HELL'S HOLIDAY

Demonland

HELL'S HOLIDAY by Whispering Jack

Hell took a holiday and the Melbourne Football Club put on a better face both on and off the field on the long weekend.

The club's 150th Anniversary Heroes function on Saturday night was quite brilliant and the team's performance on Monday was more than just competitive against the old enemy in Collingwood which has been in full flight recently with an aggregate winning margin of 186 points against the two most recent premiership teams.

The day also produced an announcement from President Paul Gardner that he would stand down at the club's next board meeting and all this is happening with announcements pending on the club's tenure of its new training bases at both the old Olympic Park precinct and at Casey Fields and of the proposed new alliance with the Casey Scorpions. That's all politics and stuff for another day.

Those who are critical of the young Demon side for seemingly needing the inspiration of a special event like the David Neitz retirement match or the Queens Birthday blockbuster should think again. As I have maintained for most of this year, the club is in transition in many different ways. On the field it has a young team that has lost countless years of experience in a short space of time and always translates into inconsistency of performance - from week to week and from within the games themselves.

What's important for Melbourne is that it continues to gain something every week and for a noticeble improvement to be discerned in its overall performance over time. I think it's safe to say however, that the nasty comparisons comparisons being made in some circles with the dying Fitzroy Football Club are somewhat exaggerated and more than a little mischievous.

The Demons certainly came out breathing fire in front of an attendance of 79,337 (in AFL adjusted terms*) and surprised Collingwood with its opening aggression, much of it supplied by solid midfielder Brent Moloney supported by Brock McLean and Nathan Jones whose strong play allowed the home side to take a five-point lead at the first break.

The Magpies had the edge in experience, pace and skill and exploited Melbourne's weak links but simply could not shake off the persistent Demons whose young defence was headed by AFL near novices Colin Garland and Matthew Warnock who are improving in leaps and bounds in their key defensive positions. They are adaptable and are fast enought to take on the opposition's smaller forwards and with an extra tall mobile defender to help out against the big guns this could become a very tight unit indeed.

At half time, Collingwood held a lead of seven points and halfway through the third quarter there was still only a kick in the game. However, the Demons started missing their shots for goal and the Pies were nailing theirs and as a result, Melbourne started falling off the pace. Brad Green uncharacteristically missed a couple of easy ones at vital stages and finally found the mark right on the three quarter time siren to reduce the margin to 23 points.

As often happens in these circumstances, Collingwood's goals in the second half of the third term were absolute blinders - one bounced through from 65 metres out, another was from an impossible angle and then there was the one kicked by Tarkyn Lockyer while lying on his back and being tackled by two defenders.

Melbourne never gave up at any time and was still in with a chance when it trailled by 15 points after a couple of misses from Adem Yze, who otherwise had one of his better games, and some rushed behinds. To underline their class, the Magpies pushed forward with a brilliant run from Dale Thomas that ended up in a goal to give the Pies a 21 point victory.

Melbourne's effort to finish with one scoring shot less than Collingwood was commendable in light of the recent results of both clubs but their respective efforts in front of goal highlighted the difference between the teams. The Demons really had no focal point in front of goal and when it had forward opportunities, some poor kicking for goal held back its chances of scoring a major upset. The tone was set early when youngster Cale Morton fluffed some shots. Normally a long accurate kick, the youngster allowed the occasion to get the better of him. He is learning.

However, the more experienced Colin Sylvia, Green and Yze all had no excuses and will have to do much better next time.

Promoted rookie Austin Wonaeamirri continues to be a revelation and is well on the way to becoming the club's leading goal kicker. He will kick more goals if the club can develop a tall full forward and not rely on him to contest his marks against opposition key defenders.

The Demons ultimately succumbed for the simple reason that Collingwood was the better team but if coach Dean Bailey can mould a semblance of a forward line in much the same way that he is building its defence and develop a midfield confident of itself enough to show the flair of some of their Magpie counterparts, then things will continue to get better and better.

Melbourne 4.1.25 7.4.46 11.9.75 13.17.95

Collingwood 3.2.20 8.5.53 15.8.98 17.14.116

Goals

Melbourne Sylvia Wonaeamirri 3 Green Yze 2 Dunn Jones McLean

Collingwood Davis Didak Lockyer H Shaw 2 Brown Cox Fraser Johnson Medhurst O'Brien SwanThomas Wellingham

Best

Melbourne McLean Jones Garland Warnock Dunn Yze Bruce

Collingwood Burns Didak Lockyer Maxwell O'Brien Bryan

Injuries

Melbourne Rivers (groin) Moloney (shoulder)

Replaced

Collingwood Rocca (ankle) Pendlebury (back) replaced in selected side by Cox Cook

Reports Nil

Umpires Vozzo Farmer Meredith

Official crowd 59,548 at the MCG

[AFL adjusted crowd * 79,337 (adjusted by the same percentage increase as the real crowd number at Carrara in a recent game was calculated)].

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELL'S HOLIDAY by Whispering Jack

Those who are critical of the young Demon side for seemingly needing the inspiration of a special event like the David Neitz retirement match or the Queens Birthday blockbuster should think again.

"Malthouse took aim at the Dees, who were inspired by Saturday's 150th anniversary dinner.

He said he was bemused that Melbourne had been able to play with such intensity yesterday, but rarely in most games this year." - MALTHOUSE QUESTIONS DEMON EFFORT

Mick Malthouse is a tool of a bloke suffering from small man syndrome in a very big way. Sorry but the Queens Birthday clash is here to stay!!!

Crikey, it's the first one they've won in five years, you'd think he'd be happy. Victim of their own success, pfft, you don't like it Mick, try playing interstate sometime.

Guest unstable punt

Like everyone at the filth, he has a massive ego because he thinks everyone wants to play his poxridden team all the time. They think they are the most important people on earth. Someone should bring them down a cog but its hard when Demetriou and his cronies suck up there arse all the time.

Crikey, it's the first one they've won in five years, you'd think he'd be happy. Victim of their own success, pfft, you don't like it Mick, try playing interstate sometime.

Exactly! He's coached the two most powerful clubs in the leage (the filth and WCE) over the past 15 years or so, which means he has become accustomed to coaching in front of large crowds. He should try coaching a struggling team in front of 20,000 or less. I'm pretty sure Dean Laidley, Dean Bailey and Rodney Eade would happily take a season involving only 4 matches interstate and 18 matches in Melbourne in front of 40,000 or more.

Exactly! He's coached the two most powerful clubs in the leage (the filth and WCE) over the past 15 years or so, which means he has become accustomed to coaching in front of large crowds. He should try coaching a struggling team in front of 20,000 or less. I'm pretty sure Dean Laidley, Dean Bailey and Rodney Eade would happily take a season involving only 4 matches interstate and 18 matches in Melbourne in front of 40,000 or more.

I think on the one hand he makes a point that the MFC is too volatile, in that it will fire up for the QB clash and not provide the same passion the week after or from week to week. And that is perhaps the biggest indictment on our club. On the other hand, he should mind his own bloody business and let the MFC speak for the MFC. He is almost suggesting that he is bitter because we didn't play like a 16th placed team - and in that sense, he can get stuffed. Would he be happier if we didn't fire up on the weekend we celebrate our history?

I think on the one hand he makes a point that the MFC is too volatile, in that it will fire up for the QB clash and not provide the same passion the week after or from week to week. And that is perhaps the biggest indictment on our club. On the other hand, he should mind his own bloody business and let the MFC speak for the MFC. He is almost suggesting that he is bitter because we didn't play like a 16th placed team - and in that sense, he can get stuffed. Would he be happier if we didn't fire up on the weekend we celebrate our history?

Yeah, he's right about our inability to fire up week in week out. Last night on Footy Classified he spoke for a while about motivation, and was basically hinting that he thinks Melbourne players need some source of external motivation in order to play well. He mentioned that Davey was talking about QB 2 weeks ago, whilst we still had yet to play St. Kilda. On the one hand, he's right because we need to focus each week on the team we're playing and concentrate on being motivated enough to win. On the other hand, he coaches Collingwood, where each week's a blockbuster. Melbourne players are entitled to look forward to QB because it's the biggest crowd we're gonna get this year and with the 150th celebrations this year it is a big match.

Malthouse is indeed a tool. He does have a point to a degree, however what about the Fremantle and Hawthorn games? Second biggest comeback in AFL history I believe! Geez he does come off with a very strange personality.

Pind**kisitis?

Yeah, he's right about our inability to fire up week in week out. Last night on Footy Classified he spoke for a while about motivation, and was basically hinting that he thinks Melbourne players need some source of external motivation in order to play well. He mentioned that Davey was talking about QB 2 weeks ago, whilst we still had yet to play St. Kilda. On the one hand, he's right because we need to focus each week on the team we're playing and concentrate on being motivated enough to win. On the other hand, he coaches Collingwood, where each week's a blockbuster. Melbourne players are entitled to look forward to QB because it's the biggest crowd we're gonna get this year and with the 150th celebrations this year it is a big match.

Correct Titan. However when you are top 4 or there abouts then your is and should be hunted every week. Its a little two faced from Mick (and the not the first time). Hell, is complaining they are playing on the MCG too often???? Perish the thought!

"I'll consider my thoughts about what I put to the club about this game" - Malthouse

This comment is unbelievable, I have been known to defend Malthouse from time to time but now all I see is an arrogant whinger who brings the game down. Instead of lauding the efforts of a young struggling team, he complains that we tried too hard and that in the future he may consider taking the game away from us as if it were his to take (which is clearly what he was getting at).

"I'll consider my thoughts about what I put to the club about this game" - Malthouse

This comment is unbelievable, I have been known to defend Malthouse from time to time but now all I see is an arrogant whinger who brings the game down. Instead of lauding the efforts of a young struggling team, he complains that we tried too hard and that in the future he may consider taking the game away from us as if it were his to take (which is clearly what he was getting at).

He is Coach of an AFL club and should be expected to do what he thinks is best for his Club. I would expect Bailey to put such considerations to the MFC Board in similar circumstances if he had reservations about any game.

i thought he had a good point that we need to be able to get up most weeks and not just for the big games. he then conceded that his team got up for the biggy against geelong but wernt as good today. hypocrite.

however, i think what he failed to realise is that the rivalry between these two clubs is much bigger and older than any other in footy.

"It is different - it's a judgmental day, I will certainly be judging players on their capacity to play before a big crowd and the occasion," he said on Wednesday.

is a quote from malthouse before the anzac day match...that sort of suggests he thinks certain games are different.

i think we have been slightly misquoted however. i think the game is always a big one, in the same vein the anzac day match is, because of the crowd and the stage etc. however in the context of our current season, this match means a lot more, simply because of a) how much we hate collingwood, and b ) the 150 heros dinner sat night and c) we wont be playing finals

In his defence he said it was an observation and not just about Melbourne, he also said (well i took it this way) he thinks collingwood play too many big games through out the year.

Is he worried that due to that they find it harder to get up for finals and such?

In his defence he said it was an observation and not just about Melbourne, he also said (well i took it this way) he thinks collingwood play too many big games through out the year.

Is he worried that due to that they find it harder to get up for finals and such?

well that would be hypocritical as well because he also said what made WC such a good football club was because of all the hard stuff they had had to do over the years re travelling etc. collingwood get to play in big matches, that should prepare them for the finals...

Perhaps they should give up Anzac Day too, as Essendon always pump themselves up to beat the whinging pack of ferals that they are?

I can see his point about us only firing up when there's an emotional motivation, but seriously the rest of his comments are pure arrogant tripe. Let them travel interstate 6 times a year, play home games at Telstra Dome, and play 15 or so of their games on a Sunday (and have half of them awful twilight start times) and we'll see how he feels then about Queens Birthday....

Grant Thomas also had a crack at Melbourne after our Hawthorn game. What he and Malthouse seemed to have forgotten is that young teams (both young in age and how long the footy team and coaching group have been together) will be inconsistent. Both of those guys have coached struggling teams before and had their good weeks and their bad weeks. Consistency in effort comes with experince and trust in each other. Once they have that, the motivation for effort will come from within, not form external sources like Kennett, Neitz, and the 150 year celebrations.

A couple of points -

Firstly, I think Malthouse's swipe at our inconsistency is valid. Compare how we've played vs Hawthorn - Neitz - in round nine (?) and Collingwood on the weekend with the rest of our games. DB has commented on the same thing, commenting that we can't rely on external factors in order to be 'inspired'.

Secondly, it's in Malthouse's best interests to have this game - and any similar 'blockbuster' that he feels doesn't work in his favour - canned, if we and others do indeed 'get up' for these type of 'blockbuster' matches versus Collingwood. His comments that Collingwood get little out of the QB clash seem valid, considering our recent track record versus the Pies on QB, and the fact that we always take the gate.

A couple of points -

Firstly, I think Malthouse's swipe at our inconsistency is valid. Compare how we've played vs Hawthorn - Neitz - in round nine (?) and Collingwood on the weekend with the rest of our games. DB has commented on the same thing, commenting that we can't rely on external factors in order to be 'inspired'.

Secondly, it's in Malthouse's best interests to have this game - and any similar 'blockbuster' that he feels doesn't work in his favour - canned, if we and others do indeed 'get up' for these type of 'blockbuster' matches versus Collingwood. His comments that Collingwood get little out of the QB clash seem valid, considering our recent track record versus the Pies on QB, and the fact that we always take the gate.

Mick Malthouse should concentrate on his own team, instead of making comments about other clubs. He is the master of diversion.

And if he really doesn't want to be part of blockbuster games because his precious players can't handle the pressure, he can [censored] off and take his idiot president with him. We'll have blockbusters every week, please!

Besides, Queens Birthday match or not, the Pies will have to play us regardless. At least this way they get more exposure for their sponsors. To suggest that our recent track record against them can only be attributed to the occasion, is silly. When you smash a team 4 years in a row, it's because you are better than them, not because 65,000 people are watching.

I bet he'd be the first to cry to the media if the AFL ever dared to give his club more than 4 interstate games a season, because "we're Collingwood and we're oh so worthy of being a part of every blockbuster match" :rolleyes: