Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 6

Demonland

14 hours ago, dl4e said:

I would have Fitsch, Hannan, tmac and Garlett from the interchange with garlett being on his last song. I see people saying Spargo to play so that 4 maybe not. Harmes lucky to be playing and I would like to know why Lewis is automatically selected as well as Vince.

11 hours ago, D4Life said:

Your right. Team looks slow with Vince & Lewis in the starting 18. Vince, ANB & Harmes must be on notice.

My interchange would be TMac, Spargo, Frischte & Garlett. All know how to kick a goal, and we have plenty of players who can go in the backline if needed.

I don't think our interchange will consist of four forwards. It's usually the seventh defender (small defender) and one small forward and two mids (who sometimes go forward). Having said that, I have no idea who will play this week. As much as I think Harmes is lucky, I suspect he's in because he gives 100% effort 100% of the time.

ANB should be in the side. He's much better than he's given credit for as a link man (and also gives 100% effort 100% of the time.) Yes, he can improve his disposal (a lot) but he's an integral part of the style of play.

Stretch is somewhat unlucky. He was awful against Richmond, and if it were up to me I would drop him, too. He's unlucky because most players promoted from the VFL are given two games to see if they are any good before they are dropped. I think his future looks grim.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Someone punch him in the nose ??

Truck or the dog ?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I don't think our interchange will consist of four forwards. It's usually the seventh defender (small defender) and one small forward and two mids (who sometimes go forward). Having said that, I have no idea who will play this week. As much as I think Harmes is lucky, I suspect he's in because he gives 100% effort 100% of the time.

ANB should be in the side. He's much better than he's given credit for as a link man (and also gives 100% effort 100% of the time.) Yes, he can improve his disposal (a lot) but he's an integral part of the style of play.

Stretch is somewhat unlucky. He was awful against Richmond, and if it were up to me I would drop him, too. He's unlucky because most players promoted from the VFL are given two games to see if they are any good before they are dropped. I think his future looks grim.

Definitely agree re Stretch.

Did little Tuesday but wasn't alone. Got caught out often and fumbled but wasn't alone.

Not well supported by those around him, no shepherding evidenced.

Could do with a few weeks to adjust to pace of the game.

But we need to see more team oriented play from all the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Agree with that unfortunately.  Was a fan and thought he was ready to take another step but something has happened.  It is becoming a habit with him.

The Squibler ?

• Like 2

I look forward to us winning this game - it will be nice to see some sanity return to this Forum. While I’m all for critical and constructive analysis of players and team performance, the slotting of players, coaches and the club (often irrespective of outcome or performance) generally is, quite frankly, pathetic at times. 

We are at the end of the day supporters of this great club. Imagine if one of our players jumped on here to have a read - whatever confidence they did have would be gone on page one of a post-game thread.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

What do you call what he did last year when Gawn went down?  I think most people acknowledge that he was pretty damn good most games.  Pehaps that's part of the problem being that he's just not quite good enough for his size and the position he plays compared to others we have that play the same position.  Asides from that, I think he was one our better players against Geelong and also competed hard and setup some good goals through good field kicking against the Lions in Rd 2, was then dropped but seems to have been in pretty good VFL form since.  As I have stated in another thread I thought there was also a case to get him into the side, just to get some fresh legs in to support Gawn and Hoges off a very short break - hope the fitness department have made the right call there.

I still think he is getting dudded over by Weid.  As much as I really want Weid to do well, he is really yet to have a break out game a senior level that is the equal of what Pedersen produces on a regular basis.  The Weid's best at senior level is about Pedo's worst or average game IMHO and the Weid seems to be the exception to the us selecting based on performance and not gifting games to high draft picks anymore mantra.  That said, now that the Weid has been picked in the senior team, I would also like to see him given a decient block of games there to help find his feet at the top level.

Also acknowledge that T Mac probably has the inside running on Pedo on this occation also.  Assuming T Mac does play, hope the selectors are making the right call here, because as much as I acknowledge T Mac as being an experienced and classy/capable A/B+ player in his position these days, it's a pretty big call to be stepping straight back in after not playing for the best part of 2 months (even then, off the back of an interrupted preseason) and produce at the highest level from the get go.  I really hope he does though, because at his best T Mac is a gun that we have sorely missed.

The angst over Pedo is multifaceted.

• He’s 31 so is essentially in his last year on the list
  • The Weed hasn’t come on as fast as we’d hoped for but we’re probably expecting too much
  • Our benchmark is Hogan so this clearly skews our views
  • When Pedo plays, he generally appears to impact the game more than Weed
  • Despite our belief we’re in the frame for finals (which is quickly fading) we need to get AFL games into the Weed - even though evidence suggests Pedo has had better games than him at VFL level.
  • With Tmac’s contract finishing this year and still not re-signed, the club is a bit hamstrung and has to get games into Weideman in case Tmac leaves the Club.

Lots of variables to consider, most of which us supporters would have little idea of. 

All we can do is judge on face value the decisions made by match committee.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

What do you call what he did last year when Gawn went down?  I think most people acknowledge that he was pretty damn good most games.  Pehaps that's part of the problem being that he's just not quite good enough for his size and the position he plays compared to others we have that play the same position.  Asides from that, I think he was one our better players against Geelong and also competed hard and setup some good goals through good field kicking against the Lions in Rd 2, was then dropped but seems to have been in pretty good VFL form since.  As I have stated in another thread I thought there was also a case to get him into the side, just to get some fresh legs in to support Gawn and Hoges off a very short break - hope the fitness department have made the right call there.

I still think he is getting dudded over by Weid.  As much as I really want Weid to do well, he is really yet to have a break out game a senior level that is the equal of what Pedersen produces on a regular basis.  The Weid's best at senior level is about Pedo's worst or average game IMHO and the Weid seems to be the exception to the us selecting based on performance and not gifting games to high draft picks anymore mantra.  That said, now that the Weid has been picked in the senior team, I would also like to see him given a decient block of games there to help find his feet at the top level.

Also acknowledge that T Mac probably has the inside running on Pedo on this occation also.  Assuming T Mac does play, hope the selectors are making the right call here, because as much as I acknowledge T Mac as being an experienced and classy/capable A/B+ player in his position these days, it's a pretty big call to be stepping straight back in after not playing for the best part of 2 months (even then, off the back of an interrupted preseason) and produce at the highest level from the get go.  I really hope he does though, because at his best T Mac is a gun that we have sorely missed.

Yes he stepped up when Gawn went down but in the bigger picture he hasn't performed consistently. Maybe thats because he hasn't been picked consistently but no-one can argue that he has. I think he has had plenty of chances and I am a fan.

BTW his form in the Geelong game wasn't great. Particularly his marking where I recall he dropped at least 3 or 4 that I would expect him to take.

9 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

As I said in another thread, against Geelong he took one good mark and got a free kick in the first quarter and then pretty much disappeared. Worse than that (and why I think he's been dropped) was that he didn't bring the ball to ground from contests and was outmarked on several occasions. Outmarked by half back flankers such as Tom Stewart and Kolo Jazz Knee. Against Brizzy he touched the ball 6 times but his four kicks seem to have made an impact on you.

The Weed hardly starred on Tuesday but I don't recall him being outmarked in contests and I believe that's one of the key requirements the FD have for that position.

Pedo has some good attributes - good hands, a willingness to put his body on the line and I think he is one of the better kicks at the club. I doubt anyone undersells Pedo's manful contributions last year but that was last year and it was playing as a ruckman. As a key forward he just doesn't deliver often enough, both week to week and within games

Edited by Go the Biff
sp
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Spargo should play, and a joke if he doesn’t. . Mostly slugs in the 7 in contenders. We desperately need more pace.

We could use an annoying boomer type. Too much to dream...

20 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Well....no change in the umpire department this week. The 3 umps from Tuesday are the same 3  for our game this weekend. Bubble wrap your tellies and remotes. 

All Melbourne supporters need one of these. Perspex screen 130cm by 130cm to isolate TV from flying object, fist or headbutt.. 

473E900A-4726-409C-91C8-DF479E21ADE5.jpeg

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Well....no change in the umpire department this week. The 3 umps from Tuesday are the same 3  for our game this weekend. Bubble wrap your tellies and remotes. 

Yep, the only reason we lost on Tuesday was because of the umpires. 

?

Edited by poita

21 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Yes he stepped up when Gawn went down but in the bigger picture he hasn't performed consistently. Maybe thats because he hasn't been picked consistently but no-one can argue that he has. I think he has had plenty of chances and I am a fan.

BTW his form in the Geelong game wasn't great. Particularly his marking where I recall he dropped at least 3 or 4 that I would expect him to take.

Most are fans of Pedo...at 31 yo he is at his own peak level of fitness and resilience, match to match. He is bigger than teams expect - particularly on the move and he splits packs regularly taking that ball to ground and stays on his feet to shepherd the crumbers. Quite often his marking hits a purple patch either in a pack or on the run/lead as a chestmark. He is one of our best shots at goal anywhere from 50 metres out. He's no Watts at that but he is very reliable. The crumbers stick around him for the advantage he regularly provides. Rotated from the bench he hits a game like a rollercoaster with fresh legs and intent. Seldom is he caught with the ball by opponents without applying usually decent handball to his teammates. Pedo is in my first 6 at selection, if uninjured. Essendon are going to knock the sheet out of us - physically - and both Pedo and Frosty are two of our better options if this proves to be the case. The 'druggies get away with murder with the umpires as a token of support for their aggressive intent. We must have Pedo - although it is now too late - and Frosty to counter brain-fazed Essendrug. Both have been playing the 'new-brand' for three years at least, and may start something that stimulants cannot overcome.

4 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Seeing it's been confirmed that he will play I suspect he'll probably play.

And it will be a joke if he doesn’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Most are fans of Pedo...at 31 yo he is at his own peak level of fitness and resilience, match to match. He is bigger than teams expect - particularly on the move and he splits packs regularly taking that ball to ground and stays on his feet to shepherd the crumbers. Quite often his marking hits a purple patch either in a pack or on the run/lead as a chestmark. He is one of our best shots at goal anywhere from 50 metres out. He's no Watts at that but he is very reliable. The crumbers stick around him for the advantage he regularly provides. Rotated from the bench he hits a game like a rollercoaster with fresh legs and intent. Seldom is he caught with the ball by opponents without applying usually decent handball to his teammates. Pedo is in my first 6 at selection, if uninjured. Essendon are going to knock the sheet out of us - physically - and both Pedo and Frosty are two of our better options if this proves to be the case. The 'druggies get away with murder with the umpires as a token of support for their aggressive intent. We must have Pedo - although it is now too late - and Frosty to counter brain-fazed Essendrug. Both have been playing the 'new-brand' for three years at least, and may start something that stimulants cannot overcome.

So, who are the other five? Of course, I'm really just fishing to uncover who you'd leave out in this rather hyperbolic statement.

As for Pedersen, anyone with a clue knows he's not an AFL quality key forward, which is why he keeps being left out.  

He's very serviceable in the pinch hit ruck role where he can follow the ball around the ground and play as a ruck rover, but obviously there's presently no role for that.

Weideman was good in his first game back after a long lay off.  He's bigger, he moved far better, which suggests his ankle issues are over, he was aggressive with his tackling (5), and he's very smart with his ball use.

It's a no brainer to play Weideman ahead of Pedersen.

I almost hope we lose on Sunday.  Some heads on Demonland could literally explode.  I'd kind of like to see that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, poita said:

Yep, the only reason we lost on Tuesday was because of the umpires. 

?

Yep, because that’s exactly what I said.

Since you bring it up though I hope they do improve on their non-decision making from last week. Maybe go read through all the posts on the Post Match and see how many umpire comments were made and quote them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

So, who are the other five? Of course, I'm really just fishing to uncover who you'd leave out in this rather hyperbolic statement.

Of those available for this week, you can do the bodmas of mathematica of omissions from my own preferred line-up that may add up to six, from the following:

B: Hibberd, OMac, Jetta

HB: Lever, Frost, Baker

? Tyson , Oliver, Hunt

HF: Fritsch, Pedersen, Hannan

F: Garlett, Hogan, Spargo

Foll: Gawn, Jones, Weideman

I/C: Melksham, Brayshaw, TMac, Salem

E: Casey's best ....

9 minutes ago, ProDee said:

As for Pedersen, anyone with a clue knows he's not an AFL quality key forward, which is why he keeps being left out.  

He's very serviceable in the pinch hit ruck role where he can follow the ball around the ground and play as a ruck rover, but obviously there's presently no role for that.

Weideman was good in his first game back after a long lay off.  He's bigger, he moved far better, which suggests his ankle issues are over, he was aggressive with his tackling (5), and he's very smart with his ball use.

It's a no brainer to play Weideman ahead of Pedersen.

I almost hope we lose on Sunday.  Some heads on Demonland could literally explode.  I'd kind of like to see that.

Krap.

Back at our home ground, where we hardly ever lose and no rain should see us lifting a notch or two. If we lose Goodwin can resign.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

12 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Seeing it's been confirmed he's playing I suspect he'll probably play.

Bit slow off the mark today, Pro?