Oliver Trade Rumours

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sam McClure is as reliable as a Federal Election promise. 

• Like 3

What an embarrassing segment on FC. Also incredibly disrespectful to pot one of the all time greats based on one slightly down season. McClure is crud. Says he's going to the Crows . Said the Adelaide CEO almost said as much on the weekend.  Then cut to a clip that said nothing of the sort. Boiled down to saying they have a 'whiteboard with names on it'. Don't all clubs? Cringeworthy. Then said it was a big 'IF'. Abominable 'journalism'. Oliver is not going anywhere. Barring injury look out for him to have a massive 2025 in Demon colours. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wait - I thought Petty was going to the Crows ? 🐦 

Stone the 🐦 🐦 🐦 s maybe this is all just BS 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Those stats are average volume for a centre square midfielder, but they don’t take into account the poor effectiveness of his disposal.

Oliver has been an elite volume midfielder but a relatively poorly skilled ball user. Without elite pace, he is now getting only average stat numbers (for a centre square midfielder) and he can no longer breakaway from congestion, which means he is not getting the same depth and penetration from his disposals. His drop off in explosiveness has reduced both his volume and the effectiveness of his possessions. The latter is the main issue with his game and he is a liability unless this is fixed.

The way I see it, he will either go back to being a top line midfielder (with elite breakaway pace) or a C-Grade midfield plodder for the rest of his career. (He is not able to play any other position.) We don’t know if he will get his acceleration and power back to an elite level, but this is the only way he becomes an asset again. I have my doubts. What I do know is that no AFL team can be a premiership team with a C-Grade inside midfielder taking home 10% of our salary cap.

Ok so he is lacking acceleration and power, he can't break away from congestion and there has been a drop off in explosiveness based on your post. I agree.

We are also seeing him at record low time on ground.

Posters are reporting they think he looks a bit bigger this year. Some suggestions are he is carrying a few extra kgs of weight. Whether overweight or a bit heavier due to gym, it's an observation.

Since the middle of last year he has not had continuity of football or training. An extended stretch in hospital, injuries, limited pre season, more injuries, etc.

Yeah, he is having an poor year by his standards. We all agree on that.

Yeah he is having a middling year by AFL standards. He is probably still around abouts the top 75 players in the comp as per rankings etc. (424 play each week so that's top 18%). And yeah, that's not going to be enough to win a flag, you need top 10 and top 20 players to do that.

Maybe, just maybe, all of the decrease in physical attributes you are describing are a result of that lack of preseason?

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Didn't bother clicking on the link or watching the horrible show, but glad to hear it's the same nonsense drivel.

I have names.on my whiteboard too...

I mean to they are the names of the beers I've brewed and have talked but if I brew one and name it Clayton he is obviously coming to me by their logic.

• Clap 1

Clarry is not going anywhere.  With the right support and a solid pre season, he will get back to being a premier midfielder.  I’d also have a chat about the stupid little 2 metre handballs.  “Run and spread and kick” needs to get back into his game.  

• Like 1

You can bet the club is looking into the Oliver situation closely, no one in their right mind would be keeping a bloke on that much money for the output he’s giving.

Yes, his stats are ok compared to others but he’s not getting paid ‘ok’ money.

After 18 months of no return on investment, something has to give. It may even be from Olivers side to test the waters

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Don’t want Clarry to go and don’t think a move would be good for him. I haven’t bothered with this thread too much as Cornes comments that were the starting point for it were rubbish. Given up Clarry AND a good pick is just nuts. 

But weather we like it or not( and I don’t) this is starting to get a bit of substance to it with the Crows list manager more or less saying they were interested in Clarry and their first round pick reportedly up for grabs.

We also know that despite what the majority of fans seem to think about trading him it was the club who first put it out there last year that we were open to trading him.  

• Like 1

McLure and most of the media want us permanent bottom 4 playing 1.10 Sunday. We had the temerity to win a flag and finish the regular season top 4 three years in a row.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Colm said:

But weather we like it or not( and I don’t) this is starting to get a bit of substance to it with the Crows list manager more or less saying they were interested in Clarry and their first round pick reportedly up for grabs.

We also know that despite what the majority of fans seem to think about trading him it was the club who first put it out there last year that we were open to trading him.  

What substance? Just because dickweed states it 2 weeks in a row isn’t substance. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

What substance? Just because dickweed states it 2 weeks in a row isn’t substance. 

When you have a list manager from another club refusing to deny that they are interested it strongly suggest that they in the race.  Very easy and a lot more respectful for him to say “ he’s not one we are currently looking at”. 

• Haha 1

I'm no fan of Cornes or McClure but is it so impossible to imagine a Clarrie trade?

A recent precedent is Grundy to Melb for pick 27 (which went out into the 30's) with 5 years to run on a $1m+ contract and Coll picked up about $400k p.a.

Clarrie has 6 years to go on a $1m+ contract.  Grundy doesn't have the achievements of Clarrie but he was/is no slouch.  The Grundy deal would set the parameters for any potential Clarrie trade.

That is the logical me speaking. 

The emotional me 🥹says:  I want him to be well.  I don't want him to go.  I want him to be a demon forever.  I hope he doesn't go...

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Last year Clarrie sulked a bit about not being allowed to play, argued with Selwyn, left hospital when he shouldn't etc. 

Later Pert said in his Press release that Clarrie had to learn to respect club staff and teammates.  If he is sulking about starting on the bench and not liking his role that is neither showing respect for staff nor a team first attitude. 

Having said that I'm not going to hold any sulking' against him as he is a proud person and it could easily be the side effects of the ADHD medication. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1