To tank or not to tank

Jarka

To tank or not to tank  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hypothetical question.

It's round 22, Melbourne have won a total of four games so far this season and currently in 14th spot. We're on the same points as Carlton but ahead of them by percentage.

We play Carlton in our final game and if we beat them we lose our priority pick but we won't move into 13th because Fremantle has seven wins, however Carlton will receive a priority pick before anyone else (they only have 4 wins), leaving us with picks 4 and 20 (Carlton picks 1, 3 & 19, Richmond picks 2 & 18). But, if we lose we end up in 15th spot, we get a priority pick so we'll get picks 2, 18 and 20 (Richmond 1, 17 & 19, Carlton 3 and 21).

What do we do?

We smash them into oblivion

Who cares if the Blues get number 1 pick?

The draft is a raffle. They will take Kreuzer, and he could end up being a dud

We need a winning culture We have a lot of brilliant young players that already promise us future success, and they should learn to win

I want to win every game the rest of the season. Every time we win, it will mean we are getting a contributions from the likes of Sylvia, Bate, Jones, Mclean, Frawley, Newton etc...

WInning can only be a good thing

We smash them into oblivion

Who cares if the Blues get number 1 pick?

The draft is a raffle. They will take Kreuzer, and he could end up being a dud

We need a winning culture We have a lot of brilliant young players that already promise us future success, and they should learn to win

You actually stated something that interested me. Of the top five draft picks from 2000-2004 are the number 1 picks justify. Obviously its all opinion based. But it does back up your statement.

Josh Fraser - 151

Paul Hasleby- 160

Aaron Fiora-123

Matthew Pavlich -168

Leigh Brown-165

Nick Riewoldt 127

Justin Koschitzke-92

Alan Didak-112

Luke Livingston-46

Andrew McDougall-40

Luke Hodge- 103

Luke Ball -99

Chris Judd-128

Graham Polak -88

Xavier Clarke-90

Brendon Goddard- 90

Daniel Wells- 94

Jared Brennan -52

Tim Walsh- 1

Jarrad McVeigh-73

Brett Deledio-57

Jarryd Roughead- 49

Ryan Griffen-51

Richard Tambling 47

Lance Franklin-48

I think we need to develop a winning culture, i'm not saying that we pick our absolute best team, but we need to find a balance whereby we get plenty of experience into the young brigade but keep the established older players in there as well.

ATM i think we've got a good balance. But take Carlton for example, the plast 3 years they've played nothing but young kids, and yet they are still floundering at the bottom. I have a feeling that that's because without the experienced players to back them up on the field and take them aside and give them a whipping their development has been stunted. The time that Newts spends on the field this week with Neitz will be invaluable as he'll learn where to lead into space with you're the third target as opposed to the first or second target.

Without question I want to lose that match. It's a no brainer.

Just like I wanted to lose round 22 against Sydney in 2003. That loss delivered McLean.

Pick 2 and a priority pick versus a meaningless win and pick 3 ?

As I said, it's a no brainer.

Agree with you there Hannibal

Rd 22, you have nothing to play for, except 4 points that are meaningless. On the other hand, we could lose, ensuring Carlton don't get the priority pick, virtually giving us pick 2, and either Kreuzer or Cotchin to play for us next year. One blemish frowned upon is worth it, in order to have a better chance in the years to come.

We pick a team to develop for next year and just let nature takes it's course, if we win then that's good but it's no the main concern as per vote

BUT

IF it comes to the crunch in round 22, it would seem a travesty to allow Carlton to take the priority picks, yet again. Would have NO issues with the club i we were to suffer a "surprising loss"...

We pick a team to develop for next year and just let nature takes it's course, if we win then that's good but it's no the main concern as per vote

BUT

IF it comes to the crunch in round 22, it would seem a travesty to allow Carlton to take the priority picks, yet again. Would have NO issues with the club i we were to suffer a "surprising loss"...

The significance of the difference between winning and losing the last game will only be felt if Carlton loses every game to Round 21. If they then lose to us they could have two of the top 3 picks.

be a bit like the two boxers , both swinging and missing...both taking a dive..lol.

They'd play kick to kick.. lol..us to them to us to them to us..to............ lol

None of this matters. Carlton still has to play Essendon and no matter how hard they try they never lose to Essendon! A draw might be the best they can hope for and that would still disqualify them from the priority pick! :D

I agree with YM in terms of the approach by the players.... you never, ever want your players to be anything other than competitive beasts that want to win every contest... on the other hand you can select a team and play tactics that will help produce a more favourable result. (How ironic that losing is a better option than winning). Resting the likes of Neitz, White, Bruce, Junior and Robbo for 08 would go a long way to getting the best result.

My suspicious bastard nature suspects already that Michael Voss has been offered the Head Coach job at Carlton, they definately do not want to win anymore games - two more high draft picks - gives him a very good platform to build a team around. The only complicating factor could be an attack of pride by Dennis and some of the players that are on the way out.... C'mon the Blues do it for Kouta.

All that said there's a long, long way to go till rd 22. We may win a few along the way, Carlton may sneak a win... let's wait and see.

I don't think we have much choice but to play the younger players. We already have 4 of our best 22 out for the season, if Robbo's knee is stil playing up play him today for his 200th then send him to the paddock. We have to see if players like PJ, Newton, CJ, Buckley players that have been in the system a few years can show signs of playing consistantly at this level and we need to play Frawley to get experience into a KPP defender. We need to find out if Miller has a position at our club be it CHF or Key Back.

If we lose the first nine and aren't accused of tanking, what is the difference if we lose the last nine?

When does tanking actually become tanking and not just playing with the same poor form you have all season?

But at the end of the day nothing has really improved (injuries and form etc) throughout the course of the season (and we have lost a coach, more or less, because of it) except for our options for next year, which is absolutely the biggest goal for the rest of the season. We need to see who can and can't play and where, to see who should and who shouldn't be here, and to get some competition and game time into our future which is our kiddies.

If this is regarded as tanking then so be it (and I genuinely hate the perception of a team throwing games, and there is probably something wrong with a system then seems to encourage it), but to me it is the most logical thing any team can do when they are in the position we and a few others are in.

Hypothetical question.

It's round 22, Melbourne have won a total of four games so far this season and currently in 14th spot. We're on the same points as Carlton but ahead of them by percentage.

We play Carlton in our final game and if we beat them we lose our priority pick but we won't move into 13th because Fremantle has seven wins, however Carlton will receive a priority pick before anyone else (they only have 4 wins), leaving us with picks 4 and 20 (Carlton picks 1, 3 & 19, Richmond picks 2 & 18). But, if we lose we end up in 15th spot, we get a priority pick so we'll get picks 2, 18 and 20 (Richmond 1, 17 & 19, Carlton 3 and 21).

What do we do?

This is a Hypothetical "No brainer" .... If you won a game like this you could risk putting the club back 2-3 years in development.

Hypothetically speaking I would be super [censored] off when the previous year we lost to Carlton twice costing us a top 4 spot and a genuine crack at a flag. Seriously the same player group could not look the supporters in the face.

We don't get priority picks no matter where we finish.

yes we do, at the end of the first round. Just like Essendon and Carlton last year. If we do the same again next year, we get a pick at the start of the draft.

I think the priority pick system is based on how many wins you get not where you finish on the ladder.

I think the priority pick system is based on how many wins you get not where you finish on the ladder.

yeah sorry queen, i was working on the assumption that carlton would lose every game from here to then.