Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Gabba Olympics Saga

Diamond_Jim

6 hours ago, Deebauched said:

I was shocked when i heard Brisbane got the Olympics in 2032. 

Obviously there were no other serious bids.   Absolute insane waste of money for a 14 days athletics meet.

There will be cost blowouts (corruption) on the multiple stadia and facilities needed  not to mention soccer and baseball tournaments  ffs.

No way Brisbane can afford the cost.

The Federal gov will be pressured to bail them out financially.

Dont be surprised if you all end up paying for major stadia infrastructure in Brisbane.

Theyre scabs in QLD. Watch them like a hawk. They'll want you to pay for it.

Brisbane……….The Geelong of the North.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

You mean you're not looking forward to watching Australia crush Tonga in lawn bowls SWYL?

Hahaha! No not really. After Roy and HG’s “The Dream” everything else felt a bit pale..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

U haven’t been to Brisbane lately have ya Dee. 

Brisbane is a lovely city Ox. What I meant though is the Brisbane Lions like Geelong benefit from playing out of a heavily tax payer funded stadium. Hence the Geelong of the north comment.
 On a side note. Like Geelong, Brisbane also has its fair share of 6 fingered, banjo playing, sister shagging rednecks who may or may not go by the name of Zeke, Jethro or Jed. 

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

Brisbane is a lovely city Ox. What I meant though is the Brisbane Lions like Geelong benefit from playing out of a heavily tax payer funded stadium. Hence the Geelong of the north comment.
 On a side note. Like Geelong, Brisbane also has its fair share of 6 fingered, banjo playing, sister shagging rednecks who may or may not go by the name of Zeke, Jethro or Jed. 

I don’t think Brisbane or Geelong are the only govt funded stadiums in the afl. Don’t get me wrong I hate Geelong but my point stands  

On ur second point, those in glass houses……….

11 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Something tells me you’re a lefty and you don’t like it when anyone has an opposing view to yours. Ok.. not toxic. A communist dictator then. 

I generally like your content ET, but this is surely going too far? Several comments now attacking the former Victorian premier, all of them purely right wing nutter talking points. Dictator, communist, etc.

I really couldn't give a rats about anyone's political views, but this isn't allowed on this site is it? So can I please request, with all due respect, that you pull your [censored] head in!?!?!

And for the love of god, stop watching Sky news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Olympics are now just ego traps for Governments. Politicians doing favours. 
He sure wasn’t perfect, but i am glad Andrews curtailed the Commonwealth Games before he left. Now they are a complete waste of time…

Andrew’s fooled the public with his constant and consistent lies whilst in office. He is the most corrupt Victorian Premier in history. You should stop watching the news, social media or anything news related with your values on corruption. 

Regional Victoria are paying the price all because Andrew’s wanted to win an election and buy votes. 

(now eagerly awaiting a typical SWYL slogan fluff piece response) 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

It isn't appropriate to discuss political figures on a footy forum.

But now you have started, in 5 decades following politics in Australia...Dan was the worst leader we produced. By far. We will pay for a long time.

Did more damage to Victoria than the rabbit.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

... and voluntarily retired from politics, consequently relinquishing power ... very dictatorial.

Surely he should have followed Morrison's excellent example right?

• Love 1

In the light of the Princes Park lockout for last weekend's AFLW final there's talk of the need for a 30k stadium.

Strikes me that Kardinia Park is a perfect solution. Docklands is too big and soulless for a crowd of say 25k.

Speaking of Docklands the AFL have gone very quiet on their plans to upgrade the inner city stadium

41 minutes ago, Ben said:

Perfectly good if you’re able-bodied. My understanding is it’s terrible if you struggle with stairs.

As I understand it Ben the Gabba is starting to show it's age and as the main showpiece stadium in the state requires a refurb at the very least. If, as some on here have said, that 80% of the infrastructure required to host the event already exists it makes me wonder where the money is going? They don't even have the cost of bribing IOC officials this time around as nobody else put their hand up to host in 2032. 

5 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

Andrew’s fooled the public with his constant and consistent lies whilst in office. He is the most corrupt Victorian Premier in history. You should stop watching the news, social media or anything news related with your values on corruption. 

Regional Victoria are paying the price all because Andrew’s wanted to win an election and buy votes. 

(now eagerly awaiting a typical SWYL slogan fluff piece response) 

Wow. That was a response. The biggest problem is that the Victorian Liberals have been totally unelectable for many years. I never said i was a huge Andrews fan. But i am glad he stopped the Commonwealth Games. They are a complete waste of time.

ALL POLITICIANS BUY VOTES  

Do you think “Windscreens O’Brien” would have done a better job?

Andrews is a shifty bastard, no doubt and i will never forgive him for the 2 years of Lockdown, but he also built a lot of infrastructure around Melbourne, that previous governments of both sides didn’t have the balls to do  and still more needs to be done  

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

The big problem with the Gabba is that the location is really too tight for a modern stadium.

Thats why they have to knock the whole thing down and rebuild over the course of 4 years.

I know we love inner city stadiums and they are great but if you actually had transport and hospitality options in a more suburban location you could easily have a great stadium there.

The smarter and cheaper option would be to start again with a new stadium in a location with more room rather than a 4 year shut down. 

Dictator Dan rolls off the tongue pretty well 

I give Dan credit for the level crossing removals which were funded by the sale of the Port of Melbourne 

ibac operations Daintree and watts revealed the inappropriate influence of ministerial advisors and the corrupt use of office staff to perform party political work - which is akin to dictatorial / one party state stuff

when challenged Andrew’s said he was accountable- every 4 years - which I think is pretty cynical 

getting this back to football- the degree of indebtedness of the State makes it highly improbable that any support for a MFC HQ has a snowflakes chance

oh for the days when the Treasurer Allan Stockdale was a dees man!

Geez, what a pile on.

As a Brisbane resident, I say bring on the Games. 80% of the venues already exist with only 4-5 needing to be built so the overall infrastructure build is actually pretty light on.

I agree the Gabba rebuild is a lot of money, but its bloody needed. The stadium is falling apart and has lost cricket test matches due to that, and needs to be done up whether the Games are coming or not. A complete rebuild was a bit of a surprise but it will make it the best equipped stadium in the country and will provide transport links that are missing at the moment.

The boutique stadium for the Lions/Heat at RNA also makes sense as the RNA will be used for the Equestrian at the Games. It'll be used every year for the annual EKKA event as well as adds more capacity around the inner city for sports event, festivals and concerts. I do think the State Government should be chipping in more for it though given the displacement of the Lions/Heat from the Gabba.

But re: the comments about using Metricon, both the Lions and Heat themselves flat out refused that option. And Springfield isn't even in Brisbane and would need a tonne of works to upgrade it also.

All in all, both the Gabba rebuild and RNA stadium are needed and will provide legacy benefits well after the Games. The actual dollars are a lot I know, but so is everything these days. Definitely reckon the pros outweigh the cons.

My two cents anyway. Just thought some perspective needed perhaps. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demon Spofforth said:

Geez, what a pile on.

As a Brisbane resident, I say bring on the Games. 80% of the venues already exist with only 4-5 needing to be built so the overall infrastructure build is actually pretty light on.

I agree the Gabba rebuild is a lot of money, but its bloody needed. The stadium is falling apart and has lost cricket test matches due to that, and needs to be done up whether the Games are coming or not. A complete rebuild was a bit of a surprise but it will make it the best equipped stadium in the country and will provide transport links that are missing at the moment.

The boutique stadium for the Lions/Heat at RNA also makes sense as the RNA will be used for the Equestrian at the Games. It'll be used every year for the annual EKKA event as well as adds more capacity around the inner city for sports event, festivals and concerts. I do think the State Government should be chipping in more for it though given the displacement of the Lions/Heat from the Gabba.

But re: the comments about using Metricon, both the Lions and Heat themselves flat out refused that option. And Springfield isn't even in Brisbane and would need a tonne of works to upgrade it also.

All in all, both the Gabba rebuild and RNA stadium are needed and will provide legacy benefits well after the Games. The actual dollars are a lot I know, but so is everything these days. Definitely reckon the pros outweigh the cons.

My two cents anyway. Just thought some perspective needed perhaps. 

Hi Demon Fred Spofforth - Out of interest - Brisbane still needs that boutique rectangular stadium - where would that sit on the priority queue?

12 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Hi Demon Fred Spofforth - Out of interest - Brisbane still needs that boutique rectangular stadium - where would that sit on the priority queue?

Well, that's a matter for the rugby codes and soccer. I'm a footy and cricket man 😀

But given a boutique (approx 20K) rectangular stadium isn't needed for the Games, I'd say its lower on the priority queue.

In the end, footy and cricket will be the biggest beneficiaries of the Games due to the new Gabba.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wow. That was a response. The biggest problem is that the Victorian Liberals have been totally unelectable for many years. I never said i was a huge Andrews fan. But i am glad he stopped the Commonwealth Games. They are a complete waste of time.

ALL POLITICIANS BUY VOTES  

Do you think “Windscreens O’Brien” would have done a better job?

Andrews is a shifty bastard, no doubt and i will never forgive him for the 2 years of Lockdown, but he also built a lot of infrastructure around Melbourne, that previous governments of both sides didn’t have the balls to do  and still more needs to be done  

Spoken like a true ABC man. So I gather you will boycott all things Dan the Man or anything that has his grubby hands on? 

Btw, the Comm games was providing these regional areas the infrastructure they desperately need. Roads, housing, sporting facilities, business etc etc  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Btw, the Comm games was providing these regional areas the infrastructure they desperately need. Roads, housing, sporting facilities, business etc etc  

If they need these things then it is perhaps better to target the delivery. The big bang approach represented by the old style Olympics/Comm Games is extremely inefficient at doing so. The temporary swimming pool was straight out of Rob Sitch's Utopia.

Optus Stadium in Perth reportedly has the highest build cost per seat of any stadium in the world. (It was built in competition with the mass building of mining infrastructure.) The Gabba rebuild cost per seat looks like being even higher

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

Spoken like a true ABC man. So I gather you will boycott all things Dan the Man or anything that has his grubby hands on? 

After the Comm Games finish, the shoddy infrastructure would rust out and become overgrown 

it’s a 2week con. I don’t understand your stance on Andrews. He was an excellent Politician, but I wouldn’t want want to do business with him personally.. but he did bring Melbourne into the 21st Century 

• Like 2