POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

10 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

This is the play that symbolised the last quarter. One team just wanted it more. 

Doug Bigelow the former Bomber and ABC commentator when describing the great Robbie went with 'Flower Supreme' many moons ago

Amongst my circle, the comment stuck

And what we saw from Rivers was quintessential Robbie Flower ... exalted company

Dash, dare and the driving kick forward.  Magnificent

• Like 5
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Macca said:

Doug Bigelow the former Bomber and ABC commentator when describing the great Robbie went with 'Flower Supreme' many moons ago

And what we saw from Rivers was quintessential Robbie Flower ... exalted company

Haha yeah - in that Doug Bigelow voice - in the background 

• Like 1

The way that we won is the kind of thing that can inject that elusive and unquantifiable factor that makes success happen.

The self belief that we will win can’t be artificially created any way other than on the field, as Jack, Jake, Trent, Max, etc. showed us on Friday night.

That feels profound, as did our last round win in 2021.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Stiff Arm said:

Big shout out to Joel Smith.

Makes the most of his limited opportunities, keeps putting his hand up, great versatility. 

Every time he goes for the ball I get flashbacks to the old man

Should've come on as soon as Petty's back went.

Yes Stiffy It was painfull to watch him in distress for 5 minutes waiting to be subbed 

Why the delay??

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Macca said:

But see here's the thing deevs, Spargo's value is in big games with his delivery into the forward 50

We haven't seen it lately but that's his best asset, not his goal scoring acumen

With our stars on fire and with our middle level players at their best, Spargo can nip in from 60m out with a 15-25 metre pass to a forward who can create separation. Can you picture it? 

That's what he does when all the stars align

I agree 100% re Spargos delivery.  Am on record for praising it. Always finds a player. The issue for me is he's not getting the ball enough and struggles to kick a set shot more than 35 at present. Would love to see him lift.

• Like 8

Just pointing out without Track and Oliver, in the middle  lesser lights JJ, Sparrow with Brayshaw and Viney are getting the job done.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Watched the Melb bit on The round so far on afl app and they show behind the goal vision of the Melksham mark and what is brilliant about it is Langdon comes down into nearly the goal square making Gunston man him up which meant no spare defender for the Lions. 
Huge non stat play. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

6 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Watched the Melb bit on The round so far on afl app and they show behind the goal vision of the Melksham mark and what is brilliant about it is Langdon comes down into nearly the goal square making Gunston man him up which meant no spare defender for the Lions. 
Huge non stat play. 

Just watched it Gorg, stuff that doesn’t get seen or noticed at the time. Brilliant by Lingers and you can see Gunston pointing to get someone else to come down to man up on Langdon  so he can go loose again.

2E6DE44E-9F35-47B3-BBC3-6DAA25855CB0.thumb.jpeg.2e5d3d5b3625cd241486e417cb305995.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

19 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Just watched it Gorg, stuff that doesn’t get seen or noticed at the time. Brilliant by Lingers and you can see Gunston pointing to get someone else to come down to man up on Langdon  so he can go loose again.

2E6DE44E-9F35-47B3-BBC3-6DAA25855CB0.thumb.jpeg.2e5d3d5b3625cd241486e417cb305995.jpeg

It was quick thinking and the sign of a team that thinks for themselves on the field. We got nuts when they don't do these things so full credit that we did on this occasion.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kev martin said:

Melky has now cemented his name in the 22. Looks like a rejuvenated man, his dream of playing in a GF, if we get there, is alive. That is, if consistency is his friend.

I also reckon he is important with regards to his relationships with our younger brigade. He would have helped steered them through their growth and have been supportive, during the Casey time. Knows there strengths and weaknesses, and possibly, he is helping to keep them grounded, professional and having an impact. 

I just love the passion in those celebrations after a goal!! He gets the crowd involved and undoubtedly lifts the team. Momentum is everything in this game. Whilst those celebrations are a small part of the game, that passion is contagious.

• Clap 1

8 hours ago, Macca said:

[censored] Rivers was determined in that play, rolling through the Brisbane players like tenpins 👏, evasive run and superb delivery, just brilliant.

Edited by Boots and all
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Macca said:

When Rivers did those runs through the center I had a flashback to Steven febey

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, Demonland said:

How good are weekends when you win on a Friday night?

Amazing the impact it has. I might even get stuck into some of those jobs around the place I have been neglecting the last few weeks (Months)!! Feeling positive and inspired.:)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

So, the crowd figure last night was a H & A record between us and the Lions.

Need to share this on Twitter for the clowns who are obsessed with our attendance figures. Without fail there are tweets about our supporters not showing up and/or MFC not “deserving” prime time games because of our attendance. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

11 hours ago, Macca said:

The May push in the back? Surely you're not going to complain about that blatant indiscretion? It was a hefty shove

No Mac, my point is directed to the inconsistent use of the rule depending on ....i haven't got a bloody clue what, and just in this round really pronounced.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, Wilson7 said:

Jake Melsham makes the haters look silly

You are correct and I have been a detractor . On another note I’ve read  criticism of ANB and Jordon. IMV , for this match anyway, the criticisms are unfair. Both got it, a lot, in v tough circumstances . The odd disposal error but they were good value. Interesting that Jordon was preferred on the ground, in the last 10 minutes to Sparrow 

• Like 5

After thinking about it imo Vineys goal is the best one of the game for me. 

His strength in the contest against a much bigger and stronger player, his will to get the ball and determination to kick for goal was enormous in the context of the match.  

He may not always hit targets by foot but bloody hell I love him and am so grateful he is on our side. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

23 hours ago, Demon4ever said:

Listening right now to him. I wonder if he got any sleep last night. It was so good to see Milkshake stand tall when we really needed him. 

Don't forget Melk's Carlton game last year when he took an enormous pack mark against 4 Blues and kicked a goal with 2min left. Gets forgotten because of Kozzie's miracle goal a minute later to win the match. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

After thinking about it imo Vineys goal is the best one of the game for me. 

His strength in the contest against a much bigger and stronger player, his will to get the ball and determination to kick for goal was enormous in the context of the match.  

He may not always hit targets by foot but bloody hell I love him and am so grateful he is on our side. 

He also got the last vital clearance.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, deegirl said:

Need to share this on Twitter for the clowns who are obsessed with our attendance figures. Without fail there are tweets about our supporters not showing up and/or MFC not “deserving” prime time games because of our attendance. 

We also lost 5-10,000 to the Matilda’s 

• Like 5