Oliver Trade Rumours

14 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Andrew Mackie:

”We contacted Pert and Clayton’s manager regularly about Clayton for over two years, escalating in the past two months. We had Clayton have a phone call with our senior administrators and go out to a farm to be pitched by our players and repeatedly told the media all about it. We floated our future first through the media to push the story Melbourne needed to get his contract off their books and were pushing him out. All despite Richardson and Lamb saying he was not up for trade. And now, after the board has confirmed it and MFC have given us a whack privately ant trade week and Clayton has told us no we are respecting their position and putting it to bed”.

Wow. I guess we know where the story was coming from. That is so aggressive and really bold to admit it openly. I guess that's why the cat's usually get their man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Except that Clarry liked the instagram post that said he could be joining Bayley Smith and Jack Martin at the Cattery. 

Clayton might have wanted to go. Trac might have wanted to go. It doesn’t mean MFC wants to or will trade them out of a long term contract. Likes are cheap, I liked your post. Bonds with a football boss, list manager, coach and other players who love and support you are real. Every club had quality players assessing their options, some of them may be silly enough to put some of that online, but what determines how the football public perceives it is how the media report it and how the football clubs involved behave. We may have some issues, Pert may have gone rogue, but the vast majority of this narrative has come from GFC and for them to try to play the big, magnanimous, honourable club now is sickeningly transparent. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Flowergirl said:

Wow. I guess we know where the story was coming from. That is so aggressive and really bold to admit it openly. I guess that's why the cat's usually get their man.

It’s a joke, it’s not a real quote. I’ll change the quotation marks. But it is a real summary of Geelong’s actions in this saga.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

It’s a joke, it’s not a real quote. I’ll change the quotation marks. But it is a real summary of Geelong’s actions in this saga.

Ah that makes more sense. But that is exactly what happened though. I guess that's why I thought you were quoting them directly. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Clarry was Def open to a trade. 

There’s a difference between being open to a trade and being able to engineer one. Players change their minds all the time. Petty wanted a trade last year, re-signed for four this year, Papley, Ben King etc. If you had an honest poll of player managers 5-10 players at every club would entertain a trade, especially if it was to a club contending.
Things change, which is why if he gets back to his best and we storm back up the ladder we’ll be very grateful both Clarry and Trac were on long term deals.

There’s also the question of whether the reason why Clarry was open to the trade was entirely true.
Was he open to a trade because his management was sniffing it out for six months as per Cornes?

Or was he hurt to find Pert had shopped him around? Per McClure and Morris

Or was the club pushing him out? Per Gleeson and Tohmey. 

Or was he just doing a bit of the grass is greener? I love my colleagues and my job but every few months I look around, if I had a manager to do that for more I’d probably do it more, even though I doubt I’d ever leave!

It’s human nature. It doesn’t mean we won’t keep him, that he won’t be happy at MFC as he has been for the rest of his career. And it surprises me anyone doubts how aggressive Geelong has been in getting him, while my quote post was tongue in cheek, no one at Geelong denies any of those actions. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demonsone said:

Whatever the review raises Green and co need to address the circus club has become … the last 12mths is a joke with the going ons of Oliver, Trac and constant noise enough is enough, either keep these players or trade them!

Thanks Demonsone, Oliver situation with all the noise and fake news finally put to bed, yet you can’t resist taking another swipe at our club. Circus indeed, we shall watch and see who the real clowns are.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

26 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

There’s a difference between being open to a trade and being able to engineer one. Players change their minds all the time. Petty wanted a trade last year, re-signed for four this year, Papley, Ben King etc. 

There is also a difference between Petty wanting a trade and the 2 best players in the last 30 years wanting a trade in the same off season. (Just on Petty, his situation changed but he also tanked his value, Adelaide withdrew the offer and tried to low ball him)

We should be happy that the club has settled on a course of action. What we shouldn’t be happy about is how we’ve had our logo used as a pin cushion by the media. Unfortunately it’s mostly self inflicted. Trac’s little adventure is well documented. We handled that situation like rank amateurs. 

Oliver’s situation is similar. We’ve had many opportunities to resolve this months ago but we’ve let things fester.

I am happy for people to believe whatever they want in regards to whether it’s the media or player agents or inside sources but let’s all be honest and admit that a lot of these rumours and stories come from the players. 

Edited by JJJ
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

12 minutes ago, Demonland said:

At this hour ... yes.

OasisDefinitelyMaybealbumcover.jpg

100 pages.

Seems almost ridiculous.

Thank god no other threads have wasted so much data.......

Oh wait.

• Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Biffen said:

100 pages.

Seems almost ridiculous.

Thank god no other threads have wasted so much data.......

Oh wait.

I agree with you.

But, what if Trac and Clazza came out early and stated their commitment to the club as soon as the rumours started? They didn’t. We looked stupid. 

The length of the two threads is reflective of our management and comms.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JJJ said:

There is also a difference between Petty wanting a trade and the 2 best players in the last 30 years wanting a trade in the same off season. (Just on Petty, his situation changed but he also tanked his value, Adelaide withdrew the offer and tried to low ball him)

We should be happy that the club has settled on a course of action. What we shouldn’t be happy about is how we’ve had our logo used as a pin cushion by the media. Unfortunately it’s mostly self inflicted. Trac’s little adventure is well documented. We handled that situation like rank amateurs. 

Oliver’s situation is similar. We’ve had many opportunities to resolve this months ago but we’ve let things fester.

I am happy for people to believe whatever they want in regards to whether it’s the media or player agents or inside sources but let’s all be honest and admit that a lot of these rumours and stories come from the players. 

I need to take a break from posting as I’ve been overdoing it lately but on Petty you’re not quite right there. Petty’s situation changed, that was the main motivation for signing at MFC, if he’d wanted to see another AFC deal he would’ve waited til much closer to the seasons end. It had nothing to do with ‘tanking his value’, while many at our club are frustrated with him as a forward his value as a defender, which AFC wanted, remains. 
On Trac, yes it’s possible the club could’ve done better. But it was also a once in a lifetime trauma that changed Trac’s entire outlook and made him reassess. It’s possible that if Kate Roffey sent him a dozen red roses every day in the second half of the year he still asks for a trade, trauma is complex. 
Oliver came up again largely because we put him up last year as a threat and clubs are still sniffing around and it went viral because the media are after us in the wake of Roffey’s sacking and just generally have been for the last 3 years. Geelong were aggressive and here we are. 

Clearly the club has problems, our President just left and we have two reviews going. But as someone who works for an organisation in a different industry that copped some negative media treatment in recent years I’ve seen first hand how an organisation painted as a “circus” in the media can just have one or two loose cannons or two feuding individuals and once resolved be revealed to have had a majority excellent culture and dedicated professional environment. It’s never as good as it’s reported, it’s never as bad.

I think we need to be careful not to tear our club apart at the instigation of outside forces who either don’t care what happens to us, or have grudges and direct hatred they want sated. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

26 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I agree with you.

But, what if Trac and Clazza came out early and stated their commitment to the club as soon as the rumours started? They didn’t. We looked stupid. 

The length of the two threads is reflective of our management and comms.

The other effect is it flushes out what players are tradable at rival teams.

Black ops.

In reality we are not trading premiership winning mids for chicken change.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

I need to take a break from posting as I’ve been overdoing it lately but on Petty you’re not quite right there. Petty’s situation changed, that was the main motivation for signing at MFC, if he’d wanted to see another AFC deal he would’ve waited til much closer to the seasons end. It had nothing to do with ‘tanking his value’, while many at our club are frustrated with him as a forward his value as a defender, which AFC wanted, remains. 
On Trac, yes it’s possible the club could’ve done better. But it was also a once in a lifetime trauma that changed Trac’s entire outlook and made him reassess. It’s possible that if Kate Roffey sent him a dozen red roses every day in the second half of the year he still asks for a trade, trauma is complex. 
Oliver came up again largely because we put him up last year as a threat and clubs are still sniffing around and it went viral because the media are after us in the wake of Roffey’s sacking and just generally have been for the last 3 years. Geelong were aggressive and here we are. 

Clearly the club has problems, our President just left and we have two reviews going. But as someone who works for an organisation in a different industry that copped some negative media treatment in recent years I’ve seen first hand how an organisation painted as a “circus” in the media can just have one or two loose cannons or two feuding individuals and once resolved be revealed to have had a majority excellent culture and dedicated professional environment. It’s never as good as it’s reported, it’s never as bad.

I think we need to be careful not to tear our club apart at the instigation of outside forces who either don’t care what happens to us, or have grudges and direct hatred they want sated. 

Your last two paragraphs are very succinct as the hysteria that has been created and stoked and re-stoked on this site has shown us to be very vulnerable and has provoked savage attacks on members of our club without proven evidence or verifiable statements to support their claims.

• Like 4

.. and then walk out into the next room with a towering Pert who asks 'how did that go? All ok?".

2 minutes ago, mo64 said:

That was cringeworthy. I thought I was listening to Humphrey Appleby from Yes Minister. And why would he even need to say that the List Management team were united? United against whom?

Whom indeed mo64 what are you inferring, just asking for a friend???