Russell Robertson

Roost It

Absolutely but you are missing one thing.

His time at the club will be as long as Bailey requires it to be. Regardless of his accountability (which Bailey will press him on), Robbo will be in the team whilst he serves a valuable role and there is nothing any of us can do about it - this is something we have to accept. A hard reality to face but a reality none the less. We can point out his lack of accountability and where he needs to improve but surely we can do it with an ounce of respect.

Will have to agree to disagree on that point. How can you justify one players accountability or lack of yet hold the rest of the list to the same standard... weakens the team and what the coach is trying to do with the club as a whole. We do not have to accept anything, Baiuls has to accept it and I really doubt he will accept it, he plays it one way and if you're not on for the ride I doubt you will be around.

How am I doing it without respect? I love seeing robbo play but he is not showing respect for his team if he does things outside of what everyone else is doing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads that denigrate him as a player without appreciating the circumstances in which he plays and classify him as a "selfish" footballer based on one game are a disgrace.

It's not one game 1858... it is a continual pattern over the years andif i recall correctly it is something Robbo himself has raised it as something he needed to imropve on maybe 4 preseasons ago and was quite proud of the fact he thought he had. He has regressed in my opinion.

Think we have both had a say and got something out of it but not going to change the thoughts of others so no point in keeping on with it.

Cheers mate

Will have to agree to disagree on that point. How can you justify one players accountability or lack of yet hold the rest of the list to the same standard... weakens the team and what the coach is trying to do with the club as a whole. We do not have to accept anything, Baiuls has to accept it and I really doubt he will accept it, he plays it one way and if you're not on for the ride I doubt you will be around.

How am I doing it without respect? I love seeing robbo play but he is not showing respect for his team if he does things outside of what everyone else is doing.

I'm not trying to and I doubt Bailey would either.

You and I aren't really at odds at all. The crux of my point is that whilst Bailey (not us) wants to keep Robbo in the team we will have to accept both his pros and cons. Where Robbo is at it is unlikely that he will drastically improve in his accountability to match many of the other players. As I keep saying he should improve within his own limitations and that is the best we can ask. Bailey will ultimately decide if the whole product so to speak is acceptable and if he doesn't then I certainly won't argue.

In principle everything you have said about team rules and what is good for one player is good for another I agree with and I hope Robbo improves in this area. Bailey's decision on whether to drop or play Robbo is hinged against what he does do for us in the context of our forward line and how much he can personally improve this year.

My point about expressing respectful opinion was not aimed at you but many of the posts I read prior to my initial post.

Cheers also, I don't have anything against any posters on here and I agree with most of Rhino's view points on the game and MFC.

Once again you distort the game style of a player with one game.

Here are a couple of quotes to correct the ledger....

His efforts on Sunday are the same as other days. Just that this was one of the most embarrasing ones.

Overall, I think Robbo's rise as an AFL footballer from rookie is a great one and to achieve what he has achieved over that time should hold him in good stead in retirement. It is a pity that such a record is blighted by a number of self orientated antics that have not put the team first over the course of that career.

You yourself condoned "selfish" football in the context of Ablett yet when it comes to Robbo you either are biased or are using a different definition of the term "selfish" as best convenient.

I said I would cut Ablett some slack for the reasons given. Re-read the post.I dont condone it. Ablett's alleged acts are not on a par with Robbo. You can make a reasonable point on this site without have to make thoughtless assertions like that.

I am a realist and I know that Robbo has his limitations and will improve mildly, this is not desirable but is the reality - do you get it Rhino?

At 30 after a series of injuries, Robbo is a shadow of the player that played so well a couple of years ago. But the game has changed dramatically since that time. Robbo has not. And the speed of the game makes his lack of accountability even more a problem than it was before. He needs to make every opportunity to assist the team to be a winner be it a mark, goal handpass or a 1%. Its what makes his action on Sunday so extraordinary. And the motives behind it are common to some of Robbo's indulgences at the cost of the team over the years.

Robbo has never been a big chaser and he is only getting older in a foreign forward line so drastic improvement is a pipe-dream.

Its not a matter of improvement so much as its a matter of effort at each and every contest. The same that you would reasonably expect of every player. Robbo will never be a great tackler or quick but I expect him to be blowing hard when his opponent has the ball And the foreign forward line is just one factor that should highlight to 13 year veteran that he needs to do more. All player have limitations of varying degrees. Robbo has his...fine. But he needs to show effort and commitment as a player and as a team leader to combat these. He is a wonderful lead and a good set shot at goal. He needs to maximise his strengths and not get exposed for his weaknesses.

FWIW, I hope he does improve but I think he is too long in the tooth to do it. If this is his last year it would be good to cap it off in style. I hope he does for all concerned. He has the incentive to do it now.

Firstly it was error and I had corrected it prior to your post.

Secondly, I was not referring to you or anyone specific.

Thirdly, I thought you would have had the good grace to delete the quote and your response when it was changed before you posted

Rhino, I saw the post and replied to it without knowledge that you had pulled it - you will have to take my word for that and understand my post was at length. Please refrain on asserting whether I display grace or lack there of based on assumption. I'll edit the post now.

I said I would cut Ablett some slack for the reasons given. Re-read the post.I dont condone it. Ablett's alleged acts are not on a par with Robbo. You can make a reasonable point on this site without have to make thoughtless assertions like that.

I understand that and I did not take you out of context but there is also a similar arguement for Robbo as well given he is our most potent forward atm and in his twilight as a player.

At 30 after a series of injuries, Robbo is a shadow of the player that played so well a couple of years ago. But the game has changed dramatically since that time. Robbo has not. And the speed of the game makes his lack of accountability even more a problem than it was before. He needs to make every opportunity to assist the team to be a winner be it a mark, goal handpass or a 1%. Its what makes his action on Sunday so extraordinary. And the motives behind it are common to some of Robbo's indulgences at the cost of the team over the years.

Absolutely spot on and this is where perspective comes into this. Robbo is a known quantity for his individual style of play and it is critical that he does his best. He didn't do his best on Sunday and that was extremely dissapointing but what I am trying to say is that even if he did it would probably be inadequate as far as forward pressure goes. Robbo is not a 2009 forward but we are playing him - this is where we are at as a club and this is what we have to accept. Competitiveness is critical in current footy and the job Robbo has is even harder than ever. For a 30 year old playing above his height who has seen the game go up a notch (whilst out) he deserves a little leeway given he is carrying a bigger load (notwithstanding his poor effort) than many others. Lets hope he can just lift his 1 %ers and use his head better. I have no problem with a forward taking opportunistic liberties if they are playing percentages or common sense. Robbo simply made a bad decision in this case. His effort is a seperate issue which he can work on.

Its not a matter of improvement so much as its a matter of effort at each and every contest. The same that you would reasonably expect of every player. Robbo will never be a great tackler or quick but I expect him to be blowing hard when his opponent has the ball And the foreign forward line is just one factor that should highlight to 13 year veteran that he needs to do more. All player have limitations of varying degrees. Robbo has his...fine. But he needs to show effort and commitment as a player and as a team leader to combat these. He is a wonderful lead and a good set shot at goal. He needs to maximise his strengths and not get exposed for his weaknesses.

Yes I agree, in that last game he did not put in and that effort was below his own standards - he would know that too I reckon.

FWIW, I hope he does improve but I think he is too long in the tooth to do it. If this is his last year it would be good to cap it off in style. I hope he does for all concerned. He has the incentive to do it now.

I agree but I appreciate the role he is playing for us and it is this point where to an extent I am prepared to take the good with the bad as long as he tries harder than he did on Sunday.

How could we get rid of Robertson? He loves the club, absolutely bleeds for it.

& why wouldn't he? Nowhere else is he going to find a vehicle to showcase his showpony lairising antics.

Few clubs would put up with it and even fewer clubs would put up with it from a player of his modest output.

Fevola might be a prize clown, but his results shade Robbo's by a generous margin.

Russell Robertson was just on fox sports news dressed in full kit. Said he was embarrassed re his game on sunday when he unnecessarily played on. Felt like digging a hole. Said every person he has spoken to since game has mentioned it. He cant wait for saturday night vs StKilda.

What an epic thread! I just read it for the first time from start to finish. Lots of good points brought up by both RR and 1858.

After reading the entire thread, my brain is completely fried, so to keep it simple in response i'll say i agree with the majority of what 1858 has been saying, however RR does make some very strong and valid points. But really the whole debate seems to be just going around in circles.

Think i may need to lie down now... -_-

Leave Robbo alone in his few games he has played this year he has kicked 11 goals in a side that has a bad forward line and the delivery into the forward line is crap. He is a legend and has a few more years left in him. Once we have a better forward structure he will be even better. Just remember Robo is not a Neitz he is NOT a full forward.

Looks like Dean Bailey has stamped his authority on this team in a big way, Great move, should of been done by Daniher before Robertson thought it ok to behave like a galah.

Leave Robbo alone in his few games he has played this year he has kicked 11 goals in a side that has a bad forward line and the delivery into the forward line is crap. He is a legend and has a few more years left in him. Once we have a better forward structure he will be even better. Just remember Robo is not a Neitz he is NOT a full forward.

yeah tried reasoning too ;)

some people just head-hunt for the sake of it IMO..

Not one person has questioned what Robbo is capable of - it is his attitude and effort that are in question.

I challenge you to go to a game and watch him for a while when he is without the ball.

You'll be heartbroken by his efforts.

I am in no way, not for one second, suggesting disagreement with comments on 2nd efforts / etc. Nor forgiving the shot on defender.

With that in mind - I checked Robbos comeback stats (vs career). Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

It actually says to me Robbo will come back with a vengence and finish (whenever) on a real high.

Also, btw, frees for down 6% ..

Not one person has questioned what Robbo is capable of - it is his attitude and effort that are in question.

I challenge you to go to a game and watch him for a while when he is without the ball.

You'll be heartbroken by his efforts.

Yeah but has robbo ever been that good a chaser? we've known that for years! he's not quick out of the forward-line and his pressure could be improved. That's not a secret.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe he more than makes up for it with all the other efforts his made for the MFC!

I am in no way, not for one second, suggesting disagreement with comments on 2nd efforts / etc. Nor forgiving the shot on defender.

With that in mind - I checked Robbos comeback stats (vs career). Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

It actually says to me Robbo will come back with a vengence and finish (whenever) on a real high.

Also, btw, frees for down 6% ..

Sweet.

Whether its happens or not, you hope REAL supporters would look at it with this sort of positivity and respect for all that been done by that player! (Whoever the player is..)

Any player who would stupidly sacrifices the team's interests to be a show pony should suffer the same condemnation. The fact is that it happened to a 13 year veteran is inexplicable. Its part of the marshmallow culture that accepts such actions that has to change at MFC if it is going to be successful. .............

Agree with all of that Rhino .......... and the real positive to come out of this whole saga, is the strong indication (at the selection table) that the culture is changing ie. play for the team or you won't play. Fantastic to see! In my view its every bit as important as player talent, as we strive for the ultimate success.

"I'd be lying if I said (the mark) didn't have something to do with it (Robbo being dropped)" - Quote from Bailey on the footy show

Was it the mark or the fact he played on lairising/brain fade/selfish & stupid act? I thought the quote was in reference to the latter 45h, after Hutchy asked him the question as to why Robbo was dropped.

So now it's fact.

Really, it's been plain on the nose of ya face since he was dragged. Everyone knows it, some just can't come to terms with admitting it. Even the ones whom bandy their supposed IQ's around.

At the end of the day, just remember we all follow the same team. With a team comes rules. If they don't follow team rules, they must be pulled into line. Regardless if they kick 2.3.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it would be a reference to him playing on, but anyway

Exactly. Poor ol' Hightower and others.. again seeing only what they wanna see

HT - 4 and a HALF THOUSAND POSTS IN LESS THAN A YEAR?? Says it all mate.. you obviously know best.. about everything..

Hey, If someone basically called you a drooling zombie, wouldn't you stick up for yourself?

Yeah but has robbo ever been that good a chaser? we've known that for years! he's not quick out of the forward-line and his pressure could be improved. That's not a secret.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I believe he more than makes up for it with all the other efforts his made for the MFC!

He's not dead, mate. Just dropped.

Your sig, in very large letters, espouses the ease and importance of having a 'good attitude,' and yet the player with the worst attitude in our team on the weekend is the one you are now defending.

He'll be back, and his teammates will realise that they should learn from his passion and not his antics.

Everybody wins...

BTW, as my earlier post this week outlines - I didn't think he should be dropped, but I realise I was giving him latitude I wouldn't give anyone else on the list, and that is pathetic. He's 30, played 200 games, is a MFC star, and he gets to act the way he does?

Under Bailey, I guess he doesn't. This Bailey fella will suprise you... Good on him.

I think it's important to keep in perspective why Robbo has been dropped, and while Bailey has intimated that the mark and play on maybe part of the reason it's not the whole reason. Watching the Foxtel telecast it was clear that Robbo wasn't chasing or putting any kind of forward pressure on when we didn't have the ball. He didn't lead at the ball when we did have it, he was criticised by James Hird for failing to present as a viable target. His preoccupation was to double back so that he could jump on someone's shoulders. He has slipped back into bad habits.

When Bailey came to the club he had to change his ways, he actually showed something about dogs and tricks, he was chasing and tackling and working to advantage, his injury was just terrible luck. He's been dropped on form, that form isn't so much about kicking goals, but failing to do the team oriented things - well that's my take on it anyway.