PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

48 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

It won’t and probably shouldn’t happen but we could have a midfield of Viney, Tracc, Salem, Sparrow with some ANB and Pickett rotations. 

Oliver has played a lot of bad quarters/halves, so many of his handballs go to no one and his kicks are worse. He’s rarely driving his legs though the contest and taking on tacklers. He’s still a long way from his best 

Over time I suspect  his absence hasnt seemed to effect results.

Your last paragraph is not so unusual imo

At his best though...An enigma

Is the weight of those premiership medals & the media hype of how good our midfield is that allowed an 18yo to push aside Trac & Oliver , I hope they have mirrors to take a good look @ themselves 

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Shaq K said:

We need an A grade midfielder in addition for a key forward. Viney is 30 now, and Petracca needs to go forward of the ball.

Sparrow isn't the answer, tries hard though. Pickett and Rivers are still young but top draft picks come and have instant impact these days

Even if 'Gus was playing I feel we may be having this issue. Need something extra/different in the midfield composition.  
Kozzie show flashes but need him forward defensive pressure as well so not a permanent solution. 

5 hours ago, layzie said:

The blowtorch is on the midfield this week. 

I don't know what they need to do, whether it's rotate Salo/Rivers or even Woey through there for a different look or just put a firecracker under the old firm's backside but we are quite far off it in that area. 36 inside 50s is appalling. 

Sparrow and Rivers - time for them to step up

Salem stays D50 and is the 'go to' kick to clear the zone and set up a forward entry

• Like 2

So I’ve tried to let the emotions of yesterday pass … 

out: lever 😫 and BBB

in: Langdon (if he is ok to play) and JVR (if he has fully recovered from concussion)

petty to go back in place of lever and to help max in the ruck if need be (I thought some of his tap work wasn’t too bad last night)

JVR straight swap for BBB

Langdon to patrol his MCG wings again and help us out with his defensive positioning and run 😊 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

It won’t and probably shouldn’t happen but we could have a midfield of Viney, Tracc, Salem, Sparrow with some ANB and Pickett rotations. 

Oliver has played a lot of bad quarters/halves, so many of his handballs go to no one and his kicks are worse. He’s rarely driving his legs though the contest and taking on tacklers. He’s still a long way from his best 

Agree still a way to go however he did get 124 SC points yesterday, so he stays in. No way we drop Clarry. A dominant game is coming up.

3 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

This is an excellent balanced summary.  What would you do with Oliver and Viney this week and beyond?  Imo, both are playing totally unaccountable football post stoppage (maybe instructed to). One week we are watching Cripps leisurely run past Oliver inside 50 then it's Kelly running around by himself yesterday for 40 minutes.   (Promisingly though Oliver really showed some old signs in the 2nd half, he really lifted around the ball). Viney is a liability with ball in hand.  I've been saying for a number of years that we've had issues with disposal (not earth shattering news) but the ONE thing we haven't done is change the players in the midfield.  The term forward 'comnection' implies two nodes. 

Would you be open to my boy Mcvee getting a run or just Bowey?  I think Pickett looks great in the centre square with his pressure but even when he breaks free it's 50/50 he kicks it correctly or makes the right decision.  (Apart from the fact he's really needed forward right now as much as possible. )

Sorry, but that's not true. This year we've added/tried Neal-Bullen, Salem and Pickett (for more centre bounces than in previous years). We've also tried Langdon nominally forward at centre bounces with Neal-Bullen on the wing.

As to my opinion on changes for next week, given the assumption that Lever will only miss one match, I can't really see how moving Petty to the backline for a one week stop-gap role will help him regain form. In my view, he should either continue forward and relief ruck (unless its not good for his foot) or play at Casey. Tomlinson should come in for Lever. Langdon should replace Billings, unless Windsor needs a rest. Van Rooyen for Brown is the only other change I would make. (If Petty goes out, I'd play Tholstrup for a bit more mobility forward of the ball and to give the kid more experience.)

5 hours ago, Dannyz said:

Is it any worse than Howes, Rivers (overrated kick), TMac or Billings? 

Worth a look IMO. 

Not opposed to him getting a go, just don't think it should be as a defender currently.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Young Angus said:

Another danger game I reckon, after this one just gone, Saints beating us would be the icing on this rancid cake.

Whatever happens just try something different for god's sake the other stuff obviously isn't working very well...and get that midfield firing properly I mean what the hell is going on there with those guys they are meant to be some of the best going round!!!???

Maybe the mid field was some of  the best going round for a couple of seasons .

It's probably not any more

Trac and Viney (in his own way) ,but the longevity of the Bont,Judd,Fyffe ,the Cats who were so good they must remain nameless on here ,were a cut above a couple of seasons of sunshine

Edited by IRW
  • Shocked 1

Out: BB, Lever, Billings

In: JvR, Tomlinson, Langdon

Could perhaps see Fullarton in if we want to revert to our 3 tall fwd set-up.

Wouldn't be surprised if Windsor needs a rest and Chandler looks to be struggling. Can see either Laurie or Tholstrup moved into the sub position and woey starting in the 22 as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Lever to miss the next 3 games with knee surgery according to Ch 7 news.

Well that sucks. Misses Fremantle and Collingwood as well as St Kilda. 

Time for Tommo?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Ok let’s say we drop Clarry. Who at Casey would come in and give you as good, let alone better service? 

I'd love to see them give a youngster a go Tholstrup or Laurie see what their made of. This could be a great statement by the club it doesn't matter who you are and what you've done. If you're not performing your out of the side.

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Sparrow and Rivers - time for them to step

Feels like we’ve been asking the former to step up for the last 2 and a half seasons.

Another of a long list of 12 possession little influence kind of games, last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roy11 said:

Even if 'Gus was playing I feel we may be having this issue. Need something extra/different in the midfield composition.  
Kozzie show flashes but need him forward defensive pressure as well so not a permanent solution. 

We lack a midfielder with composure / kicking ability. Doesn’t have to be a brute or usan bolt mk2. 

I also don’t think we can continue to play any 3 of Viney , sparrow, Trac and Oliver at the same time. 

Kozzy and Rivers  need to come into the mix.

There are two games this year where Tom Sparrow has recorded 0 centre bounce attendances, round 1 against the Dogs, following our R0 loss against the Swans, and Round 10 against the eagles, following our loss against Carlton.

Goodwin losing the faith?

• Thinking 2

16 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'd love to see them give a youngster a go Tholstrup or Laurie see what their made of. This could be a great statement by the club it doesn't matter who you are and what you've done. If you're not performing your out of the side.

But you’d also love to win games yes? 

Because dropping Clarry for one of those guys is, right now, making our team worse. 

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Nothing quite like losing to a bottom 4 team to get the Demonland traffic up and welcome a whole bunch of new posters 

eddie murphy enjoy GIF

Poster 24601 'likes' this

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Big body? He’s built like Tyrion Lannister with half the physicality.

Assuming Langdon is back we don’t need an experience wing for positioning, especially not one who isn’t winning the contests at Casey and is super slow.

What we need is more hard running, attacking the contest and quick ball use.

Its time to give Woewodin an extended run of games either at half back or as the third winger, rotate all of Windsor, Woey and Langdon across half forward for pace. Or if Woey’s back we use ANB as 3rd wing and play another mid forward.

Woey isn't a winger, i actually like him as a lock down back pocket.  

Hunter is 183cm and a nugget, we need footy smarts.  Running gets you nothing if it's to the wrong spots, and unfortunately our guys are not good at that.  If we coukd find another 2 Windsors id be happy!!  Im not asking for Hunter to get 20 and kick 2.  But if he has 15 and goes at 80% thats what we need atm.  Which is suppost to be what Billings is for

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Can someone please explain the following that arrived in an email from the club earlier this evening?

Clearly they are expecting a dismal crowd, but surely our game is on Sunday afternoon?

Are all reserved seat members happy to have a bunch of freeloaders in their area?

Saturday Night footy is best enjoyed with family and friends,
that’s why you should bring them to round 11.

Your complimentary guest pass sits in the MFC App
alongside your ticket.

All you have to do is open the app and scan your Guest Pass at the gate for your family or friend to enter the ‘G with you.

PLUS, you will have access to LEVEL 1 seating with your General Admission membership and Guest Pass.*

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Bloody frustrating Waterman pick 77 in 2016 and WC find a way to develop a fwd. Yet we can’t and try turning defenders into fwds. 

Fritta??