• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

HELL'S HOLIDAY

Demonland

He is Coach of an AFL club and should be expected to do what he thinks is best for his Club. I would expect Bailey to put such considerations to the MFC Board in similar circumstances if he had reservations about any game.

No he is a coach of AFL club and therefore should be expected to have a certain level of sportsmanship, a level that is taught to every footballer from the earliest of ages. He is not somehow exempt from paying his respects to his opposition simply because he thinks he is. I doubt DB would do the same and if he did I would be very dissapointed. It is nothing short of pathetic and an embarassment to the game that he goes on like this.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet he'd be the first to cry to the media if the AFL ever dared to give his club more than 4 interstate games a season, because "we're Collingwood and we're oh so worthy of being a part of every blockbuster match" :rolleyes:

I'm sure he'd try and spruik whatever he felt was best for his team, like he's doing now.

I think Sheedy was the master of diversion, but now that Kevin has retired, perhaps you're right.

AWWW Micky Coaching Collingwood & West Coast over the past 15 or so years with all that $$ & top line facilities is soo taxing on you.

How dare you patronize my club- I respected you till yesterday. Now you can get stuffed. FILTH. The Demons will get a Flag Against you Micky!!!!!

No he is a coach of AFL club and therefore should be expected to have a certain level of sportsmanship, a level that is taught to every footballer from the earliest of ages. He is not somehow exempt from paying his respects to his opposition simply because he thinks he is. I doubt DB would do the same and if he did I would be very dissapointed. It is nothing short of pathetic and an embarassment to the game that he goes on like this.

Why? I reckon every single thing he said was valid. It's a question most of us have been asking all year. Why can we get up for the big games and hold our own against quality sides / big stage (Geelong, Hawthorn #2 and now Collingwood) but get comprehensively smashed by middle of the road sides like Adelaide and St. Kilda? It's extremely frustrating.

I reckon the people having a dip at Malthouse for his comments need to take their green glasses off and read them again. He's a coach trying to look after his side. Nothing he said was invalid or unfair.

I think on the one hand he makes a point that the MFC is too volatile, in that it will fire up for the QB clash and not provide the same passion the week after or from week to week. And that is perhaps the biggest indictment on our club. On the other hand, he should mind his own bloody business and let the MFC speak for the MFC. He is almost suggesting that he is bitter because we didn't play like a 16th placed team - and in that sense, he can get stuffed. Would he be happier if we didn't fire up on the weekend we celebrate our history?

This is exactly what I was about to write!

Why? I reckon every single thing he said was valid. It's a question most of us have been asking all year. Why can we get up for the big games and hold our own against quality sides / big stage (Geelong, Hawthorn #2 and now Collingwood) but get comprehensively smashed by middle of the road sides like Adelaide and St. Kilda? It's extremely frustrating.

I reckon the people having a dip at Malthouse for his comments need to take their green glasses off and read them again. He's a coach trying to look after his side. Nothing he said was invalid or unfair.

He's not our coach and I don't give a shite what he thinks about our club. It is not up to him to raise questions. He should be happy he got away with a win and talk about this club, not ours.

I am not suggesting that what he said about us is wrong, but seriously having a sook because your team plays too many blockbusters? And he was also insinuating that the only reason we beat them on Queens Birthday is because we prepare ourselves for this game and it's our biggest match of the year. Well guess what Malthouse, we beat you because we're better than you. Get over it.

As I said, he's diverting the attention away from the fact that after two massive victories, his side could barely beat a team sitting pretty on the bottom of the ladder with 1 win... and he has the nerves to accuse us of being mentally soft!

What were we supposed to lie down and lose by 20 goals!!! was that the script. Melbourne Collingwood games have always been Full on, Back in the 70's when this club was trully bad, we always fired up against Collingwood-very rare. With Northey as coach we started to beat them fairly Regulairly. Sorry Mick that your Pampered club got a bit of a fright and is now a little "Puffed out"

i Have to confess I thought his stancew and comments were the height of egalitarianism.

Oh poor Collingwood..all big matches..oh woe for us etc etc.

Malthouse..youre a pompus toe rag. Id be worrying about why despite al lteh facilites ( and thensome ) YOU cant coach a team to a flag ?? Why not Mick ?? Or is it the fault of all the other teams, they have the wrong motivations ?

There is a skerrrick of truth in that we do seem focused on the wrong thiongs, hopefully this will change as a new culture permeates but in the meantime Mr Malthouse, Id worry about your own abilities and backyard before instructing others !!

Still ... keep in mind Mickey Mouse Malthouse is a Master of the deflection !!

Our two best games this year have come after out-side motivation. Unless we can play well without needing a retirement, big occassion or event to get us up, I'm going to totally agree with Malthouse. Even though he is an arrogant little man.

it is interesting, because it demonstrates the the difference between 1st and 16th in this comp isnt nessecarily the skill of the teams (although there are obvious differences) it is which team stands up and believe in themselves, and who will back themselves to win.

in other words did you come to play? often the rest will take care of itself

Or is he jst a tad irked that thsi lowly outfit nearly took his chocolates again ??? Thas where I think the matter lays.

He doesnt rate us..eyt we nearly upset his day ...AGAIN !!

Sorry..how many years at Collingwood Mickey ?? How many Cups ?? yeah.. I thoght so !! :lol:

Here is a solution for Mick:

Play every home game on a Sunday at the MCG or preferably TD because the MCG is our gound

Play a minimum of 6 games a year on non-Victorian grounds

Play Geelong at Skilled

Play Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Hawthorn & Melbourne no more than once per season

That should prevent his players from big game burnout and at the same time reduce the Pies bottom line by about 30%.

FFS Mick get off your high horse and think about the big picture, the main objective of the AFL is not to play to every whim of the CFC to the delight of your feral band of toothless, dim-witted, in-bred, mullet haired, moccassin wearing followers.

[Deleted]

You're right Nasher, Malthouse was just stating the obvious in regards to our inability to play well each week. However, it's not his job to say this. But that's kinda beside the point. I guess the more pressing issue is that Malthouse is complaining about having 'too many blockbusters'. I wonder what he would have said if they'd lost again, whether he'd blame the loss on the fact that Collingwood didn't get up for the game like we did. He should think for a moment as to whether he'd prefer to play to large crowds week in week out in the high-drawing timeslots or play to much smaller crowds at smaller venues in less fancy timeslots.

You're right Nasher, Malthouse was just stating the obvious in regards to our inability to play well each week. However, it's not his job to say this. But that's kinda beside the point. I guess the more pressing issue is that Malthouse is complaining about having 'too many blockbusters'. I wonder what he would have said if they'd lost again, whether he'd blame the loss on the fact that Collingwood didn't get up for the game like we did. He should think for a moment as to whether he'd prefer to play to large crowds week in week out in the high-drawing timeslots or play to much smaller crowds at smaller venues in less fancy timeslots.

What.. T-U youre not suggesting MM is a king of spin ?? surely not :lol:

I noticed Gary Lyon questioned Malthouse quite extensively about the comments on Footy Classified last night. To me, Lyon didn't seem to be too happy about it.

Lyon asked him about the Collingwood-Geelong game and Malthouse more or less admitted that they were more switched on for that game given the Cats were a top 2 team. He then went onto admit that the Pies were "flat" yesterday. Lyon rightfully jumped on that assertion saying that it is "contradictory" to have a go at the Dees for getting up for some games, and performing so poorly in others.

Good on you Gary. The guy's a tool - a totally baseless argument, no substance whatsoever.

If he wanted to get across that he was annoyed that we always step up against his team there are many ways of doing so without taking a cheap swipe at us. Instead he chose the far more arrogant approach of threatening to take the game off the calender.

I also don't appreciate our up and down form, but it isn't his place to say. There is only one thing worse than a sore loser, it's a sore winner!!!

Official crowd 59,548 at the MCG

[AFL adjusted crowd * 79,337 (adjusted by the same percentage increase as the real crowd number at Carrara in a recent game was calculated)].

In other words, we well and truly met Demetriou's expectations.

Well done WJ! :lol:

Somewhart hypocritical and petulant to suggest that players. teams dont need motivation ?? Often its the ability to eek out a performance from player/team that makes teh quality of a good coach.. Ooh theres that word Coach.

Surely his job is motivation ??

Im sorry Mick you cant have your cake and eat it. Sports. indeed much of life is not about talent..but about motivation.

Even by your own words you give a 'tickle" ..is this not motivating ??

Again MM is a master of smoke and mirrors. Lucky for me I am wearing my anti-[censored] glasses !!

I fail to see how MM is a master of spin (at least in this case), in what possible way does it benefit himself, his team or the competition to say what he has said.

If he is serious about wanting to be out of the QB clash, he is probably better off saying nothing about it to the media.

While you all burn effigies of Malthouse, your anger has missed the real sting in the tail for MFC. The Mike Willessee of AFL football, Mr Eddie McGuire was quoted in the Age today as saying that he did not want to change the QBW away from MFC he just wants to reverse the order of who plays there to

"Collingwood vs Melbourne"

He feels the Pies kindness toward MFC has gone on too long. So we will still be there on QBW in the McGuire view of the future world, we just dont get a brass bean from it!

While you all burn effigies of Malthouse, your anger has missed the real sting in the tail for MFC. The Mike Willessee of AFL football, Mr Eddie McGuire was quoted in the Age today as saying that he did not want to change the QBW away from MFC he just wants to reverse the order of who plays there to

"Collingwood vs Melbourne"

He feels the Pies kindness toward MFC has gone on too long. So we will still be there on QBW in the McGuire view of the future world, we just dont get a brass bean from it!

No doubt he'd be happy to reverse the order of interstate trips from Melbourne based clubs. Don't mind if the Demons go interstate, say 3 times a year for the next couple of seasons while the Pies travel six or seven times a year and maybe play a game in Darwin in late March. And maybe a few Sunday games as well.