Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL LIVE PASS OUTRAGE

John Crow Batty

3 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

We perfectly understand Foxtel is a business and is seeking to increase profit. No problems there. But there were two other parties in those contract negotiations, the AFL and Telstra. Telstra is also a business, but the AFL are supposed to represent the interests of the players, fans and the game itself. In the case of broadcasting via the app, they did not. They have limited the represented IT platforms, reduced the video quality, and absolutely stuffed up accessibility with the upgraded app. As far as apps goes, it looks good, but is too busy, too limited, and a lot of its basic functions are not working. 

No one on here expects a large company to be a benvolent society. But we do expect those people who are supposed to be representing our interets as fans (and it is our money that generates the game) to represent our interests. The current app simply fails at this. 

well said. Plus the fact that a business with an eye to the future and customer satisfaction does not reduce the quality of an established service and then hide behind the fact that it was announced (as if we spend all our time reading Fox/Telstra/AFL announcements) and in the small print.  A business like sthat deserves to be whinged about.

• Like 2

I have endured a live pass hassle as well. namely i have enabled it on my (samsung - android) phone. However i have been unable to enable it on my tablet or my PC. in the case of the PC it means i can't access replays (which i could last year). 

I have contacted telstra but their (off shore) call centre are clueless (not their faulkt) and have twice now refereed me back to a so called 24/7 contact. Which first puts you onto a 'crowd support' web page, where the telstra 'community' (ie customers) can help. I have not been able to speak to anyone direct who can help thus far.

Anyway a comment from Telstra on the crowd support page says that currently there is an issue with enabling live pass across multiple devices (despite the ads for live pass pumping up this aspect) and that it will be resolved before the start of the AFL season. So no replays for the time being. youtube is your friend there (though quality can be poor as is the case with the replay i watched of the doggies JLT game). 

A question for Samsung and/or android users. There is a cooment above that you can plug your phone into the tv via a HDMI adaptor. Can someone confirm that is the case and if it actually works? Also i assume the connection at the phone end is the same one that you plug the power cord into? 

Same question for chrome cast. Does it work?

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if someone has already said this:

a) yes, it's a [censored] disgrace

b) if you use chromecast from a phone (not a tablet), you can enlarge the stream without the corresponding 'black lines'. As long as you cast to a screen that isn't huge, the resolution looks fine. I use a 40 inch TV in my bedroom instead of the 70 in the living room and it looks fine.

Instructions on how to watch:

1 - buy a chromcast, install on tv (as I said, 40 inch works well). TV needs HDMI in and that's it. Wifi network also required for streaming.
2 - download the chromcast app (now called home)
3 - Run the app, set up to link with the chromecast you have purchased (Set up is easy over wifi)
4 - Select 'cast screen/audio' within the chromecast [home] app
5 - With the app still running, run the AFL Live App version 2017.massive.ripoff and start your video stream
6 - Squeal with delight as your phone is mirrored on your TV, audio and all.

Tips:
- use your phone for volume control first, then your TV if it's still too quiet. Otherwise you end up with your TV set to 998 and if you forget to change it you'll be in for a loud shock when you start casting.. er... 'other' internet content.
- plug your phone into a charger or it'll go flat by the time the game is done

Issues:
1 - the bigger your TV, the worse the stream looks. As I said, 40 inch looks fine. Any bigger and you get pixelation.
2 - audio can be a little behind at times. Worst I got was about a second, which is fine for footy.
3 - chromecast cannot correct for:
             - the AFL app deciding to swap which Foxtel channel it's streaming (seriously does happen occasionally)
             - slow wifi (a good router is a massive help)
             - AFL commentators

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Choke said:

Yep, can confirm, instructions above.

Did it last week with the bulldogs game. Zero issues.

You da bomb choke. Have been wondering if it is worth getting a chromecast. You just answered that (and my previous) question.

Another q. Do you use your chromecast much and if so what for?

1 hour ago, Choke said:

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if someone has already said this:

a) yes, it's a [censored] disgrace

b) if you use chromecast from a phone (not a tablet), you can enlarge the stream without the corresponding 'black lines'. As long as you cast to a screen that isn't huge, the resolution looks fine. I use a 40 inch TV in my bedroom instead of the 70 in the living room and it looks fine.

Instructions on how to watch:

1 - buy a chromcast, install on tv (as I said, 40 inch works well). TV needs HDMI in and that's it. Wifi network also required for streaming.
2 - download the chromcast app (now called home)
3 - Run the app, set up to link with the chromecast you have purchased (Set up is easy over wifi)
4 - Select 'cast screen/audio' within the chromecast [home] app
5 - With the app still running, run the AFL Live App version 2017.massive.ripoff and start your video stream
6 - Squeal with delight as your phone is mirrored on your TV, audio and all.

Tips:
- use your phone for volume control first, then your TV if it's still too quiet. Otherwise you end up with your TV set to 998 and if you forget to change it you'll be in for a loud shock when you start casting.. er... 'other' internet content.
- plug your phone into a charger or it'll go flat by the time the game is done

Issues:
1 - the bigger your TV, the worse the stream looks. As I said, 40 inch looks fine. Any bigger and you get pixelation.
2 - audio can be a little behind at times. Worst I got was about a second, which is fine for footy.
3 - chromecast cannot correct for:
             - the AFL app deciding to swap which Foxtel channel it's streaming (seriously does happen occasionally)
             - slow wifi (a good router is a massive help)
             - AFL commentators

Thanks.  That is great step by step advice.

Just one question:  what level of spec modem/router would you suggest to minimize buffering...seems to happen a lot when I watch live stuff on an internet connected device eg Smart TV or my pc. 

Cheers

On 19/02/2017 at 2:17 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Funny I do the reverse on those few occasions I want to watch the replay on the AFL site as it is blocked internationally ie. I set my vpn to Australia

Wonder if that will be blocked this year

It is, no free replays this year

23 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

When you signed up for auto renewal did the contract say they could chage the T&Cs?  If not complain to consumer affairs.

200 games @ $100 = 50c per game.  

Principles, trust and moral ethics don't appear to carry much weight with you. I hope you're not one of those suits that make big bucks with trickery and chicanery from average Joe's.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-afl-live-games-with-fullon-footy-pass-subscription/news-story/4a6f0c26cf6db9babd3c6d4acbd17156

Here you go for all you non foxtel peeps. Get the full on footy pass and you get foxtel sport package for the foxtel go

13 hours ago, america de cali said:

Principles, trust and moral ethics don't appear to carry much weight with you. I hope you're not one of those suits that make big bucks with trickery and chicanery from average Joe's.

The trickery and chicanery in this matter is users perverting the intention of the mobile deal to display the content at TV resolution, that's what has been stopped. Contracts exist to codify principles, trust and moral ethics and to avoid trickery and chicanery.  What does the contact you agreed to say?  If it says they can't change the T&Cs then you are entitled to a refund.  Do you actually want one though, that would mean you would need to buy Foxtel to see non FTA matches.  

22 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

The trickery and chicanery in this matter is users perverting the intention of the mobile deal to display the content at TV resolution, that's what has been stopped. Contracts exist to codify principles, trust and moral ethics and to avoid trickery and chicanery.  What does the contact you agreed to say?  If it says they can't change the T&Cs then you are entitled to a refund.  Do you actually want one though, that would mean you would need to buy Foxtel to see non FTA matches.  

Sorry I don't agree with that.  We were publicaly told we were to get a better and improved service which it clearly is not. That is where the bulk of the trickery and chicanery is mostly at. There is no way I will go back to Foxtel. I will only use the app to watch Melbourne games when there is no other access which is about 6 to 8 games a season. I made it a habit of watching quite a few neutral games throughout the season. Now I will be happy to find better things to do. 

Edited by america de cali

17 hours ago, binman said:

You da bomb choke. Have been wondering if it is worth getting a chromecast. You just answered that (and my previous) question.

Another q. Do you use your chromecast much and if so what for?

I use it every night, as I like to watch an episode of whatever TV show I'm into in bed before I go to sleep. Netflix has chromecast integration in the app and works seamlessly. YouTube works well also, there are some channels I occasionally watch.

My son at age 3 worked out how to use Netflix with chromecast. It's really that easy. You open netflix on your phone or tablet, push the cast button, wait until it goes blue. From there, just select your video and push play.

There's also a certain popular website I occasionally use whose videos detect an active chromecast unit on the network and will stream to the TV. Going to assume you can read between the lines there.

16 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thanks.  That is great step by step advice.

Just one question:  what level of spec modem/router would you suggest to minimize buffering...seems to happen a lot when I watch live stuff on an internet connected device eg Smart TV or my pc. 

Cheers

I have no buffering issues on any device for 2 reasons:

1 - Fibre to the home NBN

2 - Netgear Nighthawk Router http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx This is overkill for video streaming, but I wanted something fast as I game a lot (or used to) and will likely 4k stream in the future. TBH any dual band 802.11ac router will be ok, as long as it's placed well with little interference between the devices.

It's hard to tell if buffering is caused by a slow router or crummy internet. The easiest way to determine what's going on is to grab a big ethernet cable and plug your TV right into the router. If buffering still occurs, it's likely your internet. If it fixes the issue, upgrade the router to one with faster wireless (and check for interference in the line of sight between the TV and router).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jako13 said:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-afl-live-games-with-fullon-footy-pass-subscription/news-story/4a6f0c26cf6db9babd3c6d4acbd17156

Here you go for all you non foxtel peeps. Get the full on footy pass and you get foxtel sport package for the foxtel go

$520??

Hardly a saving from $660 p/a for foxtel with sports package.

2 hours ago, jako13 said:

You get "Footy Play" not "Fox Footy". Unless they just changed their policys (which i cant find any clear reference to) Fox Play is only availible for tablets/phones not on the Foxtel play app for the PC. That means that they are essentially taking the $89 2016 AFL Live pass added all these channels I didn't really want/need and are charging $520. Thats a roungly 580% price increase...

Edit:
Definitely still not available on PC
https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtelplay/how-it-works/pc-mac.html

Edited by ArtificialWisdom

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

Sorry I don't agree with that.  We were publicaly told we were to get a better and improved service which it clearly is not. That is where the bulk of the trickery and chicanery is mostly at. There is no way I will go back to Foxtel. I will only use the app to watch Melbourne games when there is no other access which is about 6 to 8 games a season. I made it a habit of watching quite a few neutral games throughout the season. Now I will be happy to find better things to do. 

You're unhappy but not unhappy enough to stand by your principles?

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

I'm happy to be a trickster and chicanerist (not sure what the word is here lol) given the pricing those who control this form of media have imposed.

They increase the size of the competition and reduce the amount of games on free to air - a compounding effect that means that I am less likely to see an MFC game on channel 7 than 10 years ago.

They demand that to be able to watch 2 hours of content per week on my TV, I must pay $520 per annum. They package up content I don't want to consume and call it a 'deal'. It's not a deal. I ONLY want MFC games and will not pay for the rest of the junk on Foxtel to get it.

The only legal alternative is the Telstra app, which is more affordable at $90 per annum. This is a price point I can accept, as it works out to $4 per game. It's so cheap over the course of the year that it's close enough to free. The drawback of course is that I can only watch it on a phone. And why is that? To protect Foxtel's exclusivity and enable the price gouging arrangement above to continue.

So I won't shed a tear for the poor AFL or Telstra when I use a third party application to enlarge the surface area of a stream I have legally paid for. Remember, the chromecast will not increase the resolution (ie quality) of the stream. I am still getting the same product. I have simply enlarged the image - the TV effectively becomes a fancy magnifying glass in that respect.

I could buy one of these, would it be a violation of ethics?

HTB127UxJXXXXXXfaXXXq6xXFXXXZ.jpg

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Choke said:

I'm happy to be a trickster and chicanerist (not sure what the word is here lol) given the pricing those who control this form of media have imposed.

They increase the size of the competition and reduce the amount of games on free to air - a compounding effect that means that I am less likely to see an MFC game on channel 7 than 10 years ago.

They demand that to be able to watch 2 hours of content per week on my TV, I must pay $520 per annum. They package up content I don't want to consume and call it a 'deal'. It's not a deal. I ONLY want MFC games and will not pay for the rest of the junk on Foxtel to get it.

The only legal alternative is the Telstra app, which is more affordable at $90 per annum. This is a price point I can accept, as it works out to $4 per game. It's so cheap over the course of the year that it's close enough to free. The drawback of course is that I can only watch it on a phone. And why is that? To protect Foxtel's exclusivity and enable the price gouging arrangement above to continue.

So I won't shed a tear for the poor AFL or Telstra when I use a third party application to enlarge the surface area of a stream I have legally paid for. Remember, the chromecast will not increase the resolution (ie quality) of the stream. I am still getting the same product. I have simply enlarged the image - the TV effectively becomes a fancy magnifying glass in that respect.

I could buy one of these, would it be a violation of ethics?

I have no problem with you innovating to game the system, but equally I have no problem with Foxtel trying to protect their massive investment.  I don't like the whinging.

• Like 2

The point made by Choke re the relative absence of free to air coverage is very valid. It remains a fact that the air time given to MFC on free to air in Victoria is minimal. I suspect we are one of if not the least featured Victorian club on FTA. Foxtel will never have the audience of FTA and as Netflix takes over, its audience will continue to decline. Sure it will pay big money for the AFL rights as it goes through its death throes (assuming it does not re-invent itself) but the MFC needs to ensure that we do not suffer as part of that process.

Delivery of coverage (read audiences) is vital to our sponsors and the well being of the MFC. An integral part of that audience is the increasing online audience who clearly demand a product far different than that which Foxtel is prepared to provide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TGR said:

Crownbet streams live AFL for free I think

Phone and tablet.

I think they require a minimum balance in your betting account along with some sort of activity in it to keep the subscription active.

I looked into it last year and I'm pretty sure that's what they told me.

On 20/02/2017 at 1:52 PM, binman said:

A question for Samsung and/or android users. There is a cooment above that you can plug your phone into the tv via a HDMI adaptor. Can someone confirm that is the case and if it actually works? Also i assume the connection at the phone end is the same one that you plug the power cord into? 

I think that was my comment? The connection at the phone end is Micro USB. USB-C has MHL support - actually it does (just not the Sony Xperia XZ, which I have) - here's one at JB https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/accessories/moshi/moshi-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter/961109/.

I bought this one at Officeworks - https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-universal-mhl-cable-comhlun015

I plugged the adaptor into my old Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Friday night and it worked fine for the Hawthorn/Geelong game.

Edited by Clintosaurus
  • Like 1