Melbourne v St. Kilda

Demonland

Tell us who you think will win and why ... your features of the game ... the highlights and what you're looking forward to ...

The best efforts in the estimation of our judging panel will be included in this week's match preview.

Let's see your best efforts on Melbourne v St. Kilda

St-kilda by 6 goals

..B: Whelan Frawley Wheatley

HB: McDonald Rivers McNamara

..C: Morton McLean Davey

HF: Petterd Bate Sylvia

..F: Martin Robbo Jurrah

FOLL: Johnson, Moloney, Jones

I/C: Jamar Bartram, Bennell, Jetta

EM: Valenti, Miller, Dunn, Cheney, McKenzie,

I'd like to see all of our fit indigenous boys in the team for both Wheels & Davey.

Wheatley in his customary role.

Robbo has the goal square.

A big sendoff for 3 of our favourites.

Edited by dee-luded

This Game should be held at Twilight on Good Friday.

Demons v Saints, How cool would that be with a full house.

Get Father Bob from JJJ to toss the coin

We gotta do it.

I like that, twilight in April, Good Friday, with a function afterwards.

Review.

Wooden Spooner vs Minor Premier - Round 22, MCG; 2:10pm

Record:

St Kilda 19-2

Melbourne 4-17

LAST TIME THEY MET: Round 10 Carrara, QLD

ST KILDA 5.3 7.8 10.11 11.17 (83)

MELBOURNE 4.5 6.6 6.6 6.10 (46)

GOALS

St Kilda: Riewoldt 4, Goddard 2, Ray, Koschitzke, Gwilt, Geary, McQualter

Melbourne: Sylvia, Bruce, Frawley, Maric, Bate, Green

BEST

St Kilda: Hayes, Jones, Reiwoldt, Dal Santo, Montagna

Melbourne: Jamar, Rivers, McLean, Bruce, Green, Moloney, Goddard

INJURIES

St Kilda: Milne (knee) replaced in selected side by Gram

Melbourne: None

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Matthew James, Stefan Grun, Chris Kamolins

Official crowd: 9112 at Gold Coast Stadium

The Minor Premiers, St Kilda, having lost their past two games to North Melbourne & Essendon by less than a kick (or by a Riewoldt kick), venture to the MCG for the first time in season 2009. Unbelievable isn't it. But that's just how things workout with such an uneven fixture, so if you hear any Saints fans whinge on the way to the game, be sure to point out what Melbourne is served up by Vlad & his puppet.

With finals the week after, the Saints & Rossy Lyon will be determined to put a stop to their form slump immediately, by ramping up their game to such a level in preparation for the finals. What better place to do it than at the MCG. One of the area's the Saints haven't been well at of late is the contested ball. They've been beaten in this area the last couple of weeks and their stat for contested ball has not been at the level they pride themselves on. The return of Luke Ball is significant in terms of contested ball.

For Melbourne, it will be a somewhat sad affair. For Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan & Russell Robertson will grace the hallowed turf for the last time in the Red & Blue. Each have been fantastic contributors for the Melbourne Football Club, each have represented Melbourne in various finals campaigns and they each can hold their head high as they take the last walk off the ground in the Red & Blue in front of their beloved supporters on Sunday evening.

Each of these players are well respected among their teammates and have devoted their time for Mfc on and off the field. All role models in their own right, not just for the supporters but for some of their teammates or brothers as well. Ie. Wheels. Let's not forget that.

I for one will be there to clap them at the conclusion of the game on Sunday. I'll remember Wheats for his tireless work in the back half, his long penetrating kicks and his 'Supergoals'. Wheels for his hardness, he's accountability and his speed within and around the backline. Robbo for his exciting high flying, many of his 420-odd+ goals and his emotion.

I hope many Melbourne members/supporters do too.

Oh...I guess we need my verdict for the outcome of the game too. I expect St.Kilda to be relentless on Sunday and get the job done well enough for their confidence for the finals. I expect Melbourne to be just as hard early and enthusiastic for their retiring teammates.

However, St.Kilda should be too strong. St.Kilda by 48 points.

For you 45hotgod16: -

whelan.jpg

Edited by High Tower

Tell us who you think will win and why ... your features of the game ... the highlights and what you're looking forward to ...

The best efforts in the estimation of our judging panel will be included in this week's match preview.

Let's see your best efforts on Melbourne v St. Kilda

We will lose.

Pithy.

The Saints first game at the 'G. Thus early results, along with emotion, will push the Demons to play the day at breakneck speed. The Saints will let us run early with basic accountability (within their structures) but they will be sure take their opportunities when they no doubt present. As with last week I expect us go hot and cold but still toe to toe almost to the end of the first half. The stats that matter at that time:

Robbo: One reel of highlights and a saugage or four,

Wheels: One forward snag and one legal crunch (Milne?),

Wheats: A dash along the wing to bomb one from 65m.

Youth: Full complement of multi-role red-hot-go delivered.

Then we'll get shut down. Then we'll get tired and (hopefully not :() injured. It's then all about what's left and at what level that can be delivered. The second half won't be pretty. I'm hoping Richmond last year is as bad as it might be.. but the Saints will be merciless. Not that the Demons will surrender until the final siren, they will simply, evidently, be outclassed.

The day though belongs the to retirees (even if club only). One more time around boys, thanks again.

On the selection front there's been a lot of focus on injuries. Most of the talk has been about Nick Riewoldt with the paparazzi chasing him around town earlier in the week like the late Princess Di to check up on the scans on his injured knee. Lenny Hayes and Max Hudghton have also come under scrutiny over their mystery ailments. Meanwhile, nobody gives a rat's about the fact that Melbourne's injury list continues to nudge around 20. Having your players fit at the end of a long, hard season is vital. Just ask Collingwood which  is about to take over flag favouritism from the Saints and the Cats. The Maggies have only one player on their injured list, Tristan Francis, and nobody's ever heard of him. That's why they're so hot at the minute.

But even without Riewoldt, Hayes, Hudghton and the out of form Ball, the Saints have to start favourites in this game even if the game is taking place on territory unfamiliar to them - the MCG. The fact that they will have most of their guns available makes the Saints almost unbackable to win and win well in the biggest mismatch of the season.  

Saints by minimum of 10 goals.

They will have a few out , we will play a few with poor fitness.

They are on the rebound as well.

Davey to get a bunch more possesions and sew up the Bluey.

Bate to get 4 sausage rolls.

Could be a fiery game, with a few on both sides with a lot to prove.

To the players in their last hitouts-thanks for your efforts!

Never forget you were a Demons' Footballer.

Predicted scoreline?

No chance after last game - we could't kick behinds from any angle against Carltank!

Sunday afternoon at the G at 2.10 begins the last game of the home and away season for Melbourne. Its the last game on teh hallowed ground before the following weeks finals. Of the two teams competing this day one looks to this September with legitimate expectations the other loks to games far more distant in time if finals are to be considered.

Amazingly this is StKildas only outing at the G this year . It must seem strangely foreign and yet at the same time familiar. The Saints wil be expecting a result far better than their history agaisnt the home side would sugest . Having played 88 times at the G Melbourne have triumphed on 58 of those occurences but they were possibly in better times.

It isnt without reason that StKilda sit atop the ladder and Melbourne diametrically at the opposite end on the bottom. The two sides will have only one thing in common this Sunday and thats the colur and shape of the ball. Stkildas window is firmly openand the breeze blows strong. Melbourne's is quietly closed for the moment awaiting the finishing touches to renovation before pushing it ajar.

Whilst there ought to be a spirited contest only one team really has anything immediate to play for and I expect this to be very much a tune up and reminder of winning for the Saints. Melbourne will bid farewell to a trio of club stalwarts. Two different teams at two different moments in the evolutionary cycle called football.

Barring further injurey to the Demons a valiant if unsuccessful day will probably play out with a recorded loss of 7-8 goals to the homeside.

I said this last week, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get close against the Saints. My best mate's Dad got us some tickets for the crown box (best seats in the house!) for the St Kilda game on Sunday and they were pathetic. As soon as they ran through the banner, you could tell they were off. If they play in a similar way against us, we may well upset them too! They were only playing the Roos afterall and we'll have the added incentive of playing for our retirees. I expect this one to be within a couple of kicks. Surely, though, you'd St Kilda would have enough to beat us...

Bottom V Top, Hell V Heaven, Demons V Saints, Bad V Good, Draft Hope V Premeirship Hope, Melbourne V St. Kilda. One team playing to lose, the other couldn't lose if it tried. One squad moving from veterans to the young, the other fimly entrenched in the here and now. One group of supporters coming to farewell the past and witness the future, or at least part of it, the other group coming because it's their first chance to see their heroes at the home of Football. Like Mecca for Muslims, Bodhgaya for Buddhists, Jerusalem for Christians, the local clinic for Pies fans, it's a must to come to the MCG, to revel in the history, to breath in the future and to hope, to hope that in 4 weeks time it's their team that's alive and holding up that Cup.

In reality, the game will be about finishing off a season that for Melbourne finished long ago, with just the need to lose once more to receive the final input of hope for the future. That of Thomas "second Son of God" Scully, the annoited heir apparent to the throne held for a year by one Jackyboy "Son of God" Watts. For the Melbourne faithful it's one more position filled toward that elusive 13th premeirship team. If Scully and Watts turn out to be half as good as is hoped, no expected, then Melbourne is in safe hands. For being a Melbourne supporter is and for a long time, has been about hope, hope that one day we will be feared again, one day we will be winners again. For mine I feel that day is coming. A day when the September sun shines on a Dais with Red and Blue balloons filling the air, 104,879 rabid fans celebrating in the glory that is the coming of the Lord, or in this case, Melbourne Premeirship captain Jack Watts to receive his Norm Smith Medal.

That day had it's seeds in the here and now. Jim Stynes, Chris Connolly, Cameron Schwab and a commited Melbourne Board and family has planted those seeds, Dean Bailey is tending those seeds, ensuring that we get an excellent strike rate, one that offers us the opportunity we so richly deserve.

So when you wake up on Sunday and think why would I want to go to the Football today? Think of the past, think of Matty Whelan's shoulder and James Hird's head, think of his dash from half back, think of the tackles, think of his heart. Think of Paul Wheatley's first super goal, think of his efforts to overcome injury, think of his love for the jumper. Remember Russell Robertson's trademark leap, think of all those goals and think of his ability to do it for this great club. For F**k's sake if that doesn't get you there then come and see the future. Watch as Liam Jurrah does things that only he can do, watch as Aaron Davey mesmerises the opposition with his grace and flair, watch as Nathan Jones puts his head over the ball time and time again, watch a revitalised Jared Rivers back into a pack to repel another attack, watch as you witness the makings of the next great AFL team.

As supporters we have a duty, a duty to support our team, so get out of bed, get your gear on and get on down to the G, because there's 22 players, a coach, a truly dedicated President and countless others who are all going to be there giving it there all to put this club back on top where it belongs!

Saints by 62,

Edited by Roost It

Saints 16.10 106

Demons 12.10 82

I would be happy with that scoreline for sure.

Its a loss that we need for our future but not hammered out of the ground and humiliated by a much better team ( for now anyway!).

I think we will start well and, as mentioned above, probably stay with them until about half time. They will then go into 3rd gear and start to put their foot on the pedal and pull away.

Hopefully, to our boys credit, they will not give up and will try until the end but willl be outclassed this time.

Well done to Wheels,Wheats and Robbo and we surely will cheer you all off the ground for services to our great club and wish you all well for your futures.

For us , well we get the "golden spoon" ( golden rather than wooden as we get such a nice little "bonus" of the two draft picks which surely must be like gold with future drafts so compromised) but all is not grim. We have a wonderful bunch of young players coming up and some talented guys to help them along ( Rivers, Sylvia, Moloney, Green, Bruce, Davey) and some we have barely seen but have so much hope for. We will rise like the Phoenix over the next few years and I can see us with that cup around 2012/13.

Wishful thinking?? Perhaps because a lot has to go our way for a change and injury, rule changes, and perhaps some not delivering their promise could change things but I, love a fairytale and it's time the Melbourne Football Club got their fairytale and rose back to the top where we belong!

Good post Roost It.

Our mob are exhausted, depleted, last placed and playing for draft picks. Their mob are in the calm before the storm, are the side of the year and are looking to find some form before the real season starts for them.

We'll play at 100%, so will they, but I can't see how this could possibly result in anything but a complete and utter smashing.

Yes, good post Roost It.

Last game of the year, these boys deserve and our team deserve a good send off for 2009....

I said prior to the Freo game that Jurrah will net a bag of goals. He kicked 4.

I reckon he'll kick 6 this weekend. It's players such as Jurrah that are worth coming to see just for that reason.

Good post Roost It.

Our mob are exhausted, depleted, last placed and playing for draft picks. Their mob are in the calm before the storm, are the side of the year and are looking to find some form before the real season starts for them.

We'll play at 100%, so will they, but I can't see how this could possibly result in anything but a complete and utter smashing.

Well after my brain fade on the Wheatley retirement thread i thought I owed it :o

Interesting article by Jon Ralph on page 109 of today's Herald Sun.In the article he is bunging on how Richmond can't afford to win tonight so as to retain pick 3. He then goes on to say " Given Melbourne with picks one and two will probably take ..............."

I would have thought the Melbourne V's St.Kilda game was still to be played therefore we have not as yet sealed pick one and two?

Interesting article by Jon Ralph on page 109 of today's Herald Sun.In the article he is bunging on how Richmond can't afford to win tonight so as to retain pick 3. He then goes on to say " Given Melbourne with picks one and two will probably take ..............."

I would have thought the Melbourne V's St.Kilda game was still to be played therefore we have not as yet sealed pick one and two?

Now see the final result in THE FULL CIRCLE