Team selection vs Bulldogs

Einstein

Valenti is a good example of how hard it is for recruiters to pick talent playing at a lower grade of football

Valenti has got to get better on BOTH sides of his body by hand and foot to make a regular spot in an AFL side IMO

Many times players like him run out of time and drop out of the system

Hoping this isnt the case with Valenti

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference between how a player moves on match day and how he pulls up after the game. Plenty of times players have played injured and look fine on match day but pull up sore days later.

What other explaination have you got? He isn't playing for Melbourne. He isn't playing for Casey.

So he has been excluded why?

And people saying leaving Bennell out is a sign we are tanking, get real.

morton was rested last year, bennel is only 18,19 tops, very slender , dont read too much in to it

morton was rested last year, bennel is only 18,19 tops, very slender , dont read too much in to it

He is a month off 19. And yeah, he is very slight and the step up from WAFL to AFL is immense. So yeah, good chance to rest him.

Whelan, Valenti and Cheney were probably Casey's best 3 players in their last outing, and have been rightfully rewarded. And obviously the selectors have considered the strengths of the opposition, and selected the team accordingly. All 3 inclusions are positives IMO.

And so much for the nuffies on the "delistings" thread who believe that at this early stage of the season we should be selecting the team with "list management" as a consideration. Clearly the football dept. don't share your view, and have selected players based on form and the structure of the opposition.

I am and have been a big fan of wheels for a long time.

How ever I find his inclusion this week a little supprising, has his form with casey warrented the selection? Like I said I'm a big fan but understand he is not apart of our side in 3yrs time when we are hopefully pushing for a flag. Might have thought Mcnamara may have squeezed in for his 1st after a reported good game last out vs coburg?

I am and have been a big fan of wheels for a long time.

How ever I find his inclusion this week a little supprising, has his form with casey warrented the selection? Like I said I'm a big fan but understand he is not apart of our side in 3yrs time when we are hopefully pushing for a flag. Might have thought Mcnamara may have squeezed in for his 1st after a reported good game last out vs coburg?

You never know. As crazy as it sounds maybe dean bailey is trying to win the match? Bringing in experience for experience.

Valenti for Bennell is the only surprise at all out of the three. Whelan in particular was always likely to come back in with Rivers out to provide some leadership in a very inexperienced backline.

I thought they would rest Bennell last week. They didn't and he was very good, but it may have been the fact the game was in WA and he is a Bunbury boy that tipped the scale for his inclusion. For a kid built like he is, there was always going to have to be a rest period.

As for Valenti, I doubt there is much more he can prove at VFL level. The opportunity is there because of the LTIs and a decision has to be made at the end of the year as to whether he stays or goes. Reward for performance in my opinion. I don't have Mr Bizkit's confidence he will make it, but good luck to him.

We are tanking because we bring in 2 defensive players with good skills and a ball magnet. Way to lose the game Bailey how dare you bring in a back line player that until injuries set in was one of our best players, hard, our best tackler and a very reliable kick. A young defender that had a great first game and has good VFL form and a midfielder that has been best player at Casey.

Great to see Valenti get his go!

He is easily in our best 22. Thats my opinion anyway! The next Sam Mitchell.

You must be joking? Here's a list of 22 players and tell me if he's in this list? And keep in mind I've left out players like Bate, Bell, Blease, Cheney, Dunn, Jamar, Jurrah, Maric, Meesen, Strauss, Sylvia, Wheatley, Whelan and Spencer.

Bartram, Clint

Bennell, Jamie

Bruce, Cameron

Davey, Aaron

Frawley, James

Garland, Colin

Green, Brad

Grimes, Jack

Johnson, Paul

Jones, Nathan

Martin, Stefan

McDonald, James

McLean, Brock

Miller, Brad

Moloney, Brent

Morton, Cale

Petterd, Ricky

Rivers, Jared

Robertson, Russell

Warnock, Matthew

Watts, Jack

Wonaeamirri, Austin

It is great to see Valenti get a go and I hope he does well... but I'd even rate an untried Strauss and Jurrah and an old Whelan and Wheatley ahead of him... plus many many more players.

It is great to see Valenti get a go and I hope he does well... but I'd even rate an untried Strauss and Jurrah and an old Whelan and Wheatley ahead of him... plus many many more players.

No offence to Valenti but he's currently only scraping in to a poor midfield. As our midfield stocks rise I just can't see how he's going to make it. Look at it this way. If you had the following to pick from would Valenti get in?

Mclean

Jones

Moloney

Davey

Morton

Grimes

Bartram

McDonald(probably retired at year's end)

Not to mention

Scully(fingers crossed)

Bennell

Blease

Strauss

No offence to Valenti but he's currently only scraping in to a poor midfield. As our midfield stocks rise I just can't see how he's going to make it. Look at it this way. If you had the following to pick from would Valenti get in?

Mclean

Jones

Moloney

Davey

Morton

Grimes

Bartram

McDonald(probably retired at year's end)

Not to mention

Scully(fingers crossed)

Bennell

Blease

Strauss

As I've said earlier, I'm yet to be convinced by Valenti, but good teams have 8-10 players in a game who are capable of running through the midfield.

Last week, Moloney had 10 out of 28 clearances for Melbourne. Out of the entire group you've listed, I count four (maybe 5) inside midfielders of which one is likely not to be here next year.

This is the perfect opportunity to see if he can translate his VFL form to AFL level.

It's great to see the passion on here we have for young Bennell. I love the kid. I had a perfect view of his goal on the run against Geelong, such poise, such balance.

Reading this I was reminded of draft day last year, November 29, when his name appeared and we all said... who? Bennell?

How quickly things can change.

Whelan, Valenti and Cheney were probably Casey's best 3 players in their last outing, and have been rightfully rewarded. And obviously the selectors have considered the strengths of the opposition, and selected the team accordingly. All 3 inclusions are positives IMO.

And so much for the nuffies on the "delistings" thread who believe that at this early stage of the season we should be selecting the team with "list management" as a consideration. Clearly the football dept. don't share your view, and have selected players based on form and the structure of the opposition.

So Bennell wasn't in form?

So Bennell wasn't in form?

Young players get rested in their rookie season, regardless of whether the team is in contention for the finals or not. In Bennell's case, his exclusion is a "body management" issue, not "list management".

“His body is probably just starting to feel the pinch a little bit; he’s just been a little bit sore, too."

The old 'general soreness.'

Good thinking from the club. Wise management.

Look forward to seeing Jamie back next week.

What are people judging valenti on?

His barely got an afl chance and you cant say its cus of his form in the vfl cus his dominated week in week out at that level.

I was judging him on his games last season. I dunno about everyone else, but I just found his lack of pace hurt us in the middle and he seemed to get caught out by his slow decision making. Still, we'll have to see how he fronts up to a generally quick side, in the Doggies.