Oliver Trade Rumours

5 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

Sorry, got here late. Can someone sum up this thread in 10 words or less?

WCW has threatened to leave Demonland, and has been seen meeting with members of a Cats Fan Forum on a farm near Geelong.

Edited by mo64
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

just normal trade time blues and boredom, with no footy to talk about

like walking into a bar at 9am on a monday

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

'Well at least we don't have to blow everything up' (like 2013)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roost it far said:

What’s said in public is often completely different to what’s said between 2 clubs. My guess is we’ve told Geelong, if you want him show us a respectable offer but leave the media out of it. I’d hazard a guess that Melbourne think they can get most/all the salary of the books, get Geelongs F1 and trade that back into this years draft. If we get 3 top 20 picks and pick 28 it goes a long way to changing the look and skill set of the team. 

And to repeat my take on it fwiw, I reckon Geelong let Oliver's visit become public knowledge in order to embarrass Melbourne. Consequently MFC could have been seen as having to rid itself of a "cultural issue" whatever the price, the emphasis being "whatever the price" because they knew they had nothing to match his true value.

Sneaky as, and all the heat comes back on Melbourne as a basket case while Geelong are seen as squeaky clean.

I think I might just go watch the 2021 prelim now as my compensation.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, pitmaster said:

And to repeat my take on it fwiw, I reckon Geelong let Oliver's visit become public knowledge in order to embarrass Melbourne. Consequently MFC could have been seen as having to rid itself of a "cultural issue" whatever the price, the emphasis being "whatever the price" because they knew they had nothing to match his true value.

Sneaky as, and all the heat comes back on Melbourne as a basket case while Geelong are seen as squeaky clean.

I think I might just go watch the 2021 prelim now as my compensation.

I would very much doubt Geelong would set out to publicly embarrass another club only to then have to sit down and negotiate a trade with them.

After the last couple of months, it seems pretty clear that any leaking likely came from the Melbourne side of things somewhere.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

.After the last couple of months, it seems pretty clear that any leaking likely came from the Melbourne side of things somewhere.

I reckon a lot of media types are getting their info from a lot of player managers

And the player managers would have a lot of info

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Slartibartfast said:

Who leaked the Pert phone call/s?  No player manager there.

That could very easily have been a player manager. I would have thought there would be every likelihood Oliver's manager was informed of those calls happening. Player managers have a huge say in the trade period, including negotiating deals, so I would be surprised if his management weren't across those approaches at the time.

In saying that, I think we have an issue somewhere in the club with leaking, so it could have been to do with that.

Either possibility exists in my view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, old55 said:

If it's all to much to handle RBMB then just choose to tune out. Trade period will be all over next Thursday morning. Things could go many ways in the meantime - tune back in then and find out what happened.

Not a bad approach! haha might be a good way to condense a lot of nonsense into 2-3 minutes of things that actually happened, rather than days of conjecture and hyperbole. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Team rules apply to everyone

No they don't Macca, and havent applied for 20 years, well unless of course the coach is 'old skool'.

Treating people fairly, isn't the same as treating them the same 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Sorry, I’ve gone and triggered the morality police. 

Bullying can be highly subjective, and is an easy label to throw around when attempting to take the moral high ground.

You come to a discussion forum for discussion and to share opinions. Don’t expect people to always agree with you or always have favourable reactions. If you’re triggered by someone hitting the reaction button on your post, maybe it is time to take a break.

All the best.

You can disagree with someone without being an [censored].

• Clap 1

3 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

That could very easily have been a player manager. I would have thought there would be every likelihood Oliver's manager was informed of those calls happening. Player managers have a huge say in the trade period, including negotiating deals, so I would be surprised if his management weren't across those approaches at the time.

In saying that, I think we have an issue somewhere in the club with leaking, so it could have been to do with that.

My thinking is that in list management it was decided to see what Oliver was worth. Rather than go through his manager Pert rings Lyon (this happened) to test the water.  This course was taken as they played together and it was just an informal call. The Saints had interest last year and now have two top ten picks.  Why wouldn't you ask? So in my view Oliver's manager wouldn't have known, only Ross Lyon and our LM team.

I believe Tim Lamb when he says clubs ring each other about players all the time, it just doesn't get out.  I've asked real estate agents about the value of my house on multiple occasions over the 30 years I've lived in it.  I've never had the slightest intention of selling but it's important to know the value of things.  It's important in list management too.

I don't think Lyon had any incentive to leak the call so I think it came from us. But I'm just speculating.  Why would we tell Oliver's manager?  Unless of course it just a continuation of the appalling management we've seen for some time now.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

My thinking is that in list management it was decided to see what Oliver was worth. Rather than go through his manager Pert rings Lyon (this happened) to test the water.  This course was taken as they played together and it was just an informal call. The Saints had interest last year and now have two top ten picks.  Why wouldn't you ask? So in my view Oliver's manager wouldn't have known, only Ross Lyon and our LM team.

I believe Tim Lamb when he says clubs ring each other about players all the time, it just doesn't get out.  I've asked real estate agents about the value of my house on multiple occasions over the 30 years I've lived in it.  I've never had the slightest intention of selling but it's important to know the value of things.  It's important in list management too.

I don't think Lyon had any incentive to leak the call so I think it came from us. But I'm just speculating.  Why would we tell Oliver's manager?  Unless of course it just a continuation of the appalling management we've seen for some time now.

I think not informing Oliver's manager and then having it come out in the media would be a far more harmful outcome for all involved than keeping Oliver's management across all discussions involving him. That's just my view however.

I haven't read every single article on the matter, where has it been reported that Gary Pert rang Ross Lyon? I don't believe I've come across that anywhere.

I don't think the property analogy is apt. There's no chance of your house catching wind of you discussing it with potential buyers and then becoming aggrieved with your handling and deciding they no longer wish to be owned by you. We're dealing with humans here, and clearly the reporting around the Oliver mess has continually brought up his treatment and how he has felt treated by the club (right or wrong). I wouldn't have thought we would need to approach other clubs, who aren't across his status, to determine a value unless we were realistically looking to trade him. Calling around other clubs just to hypothetically ask what players are worth, with no intention of trading them, would be disastrous management. As bad as we've been, I couldn't see us going that far.

In saying all the above, my biggest gripe has been the disconnect between Pert, the football department, and the board. The board meeting to hold a vote on the Oliver trade days after Pert has initiated things is an indictment on where our club currently sits in terms of communication and organisation. 

Edited by FreedFromDesire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

WCW has threatened to leave Demonland, and has been seen meeting with members of a Cats Fan Forum on a farm near Geelong.

I'm not going to believe this is happening until news comes out of WCW driving down Punt Rd in a brand new Ford Ranger, flashing a certain tattoo in the general direction of Gosch's Paddock!

27 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I reckon the leaks to the media are from player agents - it's no coincidence that Tom Morris was at the front of developments of both stories (with a reliable source) and Oliver and Trac have the same manager.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

Geelong let everyone know about Clayton catching up with Cats players on the farm.!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Getting back on topic... 

I think we have no option but to either keep Clarry or trade him for what we'd probably consider a packet of chips.

While we don't know much of the details, I think it will depend whether the FD have simply had enough and want him out at all costs (relatively) or if they think he is capable of turning it around to recapture some fitness and form. I can't see how another club would take him unless it's at a rock bottom price, which will likely include us paying a chunk of his contract

But surely this is why SOMEONE shopped him around? PERSONALLY I LOVE HIM. BUT If he wanted out I would have agreed to and Moved on!!

1 minute ago, DeeZone said:

Geelong let everyone know about Clayton catching up with Cats players on the farm.!!

I disagree. In my view, it's far more likely that was one of Clayton's friends (or friends of friends as the grapevine does work), or possibly some connection with his management.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1