• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

grimes=next skipper

Strawbsodwyer

Beamer for me if he can stay on the park. i think he'd make a great leader he leads by example always puts hes body on the line and loves

the club, hes always heard on the field and is passionate about the club. davey hes vice. Can let Frank grimes at least play 70 to 80 games before

we start forcing him the captaincy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grimes has showed great development, in the 14 or so games he's played. He looks like he may become a good player, but it's way to early to claim he should be the next captain of MFC.

It's out of Davey, Moloney or Green for me, I'd be happy with one of these 3.

Edited by tatu

Green for captain until Grimes (or whoever else) is old enough and experienced enough,

There is merit to seriously considerGrimes- in particular if he has a great year.Iagree with most but look at what David Hookes did with the Victorian cricket team, put in a very young captain and look at them over the last 5 years in all aspects.

I think Davey, Bruce, Green and Moloney are the candidates to take over IF Junior decides to hang up the boots at years end. It's likely at this stage, but after a great game in the praccy match last weekend I'll wait to reserve judgement. He struggled with injuries last year and wasn't near his best but if his body will allow he could still be a valuable player for us for another year or two.

Davey is in the box seat imo, he came on in leaps and bounds last year in both on and off field leadership. He needs to back it up this year but its his if he can repeat the form of 2009. He needs to stay focused on his footy and not let nigglers get to him like they have in the past.

Bruce is older than the rest and not a favourite around here, but he clearly has the respect of those actually at the club. If Davey falls into old bad habits and Junior calls it quits, Cam may just be a stop gap captain for a year or two.

Green is a bit of a wildcard imo. Being left out of the leadership group by player vote a couple of seasons ago stung Brad into action and he's tried to be more of a leader around the club. It's hard to tell from the outside how successful he's been. Some people just aren't leaders, not sure about Green. On field he's a leader but off?

Moloney would be a Richie Vandenburg type captain. An honest workhorse who loves the club, I'm not sure it's enough. A few years from now he'll struggle to be in our best midfield setup and maybe the 22. Not sure it'd be the best thing for his career long term.

If Junior did have a good year and decide to go around again, Grimes would shorten considerably in the betting. He'd need 2 years of consistent footy before he could be considered. I know there's been precedents for young captains but I think they would have all been at least around the 50 game mark.

I think Davey, Bruce, Green and Moloney are the candidates to take over IF Junior decides to hang up the boots at years end. It's likely at this stage, but after a great game in the praccy match last weekend I'll wait to reserve judgement. He struggled with injuries last year and wasn't near his best but if his body will allow he could still be a valuable player for us for another year or two.

Davey is in the box seat imo, he came on in leaps and bounds last year in both on and off field leadership. He needs to back it up this year but its his if he can repeat the form of 2009. He needs to stay focused on his footy and not let nigglers get to him like they have in the past.

Bruce is older than the rest and not a favourite around here, but he clearly has the respect of those actually at the club. If Davey falls into old bad habits and Junior calls it quits, Cam may just be a stop gap captain for a year or two.

Green is a bit of a wildcard imo. Being left out of the leadership group by player vote a couple of seasons ago stung Brad into action and he's tried to be more of a leader around the club. It's hard to tell from the outside how successful he's been. Some people just aren't leaders, not sure about Green. On field he's a leader but off?

Moloney would be a Richie Vandenburg type captain. An honest workhorse who loves the club, I'm not sure it's enough. A few years from now he'll struggle to be in our best midfield setup and maybe the 22. Not sure it'd be the best thing for his career long term.

If Junior did have a good year and decide to go around again, Grimes would shorten considerably in the betting. He'd need 2 years of consistent footy before he could be considered. I know there's been precedents for young captains but I think they would have all been at least around the 50 game mark.

Isn't McDonald already our Vandenburg type captain?

I love him but he doesn't really demand to be followed on the field does he?

A Green or Davey can actually win you a game off their own boot and demand to be followed (on the field).

But dare I say it Grimes more so than all of them has the combined attributes both on and off. I'd like to see Junior go around again next year but hand the captaincy over to Green, Davey and Moloney for a year or two before Grimes inevitably earns it.

jamar - more chance than grimes getting the captaincy ? not sure about that one, even if he does play every game.

it's meant to be a joke...talking about grimes as next captain is premature,,,i think this thread should be renamed so it doesn't promote any further discussion towards grimes...

From an outsiders point of view. (Matt Burgan, 09/03/10)

'Most Important Player:

Aaron Davey took his game to another level in 2009, with his exquisite skills, particularly by foot, resulting in his first Keith 'Bluey' Truscott Memorial Trophy.

His leadership also went to another level and his ability to spark the side is perhaps unrivalled at Melbourne.'

Looking at our new ad campaign Id say there setting it up for him to be captain.

Providing his on and off field form continues.

So Jack, Tom, Jack and Aaron to be co captains then

I think one player will emerge. It always happens.

I actually hope it is a player no one has spoken about.

Before the Practise Games i was 50/50 on Brad or Aaron-now i think the betting is wide open.

• 1 month later...

Grimes is a star on the rise. How good will he be with 50 games under his belt ?

based on tonights performance....junior could take another year if he travels well and grimes could take over for 2012.

Thoughts?

GREEN for me

helllllo jmac is are captain atm and doing an amazing job and will continue to do it through this yr n he nxt so for christ sake stop gettin carried away and support the bloke whose doin it now!

helllllo jmac is are captain atm and doing an amazing job and will continue to do it through this yr n he nxt so for christ sake stop gettin carried away and support the bloke whose doin it now!

yes jmac is doing a great job...i don't want to replace him at all...but grimes seems like the next bloke.

i can't look past how cool he seems as the last line of defence.

if jamar plays every game this year he has more chance of grimes getting captain

based on tonights performance....junior could take another year if he travels well and grimes could take over for 2012.

Thoughts?

Two months ago you mooted Jamar on this thread.

To be honest, I have brought up your exact thoughts on the Captaincy from Junior-to-Grimes before. For the moment Junior is playing great footy and if he continues this for the season, there is no reason why he cannot see 2011. If this does eventuate it would certainly enhance Grimes chance. But this would depend upon Grimes becoming part of the leadership group next season - one would think - and then the support of his peers and continued good showing on field; improved leadership on/off field.

For the moment though, someone like Green would be a firm favourite.

Beamer for me if he can stay on the park. i think he'd make a great leader he leads by example always puts hes body on the line and loves

the club, hes always heard on the field and is passionate about the club. davey hes vice. Can let Frank grimes at least play 70 to 80 games before

we start forcing him the captaincy.

Great call.......would love to see Beamer as captain, or even Davey for that matter......I think both could do the job well!