5 Young Dees Re-Sign

dazzledavey36

12 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

It's hard to see Hore get a contract with Sestan getting one. We only have 1 rookie spot left unless they decide to use the full amount of rookies and less fully contracted players which will be 1 more rookie. Brayshaw got replaced by a rookie in Kentfield, so I suppose they will keep it the same unless we decide to go for the least amount of rookies which means we will have no rookie spots left. 

I think Yze will take the last rookie spot not including Mentha as a cat B rookie and Hore will be without a home again.

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Salem, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Pick 5, Langdon

HF: Petracca, Petty, Chandler

F: Fritsch, van Rooyen, Turner

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

IC: Moniz-Wakefield, Sparrow, Tholstrup, McAdam, Melksham

Casey

B: Howes, Adams, Draft pick

HB: Bowey, Draft pick, Woewodin

C: Billings, Laurie, Brown

HF: Spargo, Kentfield, Sestan

F: Yze, Jefferson, Fullerton

FOLL: Draft pick, Draft pick, Draft pick

IC: Mentha, Verrall

SUS: Pickett

I think we will have 6 draft picks but that will be less when we go through free agency and trade period.

Who is the draft pick playing ahead of Verrall in the ruck? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

See zero issue with any of the re-signing.

Bizarre that some are already writing some young players off already because they're not up to AFL fitness in their 2nd year in..

Sestan showed a clear improvement in his fitness levels compared to last year. Another full pre season and I can see him playing AFL games.

AMW the same. He's had a taste of AFL action and will now know the level of fitness required to take that next step. Watch him come back in great shape.

This was pretty much Verralls first full season in the AFL after missing a huge chunk in 2023. Another who should play AFL games next year after a big summer.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, DEE fence said:

I think more tune up than rebuild. Speed and Kicking on the shopping list for sure.

Some people are blessed with tanks, those who don't, do need a few seasons, as was previously mentioned Tracc took a few,

there was an interesting interview where Burgess explained this but couldn't find.

Agree with these points.

By seasons end the following players were all in our best 23 (with the number of AFL preseasons in brackets): JVR (3), Turner (3), Howes (3), Mcvee (2) Windsor (1) and the Kolt (1).

So more than a quarter of our best 23 with three or fewer AFL preseasons under their belt (and it's worth noting for end of season draftees, all bar disco in that list, their first preseason is not really a full one as they come into the system in November).

When Burgess came to the dees i saw an interview with him (perhaps the same one you reference DF) when he said it takes three plus seasons to build a foundation of elite fitness (in reference to the challenge he faced getting us cherry ripe accross the board).

And once that elite foundation is built, every preseason after that incremental gains are possible for each player and the team as a whole (presumably only if they continue to do the work) - that's to say they can continue build on that foundation year on year and the base is a bit higher every year (which is why a finess freak line Novak Djokovic can be fitter and stronger at say 32 than he was at 25).

He also noted that it's not just aerobic (endurance) fitness that needs to be built, it's also anaerobic fitness (power and strength).

And that most players are either natural endurance athletes (eg nibbla) or power athletes (eg tracc).

So when they come into the AFL sytem (and through their career), will need an individual program developed for them that helps improve their relative weakness and enhance their strengths.

So Mcvee, an aerobic athlete, could build an elite endurance foundation relatively quickly, but is probably one to two more preseasons from an elite power and strength foundation (and look out when he does).

The opposite is true of JVR and Disco, both power athletes who will continue to get incrementally stronger (not to mention bigger as both will continue to fill out), but might take another one or two  preseasons to build an elite endurance foundation.

There's no doubt having so many of our best 23 with so few AFL preseasons under their belt had a significant impact on our ability to 'defend the ground' and run out games.

The upside of that is we got senior games into those young guns and if they have great preseasons all will go up a level fitness wise, both in terms of endurance and strength.

So, we are likely to get signficant natural improvement in terms of endurance and strength from a quarter of our best 23. 

Ditto for the five young players who just resigned who hope to become best 23.

Of the five i have highest hopes for AMW as if he can develop elite endurance I think he is can become our Quaynor style small, medium defender, freeing Mcvee to be a Daicos style aggressive half back, occasional mid. 

And Sestan has essentially been given a chance to build his tank and realise his potential to become a very good AFL player (it's worth noting that this time last year it looked doubftful AMW would be able to do so).

Add a pick 5 (by way of comparison Windsor was seven and the hawks' Watson was 5) to natural improvement in terms of endurance and strength from so many young players (not to mention the improvements in their craft experience brings) there's good reason to be bullish about the next few seasons.

A rebuild on the run.

Edited by binman
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

Very pleased for the lads.

A concern is we have only one A-Rookie spot left.  In a very even draft a good player may slip through the main draft, leaving the rookie draft and the SPP as pathways to join a club.  The latter selection is also as an A-Rookie and usually via an 'invite to train with' and the club has till Feb to decide.

I hope we haven't created a bit of a catch-22 for ourselves with just one A-rookie spot.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Who is the draft pick playing ahead of Verrall in the ruck? 🤣🤣🤣

I'm hoping it will be an experienced ruck through the trade period tbh.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, picket fence said:

CAAARRYYYST IF I SEE PETTY ANYWHERE NEAR THE FORWARD LINE,NEXT YEAR I"LL SIMULTANEOUSLY IMPLODE- EXPLODE AND SPEW UP🤯🤮😱

Hulk Hogan Rage GIF by BLoafX

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 15/09/2024 at 11:22, Lucifers Hero said:

Very pleased for the lads.

A concern is we have only one A-Rookie spot left.  In a very even draft a good player may slip through the main draft, leaving the rookie draft and the SPP as pathways to join a club.  The latter selection is also as an A-Rookie and usually via an 'invite to train with' and the club has till Feb to decide.

I hope we haven't created a bit of a catch-22 for ourselves with just one A-rookie spot.

That spot is reserved most likely for Noah Yze as Cat A rookie.  He’s unlikely to get drafted but I think Dees will honour the father son commitment.  He’s got potential which is where the rookie list should be for.  I liked to rookie list for players 18-23yo as development and not this list management strategy for older players.  Just my view.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

That spot is reserved most likely for Noah Yze as Cat A rookie.  He’s unlikely to get drafted but I think Dees will honour the father son commitment.  He’s got potential which is where the rookie list should be for.  I liked to rookie list for players 18-23yo as development and not this list management strategy for older players.  Just my view.  

I'm glad for Noah.

However, it deepens my concern that in filling all our A-Rookie spots we are denying ourselves the chance to get a player who slips out of a very even draft, either in the Rookie draft or as a SSP recruit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I'd have Riak Andrew and Ricky Mentha over Yze for this spot.

• Like 4

Can't see the wisdom in resigning Verrell, Sestan or Kentfield at this time. Why not leave the list spots open until after the drafts and see what falls out? I'd be amazed if any of these guys ever play an AFL game, unless we plan on plumbing even lower depths next year.

I really hope we give Jason Taylor a decent quality and quantity of picks to work with this year. Giving him two draft picks last year was an utter disgrace.

4 hours ago, poita said:

Can't see the wisdom in resigning Verrell, Sestan or Kentfield at this time. Why not leave the list spots open until after the drafts and see what falls out? I'd be amazed if any of these guys ever play an AFL game, unless we plan on plumbing even lower depths next year.

I really hope we give Jason Taylor a decent quality and quantity of picks to work with this year. Giving him two draft picks last year was an utter disgrace.

This is about as late as you get unless you’re delisting them. 
Mind you there were some leaks months ago on a few resigning - so they weren’t left until now, just announced now.  
If they were delisted, these kids would be snapped up by our opposition before they got in their car. 

• Like 1

Kentfield and AMW are the two who can step up I believe.  Aside from the required tank-building-via-gut-running sessions, they both need a huge pre season in the gym building upper body strength.  Kentfield came in mid season and clearly did not have the fitness to be effective in the VFL and just turned 19.

Dare I say that IMVVVHO he has more raw talent and upside than Jeffo!  

13 hours ago, poita said:

Given we're more than likely adding 5+ players to the list this year anyway, gives us some flexibility for next year. Also, it allows us to see what Kentfield can do after an AFL level preseason. Verrell HAS to be there, as Farris-White has been delisted, Fullarton is a non-starter, and Schache has retired. Sestan is probably the most contentious one, however given his work ethic, I see no harm in it at all.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 09:48, binman said:

Agree with these points.

By seasons end the following players were all in our best 23 (with the number of AFL preseasons in brackets): JVR (3), Turner (3), Howes (3), Mcvee (2) Windsor (1) and the Kolt (1).

So more than a quarter of our best 23 with three or fewer AFL preseasons under their belt (and it's worth noting for end of season draftees, all bar disco in that list, their first preseason is not really a full one as they come into the system in November).

When Burgess came to the dees i saw an interview with him (perhaps the same one you reference DF) when he said it takes three plus seasons to build a foundation of elite fitness (in reference to the challenge he faced getting us cherry ripe accross the board).

And once that elite foundation is built, every preseason after that incremental gains are possible for each player and the team as a whole (presumably only if they continue to do the work) - that's to say they can continue build on that foundation year on year and the base is a bit higher every year (which is why a finess freak line Novak Djokovic can be fitter and stronger at say 32 than he was at 25).

He also noted that it's not just aerobic (endurance) fitness that needs to be built, it's also anaerobic fitness (power and strength).

And that most players are either natural endurance athletes (eg nibbla) or power athletes (eg tracc).

So when they come into the AFL sytem (and through their career), will need an individual program developed for them that helps improve their relative weakness and enhance their strengths.

So Mcvee, an aerobic athlete, could build an elite endurance foundation relatively quickly, but is probably one to two more preseasons from an elite power and strength foundation (and look out when he does).

The opposite is true of JVR and Disco, both power athletes who will continue to get incrementally stronger (not to mention bigger as both will continue to fill out), but might take another one or two  preseasons to build an elite endurance foundation.

There's no doubt having so many of our best 23 with so few AFL preseasons under their belt had a significant impact on our ability to 'defend the ground' and run out games.

The upside of that is we got senior games into those young guns and if they have great preseasons all will go up a level fitness wise, both in terms of endurance and strength.

So, we are likely to get signficant natural improvement in terms of endurance and strength from a quarter of our best 23. 

Of the five i have highest hopes for AMW as if he can develop elite endurance I think he is can become our Quaynor style small, medium defender, freeing Mcvee to be a Daicos style aggressive half back, occasional mid. 

And Sestan has essentially been given a chance to build his tank and realise his potential to become a very good AFL player (it's worth noting that this time last year it looked doubftful AMW would be able to do so).

Add a pick 5 (by way of comparison Windsor was seven and the hawks' Watson was 5) to natural improvement in terms of endurance and strength from so many young players (not to mention the improvements in their craft experience brings) there's good reason to be bullish about the next few seasons.

A rebuild on the run.

I'd like to see what Sestan could do at a higher level, he's got the most talent amongst the young Casey guys. like AMW he needs to improve his reading of the play and get more of the ball, and utlise those skills. 

Edited by Bay Riffin

14 hours ago, poita said:

He would have driven that. 

On 14/09/2024 at 22:13, whatwhat say what said:

i'll go...

mfc 23
B: McVee - May - Lever
HB: Bowey - McDonald - Salem
C: Langdon - Rivers - C Windsor
HF: Petracca - Petty - Tholstrup
F: van Rooyen - Fritsch - Chandler
Foll: Gawn - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Spargo - Sparrow - Turner - pick 5
Sub: Melksham

casey 22
B: Mentha - Adams - Andrew
HB: Moniz-Wakefield - draft pick - Howes
C: Billings - White - K Windsor
HF: Sestan - Kentfield - Brown
F: Fullarton - Jefferson - McAdam
Foll: Verrall - Steele - Laurie
I/c: Yze - Edwards - Gregory - draft pick

suspended: pickett

so that's minimum three draft picks coming onto the list, plus andrew, mentha, and yze

i would have thought hore would be retained, but it would seem that he and hunter are unlikely to be on the list in 2025

Whoa..

Why have you got Langdon on the members wing? Are you predicting his fitness downfall next year, or are you saying Windsor is going to be even fitter than him? Either way, that's a huge call 

(Yeah I'm bored at work)

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2024 at 09:32, dazzledavey36 said:

See zero issue with any of the re-signing.

Bizarre that some are already writing some young players off already because they're not up to AFL fitness in their 2nd year in..

Sestan showed a clear improvement in his fitness levels compared to last year. Another full pre season and I can see him playing AFL games.

AMW the same. He's had a taste of AFL action and will now know the level of fitness required to take that next step. Watch him come back in great shape.

This was pretty much Verralls first full season in the AFL after missing a huge chunk in 2023. Another who should play AFL games next year after a big summer.

Agree with your comments on Sestan, I am sure he missed the later part of 2023 season with a bad injury, so started back on a modified program this past preseason. Given this, his 2025 will be his first full preseason at the club.

1 hour ago, BAMF said:

Whoa..

Why have you got Langdon on the members wing? Are you predicting his fitness downfall next year, or are you saying Windsor is going to be even fitter than him? Either way, that's a huge call 

(Yeah I'm bored at work)

from my spot on the afl members that's my wing...

max won the toss and we're kicking to the punt rd end

On 15/09/2024 at 09:48, binman said:

Agree with these points.

A rebuild on the run.

Just when I was getting worried about the year ahead........