PREGAME: Rd 07 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Did Rivers hurt his leg? Looked lame in his last horrible turnover kick then subbed off? Fritsch and Hibberd both had ice on their feet in the rooms post game too  

Wouldn’t be surprised to see May “managed” with a sore calf, maybe Turner in. 

Spargo will miss and I’m pretty sure we won’t see Brown or McDonald after the Casey loss.

Thought it was just cramp

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

We will need to manage some players, but Hibberd has just come back in. He plays a vital role on mid or small forwards.

He was excellent at winning the ball but used it like he was drunk last night, either way, at his age he shouldn’t play 5 day breaks. There’s 17 weeks left to build some consistency. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Out:

Hibberd (rested)
Hunter (rested)
Petty (rested/sore)

In:

Turner
Spargo/Laurie
Schache

We have to play as a squad on a short break. Petty looks like he can barely move at times.

Fresh legs and managing veterans are important. 

Nice DS but would play Harmes in the Hunter role.  He's ready to go imv and ideal for this type of 'managed' scenario.

Harmes is a solid runner, decent link up player and strong in the contest.  He is also good with hands.  Average to ok by foot.  Not that strong overhead.  Very similar to Hunter imo.

30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He was excellent at winning the ball but used it like he was drunk last night, either way, at his age he shouldn’t play 5 day breaks. There’s 17 weeks left to build some consistency. 

You don't drop an important defender after just coming back from a break. He's not "tired" to need "resting".

He had 23 disposals (12 contested) and kept Cumberland quiet after he kicked three early goals.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We will make hard work of this next game, we need Brown back. You cannot win finals with one tall forward IMO. As well the other teams know how to beat us now some are just not up to doing it because of their personnel. I expect we will make the finals but some big improvements are needed to give the flag a shake. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Out:

Hibberd (rested)
Hunter (rested)
Petty (rested/sore)

In:

Turner
Spargo/Laurie
Schache

We have to play as a squad on a short break. Petty looks like he can barely move at times.

Fresh legs and managing veterans are important. 

Disappointed bbb was goaless and Tmac with only one in the magoos.

A spot for one of them but they didn't really take their opportunity. 

Doesn't bode well.

I feel like the magical work of our Demonland track watchers will go a long way to helping discern the team this week. I’d say we are looking at 3 changes, based solely on the thinking that we didn’t rotate enough last year. Harmes and Laurie both seem ready to go. Disco looked really good again at Casey. Schache might come in if Grundy feels tired. Dunstan is in if any insiders need a rest.

Either way I don’t mind any of the changes. We all felt like we needed to take a squad mentality into 2023. So let’s see it in operation.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, einstein251 said:

Luke Dunstan had 48 touches at Casey on Sunday. Surely deserves a promotion?

He does but ahead of who? He’s a clearance player. That’s his shtick. Do you want to drop Viney, Clarry or Trac for him? 
He’s also really one paced. Sparrow has a lot of speed which is why he gets a game. If Dunstan comes in it’s at the expense of JJ at the moment. I rather give the 23 year old a game personally. 

• Like 3

All I recall is playing North R10 last year.  They did all they could to hurt our players. 

We won, going 10-0, but were so beaten up, our season went down the toilet from then on. 

Maybe we need some battering rams against them this time.  Keep Hibbo, is Schache tough enough?   Rest some niggled players (May?). 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

15 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Did Rivers hurt his leg? Looked lame in his last horrible turnover kick then subbed off? Fritsch and Hibberd both had ice on their feet in the rooms post game too  

Wouldn’t be surprised to see May “managed” with a sore calf, maybe Turner in. 

Spargo will miss and I’m pretty sure we won’t see Brown or McDonald after the Casey loss.

Imperative BBB or Shakey Attacky play forward and Petty goes back

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

He does but ahead of who? He’s a clearance player. That’s his shtick. Do you want to drop Viney, Clarry or Trac for him? 
He’s also really one paced. Sparrow has a lot of speed which is why he gets a game. If Dunstan comes in it’s at the expense of JJ at the moment. I rather give the 23 year old a game personally. 

I would have Dunstan ahead of J.J

His form at Casey has been phenomenal

54 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I would have Dunstan ahead of J.J

His form at Casey has been phenomenal

JJ is a very neat user of the bill and versatile. Dunstan isn’t. 
If we want to keep JJ we need to play him. Dunstan is insurance for Viney. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

I think we simply have to rotate players the next three weeks. Geelong would do it and still win, we might do it and drop a game but we can’t smash our stars and expect different results to last years fade-outs and then season fade-out.

But cue the nuffies who will jump on here and talk about ‘of course we didn’t play well Melksham/Dunstan/Harmes/TMac/Schache/BBB/insert name here played!1!1!1!’

• Like 9

Forward line still needs work. Last year Mcdonald was injured and Weid failed = end of season.

What is the answer... Petty's forward craft is atrocious.. He rarely if ever gets separation on his opponent. Down back he's a very good footballer

Down back I wish we had given Laurie some VFL time down back as he could provide relief for Bowey

North will come at us like Essendon did. Midfield dominance is the key not to mention denying them the corridor

Should be an easy win and in the scheme of things means little.... A loss on the other hand

• Like 5

Some decisions to weigh up.

Do we rest someone like May? He looks completely off and proppy. Could bring in a Turner and move Petty back to take Larkey.

Spargo will obviously come in. I think Jordon will unfortunately have to miss.

Does Schache come in as the extra tall forward? Was the carry over emergency and form alone in the VFL is so far superior to what Tmac and Brown dished up on Sunday.

Then you have Harmes and Dunstan who could come in fresh legs, but again it'll be a matter of who's sore off a 5 day break.

• Like 3

Well..    

A few ducks and drakes to be had here.

Lets start with what might seem the glaringly obvious issues.

Who stole May's favourite toy ?..  Give it back ....he's worrying about something.  We've seen in the past the club will play him half-dead ...but he's a few years older...  he needs a freshen up..( badly )

Come on down.. Disco .... Here's an opportunity to dance your dance.

Harry Harry Harry...   sometimes we need to just play to our strengths and not reinvent wheels. Harry ...youre a very VERY good backman...and fits well into the "backline up "  That's where you belong.

Roo boy is fab...   it's far too early in his career to have him carry the can. He needs experienced help. The first choice would, in the not so distant past,  be Brown. He's sore, out of form...( a consideration maybe ) .. Tmac... his function is often misunderstood.  He's quite a pivotal forward link not just a kpf...  but...but... he's way off ideal currently...   still looking for experienced players who CAN impact. We're running thin now.  Josh me lad...  grab this game...shake the tree... take the heat off Roo...  bring your A game.

Kozzi Kozzi, maaaaate....   need to bring your game back to earth...   the wax is melting.

This IS a game to do two essential things.... play OUR footy...but with a bit more verve and intensity..    

and go back to mixing it up especially on kicking out. We started the year ( preseason and such ) confusing and stretching oppositions by NOT setting up with the LEFT hand kick alone...we're falling back into many bad habits. 

Im happy to swap out Bowey ..especially this game. Laurie perhaps ....

An advantage of playing Tmac was/is he can pinch hit in the Ruck. In playing the Shack he can do similar...  easing up the load on both Max and Grundy . That's not Roo boy's role. 

This wont be a shoo in . We need to respect all teams, and especially wiley coaches. But this isnt playing the Pies.

We can take a half step back , reload .

Goodwin has already admitted we're still experimenting in a fashion.

This is a good game to revisit ideas and players.

• Like 5
  • Love 2