 40m+, he does though need to get rid of the little chip kick he uses for short kicks, this is the kick that turns the footy over. He is being educated in defensive footy and when he is released into the midfield he needs to remember the last twos years education or he will find himself at Casey. I see him as a high HFF or on the wing working he will be a very hard to match up, put a running smaller player on him he will work hard forward, put a taller player on him and he will run them off their legs.

2010 was a hard year but he has a huge upside.

Cale needs to improve his decision making under pressure. I feel that he has struggled with the speed of the game and the intense pressure. That said his disposal when in the clear wasn't good at times either. He did begin to improve his marking. In both in the reserves and the senior games he played he took some strong clean grabs under pressure in defence. We know that he has excellent endurance and ball winning ability. The coaches have rightly demanded more accountability from him.

Predominantly outside mids are of no use unless they have first class disposal and decision making, Cale doesn't have this yet.

He is not strong enough to hold a KPD or KPF post. He doesn't have the strength or quick thinking to play as a full time mid.

I believe he is best suited to the floating half back role but again he is of little value unless he can penetrate with his run and kick accurately to the right spots.

I hope he improves next season otherwise he will find himself on the fringe again.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

With the interchange caps he is going to become a VERY important player. He has an engine and he can out mark most. He is still a skinny baby playing against men and he lost fitness with the injury. Also remember that he did a pretty good job on Goodes who would have beaten almost anyone that day.

Cale is a keeper and will be a star of the MFC in years to come.

With the interchange caps he is going to become a VERY important player. He has an engine and he can out mark most. He is still a skinny baby playing against men and he lost fitness with the injury. Also remember that he did a pretty good job on Goodes who would have beaten almost anyone that day.

Cale is a keeper and will be a star of the MFC in years to come.

pft the swans lost by 80 and his man was BOG, if not for goodes that would have been a 20 goal thumping.. 'pretty good job'