Delistings- Confirmed

issarab

I wonder how many of the remaining have sat up and noticed ?? Must have a couple of them gulping with anticipation !! lol.

How much better in 2008 I dont know, but we're going to be a differently "mindsetted" team :)

A few mind be feeling a bit ansy come trade week :)..hehehe

and about bloody time !!!!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very happy about this. Although I wasn't against giving Hayes another year to see if he has something but im ok with it.

Good to see Godders go. While he has been very serviceable. I have said for years, we cannot win a premiership with Godfrey in the team, said it about Godders, said about Nicho, towards the end about Ward. Can't have no skill in the AFL.

Totally agree with your sentiments regarding those delisted. Daniher had a fixation with keeping unskilled tryhards at the club. Add Luke Williams to the list.

However, I actually think that Ferguson has something to offer. Firstly, he was offered up for trade, then got injured the following season before he had the chance to redeem himself. Also, he's the only player I've heard Daniher outwardly criticise in the media. It was after the game where we beat the Cats at Skilled Stadium. Under a new coach, I think he can shine, because he has got ability.

However, I actually think that Ferguson has something to offer. Firstly, he was offered up for trade, then got injured the following season before he had the chance to redeem himself. Also, he's the only player I've heard Daniher outwardly criticise in the media. It was after the game where we beat the Cats at Skilled Stadium. Under a new coach, I think he can shine, because he has got ability.

When Ferguson is at his best he can be a good defender. He has been playing afl for 5-6 yrs now and is still as thin as a stick. If he as well as Bailey think he's got the capability of bulking up a lot then we should keep him as we have a lack of height in our defence. His Decision making is good, His kicking is below average, his Marking as good so IMO he can still improve tonnes but if he doesn't spend a full pre season in the gym than we may as well get rid of him.

I don't think we should put him up for trade as he would be worth peanuts. IMO let him spend a full pre season in the gym and play him as on their #1 or #2 biggest forward.

IMO let him spend a full pre season in the gym and play him as on their #1 or #2 biggest forward.

At 26, how much bigger is Ferg going to get and how would that make for his mediocre decision making, disposal and contested marking capacity?

I love his courage but that does not go enough distance to cover the other issues.

If he cant be traded he will be delisted IMO.

At 26, how much bigger is Ferg going to get and how would that make for his mediocre decision making, disposal and contested marking capacity?

I love his courage but that does not go enough distance to cover the other issues.

If he cant be traded he will be delisted IMO.

To right Rhino.

It is pretty much time up for Fergie.

Much like Godfrey and Ward, sadly for these guys, courage doesn't make it at AFL level.

I am very happy with these delistings. However, how many more players can we delist? As it stands we have dropped 6 senior players from the list. If we are to assume that Bode will be promoted permanently, then we have to use 5 picks in the drafts. That leaves us with picks 4, 21, 37, 53 and pick 3 in the pre-season draft. I can't see us delisting too many more players, as that will mean having to use picks very late in the draft.

We just finished 14th. Depth players are a luxury we cannot afford. We need to delist enough players to have a few speculative late picks, preferably spine players and ruckman. They might not make it but we know that players like Holland and Ferguson are not going to rise above being good ordinary footballers at best. Look at the Port list and their depth in developing key position players and ruckman compared to us.

One of Ferg's biggest problems is that he's a ball watcher. That means that he very naturally zones off players because he reads the ball very well. However it also means that his direct opponent can cut him up, especially one on one. And this has nothing to do with body strength either. The fact is that the opponents that beat him consistently are not the big strong forwards, but instead are the leading forwards.

That's a problem.

Surely we cannot keep all three of Ferguson, Holland and Warnock. At least one has to go.

I agree. I watched all the MFC players playing for Sandy on Saturday, with interest. For mine, Warnock confirmed my belief that he hasn't got the ability or awareness to play AFL. Keep Ferguson and Holland, delist Warnock.

If they delisted Godfrey, who has played nearly all year and had a reasonably productive season, Ferguson is absolutely gone.

We can only hope that someone is willing to offer a fourth round pick for him, and that we can use that pick on another Bartram.

If we can't, it's thank you and goodbye.

We cannot demand ruthlessness if we want to hold onto below- average depth players who have no scope for improvement.

Seriously, I can't beleive any of you would even think of keeping Ferguson. He's pretty much useless as an AFL footballer, even Danners said so when he was coach. He said something along the lines of " He's too slow to be a CHF and too weak to be a CHB". To me his only asset is his courage, the rest of his game is ridiculously flawed, he must go.

One of Ferg's biggest problems is that he's a ball watcher. That means that he very naturally zones off players because he reads the ball very well.

You're probably right AOB. I tend to appreciate players who take a risk, as opposed to those who don't, and still get beaten by their opponent.

How do you see Nathan Carroll?

Seriously, I can't beleive any of you would even think of keeping Ferguson. He's pretty much useless as an AFL footballer, even Danners said so when he was coach. He said something along the lines of " He's too slow to be a CHF and too weak to be a CHB". To me his only asset is his courage, the rest of his game is ridiculously flawed, he must go.

i thought the comment was too slow to play on the smalls and not strong enough to play on the talls...but much of a muchness...

the only reason i would keep him is too play the jard rivers role if rivers is injured. let him be a blal watcher. let him play loose and drift and zone. dont put him on a big CHF, dont play him on a leading FF...

you also need to put into perspective that you can not delist all. you need to look ahead a little and plan for 09 as well - hence we need to keep a few of these players so that there is turnover next year, rather than having a mass exodus/culling this year with delisting next year of at least 3 players.

i dont think this years draft is overly strong from what ive been told so there is no point us going out and getting a lot of late picks who could well end up being off the list in 2-3yrs and leaving us next year and in 09, struggling to cover if injuries or players dont come on as expected.

time will tell if we delist any more but at this stage i think they have done the right thing.

Swing the axe.

Warnock... simply has not shown enough at Sandy. He's rarely imposed himself on a game or showed the poise and footy brain needed to succeed at AFL level.

Ferg...thanks for trying your heart out. Not up to it.

Jamar...Jurassic Park around the ground. Has talent but too one-dimensional for an increasingly fast-paced game.

Dutchy...join your bro in retirement. Not part of our future but thanks for some sterling efforts.

Thanks Godders...That bork/ fake then bang her home from about 48 OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Aha, I was watching my montage today and couldn't help but chuckle when I saw that. Probably my favorite godders moment.

Post Script.

Thanks to Simon Godfrey for his heart and attitude to the Demons jumper he wore. He never gave less than his available talent. What you call a great club man. I, for one, salute him.

And Daniel Ward. More skill than Godders with his pace and ability to run with the pill off half-back but an inability to deliver and be accountable effectively cost him in the end.

Reminds me of the eighties, some good triers but never going to be part of a champion team.

It may of been said before but you can't delist to many more. IMO our depth is in our running players, we have Mclean, Bruce, TJ, Green, JMac, Jones, Sylvia, Bate, Dunn, Batram, Petterd, CJ, Buckley, Moloney, Davey, Bode and this draft from what I have read looks to be stronger in the midfield ranks, thtas half our list with midfielders, Godfrey had no spot neither Ward.

In regards to Warnock, Ferguson, Miller, Holland, Jamar, one of these will not be at the club next year. With the exception of Rivers and Neitz we have no high quality talls, we need to keep these average talls around and hope one of them can play some good footy next year. The more I look at our list the more I start to lean towards picking up Rance with pick 4, we need another defensive tall as a priority.

"Seriously, I can't beleive any of you would even think of keeping Ferguson."

Well, Madness,I ,for one, hope we keep Ferg. I think he's a good mark, a good spoiler, and uses the ball well out of defence. It's great knowing there are players prepared to put themselves in physical danger in defence in an effort to stop a forward advance. Rivers does it. Bizz did it. Carroll does it, and Ferg does it.

I admit, he's not fast, he's not young,and he's not great body-on-body. Perhaps his role is the loose tall in defence, like Danny Jacobs at the Hawks.

"Seriously, I can't beleive any of you would even think of keeping Ferguson."

Well, Madness,I ,for one, hope we keep Ferg. I think he's a good mark, a good spoiler, and uses the ball well out of defence. It's great knowing there are players prepared to put themselves in physical danger in defence in an effort to stop a forward advance. Rivers does it. Bizz did it. Carroll does it, and Ferg does it.

I admit, he's not fast, he's not young,and he's not great body-on-body. Perhaps his role is the loose tall in defence, like Danny Jacobs at the Hawks.

Jack,

Danny Jacobs is filling the spot so well for the Hawks he is in the 2nds. So Ferg has reached that standard.

Ferg's courage does not hide the shortcomings Axis of Bob so accurately described. Rivers does alot more than Ferg and better. He is gone

Danny Jacobs is filling the spot so well for the Hawks he is in the 2nds. So Ferg has reached that standard.

Exactly Rhino - good get that!

I believe Danny was part of the infamous Lachlan Veale trade... anyhoo... not surprisingly he doesn't fit into Clarko's new accountability regime down there in Hawk land.

I agree JJC that Fergs is brave... but, unfortunately he just isn't big enough and his decision making is questionable. There are some clubs making some desperate gurgling noises re trading for KPP (Bulldogs) so he maybe offered a lifeline somewhere.