• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

grimes=next skipper

Strawbsodwyer

I think it's too early to go with some of the likely young prospects.

I also don't think any of the 'middle aged' guys are brilliant captaincy prospects - if they were, we wouldn't have gone to McDonald.

I think Brad Green is the man to go to. He can hand over in his twilight, once we've decided which of our emerging players we think is most suited to the captaincy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't think any of the 'middle aged' guys are brilliant captaincy prospects - if they were, we wouldn't have gone to McDonald.

I think Brad Green is the man to go to. He can hand over in his twilight, once we've decided which of our emerging players we think is most suited to the captaincy.

Agreed.

If Grimes plays 22 games this year his career total will be 34 at season's end. I'd be very surprised if anyone under 50 games had ever been made captain, and there's a good reason for that. Someone mentioned Carey and Voss, but guys like that are rare and Grimes is not in their league.

If McDonald goes this year I'd also be looking at Green, he's just the best choice of the older players IMO. Not only that, but the timing would be perfect -- when he's finishing up, the likes of Grimes, Scully and Trengove will have 80+ games up their sleeve in theory. Moloney would probably be my second choice.

I reckon Junior will look to go on in 2011 anyway.

Agreed.

If Grimes plays 22 games this year his career total will be 34 at season's end. I'd be very surprised if anyone under 50 games had ever been made captain, and there's a good reason for that. Someone mentioned Carey and Voss, but guys like that are rare and Grimes is not in their league.

If McDonald goes this year I'd also be looking at Green, he's just the best choice of the older players IMO. Not only that, but the timing would be perfect -- when he's finishing up, the likes of Grimes, Scully and Trengove will have 80+ games up their sleeve in theory. Moloney would probably be my second choice.

Voss and Carey are indeed exceptions to the rule. Both were arguably the best of the type in the eras they played At 21 in 1993 in his fourth season, Carey was winning games off his own boot. A style which would dominate VFL/AFL for next 6 years. Voss was made co-captain at 22 (his sixth season) with Lynch in 1997. While he developed into a great leader his early years were a struggle. It took a few years to grow into the role.

There is no need to rush Grimes. I would be happy to see Brad Green take the role for a year or two before looking at the next gen of stars.

I think Junior can go on for another year maybe 2.

His form warrants it and if he can stay fit?

Another Michael Tuck.

So we not have to pick for another 2 seasons.

By then we will know who is the best leader out of Grimes, Watts,Scully and Trengove.

In reality, Michael Tuck played too long. In the end he was a serviceable player blocking the path of a younger player with greater upside. It was a difficult time for the Hawks to orchestrate his exit.

I think Junior will know when its time. He seems a realistic and down to earth sort of player who knows where the game is at. I think it will be at the end of this year.

Jack Grimes is going to be nothing short of a gun and as much as I LOVE watching all OUR GREAT TALENT running around, I think I love Jack just that little bit more. I was a HUGE Trav fan and was disappointed when he was moved on, but I heard of the pick 14 kid (yes Jack!) and from that moment knew he would be good....his first steps onto the G only confirmed this.

J Mac is doing a HUGE job for the dees which should be noted in this forum.....once he steps away I think it has to go to Davey or Moloney...Green is a possibility but a few more years advanced may see him miss the opportunity.

As stated here Grimes will be mid 20's when Davey or Moloney are done and could take on the role from there.

Having said all that I think you make exceptions for young possible captains but they have to stand out...(ie Carey & Sticks....I cant see a reason why Grimes doesn't fit this mould. The clubs that have gone out on a limb and given the captaincy to a young fella seem to have success follow from there....so maybe, yep lets do it!!

Hell, as long as one of the above a holding up a cup in the next few years...who really cares who it is!!!

I just want that flag....who's with me???!!!

I think Green for a couple of years then I wouldn't mind a Grant Thomas style rotating captaincy, depending players development you could include Grimes, Watts, Scully, Trengove and Morton among others.

Obviously time will tell which of those is worthy but I think that system helped in the development of a few saints players.

It was a catalyst for them to take the next step.

This topic has probarly been done before but I would like to rehash it, After hearing him speak last week he has leadership written all over him, loves the club and a player who looks like he will have a fantastic career, think he would be a great choice for the next captain. Might be too much of a burden but I think he could handle it.

I thought Tom Harley did a good job of the captaincy of the Cats - he wasnt the best player in the team - he was courageous, he was articulate (he represented the club properly in the media and elsewhere), he was respected by players and he had was prepared to lead (takes command in a huddle and has something to say)- that is he showed leadership whether he was annointed or not. Finally you want a cpatain who wont bring the club into any disrespect.

I dont know if you agree with these criteria but as regards Davey - I have never seen him interviewed - I admire his skills but I dont think he has that expressive aspect (he seems to me to be a quieter personality) that you want from a leader. Grimes has the courage and both Grimes and Davey will be respected by players - I just dont know that they have the other elements that I want.

I think you underestimate in what high esteem Junior is held by the Club and the players. He is the ultimate quiet achiever and has also been one of the catalysts for the great indigenous programmes that the Club is pursueing

I think you underestimate in what high esteem Junior is held by the Club and the players. He is the ultimate quiet achiever and has also been one of the catalysts for the great indigenous programmes that the Club is pursueing

None of this takes away from what I said, unless you're arguing that even if there was a great 'middle aged' captaincy prospect we wouldn't have gone to him because we thought McDonald was such a brilliant prospect.

If that was your contention, I'd simply point to the fact we didn't seem to think so in 2009, as we implemented a co-captaincy arrangement with Bruce sharing the mantle (and then left the spot vacant over summer afaik).

Also note that I was commenting on our decision when the captaincy became vacant, not at some point after McDonald had been captain (ie. now), so his level of success in the gig is irrelevant.

i would really love to see Brent Moloney as captain,

he bleeds red and blue, and his leadership to the younger blokes is amazing,

and leadership on the field is top notch.

I love brent moloney's football style and his on field actions but he won't be the captain of the club...

Speaking to Don McCardy the other day he rates Grimes so highly and suggests there is no reason why he can't be the Captain after 30 games for the club. He rates his leadership and off field/behind the scene attributes.

I love brent moloney's football style and his on field actions but he won't be the captain of the club...

Speaking to Don McCardy the other day he rates Grimes so highly and suggests there is no reason why he can't be the Captain after 30 games for the club. He rates his leadership and off field/behind the scene attributes.

Don McLardy won't be choosing the next captain, though.

With the greatest respect to Brent Moloney, he could be struggling to hold his place in 12 months time. Could be a risky move IMO. I'm hoping Moloney, Jones, Bruce etc will have to have improved to be getting a game in the next 2 years.

You are asking way too much of whichever young player you think can do what Moloney does.

He's got a few more years yet of good footy. I would much prefer a 29 year old Moloney at the bottom of a pack than a 21 yr old Scully or Trengove.

You are asking way too much of whichever young player you think can do what Moloney does.

He's got a few more years yet of good footy. I would much prefer a 29 year old Moloney at the bottom of a pack than a 21 yr old Scully or Trengove.

Pack?!

I should have said 'rolling scrum.'

Brent Maloney will be or should be our next captain. He loves the club, supported Melbourne before being drafted to Geelong, and has made a book on the history of the club for all new players so they understand who & what they are playing for. Basically he LOVES the club as much as anyone on this site - does flash?

Its a simple choice as the kids will be too young, and davey is too soft to be a captain - I love flash, but he isnt the tough, hard leader that the great captains are.

Think Voss, Buckley, Harley, Carey, etc - they were tough men, Flash isnt in that catagory

Brent Maloney will be or should be our next captain. He loves the club, supported Melbourne before being drafted to Geelong, and has made a book on the history of the club for all new players so they understand who & what they are playing for. Basically he LOVES the club as much as anyone on this site - does flash?

Its a simple choice as the kids will be too young, and davey is too soft to be a captain - I love flash, but he isnt the tough, hard leader that the great captains are.

Think Voss, Buckley, Harley, Carey, etc - they were tough men, Flash isnt in that catagory

I think you are wrong. Flower and Lyon were very good captains who weren't hard men, and I'd struggle to find an occasion when Buckley was ever a tough man (the wiping the blood on Ling incident was just disgraceful). He was certainly an outstanding player who led through word and deed. Brent Moloney won't be our next Captain because as others have pointed out he will not be an automatic selection within a couple of years. As I see it there are four possibilities - 1. McDonald goes on for another year; 2. Green as a stop gap for a year or two; 3. Davey - who I can guarantee you loves the club as much as anyone, until the current young guns hit the 23-24 mark; or 4. Grimes, who is clearly one of the most outstanding young leaders at any club and would cope with responsibility next year, but may be better prepared by waiting a couple more years. The great thing at the moment is that for the first time in a long time there are a number of possibilities for leadership roles at the Club!

To be honest, I have brought up your exact thoughts on the Captaincy from Junior-to-Grimes before. For the moment Junior is playing great footy and if he continues this for the season, there is no reason why he cannot see 2011. If this does eventuate it would certainly enhance Grimes chance. But this would depend upon Grimes becoming part of the leadership group next season - one would think - and then the support of his peers and continued good showing on field; improved leadership on/off field.

For the moment though, someone like Green would be a firm favourite.

Agreed.

Whilst at the moment I think there is no need to rush for Grimes. Just wondered what your thoughts might be if Junior did play on in 2011 (which I think he will at this stage). Grimes would then have 56 games (if played all 22 games next year) at 2011 season's end. As my post indicates above, which is something I brought up before this season commenced, it could be something to be considered. He'd have to be in the leadership group before the 2011 season commences though IMO.

There is alot still to happen, and I don't begrudge Green or Moloney for that matter. What is important is what is best for the club. I acknowledge that Grimes would have to take another step up or two for this to happen. But gee he holds himself well and has "it" written all over him from my point-of-view.

i agree with Moloney taking it on for a couple of years before handing to one of our developing stars!

Heard an amazing story about him. For every new draftee to the club Beamer provides them with an info pack on the history of the MFC. Books and a few other things, the boys are then told to go away study it and come back and tell the team what is means to be a part of this great club.

What a great way to teach these boys what it means to be part of MFC!

i agree with Moloney taking it on for a couple of years before handing to one of our developing stars!

Heard an amazing story about him. For every new draftee to the club Beamer provides them with an info pack on the history of the MFC. Books and a few other things, the boys are then told to go away study it and come back and tell the team what is means to be a part of this great club.

What a great way to teach these boys what it means to be part of MFC!

I'm on the Moloney bandwagon (and admit that I would've preferred him over Junior, so now I look ridiculous). Just watch the footage of the Team Song after the Brisbane game again. If he isn't the most passionate MFC man in the team, I'll walk barefoot to the Gulf.

I'm on the Moloney bandwagon (and admit that I would've preferred him over Junior, so now I look ridiculous). Just watch the footage of the Team Song after the Brisbane game again. If he isn't the most passionate MFC man in the team, I'll walk barefoot to the Gulf.

Just because your favourite for the job doesnt get the nod hardly makes you look ridiculous

I picked Grimes as a future captain and my favoured pick after Junior retires

IMO there are a few canditates that would do a great job

Brad Green for example seems to not have anyone against him being the captain

We also dont know if part of his contract negotiations Davey isnt the future Melbourne Captain