Changes

I'm calling it now to avoid multiple threads during the week.

In: WATTS :wub:

4 Goals is the performance, we have been waiting for.

Next Sat against the Eagles at the G, Bring him In !!!!

Wouldnt he love to Play well in a game against Nik Nat.

dunn is funny one. if he actually kicked goals instead of all the points we'd be saying he's going really well. its hs finish that is letting him down. bail has been on the sidelines to long now to come back in without a game at casey. depending on how morton plays in his comeback will determine if he warrants a spot. i think hughes deserves a chance in the dry conditions as he cetainly wasn't disgraced in his debut. bartram i thought was fantastic, as was mckenzie and of course scully and trengove. rivers is the only one i cn be critical of. his performance did not bely his experience. basic errors on his part were costly. warnock and frawley were fantastic but it sould defiately be a team rule that they do not kick in. i have thought that every since frawley started and was given that responsibility on a number of occaisions. PJ sould not have played and been replaces with a small, possibly cheyney for matchups.

after all that i think dunn should be the only unludcky one due to matchups. and he is unlucky for this reason alone.

this depends on mortons form, but if he performs well, he should come in for dunn as the only change. dunn suits the team when jamar is rucking alone and he can pinch hit. but with johnson in (which i thnk he should stay this week if nothing else to help jamar crunch nik nat), dunn becomes replacable with someone with a bit more polish.

out: dunn (matchups)

in: morton

I'm calling it now to avoid multiple threads during the week.

In: WATTS :wub:

Nah, they're being wise holding him back. He's too important for our future. If they bring him in against the weagles, he'll only cop comparisons with Nik Nat.

Dunn's been pretty good this year based on his rock bottom standards of the past. He's probably playing good enough footy to hold his spot, but the fact of the matter is Morton is just a better player, and it's the only 'straight swap' you can do that does not rob the team of other attributes it needs.

On Dunn: I thought earlier in the year that he just could not play footy, but I've changed my mind. He clearly can play. The issue with him is that he just does some really bizarre things in the 'heat of the moment'. Flinching and spilling straight forward marks and playing on to kick in to the man on the mark are great examples of this, and he appears to make at least one howler per game. He's a bit like Daniel Bell in that he's got the physical attributes and the skills to make it, but has a major flaw. In Belly's case it's awareness, in Dunn's case it's lack of composure. It'll be interesting to see if this corrects itself as his confidence improves with all the game time he's had this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

My mate spoke to Bail last night. He got the impression there's been little improvement in his niggling quad injury, so I doubt he'll be fit next week.

He lives! :blink:

Btw, Dunn missing two critical and fairly gettable shots on goal tonight means I am rightfully shitty with him. Probably harsh on him because he isn't great and can't do a whole lot more than he already does, but he is a poor footballer.

Next thing you will be asking for is to drop or rest Grimes-- for his kicking into the player on the mark and bad decision making kicking in in the first quarter-- to be replaced by Cheney??.He seems tired ??.

Scully will not miss a game for the whole year- he is fitter than the majority at the club.

Edited by jayceebee31

Dunn's been pretty good this year based on his rock bottom standards of the past. He's probably playing good enough footy to hold his spot, but the fact of the matter is Morton is just a better player, and it's the only 'straight swap' you can do that does not rob the team of other attributes it needs.

I agree that Morton is a better players, but I think Dunn has come in for a lot of criticism because he has been used as such a utility player.

To be honest, the only change I would look at for next week (based on what I have read on the Casey reports) would be to bring in Watts for PJ and let Dunn have a run in the ruck against NikNat with the clear instruction to jump into him at every opportunity. A little undersized but he has the speed, strength and stamina to hurt him - both literally and in the counter-attacking sense.

.... let Dunn have a run in the ruck against NikNat with the clear instruction to jump into him at every opportunity. A little undersized but he has the speed, strength and stamina to hurt him - both literally and in the counter-attacking sense.

Can't see that happening Kit. I can forgive the odd missed shot at goal & his occasionally bizarre decision making. Dunn's main problem is deeper than that. Nasher touched on it when he referred to a "lack of composure".

He is a squib. Hears footsteps. Shirks. It's been going on since his very first game (squibbed his very first contest). I have tried to make excuses for him because I believe he has a fair bit of ability but after last night I never want to see him shaming Rod Grinter's #14 jumper again. I am sick of pathetic one handed marking "attempts". Of running under the ball rather than going for the mark & copping contact from behind. Belting that dwarf Harvey does not make you tough or courageous. Flying for a mark, knowing your are going to get cleaned up does. When you compare a bloke the size of Tom Thumb Scully hurling himself into the path of Hamish McIntosh against some of Dunn's efforts you quickly realise that some blokes are gold & some need to be cut adrift. That's how I feel about Dunn. It's a bloody shame because I've followed him closely as I always thought he could play but blokes like that will let you down when it really counts.

I agree that Morton is a better players, but I think Dunn has come in for a lot of criticism because he has been used as such a utility player.

To be honest, the only change I would look at for next week (based on what I have read on the Casey reports) would be to bring in Watts for PJ and let Dunn have a run in the ruck against NikNat with the clear instruction to jump into him at every opportunity. A little undersized but he has the speed, strength and stamina to hurt him - both literally and in the counter-attacking sense.

PJ to stay, he deserves another crack in decent conditions... Come on Newton & Martin had 2 AFL games this year.

Watts to play one more week, then he can come in the following week against Port as there is no game due to 'State Game - Western Australia vs. Victoria', and Wonna to come in, providing he is fit. Jetta is also looking good.

Who is going to make way??????

Guest melbman

Scully will not miss a game for the whole year- he is fitter than the majority at the club.

Scully has the fitness, that is true, but they will rest him at some stage in my estimation to prevent him hurting himself

Just as Scully's under-15 season came to a close, he was diagnosed with osteitis pubis. And it was severe.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1225797556352

The kid pushes himself so hard it seems

i think the worst performers friday night were Davey ( by his standards) Johnson & Rivers, rivers did come into the game after half time but i think he had a really bad start to the game.

i dunno if Jamar can ruck against both nic nat and cox so johnson will be safe.

Miller has been in good form at casey

Will rivers have a match up against West coast? i dont think so

IN: Miller, MacDonald (unlucky to be dropped) , Bail (if fit)

Out: dunno

In regard to players like Dunn, I think if we have players of the calibre of Morton and Watts (and eventually Jurrah, Wonaeamirri and Gysberts) pushing for selection, we can no longer accept an "average" game from anyone. We need to adjust our thinking towards excellence, not the merely good.

That's the virtue of having exciting talent and class players coming into calculations. Not much point in settling for a cheap passable red when you can have a Grange!

At some point during 2010. INS: Watts, Gysberts, Jetta, Morton, Bail, Jurrah, Wonaeamirri, Strauss, Maric, Blease, Spencer.

That's going to make for some interesting selection nights.

In regard to players like Dunn, I think if we have players of the calibre of Morton and Watts (and eventually Jurrah, Wonaeamirri and Gysberts) pushing for selection, we can no longer accept an "average" game from anyone. We need to adjust our thinking towards excellence, not the merely good.

That's the virtue of having exciting talent and class players coming into calculations. Not much point in settling for a cheap passable red when you can have a Grange!

Spot on.

Just having a crack does not warrant instant selection, there is far too much talent that will/must come into the 22. Unfortunately, there will be some very disappointed boys in the next few weeks that get squeezed out despite having a reasonable game of footy the week before. I expected these problems next year, not this year!!

At some point during 2010. INS: Watts, Gysberts, Jetta, Morton, Bail, Jurrah, Wonaeamirri, Strauss, Maric, Blease, Spencer.

That's going to make for some interesting selection nights.

These are the kids that we have to get maximum game time into. If you'd watched Casey yesterday you would have added Cheney (on performance, he's ahead of just about everyone on that list) & Tommy-Mac, who are starting to look a class above VFL.

The question is going to become - who will get left out so that these guys can get game time into them? If the club is serious about this, the selectors will have to make some hard decisions about which more experienced players are going to make way to give the 2014 premiership team some game time. And it gets harder the longer they put it off; only 15 rounds left.

Unless, of course, we get our standard run of injuries in the last half of the year.

in Dunn's case it's lack of composure. It'll be interesting to see if this corrects itself as his confidence improves with all the game time he's had this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Spot on. Even lining up for goal where there is no physical pressure, you can tell he's shetting himself because it's a goal he should kick. Watts, Morton in the next few weeks. He is done.

Exactly right.

I also think that Gysberts has, from all reports, been playing exceptionally well for a number of weeks with Casey now, and hence deserves a reward for form.

Ideally, I'd love him and Watts to come in this week, but the omissions will be difficult.

I'd drop Dunn because his goal kicking was very costly on Friday but to make room for Gysberts we'd have to either drop PJ and let Jamar ruck alone, which I think is very unlikely (especially since Bailey rarely brings a player in for one game then drops them again), or perhaps drop someone who is slightly sore.

The weather might end up dictating selection.

Post your changes for the Eagles next week.

Out- Dunn, ????

In- Watts, Bail

My suggestion - out = stupid whistle blowing power mad field umpires who stick their noses in when they aren't required.

In = me. I will make sure we get a fair go! (I doubt I will be able to keep up, but will try!)