James McDonald - Retirement Announcement

DemonWorshipper

Well done Junior - a career of class, great work ethic and achievement.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that Nathan Buckley at the end of his career named his Top 10 Hard Players that he played against - and you were one of them, at 180cm and 75kg.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Junior, admirable timing.

Junior would disagree that the timing is correct. And so do I . The club has retired him, not Junior off his own back. Our club has not got alot of leaders therefore we may regret this decision, if Green, Maloney etc.. do not have these young players come on as they did this year.However, to balance this point,Junior may not been able to get a game next year.If we were forced to play him, then we may have held up progress.I would have retained him.

A great if not an underrated hero.

Edited by jayceebee31

How much does that sum up the man. I think that is a huge point in his favour (as if he needed more) that he can look at the situation and come up with that perspective. Amazing contributor to the club.

I think it also shows what we're going to miss next season. If there's one thing kids need when the pressure is on, it's perspective.

Junior would disagree that the timing is correct. And so do I .

I must admit I understand the reasoning but I don't like it. Wasn't it at the end of last year the club came to HIM to ask him to continue? I get that it's good for the club, and a tough but sensible choice. I just don't think it's good for ALL parties, like so many are saying.

I also reckon that with a handful of injuries... we're going to be wishing we had a trustworthy, hardnut in the guts. JMac's footy, before injury, was pretty damn sound.

But whatever. It could easily turn out to be he right thing to do. And you do have to back your kids in. I'm loving, also, that he gets to leave the game while still being a contributing player. Not limping to the finish line.

I love Junior and it is a sad day to know that he is retiring.

But I think it shows a surety of purpose and, in a sense, values. Not even the club's best-loved are above the needs of the club.

Players know that it is very rare to get to pick when you go. I think the most important thing is to handle 'significant' retirements with respect, even if there is some push.

And really, they are all significant.

I posted a few weeks ago that he shouldn't go on. If he's had a "push" then my respect for this club just continues to grow. It's the right decision and it gives me confidence that the FD is prepared to make the hard ones.

Well done on a fine career.

Yep, that's definitely a positive, not a negative as some argue.

I posted a few weeks ago that he shouldn't go on. If he's had a "push" then my respect for this club just continues to grow. It's the right decision and it gives me confidence that the FD is prepared to make the hard ones.

To be honest... I'm torn. I see why the club has done this as it allows youth to further develop (i.e. Gysberts will get more of a run around). And I do advocate that. However, I think I'm feeling more like what D. Schwartz is feeling - a bit disappointed at the MFC.

Junior is a guy who deserved SO MUCH to go out on his own terms. He's not like a Brad Johnson who just wants to keep on going in the hope that one day he'll be involved in success despite being "done n' dusted" - Junior wanted a mere 1 more year at the club, and he deserves his wish as he provided 251 solid games for the Dees and was more than a solid servant of the oldest ever football club. 1 more year and he could have then gone out on his own terms just as he would have liked... and just like he deserved.

With our lack of "senior guys", McDonald would have provided more fantastic leadership for our vast crop of youngsters. Don't underestimate the value of leadership at present. Melbourne really lacks that true spiritual leader now.

Junior was well composed during his press conference but I feel he isn't too pleased. Rightly so.

1 more year was all he asked for. And he was denied it. Was it too much to ask for?

To be honest... I'm torn. I see why the club has done this as it allows youth to further develop (i.e. Gysberts will get more of a run around). And I do advocate that. However, I think I'm feeling more like what D. Schwartz is feeling - a bit disappointed at the MFC.

Junior is a guy who deserved SO MUCH to go out on his own terms. He's not like a Brad Johnson who just wants to keep on going in the hope that one day he'll be involved in success despite being "done n' dusted" - Junior wanted a mere 1 more year at the club, and he deserves his wish as he provided 251 solid games for the Dees and was more than a solid servant of the oldest ever football club. 1 more year and he could have then gone out on his own terms just as he would have liked... and just like he deserved.

With our lack of "senior guys", McDonald would have provided more fantastic leadership for our vast crop of youngsters. Don't underestimate the value of leadership at present. Melbourne really lacks that true spiritual leader now.

Junior was well composed during his press conference but I feel he isn't too pleased. Rightly so.

1 more year was all he asked for. And he was denied it. Was it too much to ask for?

I could think of nothing worse than Junior potentially finishing in the same vein as Neitz, Yze or White. Either their bodies had passed their use by date or the game had passed them by and they were performing cameos in the VFL.

I thought the evidence of Western Bulldogs (Johnson and Aker) and Adelaide (McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards) was compelling. Their decline on the injury or form lists is a sadder ending than the way Junior is finishing.

MFC is not a charity. Decisions must be made for the betterment of the team not to the suit the individual. Junior would be the last footballer that would want that.

A sensible decision for the Club to make.

MFC is not a charity. Decisions must be made for the betterment of the team not to the suit the individual. Junior would be the last footballer that would want that.

A sensible decision for the Club to make.

Thanks for your reply, Rhino. Logic.

BUT... James was surprised by the decision made by the MFC. James believed his body was ok for another year. Was injury a concern? His fitter than Brad Johnson, Goodwin et al. Junior is rarely badly injured and had one injury this year which he has recovered from.

I agree that the right decision needs to be made for the betterment of the club... but leadership cannot be simply 'tossed aside'. James's retirement sees about 30% leadership go out the window in my view.

Green has a bit of oomph in him... Bruce perhaps. After that it's daylight. Moloney is 25 years old and by no means a guy the youngsters can 'learn from' in the sense of having experience and the "been there done that" factor! Ditto Rivers! Davey is in the high-20's but lacks that something to really carry him as a true leader.

Edited by DeezMan

David Neitz has exactly the right attitude when it comes to this question, something he's repeated often since retiring. The Club owes the player nothing. The player owes the Club everything. It is the Club who has given the player the opportunity to have such an amazing career.

But on your comment, don't you see that by retiring Junior now, he will never get to that "Brad Johnson" stage where all of a sudden it seems the game has passed him by and he's a shadow of his former self??

No players retire of their own accord. They are either pushed by their club or they are told by their surgeon that they have to retire. That's the hard, cold facts of it.

BUT... James was surprised by the decision made by the MFC. James believed his body was ok for another year. Was injury a concern? His fitter than Brad Johnson, Goodwin et al. Junior is rarely badly injured and had one injury this year which he has recovered from.

I agree that the right decision needs to be made for the betterment of the club... but leadership cannot be simply 'tossed aside'. James's retirement sees about 30% leadership go out the window in my view.

Green has a bit of oomph in him... Bruce perhaps. After that it's daylight. Moloney is 25 years old and by no means a guy the youngsters can 'learn from' in the sense of having experience and the "been there done that" factor! Ditto Rivers! Davey is in the high-20's but lacks that something to really carry him as a true leader.

*sigh*

Of course it was a surprise!

Otherwise he'd have already announced his retirement of his own volition.

But I doubt Goodwin and Burton at Adelaide expected their bodies to give up on them so suddenly.

I doubt Aker expected to so quickly be brought back to the pack, no longer an A grader, but lucky if he was a B.

These things take an element of crystal ball gazing, but it is fair to expect that at some stage next year, if Junior had played on, that he would suddenly realize he shouldn't have.

He has already missed a large chunk this year through injury.

This decision was hard, but the right one was made.

Simple.

The Club has the right and the obligation to make assessments of each player and where they stand in regard the following year. It is a credit to the Club that had the foresight and judgement with the communication to advise a player like Junior that he would struggle for selection in 2011. They have to make the right decisions by the Club. No player is bigger than the Club and Junior would know that. The timing of it is fine allowing Junior the chance to have a send off game in Melbourne.

Having previously said that I was a little disappointed that it wasn't announced as a mutual decision ( if not as Junior's decision), I thought I should add that I have to agree with Rhino's sentiments.

It is the right time ... and I guess the fact that Junior wanted to continue is probably just a reflection of the never say die attitude that has been his trademark.

As pick 70-odd in a rookie draft , he has probably come further than just about anyone in the modern history of the AFL.As much as he might try to deny it, he will surely be remembered as one of the legends of this footy club.

I just hope he receives the accolades he deserves from the AFL and the football community as a whole . Well played Junior........

I'm sure this club will miss Junior, who has given his all for 13 years. Timing was right though, going out still on top of the game.

IMO it would be doing him an injustice to go out any other way.

A criminally (the most?) underrated player, shadowed even in his retirement with the announcement coming the same week as 'bigger' names. Not that that does, nor should it, mean anything to MFC supporters.

Congratulations on a stellar career, Junior. Give 'em hell in the last two games.

(Times like this, living in Queensland stinks.)

A player simply can't be objective

Who wouldn't want the dream to go on forever? You only get one career

You wouldn't be a good AFL player if you weren't always optimistic and positive

Then there's the lifestyle, the good money, cameraderie, the fame, the vibe . . . .

No, James in a few years will realise this was the best decision for him and the club

How lucky is he really. To get to retire at 33 years, play for 14, captain last 3 years, B&F's, AA, 250+ games, rookie games record

All this AND to go out on top. No form slips, no career ending injuries, no playing in VFL, no bagging etc etc.

Its sad to see it come to an end and he will be missed, but it was a good decision

I would suggest that a pretty minor hamstring injury taking 6 weeks is a bit of a sign. A further set back like this next year and who knows? Players like Gysberts etc could deserve the spot Junior made vacant and no one wants to see him go out playing for Casey.

The right call has been made.

I think every proud aging footballer believes his body is Ok/good for another year. Buts that their personal perspective. A platying footballer career is a finite arrangement governed by fitness, form and opportunity. At 33yo its arguable whether one player is fitter than the other. AFL is a bruising relentless game. At the end of last year,Brad Johnson was still an effective forward option. When your times comes to hang them up, many stars have the curtain called on them by injury or loss of form. Junior is actually very lucky to call time when he is still on top. Too many stars have gone on too long and result has marred the perspective of their career.

ID and Daisy also raise some pertinent and relevant points.

Leadership is not the sole ownership of any one person. Its an ever evolving process in the life of a Club or Company. And its a credit to Junior that his loss is recognised and its a testimony to how well he has fulfilled his obligations. But its time for the next generation of leaders to continue to step forward.

And as Junior remarked about his career..it started in 1997 when another player, Paul Prymke, retired (through injury). Junior's retirement represents an opportunity for new blood. This is part of our exciting future.

Colour me surprised! This has hit me from the blindside. I thought he was coming back for one more.

Seeing JNR hang up the boots will be like losing a good mate. He has been a true leader for us, and I will be sad to see him go.

Thank you for all of the memories Macca. You will be hard to replace!

I like the transparency with which McDonald's retirement has been handled. So McDonald is surprised and disappointed to be tapped on the shoulder? Wants to play another year? I wouldn't have believed anything else. The Club insisted on his retirement despite McDonald believing himself fit for another year? Glad to know the Club can make the tough decisions when needed. Seeing McDonald accept a forced retirement with such humility speaks volumes for his character.

Keeping it all transparent leaves nothing for media hacks to dredge up and sully what should be a respectful celebration of remarkable career.

I like the transparency with which McDonald's retirement has been handled. So McDonald is surprised and disappointed to be tapped on the shoulder? Wants to play another year? I wouldn't have believed anything else. The Club insisted on his retirement despite McDonald believing himself fit for another year? Glad to know the Club can make the tough decisions when needed. Seeing McDonald accept a forced retirement with such humility speaks volumes for his character.

Keeping it all transparent leaves nothing for media hacks to dredge up and sully what should be a respectful celebration of remarkable career.

Here Here.

A champion of the club who has been absolutely marvellous. Great fortitude displayed by Bailey and co to make the hard call and hopefully Junior will stay involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that a pretty minor hamstring injury taking 6 weeks is a bit of a sign. A further set back like this next year and who knows? Players like Gysberts etc could deserve the spot Junior made vacant and no one wants to see him go out playing for Casey.

The right call has been made.

I agree. I reckon that hamstring injury (the first I can remember him suffering, but I could be wrong there), and the time it took him to get over it, may have sounded the final siren on Junior's outstanding career. We just can't afford to have extended periods of injury inhibiting team progress (a la Whelan and Wheatley in 2009).

Well done Junior, an un-sung hero of our game.