Robbo at the crossroads

beelzebub

Robertson's future unclear for now

from teh mfc site:

""THE PLAYING future of Melbourne forward Russell Robertson remains unclear beyond this year.

Coach Dean Bailey indicated there would be some tough decisions made on several players at season's end, though he would not be drawn on Robertson's career.""

Well its hardly a surprise in some regards. We all knew this time ( indedd his time ) would come.

""Bailey said respect and integrity would be shown towards Robertson and any other player when considering their fate.""

well.. kind of written on the wall perhaps !!

For all his ups and downs ( intended!! lol ) he's been a great servant and player in good and bad times. Not perfect, who is. Probably like quite a few Demons will look on from the stands as Melbourne wins its next flag wondering about what could have been. well Robbo, this is for sure youve entertained us a long the way, not without frustrations but youre not alone in that regard. Enjoy the rest of 09 mate as who knows what 010 is bringing.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all his ups and downs ( intended!! lol ) he's been a great servant and player in good and bad times. Not perfect, who is. Probably like quite a few Demons will look on from the stands as Melbourne wins its next flag wondering about what could have been. well Robbo, this is for sure youve entertained us a long the way, not without frustrations but youre not alone in that regard. Enjoy the rest of 09 mate as who knows what 010 is bringing.

Agree. He's done and I'm sure he knows it too. He's been a great one to watch over the years.

Just the other week I was watching the last quarter of the game against the Eagles in Perth back in 1998. It was something like Robbo's 9th game. He kicked 4 goals. When he was up and going he was a true talent.

Hope we send him off with dignity.

It's a really tough call. But i would like to see him be given another year. I think a melb forward line with him in it is better than without. He had an absolute shocker last week but he usually goes alright against scarlett. I believe he's still good enough to take the number one defender each week which would help our young forward line develop. That said exposing them to top defenders may be better for them. There are gonna be some big calls made the end of this year and it'll be interesting to see how the list turns out.

In other news. Scotty West as full time is good news!

Now that is good Positive News, i heard him on SEN a few weeks back say that he loved working at the Demons, Let's hope he gets to teach The Young Scully a few Tricks.

Saw Robbo on the Fox News Channel tonight doing his weekly spot.

He made it pretty clear he still feels he has plenty to offer. He said in the event that Melbourne don't want to continue with him next season, he will be looking for a spot on another AFL club's list.

I think however, Russ may end the way Yze did. Nominate for the Pre-Season draft, be overlooked and end up playing in the VFL next year.

Good luck Robbo.

""Bailey said respect and integrity would be shown towards Robertson and any other player when considering their fate.""

I just hope people on the Demonology/Demonland show the same amount of respect towards him. Say what you like about him he bleeds Red and Blue, and has been an excellent servant of the club. If this is the end of his career at the Dees than so be it, but personally i'd be happy to give him a one year contract at reduced pay, his presence in the forward line takes one of (if not the best) defenders away from the younger players.

No disrespect to Robbo but....

"we should of traded him to the bulldogs when he had some trade value"

I can see nothing wrong with this observation. would have made sense to me.Ahhh Hindsight !! hehehe

Still, what is...is

I can see nothing wrong with this observation. would have made sense to me.Ahhh Hindsight !! hehehe

Still, what is...is

It's a rubbish observation. You could make the same statement about almost any player who has passed his prime, or reached a peak in trade value. I've read countless posts on exactly the same topic with White and Yze -- "should have traded them at the end of XYZ season", when in reality, at the time it's almost impossible to gauge when a player is at his peak trading value. There are just so many variables that drive it.

It's pretty rare for clubs to get the timing right for trades, especially for older players. It's why we hit gold with the Travis Johnstone trade. The timing was perfect. Imagine what the Lions would get if they tried to trade him now?

Out of all the senior blokes (macca, Whelan, Wheatley) on the cusp of ending it, i recon i would give Robbo the one year contract.

Cause he does take away the best defender from the VERY young forward line we will have next year, on any given day he can go crazy and nab 4-6 goals, and ofcourse he can do nothing but take the best defender, thats been Robbo for a while now and i still love the bugger!

I think one year contract is due seeing he missed so much last year cause of the freak injury, done enough in some games this year to deserve it.

It's pretty rare for clubs to get the timing right for trades, especially for older players. It's why we hit gold with the Travis Johnstone trade. The timing was perfect. Imagine what the Lions would get if they tried to trade him now?

A set of steak knives....

It's a rubbish observation. You could make the same statement about almost any player who has passed his prime, or reached a peak in trade value. I've read countless posts on exactly the same topic with White and Yze -- "should have traded them at the end of XYZ season", when in reality, at the time it's almost impossible to gauge when a player is at his peak trading value. There are just so many variables that drive it.

chill my friend.

The actualitywas that there was a chance to trade him. He was onverge of going. we kept him and I for one dont think we particularly got top value for that decision. Many at that time thought it was a good chance to get value for a player who even then was fading when compared to his previous best.

Your idea that its easy to make a passe obsevation is itself a rubish comment I suggest.

Many made a judgement call at the time on Robbo, and we make it again now. I think we were right to have put t on the table then as we are now observing in retrospection about its posible value had we done it.

Yes very easy to talk in circles about this and that about various players. Some are talking of a specific. Not too hard to distinguish really !!

I've loved watching Robbo over the years, but his time is up

This is our last year to really stock up on new players, and we can't afford to go into next season with two key forwards who won't be part of our team once we start making finals.

Newton has a year left on his contract - and there is still a slight chance he might make it.

I've loved watching Robbo over the years, but his time is up

This is our last year to really stock up on new players, and we can't afford to go into next season with two key forwards who won't be part of our team once we start making finals.

Newton has a year left on his contract - and there is still a slight chance he might make it.

I think this is exactly where Bailey is taking us, i.e to get us ready for a diiferent tact on the shape of teh team. He, Bailey , I feel is just prempting the specualtion by indicating to both us , club followers and Robbo himslef that the end is nigh so to speak. Taking the heat out of it.

Last night on Fox Sports News, Robbo said he dearly loves the club and wants to play on, acknowledged he was 30 but still persists that he has planty to offer. He also wanted people to know that he has come back from an achilles injury that prevented him from a pre-season. He's only now starting to feel great. would love to play on, is excited with the quality of players learning the ropes at Melbourne. Thinks that he can provide good service for another couple of years. Said if Melbourne preferred youth and wanted him to move on - he could understand that, yet would play on at another club if need be.

He understands for the remainder of games this year, he would happily stand aside for blooding young players to help the club decide on things come the end of year.

On the tanking issue, he see's if the footy department want to try players in different positions and do anything to find the right mix in order to win games whether it be for the remainder of this year or next year & beyond - he doesn't necessarily see it as tanking he see's it as finding the best list to go forward. He think's Bailey & Co. are doing whats right for the club and for the team moving forward.

Well,hes perfectly entitled to present his case. The club in all likely hood will make way for 6 newbies, both onlist and rookie. Someone has to go in order for that to happen. Reality suggest probably two rookies are for it and then 4 current seniors to go. Possibly Russell may get a stay of executionas it were simply by weight of numbers and that of those on such a list he probably has the better CV to warrant staying. He can play 3rd Forward reasaonably well and with Watts and Jurrah next year might be a wild card if oppositions dont give him reasonable respect.

I think the worry for Robbo is that its quite easy to argue one way or the other as to his "required" status.Will depend totaly on the thoughts of the Football Dept as to the shape of things to come

Robbo's future my come down to how many games we win this year. If we win less then 5 he is gone if we win more than 5 he will stay. The reasoning behind that is if we get a priority pick we will have to delist 6 players, if we don't 5, I'm assuming that Spencer will get promoted and we may look at Hughes or Valenti as well. I reckon McNamara will be offered a rookie spot at the end of the year so that will make way for one of Hughes/Valenti.

He have to give credit to Robbo, on current stats G Lyon has played 1 more game and kicked 7 more goals then Robbo, and Robbo has played in a key role since 2002, for a bloke that should have been a HFF he has acheived great things at our club and when is finishes be it this year or next he will be the MFC third highest goal kicker.

Time to move on. We can't keep players like him when we could be filling his position with a prospective superstar. Let's not be like Richmond and hold on to players simply because they've had great careers. His time is up and he won't win a flag with us. It's time for him to move on. Hopefully he stays around the club in some way. A fantastic club man and truly worth to have worn the red and blue!

Edited by calabreseboy