Colin, Colin, Colin...

Kiss of Death

Boneheaded person commits bonehead act. Stop press!

It's his own career he damages with crap like this, and so far he's in the 10-20 position on the list. It just opens up the door for someone whose professionalism doesn't stink.

I agree with Y_M's classic pic.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is'nt even in our best 22.

Leave him to play VFL all year and then delist him. Give someone else a go who can actually play the game!

Dissapointing for the clubs publicity! No loss to the team though.

He is a party boy who cant play footy! SMOKE HIM!

Someone may have taken a punt on all his potential that i have been reading about for the last 5 years.

Who would have taken a punt on his OP? We could not trade him then and if he is ordinary in his sixth year of AFL we wont be able to trade him in 12 months. Especially not with an off field record that matches a pedestrian on field record.

We gave up a decent pick to get a Meesen, and there have been some big spuds over time to go for high draft picks(Chris Tarrant springs to mind).

There's a shortage of ruckman in the AFL but there is no shortage of one paced overrated non performing ordinary footballing party boys.

He is in the CJ bracket. If someone wants him they will PSD him.

Sylvia as a player are known - lacks footy nous, overrated talent, 'just a player' - it's not earth shattering news.

If anything I'm impressed with the decisions our leadership group are making. Prior to the last 12 months he'd have got away with it.

Agree on that.

Colin Sylvia was having such a good pre-season too! What was he thinking?!

He still is, but it sounds like the playing group are moving further forward with their professionlism, Colin is obviously lagging behind them.

Their giving him the proverbial, 'shot over the bow', It's only one practice match suspension so not a Major, anti social indiscretion.

They're doing the right thing showing him the team's way.

Which clubs were chasing OP riddled players who had not done anything yet? :o

You would have got nothing for him then as you would now.

I think there was a bloke that Essendon picked up in the Trading period from Geelong, who was just beginning rehab from a knee reco. Could be wrong of course????!!!!

Sorry RR...........I forgot, you're the oracle and never wrong.

By the way, I think you meant to say, "you would have not got anything for him" rather than "nothing"

I think there was a bloke that Essendon picked up in the Trading period from Geelong, who was just beginning rehab from a knee reco. Could be wrong of course????!!!!

More than likely.

OP is a different condition with no clear path to recovery. Sylvia was a shot duck at that time with an unknown rehabilitation period. There is defined and clear path to recover from a knee reconstruction. However there is no doubt that there is a risk with Prismall. Its a different risk to Sylvia.

And Prismall had at least played some decent footy and held his own in one of the leading midfields before going down injured. And Sylvia has achieved what as a footballer at that time?? More importantly what has he achieved since???

Live and learn (There's another one for you Iv'a ;) )

It concerns me that we HAVE actually seen the best that COl can deliver..and posibly he knows this too and so creates his own cause-situation justifying an excuse to not perform to OUR expectations

Quite frankly im totally over him and the sooner he makes way for a real player with real resolve the better. He shows in fits and spurts without really ever stepping up.He should havedone so by now, mentally if not even on the field.

This may not sit well with Col-brigade andso be it.. Results speak... his arent too brilliant. There are many now on the list who can and will readily usurp his hold on a jumper.. cant wait !!

Pretty boy and always will be. Loves the night-life but is just a moron. And lied about it, which proves his guilt. Unless he is super this year, trade him and end it for him.

I want to be able to say this surprises me... but it doesn't. Let himself down here, and shouldn't have. Okay, it's not as bad as the spot Ricky Nixon is in (!!) but it's not good for our club. Wonder if the boys rate him as a person. I've seen Colin out... but not with other Melb players.

I'm on the verge of saying "Trade him"

And there it is. On March 12, the first "Trade Him" of the year. And only 22 rounds of footy left to go. I've made up my mind about Colin and am not changing it. Against a red-hot Essendon (fresh from 8 wins in a row) in the wet last year, with us around four points down half-way through the last quarter, Colin had a shot on goal that would have made the Sylvia-baggers wet. To put us in front, all he needed to do was kick a goal (albeit in the rain) that someone of his caliber would make 90% of the time. For some reason, I decided that whatever Colin did with this kick would decide whether I'd back him to the hilt (as I did with Brad Miller during last year's pre-season) or join the other wolves in the maul.

He made the kick. We lost the game (barely), but I gained a belief that Colin Sylvia would someday turn his game around and start to kick butt the way we all know he can. I still believe he will. If he can stay off the [censored], that is.

The unfortunate reality is that this does not come as much of a surprise.....

Is it disappointing? Of course (yet again), but I do like the way our leadership group has handled it.

We can only hope that this is it for him with this again (although that might be folly) and despite this small infraction he will put his best foot forward.

But who the hell knows with him at this point?!!!

How on earth could this be a 'Gary Ablett Jnr moment'?

In what way is it anything like his career to date?

I just don't see the correlation...

I was referring to when Harley took over as captain of Geelong and the new leadership group started to demand a more professional attitude from players like Mooney, Ablett and Steve Johnson.

I was not making a direct comparison between the playing styles of Ablett and Sylvia and I acknowledge that it would be wishful thinking in the extreme to expect that level of performance from Colin. Having said that, there are some similarities as Ablett was little more than a better than mediocre smallish forward for much of his career.

The point I'm trying to make is that I find the leadership groups' strict response to what sounds like a mild infringemnent by Sylvia to be encouraging. I hope that this is a sign of things to come and that under J. Mac's leadership our players continue to demand a high level of commitment and professionalism from themselves. It might be wishful thinking but it would be fantastic if such a climate elicited a positive on-field response, particularly from those players that are deemed by some to be underachievers.

And there it is. On March 12, the first "Trade Him" of the year. And only 22 rounds of footy left to go. I've made up my mind about Colin and am not changing it. Against a red-hot Essendon (fresh from 8 wins in a row) in the wet last year, with us around four points down half-way through the last quarter, Colin had a shot on goal that would have made the Sylvia-baggers wet. To put us in front, all he needed to do was kick a goal (albeit in the rain) that someone of his caliber would make 90% of the time. For some reason, I decided that whatever Colin did with this kick would decide whether I'd back him to the hilt (as I did with Brad Miller during last year's pre-season) or join the other wolves in the maul.

He made the kick. We lost the game (barely), but I gained a belief that Colin Sylvia would someday turn his game around and start to kick butt the way we all know he can. I still believe he will. If he can stay off the [censored], that is.

Im not saying "Trade him" Yet.... I'll wait till the end of the year.

The most concerning issue in all this is not the the late night but.... the lie.

Like i have said 3 times before on this site, 2009 is the year that "Col Baby" needs to step up. So this is not a good start is it. To all those who say Col has enormous Talent to burn....BRING IT ON.....

He does. :lol:

0w3azsg2mcg6m7u2kvj3fz2mdntz3ruezu1s.jpg

Awesome. Sums it up.

Well done to the leadership group led by J.Mac, swift decision and no further comment needed. The next one might well be "the" straw.....

A real disappointment this bloke. Shows a glimpse of something and goes and messes himself up.

Can't deliver on the field. Can't deliver off the field.

If I had as many problems with my working career as he has (be it his fault or not through OP) I would think about pulling my head in a being a good club man.

Its ironic that he is protected at the club by his injury (that is we cant trade him) and that he is currently better than a replacement would be.

I was referring to when Harley took over as captain of Geelong and the new leadership group started to demand a more professional attitude from players like Mooney, Ablett and Steve Johnson.

I was not making a direct comparison between the playing styles of Ablett and Sylvia and I acknowledge that it would be wishful thinking in the extreme to expect that level of performance from Colin. Having said that, there are some similarities as Ablett was little more than a better than mediocre smallish forward for much of his career.

The point I'm trying to make is that I find the leadership groups' strict response to what sounds like a mild infringemnent by Sylvia to be encouraging. I hope that this is a sign of things to come and that under J. Mac's leadership our players continue to demand a high level of commitment and professionalism from themselves. It might be wishful thinking but it would be fantastic if such a climate elicited a positive on-field response, particularly from those players that are deemed by some to be underachievers.

i sorta get where you're coming from then, but it'd be much more a 'steve johnson' moment.

Ablett's problem was never professionalism, it was more-so belief.

Im not saying "Trade him" Yet.... I'll wait till the end of the year.

Bingo, not even 1 week into the season and the trade him talk is starting. WHAT RUBBISH

The facts,

- His trade value before this incident was close to zero,

- Post incident this has not changed much (half of zero is still zero).

- To be trade potential he needs to have a really solid year (now both on and off field). If he does this he is probably more value to us.

lets see where he is at in rnd 20+ before jumping the guns!

I cant help thinking along the lines of leopards and spots...what walks lke aduck etc. This clown has had ample opportunity to repay the club of its patience and yet time and time again he seems more interested in a beer and a giggle. Thats fine by me... but just bugger off and let he footy to footballers. This is the AFL..not a suburban club where such things need to be tolerated.

I think its a shame.in many respects as there IS some talent..and it goes to waste. More the point how would you want to be an up and comer in the club only to see someone get chance after chance all while you are working diligently and in the clubs interest, yetnot geting acall up just in case ol Col decides to actually turn up and play. Id be mightily [censored] off !!

so much the sense of Deja Vu about all this

lets wait ?? Lets not !!

Bingo, not even 1 week into the season and the trade him talk is starting. WHAT RUBBISH

The facts,

- His trade value before this incident was close to zero,

- Post incident this has not changed much (half of zero is still zero).

- To be trade potential he needs to have a really solid year (now both on and off field). If he does this he is probably more value to us.

The biggest favour we could do Colin is not play him until he's in our best 22 in performance and application. Not even close currently.

Yes we would get nothing for Colin in a trade period. That is because you have to give something away to get something

And before anyone says it isn't even round 1, it's round 66 since the start of 2006. People have hardly been resting on their laurels with this one

And before anyone says it isn't even round 1, it's round 66 since the start of 2006. People have hardly been resting on their laurels with this one
could go back even further really.

Some plans and potentials just dont come to fruition..thats life. Intelligence is knowing when to cut and run.

He has before him the chance to make ammends. The likelyhood is despite the misgivings of many he will get that chance. How many more does he get ?

We sort of know what we get from Sylvia.. Id. like to see others get similar chances.

Col appears the thirsty type.. Id really prefer hungry ones in our team !!! ;)