Jump to content

PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond



Recommended Posts

At the very least it will be in Kozzie out Salem.

Will have to seen who plays well at Casey. Depth is real thin.

I don't think Tholstrup and Woewodin are ready or at the level yet.

Petty, Brown, JvR and Fritsch hardly got near it but you have to perist with that group unless you want to substitute one of the talls for Fullarton (surely not Schache).

We need to work out what we're doing with Oliver. Get his hand right and stick him in the middle. If he's not fit, give him 6 weeks off and make him do a mini pre-season. If not that, play him through the middle for 60% and work his way up.

  • Like 8
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Kozzie has reflected deeply on the effect his absence has had on the team, and avoids any repetition of his indiscretions   

As above - out Salem, in Kozzie

Does Casey have a game this week, or is there another bloody bye?
No obvious promotions - would give the Kolt another week.  
 

How far off is Bowey?   

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's too early to make definitive calls, but I'll try anyway.

Pickett straight back in for Tholstrup. Was nice seeing his debut but he's not ready and shouldn't have played (not the first time we've got that wrong this year, we have to get better).

Presumably Salem misses. I actually liked Woey's efforts at half-back and wouldn't be against him getting a full game down there. But would be amazing if Hore was fit as he'd be the perfect replacement IMO (push Rivers up more and have Hore cover down back more).

Oliver can't play again with this level of impairment in his hand. If he hasn't improved sufficiently he has to be left out to heal and someone else has to play that role. But if that happens, our depth is going to be really tested as we just don't have the list depth in the middle.

Could see Hunter getting Billings' spot too.

Not sure what else we can do, other than dropping one of Brown or Petty and trying a different look. That might be easier when McAdam's fit but he will need time in the VFL first.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out: Salem, BBB, Woey

In: Hore, AMW, Pickett

FB: McVee May T Mc
HB: Hore Lever AMW
C; Langdon Rivers Windsor
HF: Chandler Petty ANB 
FF: Pickett Fritsch Petracca
Foll: Gawn Viney Oliver 
Int: Howes, Sparrow, JVR, Billings  
S: Kolt

Time for Rivers mid, Petracca and Sparrow forward more to provide the height.

It’s a young/inexperienced backline for sure but got to get run in the midfield a lot more athleticism in the forward line.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Do we have a vfL game in our bye week?

Hopefully yes

If so we have two weeks to decide
 

If history is any guide no. Our VFL draw seems to always be anti productive to the AFL one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

At the very least it will be in Kozzie out Salem.

Will have to seen who plays well at Casey. Depth is real thin.

I don't think Tholstrup and Woewodin are ready or at the level yet.

Petty, Brown, JvR and Fritsch hardly got near it but you have to perist with that group unless you want to substitute one of the talls for Fullarton (surely not Schache).

We need to work out what we're doing with Oliver. Get his hand right and stick him in the middle. If he's not fit, give him 6 weeks off and make him do a mini pre-season. If not that, play him through the middle for 60% and work his way up.

Petty needs a mini pre-season imho IF he's to ever get back to the form he displayed prior to injury last season.

Fullarton comes in to replace him for one or two matches during Petty's absence.

McAdam (assuming he makes it) for the remainder (or earlier if ready in preference to Fullarton).

Petty does his mini pre (roughly 6 weeks) then needs to knock the door down at Casey before any return.

We are effectively a man down with him playing at present he is that far off.  Not just in an attacking sense either.  His ability to pressure/tackle is nowhere near where it needs to be for this level right now.

I'd persist and bring in Joey (Woey) for Salem.

Moniz / Hunter competing with Kolt (for sub) but dependent on how they perform against Port.

Kozzie comes in for Kolt.

I'd also review where Clarry is at.  If it's just the finger and he needs these two weeks off to get it right, all good.  If it's more than that and some sort of fitness issue then we might need to put another mini into him a la Petty before he returns as well.

Problem is, who would you have come in to cover for Clarry during that time (if needed)?

Edit:  i just re-read your post and saw the Clarry pre-season suggestion.  A part i hadn't read prior to writing the above.  Seriously.   Uncanny!!  Thought i was reading my response to your post 😅

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, monoccular said:

I hope Kozzie has reflected deeply on the effect his absence has had on the team, and avoids any repetition of his indiscretions   

As above - out Salem, in Kozzie

Does Casey have a game this week, or is there another bloody bye?
No obvious promotions - would give the Kolt another week.  
 

How far off is Bowey?   

 

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Do we have a vfL game in our bye week?

Hopefully yes

If so we have two weeks to decide
 

Only one is this Sat against Port.  A bye the following week.  The AFL have completely torched the VFL scheduling and comp.

Bowey approx four weeks but might be one or two more if there's any setbacks and/or he may need a week or two to build up his tank via Casey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot about Billings.  Possibly Moniz for him if he hits the mark this week at Casey?

One of the most insipid performances i've seen in the red & blue last night.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With Salem and Bowey out and Hunter hopefully fit, I would explore pushing Windsor to half back to fill the high half back role and play Hunter/Langdon on the wings. Let's see how Hunter goes tomorrow and see if he is AFL ready. Windsor has the ingredients to play this role and his pace could be even more advantage at half back.

Woewodin looks better suited in the forward line and is not really quick enough or skilled enough to play the Bowey/Salem role. Would Woewodin be a better option up forward than Tholstrup at this stage. I think probably yes, but it is marginal.

I don't think Clarrie can play in the centre bounce until he gets his hand right. He is just a liability at the moment. Rivers did a good job in there and we need to explore that a bit more. If Rivers is designated more midfield minutes, AMW or Turner could be options to play in the backline.  Let's see how Turner goes tomorrow and see if he is AFL ready.

Brown has had 7 and 2 pressure acts in the last two games. He is a witches hat unless he marks the ball and really needs to kick at least 3 goals a game to be accretive. So far this year Brown has had two very good games (WB and Port) and three very poor ones (Hawthorn, Adelaide and Brisbane). I think we need to go smaller in the forward line and rely on Petty, JVR and Fritch as forward targets because our game relies on pressure.

Tholstrup got a tough introduction but, with 17 pressure acts, he was equal 5th for us in that stat last night. This is a good sign for the future. 

Kossie will obviously be back.

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

With Salem and Bowey out and Hunter hopefully fit, I would explore pushing Windsor to half back to fill the high half back role and play Hunter/Langdon on the wings. Let's see how Hunter goes tomorrow and see if he is AFL ready. Windsor has the ingredients to play this role and his pace could be even more advantage at half back.

Woewodin looks better suited in the forward line and is not really quick enough or skilled enough to play the Bowey/Salem role. Would Woewodin be a better option up forward than Tholstrup at this stage. I think probably yes, but it is marginal.

I don't think Clarrie can play in the centre bounce until he gets his hand right. He is just a liability at the moment. Rivers did a good job in there and we need to explore that a bit more. If Rivers is designated more midfield minutes, AMW or Turner could be options to play in the backline.  Let's see how Turner goes tomorrow and see if he is AFL ready.

Brown has had 7 and 2 pressure acts in the last two games. He is a witches hat unless he marks the ball and really needs to kick at least 3 goals a game to be accretive. So far this year Brown has had two very good games (WB and Port) and three very poor ones (Hawthorn, Adelaide and Brisbane). I think we need to go smaller in the forward line and rely on Petty, JVR and Fritch as forward targets because our game relies on pressure.

Tholstrup got a tough introduction but, with 17 pressure acts, he was equal 5th for us in that stat last night. This is a good sign for the future. 

Kossie will obviously be back.

I'm definitely open to pushing Windsor behind the ball more, particularly now that we're down both Bowey and Salem (good kicks x 2). I'm also very much in favour of pushing Rivers into the middle more but without Bowey and Salem, that robs us of so much run. Hence the Windsor move, which as you say then opens up a spot for Hunter. Goodwin alluded to this as an option in his mid-week presser, when asked about how Hunter gets back into the side, so I reckon it's a reasonable chance of happening.

Brown and Petty were both bad last night, albeit at least Petty has the excuse of having Harris Andrews as his opponent. On last night's evidence one should be dropped, but the principal problem last night was the belting we got in the middle. When we have been strong in the middle, Brown's presence forward has been very important for us. I think we need to cut him and Petty some slack for last night.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I forgot about Billings.  Possibly Moniz for him if he hits the mark this week at Casey?

One of the most insipid performances i've seen in the red & blue last night.

Just flat out not good enough from him last night. 3 in a row deserves a Casey stint. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

 

Only one is this Sat against Port.  A bye the following week.  The AFL have completely torched the VFL scheduling and comp.

Bowey approx four weeks but might be one or two more if there's any setbacks and/or he may need a week or two to build up his tank via Casey.

Does having an injured collarbone/shoulder affect fitness? Shouldn't Bowey be able to maintain his fitness level during his recovery?

I'm going to presume last night's performance was an aberration and assume wholesale changes aren't required. The forwards can hardly be blamed for not getting near the ball when the midfield was so soundly beaten. However, if it's possible, I'd like to persist with Rivers in the midfield. He's got pace, defensive skills when needed and unlike a lot of our midfield is capable of kicking on either foot. He's the perfect Brayshaw replacement.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

In: Pickett, BBB

Out: Salem, Hore

 

 

Umm...am I reading this right? A player who is not playing last night should be dropped and a player who did play last night is to be promoted into the team? Or is there a joke here I'm not getting?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

In: Pickett, BBB

Out: Salem, Hore

 

 

I think there’s a typo there. BBB out. Hore in. Agree. BBB cooked.

Edited by M_9
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Does having an injured collarbone/shoulder affect fitness? Shouldn't Bowey be able to maintain his fitness level during his recovery?

I'm going to presume last night's performance was an aberration and assume wholesale changes aren't required. The forwards can hardly be blamed for not getting near the ball when the midfield was so soundly beaten. However, if it's possible, I'd like to persist with Rivers in the midfield. He's got pace, defensive skills when needed and unlike a lot of our midfield is capable of kicking on either foot. He's the perfect Brayshaw replacement.   

Webber would be handy to ask about the collarbone issue.

I can only guess that in the early stages you may not be able to pound the turf as such and that might be where the setback is that then requires a stint of 'catching up' to get back to required fitness levels.

No doubt there are other aerobic alternatives but at the end of the day this game is mostly about being able to cover the turf over and over again, especially the role he plays.  So you need to get a certain amount of Kms into the legs.

Entirely agree on not putting much blame on the forwards last night.  However Petty looked pretty cooked for mine and to have him and BBB in the same forward line, where both are a fair bit off their optimum levels (and BB unlikely to ever get back there) can't be a good thing surely?

P.S.  Agree Rivers is a must to bring in to the middle for decent stints.  He's a significant step up from Salo.  Hopefully Goodwin woke to this last night.

Turner or Bowey can come in and play the Rivers role once theyre fully fit and finding some form at Casey.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I think there’s a typo there. BBB out. Hore in. Agree. BBB cooked.

@Demonland Would it be possible to have a constant window with our injury list/availabilities somewhere on the front page of the site?

It’s a bit of a P.I.T.A having to go and look for the Injury List thread, then scroll through that to find the latest post from the club. 

Anyway, for anyone else thinking Marty Hore is an option, he was listed as 2-3 weeks away, last Monday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the most recent list for all the would-be team selectors. Expecting a fresh one soon with Salem’s report  

IMG_0456.jpeg

Edited by Mel Bourne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 275

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...