POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

2 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

That is a danger game too.

I'm thinking every game is a danger game from now on.

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hey Wheelo, when was the last time Geelong, Sydney or Collingwood lost by 90+?

Sydney lost to Geelong last year by 93.

Collingwood last lost by 90+ in 2015 to Richmond. But lost by 85 to Brisbane in 2021.

Geelong last lost by 90+ in 2014 to Sydney. But lost a certain prelim by 82…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

That is a danger game too.

Not until next year.

3 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

Just remember, everybody had excuses after the Swans game, the Lions game, the Carlton game, the Eagles game. Can't wait to hear them today.

Fremantle deserved everything they got today, we were hot garbage. 

Too many magnets being moved to cover weaknesses in the team have left us looking like a bottom 4 side.

Agree

we are not top 8 anymore 

unless the learnings are learnt 

terrible round 0, since round 5, we have beaten Richmond and saints and the cats who have done sfa since. They are gone for the year. 
this is a quantum waste of the talent we had. 
no point in training this week, they should go to a restaurant and thump each other,

at least there is a bond and spirit in that.

2024 is done, plan to bounce in 25, 

new coaches  and the strategy of picking players absolutely stinks.

how come we have Max winning hit outs but they do not get to our blokes. 
either he is no good of the midfield as a group is no good or the coaching and strategy is fu urked 

I do understand most of us feel this way.

i watched until the last minute, my darling does not understand me. (Another story. Joke)

you really can only laugh.  Looking at 3rd and percentage plus

now out of the 8 percentage  bottom 6 level

i do expect to win on the KB

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heart Beats True said:

It’s time for the club to become unsociable and show some toughness rather than increasingly focusing on the woke and feel good. 

Brrrrrrrrrrttrrrt

pray tell - how is the club woke? (Whatever that means now noting that there is now right and left wing woke and it’s become largely meaningless )

let’s get specific 

• Like 3

Goodwin kept mentioning “inconsistency” but leaves out the elephant in the room. It hasn’t been just playing  bad games, more like being completely uncompetitive in every department. We have been dishing up wooden spoon stuff in between solid performances. Something wrong upstairs, too much self satisfaction, arrogance and lack of respect for lesser clubs. D 

• Like 3

Just now, John Crow Batty said:

Goodwin kept mentioning “inconsistency” but leaves out the elephant in the room. It hasn’t been just playing  bad games, more like being completely uncompetitive in every department. We have been dishing up wooden spoon stuff in between solid performances. Something wrong upstairs, too much self satisfaction, arrogance and lack of respect for lesser clubs. D 

It's the non effort that be didn't call out 

• Like 2

As I turned the game off at 3/4 times I wondered to myself “How can Melbourne serve up this garbage in a game?”

ThenI thought to myself “That is very harsh on Garbage.” In this day and age of Wokefulness I have to express myself more correctly. 

So, let me be clear. That was the worst performance I have seen in the last 20 years. No qualifications, no excuses.THE worst performance in the last 20 years. That includes the infamous 186 game. At least at that time we had the excuse that we were sh**. I hope the whole club is embarrassed and hurting having served this up. I see this game as the nail in the coffin of the ‘tweaks’ we made to the game plan over the pre-season. It is clear that, either, the adjustments that were made are not working or we do not have the players to execute.

If it is the former then we need to revert to our game plan of last season. If it is the later then adjust the structures and plan to the players strengths. 

I have said this before and I will say it again...... play the players where they are best suited. Petracca in the midfield, Pickett as a forward, TMac as a forward.... Petty in the defensive 50.

Goodwin talks of the ability to reset. He and the coaching team need to drive a major reset of the team and the game plan  right now. Whatever the present game plan is, it is not working.

We have a list with individual talent, skill and footy smarts, it is clear to me that we are not getting the teamwork that is required to drive consistent confidence. I am a supporter of Goodwin but he and his coaching team need to respond. Take responsibility and take the lead.

This is looking like a wasted season unless we can turn it around immediately.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I can’t comment, you know that. 

Does that mean

that you cannot comment on something you know you know

or comment on something you don’t know that you don’t know . 

I think I am confused 

but as some one wrote 

Houston    We have a problem 

And if needs airing and fixing

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

Agree he owned it which was good to hear but why doesn’t he already know the ‘why’?

The references to digging deep to understand the why has me worried he n the coaching group really don’t know why … 

It sounded to me like players aren’t doing what they’re supposed to be doing and he doesn’t know why they aren’t - makes me think some have dropped their bundle or there’s something else going on. The list hasn’t suddenly got this much worse, there’s some not pulling their weight

• Like 3

Let's be honest we've only beaten lowly teams and those out of form at the time. Despite some flattering scorelines we've been pumped by the Swans, Lions, Eagles and now Freo. The outlook is bleak. How we are currently favourite to beat the Pies beggars belief. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hey Wheelo, when was the last time Geelong, Sydney or Collingwood lost by 90+?

Here is each team's last 90+ point loss:

Melb 2024 R12
WC 2024 R11
Rich 2024 R10
Ess 2023 R23
NM 2023 R7
Syd 2023 R6
Carl 2021 R22
GC 2021 R20
St K 2021 R10
Frem 2019 R16
Adel 2018 R10
Bris 2018 R4
Coll 2015 R21
Geel 2014 R11

GWS 2014 R10
WB 2012 R10
Port 2011 R21
Haw 2006 R11

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I really had my heart set on this group winning one more flag on the G so we could see it live , but alas it looks like I’ve got to resign myself to the fact it’s not going to happen.

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

One paced midfield and lack of kicking and handball skills pure and simple.

I think if you are being objective that is true on the whole. Their 1 wood ability to ensure first use of the ball is just so great that the lack of skills has been outweighed (Ollie’s hands in close have historically been amazing to be fair). Tracc and Ollie definitely have pace to burst away from packs, but I don’t think we’ve seen that this year as much as previous years. 

But this year we have seen them lose contested possessions and clearance which is what their strength is. Makes them much less damaging. 

That’s not to diminish what they can do or have accomplished, but I doubt there’s anyone that thinks of Tracc/Ollie/Viney and thinks sublime foot skills or blistering pace.

My son's under 14 team lost by 118 points today and that still wasn't the worst performance I endured. Well done MFC.

So how did we get here?

1. The coach is convinced he is the smartest person in the room and doesn't need to change anything at any time. And we reward him by extending his contract after consecutive straight sets finals exits.

2. We simply refuse to respect our opponents by attempting to counter their strengths, negate their key players or changing our tactics.

3. Jason Taylor has absolutely butchered three consecutive drafts. His obsession with drafting half forwards has left us with a list bereft of developing defenders and midfielders, let alone a genuine back up ruck.

4. We give multi year contracts to C graders like Spargo and Laurie, and resign players like Melksham who are neither part of the present or the future.

5. We play injured and unfit players every single week.

6. We pick sides on reputation - we don't reward good performances at Casey and we don't drop underperforming senior players (eg Sparrow and Petty). Hence we have a team of lazy, complacent footballers.

7. Speaking of Casey, we haven't genuinely supported the alliance over the past two years and it shows with the performances we are receiving.

8. Every single experienced player we have brought to the club since the grand final has made us worse. None of Hunter, Grundy, Billings, McAdam or Fullarton is/was a best 22 player.

9. We don't turn over the list enough to give us opportunities to draft young talent. Being out of the 2023 draft after the first round was a disgrace. We used to be the best in the business at finding talent with late draft picks.

10. We squander resources chasing 1 in a million prospects such as Farris-White and Bradtke who were never, ever going to make it. It was embarrassing watching KFW on Saturday.

11. We don't have a game plan that suits our playing list and we ask our players to do things that don't come naturally to them.

• Like 7
  • Clap 2

Just now, DeeZee said:

I really had my heart set on this group winning one more flag on the G so we could see it live , but alas it looks like I’m got to resign myself to the fact it’s not going to happen.

I realized that after losing to Brisbane on the ‘G

Because they are done, we should have smashed them to pieces, if we were serious. 
We were owned…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, poita said:

My son's under 14 team lost by 118 points today and that still wasn't the worst performance I endured. Well done MFC.

So how did we get here?

1. The coach is convinced he is the smartest person in the room and doesn't need to change anything at any time. And we reward him by extending his contract after consecutive straight sets finals exits.

2. We simply refuse to respect our opponents by attempting to counter their strengths, negate their key players or changing our tactics.

3. Jason Taylor has absolutely butchered three consecutive drafts. His obsession with drafting half forwards has left us with a list bereft of developing defenders and midfielders, let alone a genuine back up ruck.

4. We give multi year contracts to C graders like Spargo and Laurie, and resign players like Melksham who are neither part of the present or the future.

5. We play injured and unfit players every single week.

6. We pick sides on reputation - we don't reward good performances at Casey and we don't drop underperforming senior players (eg Sparrow and Petty). Hence we have a team of lazy, complacent footballers.

7. Speaking of Casey, we haven't genuinely supported the alliance over the past two years and it shows with the performances we are receiving.

8. Every single experienced player we have brought to the club since the grand final has made us worse. None of Hunter, Grundy, Billings, McAdam or Fullarton is/was a best 22 player.

9. We don't turn over the list enough to give us opportunities to draft young talent. Being out of the 2023 draft after the first round was a disgrace. We used to be the best in the business at finding talent with late draft picks.

10. We squander resources chasing 1 in a million prospects such as Farris-White and Bradtke who were never, ever going to make it. It was embarrassing watching KFW on Saturday.

11. We don't have a game plan that suits our playing list and we ask our players to do things that don't come naturally to them.

Where did KFW play and how did he go?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WheeloRatings said:

Port Adelaide lost by 92 points in round 8 2004 - one of three VFL/AFL teams to lose by 90+ points and win the premiership in the same season (Carlton 1945 and Essendon 1949 are the other two).

Phew, thank goodness. I thought we were in a spot of bother after that shellacking.

As an aside, how big is our game next week versus the Ferals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1