Dees Potential Draft Play to Secure Pick #1

Demonland

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Let’s wind the clock back two years and ask yourself whether you would rather have:-

• Nick Daicos (taken at pick 4) OR

• Mac Andrew (5), Neil Erasmus (10) and Angus Sheldrick (18)

Your answer please.

How the heck did the clubs below pick 4 not nominate Daicos, regardless of being a certain Pie? Blind freddie could see he was the best in the draft. Shifty deals?

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Let’s wind the clock back two years and ask yourself whether you would rather have:-

• Nick Daicos (taken at pick 4) OR

• Mac Andrew (5), Neil Erasmus (10) and Angus Sheldrick (18)

Your answer please.

What about Rachelle, Amiss & JVR instead...!

• Like 5

I mean this was just a hypothetically that Cal was throwing out there for discussion.
We already know that if there’s a player that we think is good enough we are happy to be very aggressive in trying to trade up. 
What I love about this is that our draft hand is so strong we are genuinely in with a shout of grabbing one of the highest ever rated No 1 picks. 
A lot of water to pass under the bridge before the draft and there’s bound to be a few that shoot up the boards. 
I think we will end up with at least one and hopefully two elite talents out of this draft. Thanks Freo 👍🏻

• Like 2

What about using the picks to chase a mid 20s established gun? 

Sam Taylor from GWS would be a great get for Freo’s 1st and our F2. Unlikely to happen but the kids a AA FB lock at 23 and will slot in nicely with May and Lever and allow Petty to really develop his forward craft. 

• Like 6

iirc we have traded our future first for every year except, fortuitously for 2019 (and last year).

2019 was a truly sliding doors moment:  We ended up 17th with pick 3, took Jackson, won a premiership and that pick 3 is now Jefferson, pick 5-7 and pick 23-25.  Oh, and did I mention we won a premiership with the aid of that pick 3:cool:

Lots of good came from that 2019 slide down the ladder.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

I trust Taylor and Lamb. They have the runs on the board.

5 +18 +18 would be a steal for pick 1

simultaneously, they also have the runs on the board to nail 3 first round picks.

Tough one

• Like 1

If Hawthorn or West Coast end up with Pick 1 they maybe interested in obtaining more 1st round picks, I would be surprised if North would trade it. 

Or If by the Grace of the Gods Fremantle end up finishing last :)

• Haha 1

Happy to go hard for elite talent, but 3 picks for one player seems too much for me.

Taylor and Lamb know what they are doing, so I am very relaxed watching how they play this out.

The main issue for me, is how long will our current window last? I call it the Gawn window, because when he retires, we will probably lose May, BBB & TMac won't last as long as Gawn, and Viney will possibly have a shorter career because of the way he plays. Trac, Oliver, Salem, Lever et al... will be nearing the end of their careers. So, this Gawn window is open for another 3-4 years. Our recruiting at the end of this year has to be about the post Gawn era.

For that reason, I prefer NOT to go after a single player, but prefer 2 or 3 top 20 players who can be part of the next generation.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Colm said:

I mean this was just a hypothetically that Cal was throwing out there for discussion.

He sure knows how to create 'click bait'!!!

I guess that is the go now; the AFL know that trade and draft time is the highest 'click' time at the end of the year.

Now they are garnishing that all year round with hypotheticals.  Sheesh!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

iirc we have traded our future first for every year except, fortuitously for 2019 (and last year).

2019 was a truly sliding doors moment:  We ended up 17th with pick 3, took Jackson, won a premiership and that pick 3 is now Jefferson, pick 5-7 and pick 23-25.  Oh, and did I mention we won a premiership with the aid of that pick 3:cool:

Lots of good came from that 2019 slide down the ladder.

And we snaffled a 2 x AA ruck to replace Dogga for about the same coin as we would've paid him!

cosmo-kramer-seinfeld.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Reid is a special young player , totally different to a Nick Daicos or Will Ashcroft. He has natural aggression. Intensity.

He wants to win contests and thrives at the contest. How this translates to playing against men and not boys is something to consider.

And what’s he’s best position?. He’s like a more aerobic and agile Jake Stringer.  Forward. Back. Inside Midfield.  Yet to be determined. Perhaps a Multi purpose player.   Utility?!?!?!

I’m a fan if we gave up 2 picks but 3 is a stretch aka a huge gamble.  

Only 1 of those picks is likely to be top 5 and the other 2 15-18 so it’s not much of gamble, we will still have freos 2nd pick which potentially is only a few down from our own 1st this year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

If Hawthorn or West Coast end up with Pick 1 they maybe interested in obtaining more 1st round picks, I would be surprised if North would trade it. 

Or If by the Grace of the Gods Fremantle end up finishing last :)

Could you imagine! haha that would be the greatest draft win in history.... would that make Reid the first number one pick to join the premier? 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Reid is a special young player , totally different to a Nick Daicos or Will Ashcroft. He has natural aggression. Intensity.

He wants to win contests and thrives at the contest. How this translates to playing against men and not boys is something to consider.

And what’s he’s best position?. He’s like a more aerobic and agile Jake Stringer.  Forward. Back. Inside Midfield.  Yet to be determined. Perhaps a Multi purpose player.   Utility?!?!?!

I’m a fan if we gave up 2 picks but 3 is a stretch aka a huge gamble.  

Does he have speed?  Can he genuinely play outside?  Is he an elite kick?

Even if he was the next Oliver or Petracca (as an example) - would that be what we actually need for our window (next 5 years)?  I think the main weakness for us is the outside class in the midfield - we've improved on last year but when I watch the pies or sydney (when on song) they've got a lot more elite ball users running through their midfield.

I just find it hard to understand trading 3 first round picks in a super draft - history shows that there's always hype around one player and they rarely end up as the best player in the draft.  I like the idea of getting best available with first pick, JVR's brother and then a smoky with the highest ceiling.   But I'm not Jason Taylor

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Happy to go hard for elite talent, but 3 picks for one player seems too much for me.

What if someone told you that player will be the next Oliver? The next Dusty? The next Petracca? 

Sometimes you have to take risks when you're wanting elite talent, and we are in the position with our list where we can take those risks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

What if someone told you that player will be the next Oliver? The next Dusty? The next Petracca? 

Sometimes you have to take risks when you're wanting elite talent, and we are in the position with our list where we can take those risks.

Clarry and Trac are still only mid 20’s, we need to complement them rather than find another version of them. 

Imagine how good Nick Daicos would be for us being fed by Clarry, Trac and Max

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Clarry and Trac are still only mid 20’s, we need to complement them rather than find another version of them. 

Imagine how good Nick Daicos would be for us being fed by Clarry, Trac and Max

I only used those two as an example of elite midfielders.

We definitely need to find another elite midfielder to complement them, especially with Viney getting older.

• Like 3

We are in a great spot with our list But as previously mentioned we need more outside class to compliment our AA midfield group, we topped up on talls last year this year has to be quality tall mids.!!!

• Like 2

I don't mind the idea of getting 1#, and Harley certainly sounds good, but who does he replace in the team in the short term? 

I have always preferred the Moneyball approach having said that. For me, whatever Taylor ends up doing is ok. He knows all. 

Edited by Smokey
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, rjay said:

We will get an A+ grader at our first pick.

Not necessarily.  High draft picks don't guarantee anything.  There's been plenty of high picks that ended up being "C" grade players 

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

Three high picks for an apparent unicorn?

Dockers/Bell say hullo...

(p.s. @Lucifers Hero: Just noticed your avatar update. 'Our Boy', then?)

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, beelzebub said:

If the Dees did that they'd have shown they've/we've learnt nthing.  And that's simply not the case. I actually think we're among the more savvy and wiley in this league.

Segway ...for a moment.  The introduction of the 19th club... The Devils ( not sure how i feel about that....the name ...lol ) With they're being ushered in comes 3 or 4 years of seriously compromised drafts.

This years draft and maybe next are our chance to snap up and bank some talent before the well goes dry.

You're not going to load up and throw all at 36Red ... no no no

I sense we will fanangle a creep up the positions..but highly doubt an 'all in' 

That for mine would be daft

There is no place for devils and demons. The slightest hint of compromise between Port and Pies nearly caused WW3

• Like 1

Highly doubt we are in with a realistic shot at Reid unless Freo really fall off a cliff and hand us a top 3 pick. Even then, Hawks are tanking hard and the logical reason would be that they have their heart set on Reid.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Highly doubt we are in with a realistic shot at Reid unless Freo really fall off a cliff and hand us a top 3 pick. Even then, Hawks are tanking hard and the logical reason would be that they have their hearts set on Reid.

Eagles will finish last I reckon.

• Like 2