2008 Player Review - #6 Matthew Bate

Demonland

6. Matthew Bate [192cm 90kg 24.05.87 - 48 games (15 in 2008), 40 goals (13 in 2008)] - a hamstring injury incurred in the final NAB Challenge match set back his start to the season. Bate finally came back in round seven and while he had an impact on some games, he generally lacked consistency throughout the year.

Bate remains something of an enigma as a player in that he has shown out both in the midfield and up forward with his size and running ability, strong marking and long kicking but he also suffers some bad lapses in form. He needs to work on this area and continue to improve on his best efforts and produce them more regularly if he is to become a top line player.

Seems to have been around for a while now, yet has just 48 games to his name. Though at 21 years of age, still has plenty to offer. His best is very good footy but he needs to become more consistent for his form wavers. Having been dropped for Round 22 hopefully jolts him into action over Pre-Season and sounds warning bells that he needs to work hard on his game and improve in many aspects. Look forward to him being a solid contributor in 2009.

From Melbournefc.com.au's player reviews:

After finishing third in the club's best-and-fairest in 2007, Bate battled a hamstring injury early in the season, missing the opening three matches. He resumed in round seven and remained in the side until round 21, but he was disappointingly dropped back to Sandringham for the final round. Still only 21, the talented forward looms as integral part of Melbourne's long-term plans, having signed on until the end of 2010.

For me Bate is summed up as

Talent and ability = YES

Consistency = :rolleyes:

is as long and wide as that really. Very Jeckyl and Hyde...damn frustrating !!

From Melbournefc.com.au's player reviews:

After finishing third in the club's best-and-fairest in 2007, Bate battled a hamstring injury early in the season, missing the opening three matches. He resumed in round seven and remained in the side until round 21, but he was disappointingly dropped back to Sandringham for the final round. Still only 21, the talented forward looms as integral part of Melbourne's long-term plans, having signed on until the end of 2010.

Dropping Bate and Dunn in round 22 will hopefully put a fire up their clacker to smash preseason and string some consistency. Get some Fire in the belly boys.

What I like about Bate...

He is strongly built

He is a long kick (by Dee standards!)

He has a good motor

He is faster than he looks

The downside has already been covered here... at times he looks ordinary (but he is not!)... This is the Mr Hyde side that the coach(s) need to assist with.

I don't think he has found the right slot yet. He may end up a dour defender... but there is something to like about those sweeping left foot goals from outside fifty!

A definate keep!

What I like about Bate...

He is strongly built

He is a long kick (by Dee standards!)

He has a good motor

He is faster than he looks

The downside has already been covered here... at times he looks ordinary (but he is not!)... This is the Mr Hyde side that the coach(s) need to assist with.

I don't think he has found the right slot yet. He may end up a dour defender... but there is something to like about those sweeping left foot goals from outside fifty!

A definate keep!

Would be my assessment as well, waynewussell, but I'd like to refer to an incident that made us happy at the Brisbane game at the G;

Can't remember now what qtr, but Bate came back to help our defenders, and courageously flew across Jonathan Brown's flightpath to punch the ball boundary side towards the pocket. The resulting crunch did not look too damaging, but Brown rose to his feet, groggily, 'eyes looking everywhere' for the next 5 minutes or so. It slowed Brown down enough to limit the damage he could do over the next qtr or so.

Bate may have played a fair role in us winning that game.

A keeper for mine for 2009.

...Brown rose to his feet, groggily, 'eyes looking everywhere' for the next 5 minutes or so. It slowed Brown down enough to limit the damage he could do over the next qtr or so...

interesting point, and not nesecarrily to do with bate. with the fall of favour of the classic legal hip and shoulder, there is less of this sort of thing going on. i still think that cleaning a player up, legally, when an oppertunity presents itself, especially a key play maker, is a great option. im not saying knock heads in or do anything illegal, but it seems to be lost on the current game what a good crunch can do to a persons confidence over a short period of time. if someone crunch franklin he will be shaken for the next quarter or so, enough to get a lead on the hawks this finals series...

RE bate however, using his body (which is big and should be used) is not something we have seen enough of so far.

i think bate falls to the same problem as a lot of mfc players atm, if we had the key players around them, they would be stars. we need a genuine KPF, and a genuine star mid and we wpould have the jones and the buckleys looking great, we would have the bates and the wonnas looking even more fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

In my mind 2008 was a big disappointment from a very talented and strong player on whom we were relying on to provide CONSISTENT target and drive from half forward.

Why?? Who knows??

He needs to fulfil his potential in 2009 and he will be a star ie top 20 AFL player.

Bate is making me extremely nervous. He still looks to me like he might go either way -- another wasted first rounder, or an elite player. If he can bridge the gulf between his best and worst (preferrably towards the "best" end) I'll be very happy.

He's one I'm pinning more hope on than others though.

Bate is making me extremely nervous. He still looks to me like he might go either way -- another wasted first rounder, or an elite player. If he can bridge the gulf between his best and worst (preferrably towards the "best" end) I'll be very happy.

He's one I'm pinning more hope on than others though.

Bater is intelligent and has a heap of mental strength.

In time, I expect he'll become an elite player through his professional attitude and determination.

This year was a hard one for him but with a full preseason he'll bounce back better in every way.

He loves the club and strongly desires a premiership.

His best game of the year was against the Hawks when he floated around the half forward line and had stints in the middle. Picked up something like 28 possies.

which makes a lot of sense. he is not a KPP and he is not a full time midfielder. but he is a dangerous match up because he is versatile - if he moves the opposition will need to change the player on him.

IF other players can hold down the key forward posts, he will be a very dangerous 3rd tall up forward. IF other players can hold down the key midfield roles, he will be very dangerous when he swoops in there. but unforunately, imo he is not going to be a player who is good enough to hold down either of those spots consistantly. he could be a superstar, but will initially need some other standing around him.