Ball no longer a Saint, confirmed.

Redleg

I confess ..didnt hear all of it.. just ..snippetts.. and more later.. Yes he said they were keen...said they had been from 2.00 pm on the 9th... but that despite all the communication toward Connors ( and hence Ball) that nothing has been returned. Yes Melbourne has interest...and Ball has none ;)

I listened to the whole interview, not much of interest. Except the question put to Bailey about whether or not we would pick up Ball if he said he had no interest playing for Melbourne.

Bailey said something along the lines of: "it would be a very short meeting", as expected I suppose. But part of me has a bit of a problem with this. Assuming for a second that Ball talks to every club that has a PSD pick before Collingwood and says the same thing to them, and assuming that every club holds the same philosophy of avoiding players who say they don't want to play for the club. Then Ball essentially is a free agent.

Obviously the reality is different, but I still find it an interesting situation for club and player.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It keeps coming back really to the idea of....Do you want someone on your list that you dragged there kicking and screaming ? Bails wont. We know he isnt all that keen at all on players who dont want play for the jumper...or that do things in a clandestine manner.

If it was intimated in a meet up with Ball that he has no desire then Bails suggested we would back off completely. I agree.

Later on Hungry..with Denham ..Greg also wondered ( like I do ) why a simple communication hasnt been conveyed to the club saying just that...."that he has no interest in playing in Red and Blue" . They concurred that its all a bit strange.

Bails thought Ball a good fit...and was keen...but only if he ( Ball ) was...otherwise not interested.

Nothing new really, perhaps a re-hashed grab just off SEN: -

Demons throw all at Luke Ball

It's becoming a bit comical. We have "spoken to Connors and others to help us get to speak to Ball" without success. I presume that means he doesn't want to talk to us. Surely that means he doesn't want to play for us. Isn't that the end of the story?

It's becoming a bit comical. We have "spoken to Connors and others to help us get to speak to Ball" without success. I presume that means he doesn't want to talk to us. Surely that means he doesn't want to play for us. Isn't that the end of the story?

I dont know about everyone else but I concur 100% with you Red, you would think that was exactly the case. No talking means no interest ( and no courtesy or decency either for mine ). Hes not THAT good to be bending over backwards etc for.

The guy's obviously got not cohunas !! How hard to say... "sorry ,thanks but not interested"

You know what .. if this is the nature of the bloke then he doesnt deserve to get a Red and Blue guernsey.

Am very disappointed in Ball....I thought he had some ;)

as an afterthought.. The club I think is doing itself no favours by fawning , they should just call it a day...announce that to the world/media and categorically state. We are better than this, we expect our players and club delegates to behave in honour and respect for the club. we need to control this...not be at the beck and call of divas.

Edited by belzebub59

My guess is Luke is trying to get a deal done with St Kilda. He doesn't want to speak to anybody until he's either signed for the aints or negotiations break down. He would no doubt be using the threat of coming to us as leverage for the deal he wants.

The question is, how long do we twiddle our thumbs and wait? I think he could nominate for the psd after the national draft. If Luke is still in hiding a week or two before the national draft we should give him a deadline. Talk to us or go to Richmond, I'd rather get young Grimey at 34 anyway.

My guess is Luke is trying to get a deal done with St Kilda. He doesn't want to speak to anybody until he's either signed for the aints or negotiations break down. He would no doubt be using the threat of coming to us as leverage for the deal he wants.

The question is, how long do we twiddle our thumbs and wait? I think he could nominate for the psd after the national draft. If Luke is still in hiding a week or two before the national draft we should give him a deadline. Talk to us or go to Richmond, I'd rather get young Grimey at 34 anyway.

Correct..Saints are number 1 problem to deal with, We the MFC are number 2.

Draft day has not happened yet, there is still time. People are just impatient these days....

so the best we can hope for at present is he eventually gets off his pedestal and joins...but unable to put in a full pre season...My...thats professionalism and dedication for you :huh:

so the best we can hope for at present is he eventually gets off his pedestal and joins...but unable to put in a full pre season...My...thats professionalism and dedication for you :huh:

Don't worry BB if Ball comes to melbourne he will have to train his ass off or those young kiddies will burn him right up.

He would be aware of that....

I'm not sure about the AFL's rules regarding draft tampering but is it possible that Ball's reluctance to tell Bailey to his face that he doesn't want to play for the club due to the fact that it might put him in some sort of jeopardy with the AFL?

That's really the only way I can make any sense of Bailey's comments. After all, it's been three weeks since the end of trade week. Ball's been to the Big Apple and back, attended the Cup, spoken to Lyon and now he's pizzed off to Honkers without deigning to speak to Bailey. I reckon actions speak louder than words and that he might just be telling the club something by doing that.

That's really the only way I can make any sense of Bailey's comments. After all, it's been three weeks since the end of trade week. Ball's been to the Big Apple and back, attended the Cup, spoken to Lyon and now he's pizzed off to Honkers without deigning to speak to Bailey. I reckon actions speak louder than words and that he might just be telling the club something by doing that.

I think him not speaking to us isn't that big of an issue... I don't think we were ever going to pick him in the ND... If he was going to come to us, it would be via the PSD, which he has plenty of time to nominate for... National draft nominations are due next week I believe, if he doesn't nominate, he'll end up either with us or the Saints.The fact that he's overseas again, suggests to me that he's not going to nominate for the National Draft, unless of course he's already made that decision and his manager is yet to submit the paperwork.

I'm not sure about the AFL's rules regarding draft tampering but is it possible that Ball's reluctance to tell Bailey to his face that he doesn't want to play for the club due to the fact that it might put him in some sort of jeopardy with the AFL?

Someone else also raised this point WJ. There is no problem in saying " I don't want to play for you". The breach is "refusing to do so" if you have nominated for the draft and are selected.

Someone else also raised this point WJ. There is no problem in saying " I don't want to play for you". The breach is "refusing to do so" if you have nominated for the draft and are selected.

That's odd. I would have thought that once you select a player and he refuses to play then he's pretty subjected himself to a self-imposed penalty in that he won't be playing at all or collecting any pay for a certain period of time. I know it was a while ago but what happened in the Chalmers case?

That's odd. I would have thought that once you select a player and he refuses to play then he's pretty subjected himself to a self-imposed penalty in that he won't be playing at all or collecting any pay for a certain period of time. I know it was a while ago but what happened in the Chalmers case?

Read my post again WJ, I said penalty only applies if he is "selected" and refuses to play with that club. There is no penalty if a player says to a club before selection that he would prefer not to play with them.

Read my post again WJ, I said penalty only applies if he is "selected" and refuses to play with that club. There is no penalty if a player says to a club before selection that he would prefer not to play with them.

Are you saying that there's no sanction where a player indicates before a draft that he won't play for a particular club or clubs?

That wasn't the case previously so the AFL must have changed it's rules. I can't imagine the AFL allowing someone like Tom Scully for e.g to say that he won't play for a particular club.

Are you saying that there's no sanction where a player indicates before a draft that he won't play for a particular club or clubs?

That wasn't the case previously so the AFL must have changed it's rules. I can't imagine the AFL allowing someone like Tom Scully for e.g to say that he won't play for a particular club.

The key word you have used is "wont". I was referring to players stating their preference. To tell a club you "wont' play for them if selected would have to be a form of draft tampering and would carry a sanction of some kind. What if that was said and then the player was selected by that club and agreed to play. There are different forms of this problem ranging from " I would not like to play with your club" to " if you select me I won't come" and ultimately " refusing to play for the club that selected you".

I listened to the whole interview, not much of interest. Except the question put to Bailey about whether or not we would pick up Ball if he said he had no interest playing for Melbourne.

Bailey said something along the lines of: "it would be a very short meeting", as expected I suppose. But part of me has a bit of a problem with this. Assuming for a second that Ball talks to every club that has a PSD pick before Collingwood and says the same thing to them, and assuming that every club holds the same philosophy of avoiding players who say they don't want to play for the club. Then Ball essentially is a free agent.

Obviously the reality is different, but I still find it an interesting situation for club and player.

Absolute disgraceful comment by Bailey as usual. If Scully and Trengove had a choice they wouldn't choose us they would choose a top team but they don't. Why give Ball the choice? If anyone thinks that players are desperate to come to us they have rocks in their head we have to sell, sell, sell. I can't believe they would give Ball an easy get out option.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bomb...f-1225795187734

Now the Bombers are in the chase it was reported on 3AW this morning that they may take him at their second pick in the national draft.

It appears from this he has no interest in joining the Dees.

I can't see Ball going past pick 18; typically Essendon are smoking the same weed as Collingwood.

Absolute disgraceful comment by Bailey as usual. If Scully and Trengove had a choice they wouldn't choose us they would choose a top team but they don't. Why give Ball the choice? If anyone thinks that players are desperate to come to us they have rocks in their head we have to sell, sell, sell. I can't believe they would give Ball an easy get out option.

honestly... what are you on? Theres a vast difference between Scully?trengove situation as draftess and Ball as a mature ( doubtful ) senior player. bal canself determine... the draftess dont expect to... dont let those little things cloud your comments:rolleyes:

Ugh.