• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Who will take the reins from Junior..?

demondomination

MFC Captain 2011  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that it is out of Green and Moloney like most of you.

I voted Moloney.

They both have fantastic qualities but i put Beamer in the Hodge mould of someone who will run through a brick wall for you and will carry the rest of the team with him. Brad has these qualities, but i think Beamer has more of them and i think that our young group is now at a level where they need to develop this type of aggression and die-for-your-mates attitude.

Also, as a midfielder, even on an off day Moloney can still have influence on the game because he is always in the play. Whereas when Green is well held, he cannot really influence the game purely because he is not in the cut and thrust all the time.

Either will be well deserving.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I alluded to this in my earlier post but from what I've observed throughout this year especially, I would suggest it will be this scenario:

If the club/coaches/board chose the captain it would be Green, but if the players vote on the captain (which is the system we usually use) it will be Moloney.

Moloney is seen as the leader of the pack with the young blokes and that will see him voted as captain (actually wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in the leadership group for the same reasons as he's seen as Moloneys deputy).

Either way, Davey will be vice captain, possibly along with Green.

On field leadership is the most important, as we've seen with both Junior and Neitz the captain doesn't necessarily need to handle media duties, Green has done alot of that this year along with help from Jones, Frawley, and a couple of others.

I think it's a win no matter who out of those three (Green, Moloney, Davey) ends up captain as all could fill the role really well and bring different strengths that would compliment the other two as deputies.

I have the feeling that if Moloney is picked, it will bring his game up to another level. He will thrive on it

I strongly agree with this comment. Moloney's performance has flourished the more responsibility he has been given. He is the one I think that would grow again if given what he would truly see as an honour. I will be disappointed if it is Davey or Bruce as they do not for me provide the :follow me" type attitude I expect from a leader. Moloney for mine with Green a worthy recipient if chosen.

I think Green short term and Grimes long term like many others but one not yet mentioned but held in the highest respect in the footy world and within the club , also of the young crop the one that will be the first to be named all Australian and although probably not the most eloquent chap going round I think all the different groups within the club would gather around him and that is James Frawley.

I'm still laughing at those 5 who are wanting Grimes to take the reins after 20-odd matches under his belt!! Gee whizz!

The kid needs to get his body/back right before anything else!!!

I'm still laughing at those 5 who are wanting Grimes to take the reins after 20-odd matches under his belt!! Gee whizz!

The kid needs to get his body/back right before anything else!!!

I think they were confused and thought we were talking 2015!

In the spirit of change, youth, vigour and genuine gutsy progress, let's go for the dynamo, Colin Sylvia, for captain next year. It would be perfect for the team, the club and for Sylvia.

Edited by the pearl

I think that it is out of Green and Moloney like most of you.

I voted Moloney.

They both have fantastic qualities but i put Beamer in the Hodge mould of someone who will run through a brick wall for you and will carry the rest of the team with him. Brad has these qualities, but i think Beamer has more of them and i think that our young group is now at a level where they need to develop this type of aggression and die-for-your-mates attitude.

Also, as a midfielder, even on an off day Moloney can still have influence on the game because he is always in the play. Whereas when Green is well held, he cannot really influence the game purely because he is not in the cut and thrust all the time.

Either will be well deserving.

Moloney has the heart, but he doesn't have the skills of a Hodge. Green does. He can turn a game himself.

It's a separate issue, I know, but Moloney's long bombs to nowhere are enough to drive me insane!

He is the one I think that would grow again if given what he would truly see as an honour. Moloney for mine with Green a worthy recipient if chosen.

i agree that he would really be honoured if he was appointed skipper. I also think he has 3-5 years left to play in our midfield, which would alow somone like Grimes, or another younger player to be given the captaicy once they've properly proven themelves.

Green is getting older. Dont get me wrong he is an absolute Jet, but lets just say he did have a form slump in the next year or two? I hate to say it but with his age he's one quiet season away from being mentioned in "list management" discussions...

Moloney has the heart, but he doesn't have the skills of a Hodge. Green does. He can turn a game himself.

It's a separate issue, I know, but Moloney's long bombs to nowhere are enough to drive me insane!

Scuse me?

They drove us to mark of the year!

Brad Green appears to be the standout and is really the only candidate who ticks all of the boxes. He's courageous, skillful, consistent, should easily command a place in our starting 22 for at least a few more years, is a polished media performer and is ultra-professional (and a great example to the youngsters in the team). Beamer, Flash and Rivers fall short in a couple of these areas each and Bruce probably is a bit closer to the end than Green.

I for one don't think we need to appoint a young captain now, especially given the number of candidates is likely to be a lot healthier in a few years time with the likes of Grimes, Scully, Trengove and Watts all hopefully in the mix. I wouldn't rule Nathan Jones out either if he can consolidate his spot in the side.

Right now, I would have Green as captain with Beamer, Bruce and Flash all joint VC.

According to this poll, and i think reality also, is that there are only 2 genuine candidates- Green and Moloney.

Green:

Pros

- He is (arguably) our best player.

- He is a consistent performer, on-field leader, who almost never plays a bad game and consistently is in the best 3 players each and every week. If he's not getting much ball up forward, is capable of still being involved in each and every game by shifting himself into the midfield or even half back line.

- is a polished media performer

- is a professional off the field... no controversy or silly antics

- He will retire just as our young leaders are ready. By the time he retires (in 3-4 years lets say), there will be at least 4 genuine candidates who will be ready to seamlessly slip into the role. I am VERY confident that by the age of 23, one of Grimes, Scully, Trengove or even Frawley will be ready to step into the role). Grimes in particular i believe is an obvious future captain, who in 3-4 years will be in his prime and ready to take on the role. The fact he's even considered this year says something. He just needs 3-4 more years and Green could fill the gap in the meantime.

Cons

- is 29 years old. McDonald was an interim captain in the sense that he was captain because no one else was ready to step up. Appointing McDonald would be a statement that we still don't have any 24-26yr olds capable of stepping up (which might very well be true)

- unsure whether he has the complete backing of the playing group and doesn't appear to be a natural leader of men. Remember he was dumped by the leadership group at the start of last season, only to be reappointed toward the end of the season. Does this suggest that while he is a leader at the club, he isn't a natural 'captaincy material' leader that the players gravitate towards and look up to? I think i remember him saying early in his career that he wasn't outspoken and didn't have leadership aspirations. I know he has improved this dramatically, and no doubt has changed a lot from when he was 21 yrs old, but I think a large part of being a great leader you just have to be born with.

Moloney

Pros

- is 25 years old and could be our captain for the next 8 years

- Bleeds for the club. Really passionate and it tells

- Is clearly a natural leader that the players love and gravitate towards. Just look at his boxing camp, he enjoys being a leader and thrives on it. The players clearly love him and would play for him.

- Is a midfielder, meaning he is in a good position to regularly influence the contest and provide on field inspiration.

- When he plays well (which is most of the time), he's a very good player and is pretty inspirational

Cons

- Is probably not in our best 5 players imo. I personally think this is very relevant. I don't think its healthy to have speculation as to whether your captain deserves to be in the team. I can see this potentially happening as Gysberts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Grimes, Tappy, Blease etc improve.

- Can have bad days (probably 10-20% of the time) where he has no influence. Not super consistent like Green is.

- if he isn't working out (because of a long bad stretch of form or whatever) there is nothing to do, since it would be awkward to take the captaincy away from him at the age of 28. I think this is a relevant point, since in 3-4 years i believe a guy like Grimes will end up being a better captaincy option than Moloney.

I think Brad Green should defiantly be appointed. I know for sure he wouldn't let us down and hes a great role model, a terrific leader and confident. Although Beamer makes an extreme case. Green for me, just...

CARN DEEES! Keep rising boys

And I take it that Green doesn't bleed for the Club. :unsure:

yep thats exactly what i wrote :unsure::huh:

Moloney wears his passion on his sleeve ad talks about his love and passion for the dees openly (loved his speech at last years best and fairest). I can imagine Moloney and how he talks so openly and often about the demons being pretty inspiring and uplifting to his teammates.

I have to say i like Sylvia for the job. He's youngish, potentially our best player (easy to forget he was taken at number 3 in his draft), fierce at the ball, able to kick golas, can/does protect his younger teammates, has some mongrel and his best is front of him. He may be a little quiet off field and yes he's had some discipline issues but according to an inerview i read with him he's really focused now and super keen to get the most out his time in footy. The capataincy may help him go that next level and bring a real consistency to his game.

Greens been fantastic but will be retired in 2-3 years and it would be great to have the same skipper fo 6-8 years. Davey would be my second choice. Cannot fault his approach and discipline and he i reckon he wants the job, which i think is important (yes and i saw the note in a previous thread that said Sylvia wasn't so keen, so perhaps that counts aginast him)but i wonder if he is physical enough. If you you think of great captains they're more often than not strong, physical players who can split packs and take big hits, Robbie being the honourable exception that proves the rule.

There was talk of the captaincy being written into Davey's last contract .

I would have a problem with Davey being captain as I don't like the idea of our captain being pushed around by the opposition. That does happen and would happen even more if he was captain. I am certainly comfortable with him being deputy.

I don't think our next captain is a clear cut choice. I prefer Green for his on field role but am not sure about his off field capabilities. Those that will make the selection will know all the attributes of the contenders.

Edited by Redleg