The Dylan Grimes Thread

frawley for captain

Should we draft him at 34?

I think yes, some part of that is because I want both the grimes boys at the dees. both supported melbourne while growing up and it would be like having the Febey twins again.

From what I understand, he's not a standout but a reliable key backman and is quick.

People keep referring to Matty Warnock as a young up and comer, he is 26 years old. a late bloomer.

Dylan Grimes would give us another younger key defender for the future to help out Frawley and Garland when Rivers and Warnock are over the hill.

I really think its important to build family traditions at football clubs. And especially in this case, with the Grimes family being a Melbourne supporting family, it would be fantastic.

And it certainly wouldn't be just a sentimental choice. Most people who know more about these things than me believe Dylan should get picked up.

If Batram has gone, there is Pick 18 open.

For 34 to be open one of Cheney, McNamara, and Buckley has to go.

Dylan Grimes for Buckley?

I don't know these kids but that is the decision the club will be making very soon.

I haven't seen much of him, but if he's as good as the next kid available at pick 34, then absolutely I'd want him.

His draft camp results were pleasantly surprising, he is obviously passionate about the club, will have an easier transition into AFL with his brother by his side, and from all reports has the same great attitude.

Of course he has to be amongst the best available, otherwise we'd be wasting a pick for the sake of brotherly love.

I really think its important to build family traditions at football clubs. And especially in this case, with the Grimes family being a Melbourne supporting family, it would be fantastic.

And it certainly wouldn't be just a sentimental choice. Most people who know more about these things than me believe Dylan should get picked up.

I'm as sentimental as anyone when it comes to my football team of almost 60 years, and I agree that family traditions are great. The Cordners, Hassa and Len Mannn and the Febeys are good examples at Melbourne. On the other hand, when they don't work out, family ties bring a bit of heightened expectation for a season or two, and then nothing more. I had great expectations for the great Robbie Flower's younger brother Tom (undoubtedly because I presumed it was in his genes), but he lasted three seasons, and played most of them in the seconds.

My point is, draft Dylan Grimes by all means, but only if he is considered the best available at that pick. Sentimentality is a huge part of our game, but it has absolutely no part to play in draft selections.

Sentimentality is a huge part of our game, but it has absolutely no part to play in draft selections.

It definitely has no part to play when drafting.

I'm wondering if Dylan would be spoken about if his last name wasn't Grimes.

Burgan rates him from the pick 30-50 range.

He's starting to slowly release his ratings of eligible players in the lead-up to his phantom draft.

Tall Defenders - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...91/default.aspx

Medium Defenders - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...82/default.aspx

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Burgan rates him from the pick 30-50 range.

That seems good enough for me for #34. I like the idea of a kid living my dream.

I am hoping we can take Dylan Grimes at 34 and Majak Daw at 50.

I think Grimes will develop into a key back. His brother is an exceptional player and I think Dylan will follow. I believe he is only 12 months behind from when Jack was drafted. He will come on quickly though I would think.

Majak Daw. Has all the potential any club would like. I just hope it is us!

He doesn't know who he wants - it all depends on who got a write-up the day before

Im still on the Alex Stopp bandwagon for a tall defender.195cm & 85kg & played all year at CHB & FB for Norwoods league side.He had a interview with the crows today as they are looking at him.Id love to have him & hes a true defender with pace & size & hes good mates with Trengove to :)

The thing about getting someone like Dylan Grimes is that you have an idea what sort of character you are getting. We know that Jack is a great kid with a good head on his shoulders and he has shown already that he can cope with the pressure of senior football. These attributes that have been instilled in him from his upbringing and probably genetics.

Its a fair bet that if Dylan can play footy chances are he is cut of the same stuff. Would like to see him at our club.

I'm as sentimental as anyone when it comes to my football team of almost 60 years, and I agree that family traditions are great. The Cordners, Hassa and Len Mannn and the Febeys are good examples at Melbourne. On the other hand, when they don't work out, family ties bring a bit of heightened expectation for a season or two, and then nothing more. I had great expectations for the great Robbie Flower's younger brother Tom (undoubtedly because I presumed it was in his genes), but he lasted three seasons, and played most of them in the seconds.

My point is, draft Dylan Grimes by all means, but only if he is considered the best available at that pick. Sentimentality is a huge part of our game, but it has absolutely no part to play in draft selections.

Bryan Stynes?

Yze's brother? (not sure how you spell his first name!)

And blokes who had great brothers in other clubs;

Glen Jakovich's brother?

Che Cockatoo-Collins' twin brothers?

Not sure why I submitted this post, but I had a laugh while doing it!

Edited by billy2803

Dylan Grimes has elite speed, elite agility and top skills. The reason why he isn't a top 10 selection you ask? Because he is 192cm. Once again, I rest my case. Being 192cm doesn't mean you can't be a top liner..but it certainly drops you down the pecking order in the draft.

Dylan Grimes has elite speed, elite agility and top skills. The reason why he isn't a top 10 selection you ask? Because he is 192cm. Once again, I rest my case. Being 192cm doesn't mean you can't be a top liner..but it certainly drops you down the pecking order in the draft.

Oh God... not this old chestnut :lol:

This draft is all going to be risky outside the top 20. One thing that is hard to teach a player is to BLEED for your club, and Grimes already does that. At pick 34 it is all going to be guesswork, mark my words it is going to be murky waters outside the top 20, and grimes will be there come pick 34.

If he is a quality kid, the dees will already know about him and have had a long hard look. If he is on the board at 34 and we pass, you know that they know something we dont. If he is selected @ 34, the dees will eliminate some risk ,as I said earlier, they will know a bit about him already.

Pick 50 being used? I would not bet on it, consider it just a number as I cannot see it being used.

I like what I've heard; he's probably worth 34 without any sentiment.

But the club will have had good information on him, he's probably met several players thorugh his brother, likely some officials too.

And actually, yes, there is room for sentiment in football. There is also room for psychological advantage, unity, motivation, culture. It's not a computer game, y'know.

You rest your case?!

I'm sorry, I thought that was a figure of speech...

Case Closed.

If I hear objection and sustained one more time I am just going to scream!

Objection.

Sustained.

Aaaarrrrggghhh!!

Once again, I rest my case.

Would you? Please?

You are a clown. You've been proven flat out, 100% wrong time, and time, and time again...

And you're STILL trying to sell us this garbage. Until years from now a player at 192cm fails, and then you'll claim to be a genius, despite the dozens of success stories before them.

How does Y_M's crown feel on that noggin?

I am hoping we can take Dylan Grimes at 34 and Majak Daw at 50.

I think Grimes will develop into a key back. His brother is an exceptional player and I think Dylan will follow. I believe he is only 12 months behind from when Jack was drafted. He will come on quickly though I would think.

Majak Daw. Has all the potential any club would like. I just hope it is us!

Daw would seem a very speculative late pick, or rookie pick.

Could be very exciting, or very ordinary.

But remember who we got at PSD #1 this year - the ultimate excitement machine.

Edited by monoccular

Bryan Stynes?

Yze's brother? (not sure how you spell his first name!)

And blokes who had great brothers in other clubs;

Glen Jakovich's brother?

Che Cockatoo-Collins' twin brothers?

Not sure why I submitted this post, but I had a laugh while doing it!

Not sure either ................ but just to keep you laughing, you can add Jay Viney to the list.