SOLUTIONS NEEDED. 2 JUNE 2024. Memo to Goody

10 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Nailed it. Harsh of Brown, he was esssential to the flag and is just serving out his contract but everything else is spot on. 

I was dumbfounded then and moreso now that not only we couldn't make Gawn/Grundy work but we gave up after 1 unsuccesful plan and (maybe) 12 games, in a year we finished top 4! 

The FD/club have done a lot right but that was an utter failure and it might lead to a Swans flag

I reckon BBB could have chosen to retire, and then take a new position within the club. He seems to be really interested in coaching the girls.

8 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Nailed it. Harsh of Brown, he was esssential to the flag and is just serving out his contract but everything else is spot on. 

I was dumbfounded then and moreso now that not only we couldn't make Gawn/Grundy work but we gave up after 1 unsuccesful plan and (maybe) 12 games, in a year we finished top 4! 

The FD/club have done a lot right but that was an utter failure and it might lead to a Swans flag

Money, egos, relationships etc, we couldn’t keep Grundy in the 2’s and there was little willingness for either Max or Brodie to make it work up forward. Had Grundy phoned it in or got injured we’d be on the hook for a lot of dough. 

Unfortunately we’re been punished for a lot of poor recruiting in not having our own home grown back up ruck. Apart from Jackson we wasted chances on finding guys. Verrall is an important guy for the future in having someone as a half decent back up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Otherwise it’s a matter of getting rid of expensive deals before we bring money back in. Brown, McDonald, Tomlinson come off the books this year, that’s our tall shopping.

plus brayshaw, regardless of what element holds over in the cap or not

that should be at least $2m of cap space

1 hour ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I suggest everyone give this a listen. David King hits the nail on the head about our game style. Saying Melbourne has had a case of identity theft was actually pretty funny and damn accurate.

The Stats don’t lie. Goodwin better not be stubborn on this one….

• Like 1

Interested to hear from someone with better footy iq- as to what has happened to our defensive zone? We were once a very good side at defending the ground. But last few weeks, sides are opening us up, even on slow plays. The West Coast game I remember the Eagles had a 3 on 1 from a kickin. 
Have we changed something to get a better turnover, or have sides picked us apart with kick handball and run? To me this is costing us as we just spend too many petrol tickets defending lose opposition. 
Sorry if this is covered already. 

Just now, SPC said:

Interested to hear from someone with better footy iq- as to what has happened to our defensive zone? We were once a very good side at defending the ground. But last few weeks, sides are opening us up, even on slow plays. The West Coast game I remember the Eagles had a 3 on 1 from a kickin. 
Have we changed something to get a better turnover, or have sides picked us apart with kick handball and run? To me this is costing us as we just spend too many petrol tickets defending lose opposition. 

Lack of defensive running/urgency. Refusal to get to the right spots and work hard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Vineys Anger Manager said:

How do you fluke a premiership?
25 games played. We won 20.5 games. Minor premiers. We won 3 finals by a combined 190 points. QF by 33. PF by 83. GF by 74. We did it away from home. It's one of the best premierships ever won.

It sure is. Any view to the contrary does the achievement no justice.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SPC said:

I think Freo’s pace bothered us, so our half backs were constantly confused as to whether to come up and congest/contest or hang goal side. 

Both games we’ve had Lever out, he so often makes the right choice on where to position and almost draws a forward back to him. 

But the biggest factor has to be the mids aren’t coordinated or working hard enough. And we are purposefully sagging one back a lot which should provide cover but in reality is only providing the other team room to work. 

The biggest thing against Freo that got them going tho was the awful turnovers that caught us way out in space. They are nearly undefendable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KLV said:

Of concern each trading period, is our inability to attract any serious free agent, we are not even in the conversation. Similarly, why aren't we trying to attract a big name still in contract? Interstate Victorians? We are never in these conversations. We have been in a premiership window, which should be attractive to free agents and homesick Victorians. Instead we are trying to get lucky with other teams' discards.

Stole my thunder … been saying this since the flag win yet we get nothing players classic example Schache who was a sub over Grundy in a final .. BB unfortunately knees are buggered why is he on our list??? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

We don't have players that can score. Look his in the forwardline. Petty can't catch a cold, McAdam not up to it, Chandler just a battler. ANB and Kozzy are playing midfield, Petracca trying to do everything. 

We haven't had the cash the last 3 years. Sucked up by signing long term deals with Oliver, Tracc & Angus. 

Won't be the case this year. Already lost Gus (surely paid outside the cap, resraint of trade that we don't at least know already if it will or won't), plus  Smith and will lose Brown & Hunter (on top of Harmes & JJ last year) 

Collingwood’s fwd line on Friday night, Hill, Schultz, Harrison, McCreery, Lupinkski & Frampton. 

Now compare our gameplan to theirs.

Yes McAdam needs to go back to the VFL.

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Billy said:

I think Goodwin has a fair bit to answer for

1. Harrison Petty, playing unfit after a serious foot injury, playing forward & gifting him games when he doesn’t deserve them. (This sends a terrible message to the whole list)

2. James Jordon/Lachie Hunter, this one still burns deep. Getting rid of a hard working 23yo popular teammate replacing with a slow 29yo with nothing to offer & a history of poor culture.

3. Brodie Grundy, was treated woefully, promised the world & given nothing. Goodwin gave up on this plan years to early & now we have a champion 33yo ruckman getting bashed every week with no backup.

4. Billings, McAdam, Shcache, BBB (these players shouldn’t even be on our list) none of them have any on field impact.

Not all of this is his doing, but the buck stops with him & then of course there’s the elephant in the room that’s been hanging around for 12 months 

If we beat Freo we would’ve been 3rd so he deserves a bit of slack, but if things spiral out of control for the rest of the season it should be time for a change at the top

To think that Goodwin had schache as a sub over Grundy in a final is laughable, billing’s & Hunter can’t kick yet we let Jordan go 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

BB unfortunately knees are buggered why is he on our list???

Because the way we got him to the club was a 4 year contract. He believes he can still play, cant force him to retire. I am sure he can still offer something, he's not the only forward to struggle in this team.

11 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

billing’s & Hunter can’t kick yet we let Jordan go 

He was a UFA (cos he was delisted and re-rookie'd) so he was able to pick and chose where to play this year, we wanted to retain him. 

Obviously signing Hunter to play wing limited some of the rotations on the wing and JJ found himself too low on the pecking order for midfield rotations. Don't think the club really made an error bringing in an actual wingman in Hunter. 

On paper he would have still been behind Petracca, Clarry, Viney, Brayshaw and Sparrow - so can't blame him for looking at other options.  Just a series of bad things has occurred since with the medical retirement of Brayshaw, Clarry issues and a regression (?) of Viney. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Poor comment?? Very fair unless you think Goody will win another 5 !!

Goodwin now has a place in Demon history with the '21 flag. When Smith started (coaching) the Dee's had already won four in the preceding ten years. Too many people quick to tear a man down.

Edited by bush demon
add "Coaching"
  • Like 2

I think we are in trouble, our inner player spy WCW. Has not spoken up for the players or offered a difference in opinion for pages and pages.  I think she must be very ill.  And if we do not have her insight then we are bereft of a insiders view of our club. 
and most of the posts have been along the lines how poor payer X or player y was it is. And she had not stood up for them, unless that’s what she thinks as well. 
oh well another week and another learnings.  Cannot see us winning on KB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I think we are in trouble, our inner player spy WCW. Has not spoken up for the players or offered a difference in opinion for pages and pages.  I think she must be very ill.  And if we do not have her insight then we are bereft of a insiders view of our club. 
and most of the posts have been along the lines how poor payer X or player y was it is. And she had not stood up for them, unless that’s what she thinks as well. 

WCW gets canned for defending the players most of the time and now that she’s not saying anything something must be wrong? 

A lot on here vent by wanting everyone sacked, constant bagging of recruits that haven’t even played a game, hell some even want binman traded. 
Maybe WCW is venting by just staying away for a few days. 

• Like 3

She takes losses very much to heart and would take no joy in critissising any player on here.

• Like 3

A  big part of the problem is also team selection .

We are playing guys that have shown no form whatsoever in the twos.

Petty, McAdam, Hunter etc..

it’s like we are living on hope

• Like 2

It has been a totally topsy-turvy season for most of last year's finalists. Sydney is the only team that has played consistent footy. Collingwood is struggling, Geelong lost by a huge margin against the Suns, then another three in a row, and Brisbane is in nowhere land, so take heart Demon fans - we are not Robinson Crusoes.

Yes, we have been hamstrung by losing Brayshaw and Smith - when oh when will that suspension be clarified - and Brown, Hunter, Billing, Macadam and Fullarton have not shaped up, and neither has the injury-prone Petty. The woes extend to Casey which has hardly been able to field a full-strength team due to Emergencies being sent interstate etc and a lack of available Listed players, but in the meantime, Melbourne has played some good footy this year as well. 

I haven't read most of the Woe is We stuff that has been posted: I simply note that there is a tendency among Demonlanders to always see any cup or glass as less than half full.  I also note that many here among you first stone casters, to coin a biblical phrase, seem to know much more about footy than anyone currently employed either as a coach or recruiter at the MFC. As they also say, life, and a season, is many days. Have faith and if things get awrier, then as they say in the navy, Sailor Vee...

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

39 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Heard on the Deebrief podcast that one of our star players wants out, just a rumour.

Thinking about it, if true, I can only see it being either Petracca or, most likely, Clarry.

All the other stars in our team are close to retirement or J Lever who surely will soon be the captain of this team.

I just hope those are just rumours and we can keep the core of this team together.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Heard on the Deebrief podcast that one of our star players wants out, just a rumour.

Thinking about it, if true, I can only see it being either Petracca or, most likely, Clarry.

All the other stars in our team are close to retirement or J Lever who surely will soon be the captain of this team.

I just hope those are just rumours and we can keep the core of this team together.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Kozzy Pickett.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Kozzy Pickett.

I didn't consider him, Fritsch I think no chance he leaves.

Didn't we re-sign Kozzy last year?

Clarry or Petty I’d say but Petty isnt a star