Oliver Trade Rumours

19 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

But Kane Cornes told me we needed to trade him and a first round pick!
Why won’t anyone listen to Kane when he tells us Pickett and Petty are leaving and then says we should trade Oliver? Poor Kane. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8
  • Clap 1

Consider the pre-game planning going on when we had a full midfield:

"****No 1 stopper will take TRac , no2 Gus, No 3 Jack no 4 Clarrie.......... How in the hell are we going to fit 4 taggers inside the central square. Well we will pick up the other 3 and let the Red head run !!!!

Case solved

...........but now all we have (of the top level quality) is Jack and nobody wants to tag him, so big tag goes to "the red head"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Interesting only .

Clayton played in good teams winning more games so oppo player took less votes from him than in the losing days of Robbie and Wells. 

Sure but on the flip side he has spent his career with Trac and Gawn taking votes off him 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The funny thing is that articles are being written saying basically Melbourne want him out. And we’ll pay $ and a pick to do so. Same articles tell us how good he will be at other clubs and who needs him more etc. 

He’ll be a demon in 2025. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, Demonland said:

I don't want to say I told youse .

But I will.

I told youse.

• Clap 1

21 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I agree l, I recall he was present from start to the camp. Then came back in Jan but was also training away from the group too. So it technically wasn’t a full pre season , but it wasn’t nothing either. 

Of course it wasn't nothing.

Which is why he has been able to play as well as he has.

Despite having a very limited preseason and having a badly broken hand that required surgery (that he is clearly still struggling with) Oliver has been our best mid this season.

And that's also despite playing a different role - a defensive mid. A role that no doubt he is playing because of his limited preseason (because he doesn't have his breakaway speed and stamina).

It must be so frustrating for clarry, a bloke used to being a walk up AA.

He is working his guts out week on week out. Just look at him at the end of each quarter - he's spent.

He knows he's not near his optimal condition and knows there is little he can do about that in season.

Because he is so far off his peak condition he is often starting on the bench and is only playing 72% game time this season (I think the lowest of any regular best 22). 

He's working hard by all accounts on his wellbeing and off field stuff. Doing what is asked of him, including the things like the koz trip home.

And on top of all of that had to put up with the peanut gallery in the media taking lazy pot shots - peanuts who are predominantly ex footballers who know all about fitness and preseasons, and so are simply gaslighting footy fans. 

Wouldn't it be great if clarry, who by all accounts is a really nice young man, had the full support of dees SUPPORTERS who instead of amplifying misinformation the media spews out for clicks, ratings and profit pushed back and got behind him.

Or at the very least bothered to educate themselves about some basic facts about AFL football circa 2024 - for example the impact of interrupted preseasons and in season injury and surgery on elite athletes.

Edited by binman
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 10

45 minutes ago, binman said:

Despite having a very limited preseason and having a badly broken hand that required surgery (that he is clearly still struggling with) Oliver has been our best mid this season.

And that's also despite playing a different role - a defensive mid. A role that no doubt he is playing because of his limited preseason (because he doesn't have his breakaway speed and stamina).

He is working his guts out week on week out. Just look at him at the end of each quarter - he's spent.

He knows he's not near his optimal condition and knows there is little he can do about that in season.

Because he is so far off peak condition he is often starting on the bench and is only playing 72% game time tgis season (I think the lowest). 

He's working hard by all accounts on his well being and off field stuff. Doing what is asked of him, including the things like the koz trip home.

And on top of all of that had to put up with the peanut gallery in the media taking lazy pot shots - peanuts who are predominantly ex footballers who know all about fitness and preseasons.

Wouldn't it be great if clarry, who by all accounts is a really nice young man, had the full support of dees SUPPORTERS who instead of amplifying misinformation the media spews out for clicks, ratings and profit pushed back and got behind him.

Or at the very least bothered to educate themselves about some basic facts about AFL football circa 2024 - for example the impact of interrupted preseasons and in season injury and surgery on elite athletes.

Far easier for some to just bag the players.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

And these supporters will be the first ones losing it at the club if Oliver was traded and went on to rediscover his form!

• Like 7

“Just my opinion, there’s no world that I’d be changing or trading Clayton Oliver. There’s no footy world where I follow that I would contemplate trading Clayton Oliver,” Lyon said on SEN.

Oliver signed a monster contract extension in 2022 which ties him to Melbourne on a $1m-season deal until 2030.

Lyon said he would hand back his membership if the Demons paid any portion of Oliver’s deal while he played for another club.

“If they paid another club to take him, that’d be the last straw,” he said.

The former Demons skipper said with the emergence of Trent Rivers and return of Christian Petracca in 2025, Oliver could recapture his mantle as one of the AFL’s premier midfielders.

“He’s 27 years old, he’s won four best-and-fairests, he’s won two coaches awards, he’s a premiership player. He’s a superstar of the game who is in a bit of a hole, relatively. He’s still averaging 25 touches,” he said.

Lyon added: “If you believe everything you read he’s like a 10-possession player that can’t impact. He’s nowhere near his peak. But we know his issues.

“We know how well documented they are. And if I’m the Melbourne footy club, I’m looking at him as getting through this year, hopefully still playing good footy and then cracking in, big summer, Petracca back, midfield going and go again.”

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Things would have to be pretty bad if we pay someone to take him. He hasn’t just lost his mojo, he had a limited pre-season and he is our premier mid which means that teams can curtail him and he can’t break through tags and out run like he has done in the past.

I wouldn’t be making any decisions this summer other than trying to get him fit and happy for pre-season.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, binman said:

Because he is so far off his peak condition he is often starting on the bench and is only playing 72% game time this season (I think the lowest of any regular best 22). 

He's working hard by all accounts on his wellbeing and off field stuff. Doing what is asked of him, including the things like the koz trip home.

And on top of all of that had to put up with the peanut gallery in the media taking lazy pot shots - peanuts who are predominantly ex footballers who know all about fitness and preseasons, and so are simply gaslighting footy fans. 

You’re taking me a little out of context, but that’s ok. 

For the record - not that it matters- I want him to stay, I think he’ll be better for it in 2025. I’m not yet convinced he’ll ever get back to his best, but I know he’ll give it a shot. 

If he was to go, all I’d ask is that we are compensated fairly. It would be 2 first rounders and nothing less. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

It's appalling that so called fans call for such a great servant of our Club - one of our best to do it EVER - and one of the best all round in the modern era - to be dropped/traded/sold down the river because a season does not meet their/his usual lofty expectations. It's like we love repeating Norm Smith over and over. 

Where's the faith? It's disgraceful. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

• Demonland changed the title to Oliver Trade Rumours
1 hour ago, Demonland said:

“Just my opinion, there’s no world that I’d be changing or trading Clayton Oliver. There’s no footy world where I follow that I would contemplate trading Clayton Oliver,” Lyon said on SEN.

Oliver signed a monster contract extension in 2022 which ties him to Melbourne on a $1m-season deal until 2030.

Lyon said he would hand back his membership if the Demons paid any portion of Oliver’s deal while he played for another club.

“If they paid another club to take him, that’d be the last straw,” he said.

The former Demons skipper said with the emergence of Trent Rivers and return of Christian Petracca in 2025, Oliver could recapture his mantle as one of the AFL’s premier midfielders.

“He’s 27 years old, he’s won four best-and-fairests, he’s won two coaches awards, he’s a premiership player. He’s a superstar of the game who is in a bit of a hole, relatively. He’s still averaging 25 touches,” he said.

Lyon added: “If you believe everything you read he’s like a 10-possession player that can’t impact. He’s nowhere near his peak. But we know his issues.

“We know how well documented they are. And if I’m the Melbourne footy club, I’m looking at him as getting through this year, hopefully still playing good footy and then cracking in, big summer, Petracca back, midfield going and go again.”

I was listening and this is where the media doesn’t report what is actually said. The bolder bit

Garry actually said he would under no circumstances trade Oliver who is in a form slump 

With regards to handing back his membership, his words were worse then trading Oliver if they were to also pay some of his salary to play for another club that would be it for me.

Whilst it may only be semantics it’s how the media works and the truth gets lost in translation. The next article changes it slightly again and click bait goes wild.

The biggest issue for me is Kane Cornes(who tries to be controversial just for the sake of it) made a suggestion that Melbourne would potentially pay part of Oliver’s salary and off load a first round pick to get Oliver off our books, suddenly becomes something that the club is considering.

FCS this is the same person who absolutely pushed the Kossie to Port move 2 years ago as if it was a done deal.

Never believe anything Cornes or Maclure say

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

Sure but on the flip side he has spent his career with Trac and Gawn taking votes off him 

Good point. And Gus also in 2018 when he came 3rd.

Fantastic effort by clarry.

• Like 5

Someone who is suffering from mental illness could potentially be more susceptible to the false narrative pushed by footy journos. 

Cornes pushing the story that we should offload his contract followed by journos speculating that Oliver is unhappy and/or the club is too won’t be helping Clarrie.

Its amazing, given that everyone has an idea of Clarrie’s mental state, that these low life’s don’t drop the story or at least get called out by other journos with something resembling a moral compass.

The whole thing is very disappointing and a horrible reflection of the general public’s thirst for news and the organisations that feed it.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Someone who is suffering from mental illness could potentially be more susceptible to the false narrative pushed by footy journos. 

Cornes pushing the story that we should offload his contract followed by journos speculating that Oliver is unhappy and/or the club is too won’t be helping Clarrie.

Its amazing, given that everyone has an idea of Clarrie’s mental state, that these low life’s don’t drop the story or at least get called out by other journos with something resembling a moral compass.

The whole thing is very disappointing and a horrible reflection of the general public’s thirst for news and the organisations that feed it.

One day, and we hope not, but one day someone the media will kill one of these players because of the endless criticism and skepticism around them and their lives. 

I just hope if that day does come, then there’s some way to punish the people responsible. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Neitz the Great said:

One day, and we hope not, but one day someone the media will kill one of these players because of the endless criticism and skepticism around them and their lives. 

I just hope if that day does come, then there’s some way to punish the people responsible. 

It’s happened already 👍

And some who exit the circus that is sport, only by the skin of their teeth get lampooned for choosing their mental health and thus future over playing a sport for $ 

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

For what it is worth Cornes went off his rocker in his playing days when someone laid the heat on him and his family. Or the time he made the big song and dance about retiring to become a fireman and bailed out it must have been too tough.

He has no journalistic skill and relies on being controversial and peddling innuendo and suggestion . The trouble is the masses lap it up.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Older demon said:

For what it is worth Cornes went off his rocker in his playing days when someone laid the heat on him and his family. Or the time he made the big song and dance about retiring to become a fireman and bailed out it must have been too tough.

He has no journalistic skill and relies on being controversial and peddling innuendo and suggestion . The trouble is the masses lap it up.

He also got stuck into Collingwood for giving up on Ginnivan too easily. And you can get your bottom dollar that if we traded Clarry and he went on to rediscover his form, he would get stuck into us for trading him. 
As I said before, he’s the Trump of AFL media. 

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He also got stuck into Collingwood for giving up on Ginnivan too easily. And you can get your bottom dollar that if we traded Clarry and he went on to rediscover his form, he would get stuck into us for trading him. 
As I said before, he’s the Trump of AFL media. 

that's a bit harsh on the star-spangled ginger, jaded ... nobody could be as pathetic as the big-k, surely

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

And Angus Brayshaw who nearly won one if I remember correctly.😁

• Like 1