Jump to content

Harrison Petty


Demonland

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

That is the worst kicking for goal I have seen from him, he is usually a pretty good kick for goal.

I think he will be in our team next year.

I wish I shared your optimism Mr Leg. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Melb16 said:

Yeh I wonder if they mean when he plays forward? 
 

He’s clearly played more than 7 games since R10 2023.

that's what i was thinking as well. Not sure he played 7 games forward for us yet though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sydee said:

Jefferson was just ok and nothing more - I made the effort to actually watch that game on replay as I’d read the comments in the match day thread about him performing well

His direct opponent was a very raw defender who frankly looks like he might struggle to make it 

Jefferson’s kicking for goal was bordering on embarrassing and he constantly kept running too close to the man on the mark (such a basic and fundamental mistake). I saw little from him in terms of intensity and physicality to give me any more than a glimmer of hope. For me he still sits in the category of talented junior that performed well at times against kids but may never transition to an AFL player

We have seen this type of player before - Weed and Schache two recent examples on our list - hopefully I’m wrong but I do have serious doubts that he has what it takes 

he is a good kick normally. Give him some time. Go watch Pettys first game at AFL level, worst kicking you'll ever see. Terrible game too. Let them get some experience and confidence. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

Ralph changed his tune the other night and said Petty is more likely to stay now.

One of them will be right.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

 

5 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

How often has Cornes been wrong recently? He is just very fond of making things up as he goes along.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adelaide may have to cough up a top 5 pick for him. They may not be willing. Good chance for us to put forward a 4-5 year contract and show our commitment and belief in him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

He also said Kosi was gone. He says a lot of [censored]. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Adelaide may have to cough up a top 5 pick for him. They may not be willing. Good chance for us to put forward a 4-5 year contract and show our commitment and belief in him.

a top 5 pick would be tempting if they threw in their seconder rounder as well.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

he said the same about pickett this time last year too

31 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Adelaide may have to cough up a top 5 pick for him. They may not be willing. Good chance for us to put forward a 4-5 year contract and show our commitment and belief in him.

two first round picks please - one for every premiership he'll have at the mfc at the end of 2024

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kane Cornes might hate the Crows but he’s thinking that the home town pull might get Petty to Adelaide.  


Dees have the do our very best to retain him.

 As a key forward or key defender, he’s hard to replace.  At 24yo, he’s best could still be ahead.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Kane Cornes might hate the Crows but he’s thinking that the home town pull might get Petty to Adelaide.  


Dees have the do our very best to retain him.

 As a key forward or key defender, he’s hard to replace.  At 24yo, he’s best could still be ahead.  

I imagine we have already done our 'very best' - merely general exposure daily to our culture, the people and the relationships.

If he still needs convincing, he is not the right person for the club - and that in of itself - is absolutely fine, when we as a club (or us as people) meet someone where they actually are 'at' for all the valid emotional decisions they make at any given point in time.

I'm a lover of Ange - here is a recent link to a press conference - a few days old,  about the perceived need for Tottenham to make the Champions League (coming at least 4th, potentially 5th overall in the premier league) and how that allows a cash injection, as well as signals to potential athletes that Tottenham are now worthy of being recruited to.

It's about the players wanting to be at the club, irrespective of where the club is at position wise...

I'd have the same approach to any athlete pondering coming or not coming (or staying) at the MFC...

 

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I imagine we have already done our 'very best' - general exposure daily to our culture. If he still needs convincing, he is not the right person for the club - and that in of itself - is absoulutely fine when we as a club (or us as people) meet someone where they actually are 'at'.

I'm a lover of Ange - here is a recent link to a press conference - a few days old,  about the need to make the Champions League (coming at least 4th, potentially 5th overall in the premier league) and how that allows a cash injection, as well as signals to potential athletes that Tottenham are now worthy of being recruited to.

I'd have the same approach to any athlete pondering coming or not coming (or staying) at the MFC...

 

Winning creates opportunities…

The MFC must keep building every year. 
You can still recruit top line players from inside the Top 4, we need to pay our recruitment staff a high wage and expect high returns. 
Look at how many 50 game players Jeelong bring in each year, ready to go

Tge MFC needs the same mindset 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

Must keep him. He is a decade rock we cant afford to lose. 

Surely we can organise a side deal with Ashley and Martin or Advanced Hair.

  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Winning creates opportunities…

The MFC must keep building every year. 
You can still recruit top line players from inside the Top 4, we need to pay our recruitment staff a high wage and expect high returns. 
Look at how many 50 game players Jeelong bring in each year, ready to go

Tge MFC needs the same mindset 

I understand your desire to see Melbourne keep 'building' and attract top talent. It's definitely a key to success, like how Richmond rose to dominance through strong internal development. To be honest though.. I'm not sure explicitly what you mean by' keep building...'

You  and I both know that winning the premiership every year is impossible and so is the feted dynasty once you've won one.

Melbourne's been a top 4 team for several years now, building a strong foundation. However, the AFL is cyclical. The draft and equalisation measures ensure a competitive balance, making sustained dominance very challenging. And players and coaches know that... (that' you'll be up for a max of 4 years and then drop)

With Geelong's (perhaps Sydney and Brisvegas) unique situation, their success isn't solely based on attracting top-tier talent from elsewhere. They've nurtured their own young players brilliantly, similar to what Richmond achieved. Melbourne has a talented young core too. Focusing on their development alongside strategic acquisitions, not just a rigid "build" mentality and keep winning is the path to longer sustained success or at least competitiveness (see Geelong).

However, the AFL landscape is complex. While recruiting from within the top 4 is ideal, it's not always feasible. Salary caps, player loyalty, and a limited player pool, especially for Melbourne teams, make it tougher. Geelong's position is unique,  their strong culture and geographic location can be very attractive to players, creating a situation most Melbourne teams can't replicate.

So, essentially, focusing solely on "building" can be restrictive. Sometimes, strategic acquisitions from outside the top tier can be the missing piece. Melbourne should prioritize getting the most value out of their draft picks and develop them. They seem to do that well... and like all clubs, some are hit and miss (and how much falls on the selection policy, vs the player or development structures remains to be seen)...

Ultimately, the right player will want to be at Melbourne, regardless of their current team's position. Building a strong culture and competitive environment attracts talent (that it exclusive to premierships)

 

pps... your demands on the recruitment staff... it's a bit old school don't you think??

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

 

If you went to the effort of creating this graphic and it is factually incorrect that is an uncool waste of everyones time. It is is a very odd thing to do or a very lazy thing to do. Which is it?

Hahahaha chill out Wizard mate you reckon I spend my weekend making footy statistic graphics? It’s come from Fox footy’s ‘the round so far’ , got a problem with it send them an email champ 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I understand your desire to see Melbourne keep 'building' and attract top talent. It's definitely a key to success, like how Richmond rose to dominance through strong internal development. To be honest though.. I'm not sure explicitly what you mean by' keep building...'

You  and I both know that winning the premiership every year is impossible and so is the feted dynasty once you've won one.

Melbourne's been a top 4 team for several years now, building a strong foundation. However, the AFL is cyclical. The draft and equalisation measures ensure a competitive balance, making sustained dominance very challenging. And players and coaches know that... (that' you'll be up for a max of 4 years and then drop)

With Geelong's (perhaps Sydney and Brisvegas) unique situation, their success isn't solely based on attracting top-tier talent from elsewhere. They've nurtured their own young players brilliantly, similar to what Richmond achieved. Melbourne has a talented young core too. Focusing on their development alongside strategic acquisitions, not just a rigid "build" mentality and keep winning is the path to longer sustained success or at least competitiveness (see Geelong).

However, the AFL landscape is complex. While recruiting from within the top 4 is ideal, it's not always feasible. Salary caps, player loyalty, and a limited player pool, especially for Melbourne teams, make it tougher. Geelong's position is unique,  their strong culture and geographic location can be very attractive to players, creating a situation most Melbourne teams can't replicate.

So, essentially, focusing solely on "building" can be restrictive. Sometimes, strategic acquisitions from outside the top tier can be the missing piece. Melbourne should prioritize getting the most value out of their draft picks and develop them. They seem to do that well... and like all clubs, some are hit and miss (and how much falls on the selection policy, vs the player or development structures remains to be seen)...

Ultimately, the right player will want to be at Melbourne, regardless of their current team's position. Building a strong culture and competitive environment attracts talent (that it exclusive to premierships)

 

pps... your demands on the recruitment staff... it's a bit old school don't you think??

I demand high standards from everyone within the Club. 
We all know what failure was like. 
There is no need to bottom out. Particularly with 2 new teams coming in. 
Good Players have to be traded whilst the still have currency 

You cannot have all your stars retire at the same time

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I demand high standards from everyone within the Club. 
We all know what failure was like. 
There is no need to bottom out. Particularly with 2 new teams coming in. 
Good Players have to be traded whilst the still have currency 

You cannot have all your stars retire at the same time

Thanks for your input as always @Sir Why You Little 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

For what it's worth Kane Cornes today while commenting on the football said he would be surprised if Petty stayed at Melbourne.

He was pushing the Kossy to Port before he signed for us Kane has NFI

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BDA said:

a top 5 pick would be tempting if they threw in their seconder rounder as well.

During the same report that Ralph said Petty was likely to stay at the Dees, he said Adelaide are keen to trade in a player and that their first two picks are on the table. I think they have a F/S pick this year that is likely to go in the first round so they will be happy to trade out their first couple of picks and bank a lot of late picks for points. 
If Petty doesn’t resign we have another death ride. 
Really hope he signs soon 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought I read somewhere that he attended the Casey scratch game on the weekend - if true it isn’t really something I’d expect from a player with one foot out the door 

I really hope he stays as I believe he is very important to our structure in the next 4 to 5 years 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BDA said:

a top 5 pick would be tempting if they threw in their seconder rounder as well.

Unless we were guaranteed of picking up a gun key fwd with that pick then it’s a no, Petty I think is only 24 currently.

We are still very much in our window this year and next. We’ve managed to find some great players in recent times with either later picks or rookie drafts. While May & Gawn are still out there we must go all out for another flag if not 2.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Redleg said:

That is the worst kicking for goal I have seen from him, he is usually a pretty good kick for goal.

I think he will be in our team next year.

I do agree, his kicking was embarrassing, actually air-ball'd a couple of the kicks from inside the 50...definitely need to work on that Jeffo.  I just want to see him do well, he was our first pick dammit I want to believe he will get to senior level.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TROUBLE by The Oracle

    Situated roughly in Australia's geographic centre, Alice Springs has for many years been a troubled town suffering from intermittent crime waves, particularly among its younger residents. There was a time a little while ago when things were so bad that some even doubted the annual AFL game in the town would proceed.  Now, the hope is that this Sunday’s Melbourne vs Fremantle encounter will bring joy to the residents of the town and that through the sport and the example of the participants,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

    With the Melbourne Football Club's first pick in the 2024 AFL Mid-Season Draft and pick number 11 overall the Demon's selected Western Australian key forward Luker Kentfield from Subiaco.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 205

    TRAINING: Tuesday 28th May 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin returned to the training track to bring you the following observations from Gosch's Paddock this morning. Beautiful morning for training. The dew has dried, out from AAMI, quiet chatting. Maysie does his heart symbol. 7 in rehab, Turner, Hore, Sestan, BBB, Petty, Spargo and Schache. All in runners. Melky weighted and change of angles work. Salem has his individual program. White cap (no contact), Howes, Woewodin and Sparrow

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    GALLANT by KC from Casey

    The world “gallant” is not one that is readily acceptable to losing teams in our game of football so when it was used in the context of the Casey Demons’ loss to Sandringham in yesterday’s match at Casey Fields, it left a bitter taste in the mouth.  The Demons went into the game against the St Kilda affiliated Zebras with the advantage of playing on their home turf (not that this has been a major asset in 2024) and with very little else going in their favour. The Saints have close to a full

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    MEANWHILE by Whispering Jack

    … meanwhile, at about the same time that Narrm was putting its feet on the accelerator to obliterate the long-suffering Euro-Yroke combination, I heard someone mention in passing that Kuwarna was leading Waalitj Marawar by a whopping 46 to 1 halfway through the second quarter of their game over in Adelaide. “What is football coming to?” I asked myself.  In front of my eyes, the Demons were smashing it through the midfield, forcing turnovers and getting the footy to their forwards who w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 12 vs Fremantle

    The Demons head back on the road for the fourth time this season as the travel to Alice Springs to take on the Fremantle Dockers at Treager Park on Sunday afternoon. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 199

    PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    Captain Max Gawn has a considerable lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Saints. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 54

    POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    After a very wasteful first half of footy the Demons ended up cruising to a clinical victory over the Saints by 38 points at the MCG and ultimately reclaimed a coveted spot in the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 401
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...