Valenti Promoted

youami

Great news for Valenti, I hope he makes the most of this opportunity that he's been given.

This is also hilarious considering the way that some people were carrying on about his abilities in another thread.

great news for valents... hope he does well, and i'm pretty sure he will...

i can't see him not playing, as he wouldn't have been promoted if he was only going to be an emergency...

interesting how long he gets a run for, with both he and aussie promoted rookies... shane might only get a game or two before making way for jack grimes back onto the list...

to be honest I think Ben Holland will retire, to allow him to hold his spot on the senior list...

They'd ahve to play him, don't you think. It would be cruel and unusual to elevate him and then not bother. So that makes selection interesting. I wonder if we have an injury...or if we are just going to try to overwhelm them with players at the stoppages and that is where valenti has real value?

fresh off the afl website. all the best shane. do it for us who cant run fast.

Awesome news about my boy Valenti. Jones and Brock will be glad not having to deal with a tagger this week. :rolleyes:

I wonder if we have an injury...or if we are just going to try to overwhelm them with players at the stoppages and that is where valenti has real value?

in our first couple of games one of the few areas we were reasonable was in the clearances... however this is an area where we've deteriorated over the last month or so... bringing in shane will hopefully help is improve in this area, as he is very good at getting clearances around the stoppage...

to be honest I think Ben Holland will retire, to allow him to hold his spot on the senior list...

As far as I know, mid season retirements don't allow for rookies to have a permanent promotion... Unless we can somehow get Holland "injured" for the rest of the season and place him on the LTI list.

Yeah, this is great news but more than a bit weird...

Unless I'm mistaken, He has until one of Grimes or Neitz get back. They are both due back within the next 4-6 weeks...

So that means the club paid the $15,000 odd dollars just to get him in the side ONLY for the next few weeks...

Now, I'm all for getting Valenti some game time while we still can... it shows that the club are serious about him playing games in the red and blue in the coming years... But it's the outley of money I'm worried about. There have been situations in the past where players were promoted and NOT played immediately. If they don't play him every second they can, before Neitz or Grimes (or both) come back... Then what's the point?

I remember Chris Conolley saying that we wouldn't promote him until he was going to go straight into the the team so you'd think he'll at the very least be an emergancy, smart move IMO given our situation with money and why promote someone unless the are ready.

Congrats Valenti, i wish you all the best in the big league!

I thought he should have been picked up 2 years ago.

He is the player I watch when Ive been at Sandy.

I am no expert (lucky we have a few on this board) but Im tipping all those negative know it alls will be damning him with faint praise when he picks up 20+ possessions within in his first few games. Most will ask why has it taken so long.

While no Nathan Jones (and isnt it interesting that he gets a gig after Jones is tagged) I can see him not looking back if he is given a bit of a go in the middle.

Good luck Shane!

Good luck to Shane, fantastic news.

Both Jack and Neita don't have to come off the LTI until they are ready to play and from what I hear Jack is going to be given plenty of time to do his own mid-year pre-season and the big fella is less than 50-50 to return unfortunately.

His promotion means there are selection dilemmas. My guess is a few injured guys are a while off getting back, and perhaps a few of our fit guys are not fit enough to play this week.

Vals promotion means he is the mix.

It hurts to say this, but I have a feeling that Neitz won't be coming back....

Maybe to travel around the MCG in a car.....

:(

Yep. Nobody wants to say it...

Well... Nobody with credibility want to say it...

But I think you may be right.

The few times I've seen Sandy play(on TV), Valenti has been in the best(usually ahead of several other MFC listed players). Conventional wisdom has labelled him as "too slow" for the AFL.

I remember this tag being given to Austin Wonaeamirri. I remember hearing that VFL young player of the year, Aaron Davey wasn't up to AFL standard, since he"couldn't take a mark over his head"He didn't stand out enough with his pace to be selected, except in the rookie draft.

Paul Johnson also was a write-off for the same reason. Matthew Egan also won VFL young player of the year, yet went right through the draft and had to be re-rookied by Geelong, or he'd be in footy wilderness(if un-injured).

I contend that good VFL form is a good pointer to AFL potential. Being not fast enough in VFL is less significant in AFL where most players are over 188cm, and smaller players run rings around them.

GOOD LUCK SHANE!!!

Completely up to the player, no point using generalizations at it achieves nothing. Ben Beams, case in point. Valenti will make it, IMO, if he continues to display the intensity that he always has, and applies this to the as well as on the field