Are we witnessing a re-build by stealth

10 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I came across this article from the SEN website that doesn’t seem to rate our young brigade at all. It puts us pretty close to the bottom of the pile - perhaps because they haven’t been looking closely at the way the club’s been travelling.

RANKING THE YOUNG CORES OF ALL 18 AFL CLUBS IN 2024

Just confirms the lack of journalistic talent in media today. 
They obviously don’t know the players or even seen them play. 
Probably written by AI. 
Interesting that they did acknowledge on the TV after the game that the Dees had 9 players aged 23 and younger. Against only 7 in the bombers side.

However, it looks like we actually had 11!!

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Yeah bizarre article for me.

11 of those were in our 23 this week. That's a super young team.

JVR, Kozzie, Windsor, and Rivers are all regular top performers and could be in that "star" category. Turner has unlimited potential as a young KPP at either end of the ground. 

Judd McVee, Bowey, and Sparrow, have all shown they are consistent AFL level players.

That's a core of 8.

Kolt has shown he can perform at AFL level but is a year or two away from breakout. Jefferson looks super promising at VFL level.

Thats 10 who are likely to have a good run at AFL level over the coming years.

For a club in the finals race, I'm pretty happy with our youth.

• Like 11
  • Clap 3

Scuse the French but , Live this F…..g bunch of kids.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I came across this article from the SEN website that doesn’t seem to rate our young brigade at all. It puts us pretty close to the bottom of the pile - perhaps because they haven’t been looking closely at the way the club’s been travelling.

Seriously overrates the Hawks, Crows, Saints & Bombers imo. 

Hawks top 5 listed: Day, Newcombe, Weddle, Watson, Ginnivan - I’d take Day and Newcombe keep the rest.

Crows: Rankine, Rachele, Michalanney, Soligo, Keane - I’d take Rankine (though Koz is better).

Saints: King, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera, Phillipou, Henry - I’d take King (JVR will be better) and Owens.

Bombers: Martin, Caldwell, Durham, Caddy, Perkins - I’d take Caldwell and Durham.

Our top 5 is as good as any on there and are still improving. Probably don’t have the depth of young talent as some of the genuinely better lists but we’ve been in the top 4 for 3 years which limits your drafiting.

Much better placed than that article suggests. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Kane Cornes works for SEN, I am not surprised.

• Like 1

I havent got the time to work it out but my gut feel is that we have been then youngest side in every game bar 2 (North and maybe one other, hawthorn?)....

Anyone know a quick way to work that out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I havent got the time to work it out but my gut feel is that we have been then youngest side in every game bar 2 (North and maybe one other, hawthorn?)....

Anyone know a quick way to work that out?

on average we'd definitely be older than those i would think

median age might be a different story

• Like 1

@jnrmacand @whatwhat say what

Footywire.com has average age and experience stats for each team for each match played (under the heading stats). I've found I need to use desktop mode to see them on my mobile.

A quick look indicates we are equal 7th youngest team in the comp this week, with the dogs, both at 25 years and 4 months. Below us is:

Freo 25 years 2 months

GWS 25 years 1 month

Hawthorn 25 years

North Melbourne 24 years 8 months

Adelaide 24 years 7 months

Gold Coast 23 years 3 months

About 6 teams were above 26 years on average I think.

Screenshot_20240714_184526_Chrome.jpg

Edited by deanox
This can vary week to week alot. Adding Melksham and Gawn last week bumped us up. Tomlinson, Brown or Hunter does too.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, DiscoStu17 said:

Just confirms the lack of journalistic talent in media today. 
They obviously don’t know the players or even seen them play. 
Probably written by AI. 
Interesting that they did acknowledge on the TV after the game that the Dees had 9 players aged 23 and younger. Against only 7 in the bombers side.

However, it looks like we actually had 11!!

Great journalism indeed.

Who'd have thought that GCS would have two players named Sam Clohesy, one is 21 years old and the other is 22. What an amazing coincidence... or maybe just very sloppy proof reading

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, deanox said:

Footywire.com has average age and experience stats for each team for each match played (under the heading stats). I've found I need to use desktop mode to see them on my mobile.

A quick look indicates we are equal 7th youngest team in the comp this week, with the dogs, both at 25 years and 4 months. Below us is:

Freo 25 years 2 months

GWS 25 years 1 month

Hawthorn 25 years

Love that we are matching teams for youth while carrying premiership experience in the side too

• Like 5
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

The article was originally written in December last year. They’ve lazily reposted for clicks without bothering to review any content that’s changed. They rate other sides based on last year’s draft but said our draftees can’t be counted because it’s effectively too early.

Think Windsor & Tholstrup would push our rankings up if the article was updated properly.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deanox said:

Freo 25 years 2 months

GWS 25 years 1 month

Hawthorn 25 years

Thx for that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanox said:

Freo 25 years 2 months

GWS 25 years 1 month

Hawthorn 25 years

thanks for this

i think the median would ultimately tell us more than average, potentially?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

thanks for this

i think the median would ultimately tell us more than average, potentially?

I think both are good measures to look at in tandem, neither tells you everything.

Median helps remove the effect of outliers (like a Brent Harvey or Goldstein), and is also likely to be more consistent week to week. So if you want to know "half the players are less than a certain age" then median is the stat.

Average puts more emphasis on those outliers, and tells you about that top end (given the bottom end is limited by draft age).

For example, two squads could have the same median age, but one might have a higher average age because it has a group of seasoned 250+ game players all over 30, whereas the other list has a lot of players in the 26-29 bracket.

Edit: a distribution graph is probably better. You want to keep the mode (or age with the most players) lowish so you don't risk falling off a cliff, but not too young that you're too inexperienced.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

On 28/06/2024 at 10:40, Colm said:

I believe I read in another thread that the player, club and AFL are all waiting on Sport Integrity Australia completing their investigation. 

Not a lot of integrity in dragging a case like this on for nearly a year, while the player misses a year and is a year older IF he is found not to have a case to answer.   Has it in fact been prejudged??

On 28/06/2024 at 17:20, Pennant St Dee said:

It’s going to end up taking the same amount of time as Junior Riolis did, nearly two seasons.

JS29s choice, poor life decision he bears the consequences and a line should be put through him

...allegedly.  Why should it take so long?

20 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

What an absolute joke of an article - as pointed out by another, the standard of journalism in general and sports journalism in this case is just so poor.

• Like 1

I feel like we're getting the mix right, before when we were running with the usual suspects of Billings, Hunter & co it just seemed that our older players were going through the motions. With youth and excitement, certain older players are getting the spark back.

Petracca getting injured, while obviously not good for the severity and because he's an amazing player, could be one of the things that propels RIvers into being a top line midfielder. JVR also looks to be stepping out from being the number 2 in the forward line (though Gawn's absence is halting that for a bit).

• Like 4

I don't know if I would call it a re-build because that implies that we have cut the list and we are giving young players a chance ahead of time. But our recruiting was good again last year and we have picked up some good AFL level talent with later picks in recent years.

Windsor, Pickett, Rivers, JVR and McVee are clearly going to be or are already excellent players.

Bowey is a good AFL player.

Tholstrup and Turner look extremely promising and I would bet they make it.

AMW, Howes, Woewodin and Brown have also shown they are chances to make it.

And Sparrow, Chandler and Petty are only 24.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, deanox said:

I think both are good measures to look at in tandem, neither tells you everything.

Median helps remove the effect of outliers (like a Brent Harvey or Goldstein), and is also likely to be more consistent week to week. So if you want to know "half the players are less than a certain age" then median is the stat.

Average puts more emphasis on those outliers, and tells you about that top end (given the bottom end is limited by draft age).

For example, two squads could have the same median age, but one might have a higher average age because it has a group of seasoned 250+ game players all over 30, whereas the other list has a lot of players in the 26-29 bracket.

Edit: a distribution graph is probably better. You want to keep the mode (or age with the most players) lowish so you don't risk falling off a cliff, but not too young that you're too inexperienced.

You may want to tag this post as NSFW for @binman's sake... this type of heavy statistical talk is likely to get him all hot and bothered 😄

The Herald Sun recognising the quality of our youth:-

EIGHT KIDS KEEPING DEES IN FINALS MIX - HERALD SUN ONLINE

• Jacob Van Rooyen, 21, who kicked four goals last week then was exceptional in the ruck against Draper.

Trent Rivers, 23, who has peeled off six excellent games in the midfield and has had 29 possessions in successive weeks as well as 15 total clearances.

Judd McVee, 20, who has had another excellent year as a miserly defender averaging 17 touches while kicking at 80 per cent efficiency.

Kysaiah Pickett, 23, who has kicked 12 goals in the past five weeks and 39 total score involvements.

• Wingman Caleb Windsor, 19, who has played all 17 games in a year that could be rewarded with the Rising Star and has kicked a goal in each of the past two games.

Koltyn Tholstrup, 19, who has played the last four games for five in total in his debut year and who has only two goals but seven direct score assists in that time.

Andy Moniz-Wakefield, 20, who has played three games as a pacy defender and is averaging six intercept possessions and 14 possessions.

Daniel Turner, 22, who has kicked 11.3 and seven goals in the past four weeks (three against Essendon) as another key forward prospect for the Demons.

• Like 15
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

On 14/07/2024 at 21:16, monoccular said:

Not a lot of integrity in dragging a case like this on for nearly a year, while the player misses a year and is a year older IF he is found not to have a case to answer.   Has it in fact been prejudged??

...allegedly.  Why should it take so long?

Absolutely disgraceful how long SIA investigations take in this country, though I suspect i was similar in the US which lead the big leagues to seperate themselves from USADA. 

The AFL really should do the same and have fixed/bracketed punishments for positive tests for illicit drug use. 

Narcotics first offence = 2 weeks (for example). Second offence would be more, with it getting really lengthy after 3 and maybe contracts torn up at 4?

Major League Baseball

image.png.ca0672d86901975b2df214e58c81c1d3.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_drug_policy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1