PREGAME: Rd 05 vs Essendon

Demonland

32 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Cannot see a role for all 3 of JVR, TMac and BBB. One has to miss

Goody in his presser today said we sure can play all 3 when the question was asked. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

could see a few changes

Lever... rested

Petty back

Someone for Hibberd

Melksham forward if wet or as sub with Jordon in the starting line up

Cannot see a role for all 3 of JVR, TMac and BBB. One has to miss

A pity Laurie has not been trialed down back as well as up forward. A swinging flanker could be a very useful back up. Same for Jordon... could he replace Hibberd occasionally?

I think there is a role for the 3 of them. We have been playing 3 talls with Petty so bbb comes in and Petty goes down back.

Tmac seems to have recaptured  some of his old form and Bbb managed 8 goals in our first 2 games.

Not accusing you but I feel Bbb is much maligned.

If it's a wet night then maybe a smaller fwd line would be better.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

I hope they start using the sub to rotate our lesser players. We are coming off a short break and also back to back road trips this week.

"Squad mentality" means rotating and not playing your best 22 every week. This approach gives us the chance to experiment, develop and freshen up over the course of the season. We obviously then will pick our best 22+1 in September and probably also on the big 8 point games.

Jordon should definitely come into the 22 this week, with one of Sparrow, Spargo, Chandler or ANB getting a turn as sub. (Or we could go smaller with Brown not selected and Petty going back to replace Hibberd.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Goody in his presser today said we sure can play all 3 when the question was asked. 

I think we definitely prefer 3 tall forwards, usually two forwards and a resting Grundy/Gawn. I think if we get nice weather we’ll go with BBB, JVR and TMac moving Petty back. However, this week if it is wet as forecast I think BBB stays out and JJ comes into the squad with either Melksham, Laurie or Dunstan as sub. Three tall forwards, three tall backs and a ruck is too top heavy for the wet, assuming Lever gets up of course. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

The weather in Adelaide will suit Jordon just sayin....

Jordon should play not just on ability, but he should be the designated stop the Redmond/ Stringer play on outside the 50 metre arc, along with Kozzie of course. This will probably occur more than once in this game as TWSNBN like to shorten up their passes just  short of FMA because of the ability of these two. The maggots wont stop them with less than 15 mtr passes because they are too dumb to expect it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Also, I’m not sure that the quality of the competition or product would be diminished. 
Sure, it’d feel unfair that your wage went from $450,000 to $200,000 but that $200,000 would beat $110,000 in an office, $65,000 in a factory and $200,000 fly in fly out working a 60-80 hour week.

I think it would be a great thing to see the decline of capitalism in AFL for the betterment of society. I’m not talking pushing ‘causes’ because of the good optics - I’m talking about the direct impact that gambling has inter generationally.

What about your good self? Would you be prepared to pay more? 

I agree. Although I think fair restrictions on gambling advertising (keep away from kids, keep to a limit per ad break, minimise cross promotions) hardly means slashing earnings that drastically.

I also think players could be given a guaranteed 10 week block off per year, with a maximum of 25 hours work in preseason and in season closer to 30 per week. 

That time can be dedicated to studying or work experience for life after footy. There’s no reason why footy has to be some mammoth earner. It should be a head start not set for life.

I don’t think making footy less commercial means fans pay more. I actually think it would be the opposite. Take the commercial focus away from the game and clubs become clubs again. Members and attendance should be the main drivers of revenue not tv money. If fans go back to being the backbone of the game they’ll get treated as such and the average punter will get a return for their ticket, and those who pay more will be very appreciated. 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/10/2023 at 12:28 AM, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Who should mind Stringer?  Perhaps Hibberd might have been an option if not injured.

With Hibbo out I reckon May would get the job. He would own the air while having the speed and strength to go with Stringer when the ball hits the deck. This would mean Petty to play in the backline and Ben Brown up forward. Alternatively if we wanted to free up May for more of an intercepting and attacking role then Petty could be given the job on Stringer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This has nothing to do with what SA want. They get a free hit. 

This is all blanket broadcasting against The NRL

Maybe. If SA gets sufficient revenue to compensate them for the alleged $10 million payment it made to the AFL for the privilege. I imagine most of that revenue will be from tourism although I suspect there's likely to be an increase in business revenue as well from things such as conferences and trade shows which I assume are being held in Adelaide this week to coincide with Gather Round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBDee said:

Woo Hoo man?? Don't think I am but not sure who he/she is?

20 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

A very good friend of mine (former DL-er who went by the name Skuit/Skort) has a brother who until recently worked in the A/V department of Adelaide Oval. He discovered the woo hoo man’s identity. Turns out it’s a cameraman who has worked at AO for many years. He always works when we play there. No one there knows if he’s even a Dees supporter. They just know he loves a Dees goal. 😀

⬆️ This explains the tale of the Woo Hoo man, who woo hoos at every Dees goal at Adelaide Oval. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Thanks, Kev!  I got really interested in deciphering the state differences for broadcasting and then remembered it means nothing to me since my sharehouse only has a digital TV (and so Kayo only) 😅

I think there are apps you can get for the digital TV which allow you to watch free-to-air live. Certainly there are for the ABC and SBS, but I have never tried it personally for the commercial channels.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

I think there are apps you can get for the digital TV which allow you to watch free-to-air live. Certainly there are for the ABC and SBS, but I have never tried it personally for the commercial channels.

Yep I have the 7 app from back when the Olympics were on but tbh have no interest in most of the guff on commercial channels so I have no idea if the apps are actually useful!  Since I'm based in Sydney, I've got Kayo to ensure access to Dees games (shared with Melb family for some nice cost savings)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

When listening to this, I remembered the quote from Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park (paraphrasing) - "just because you can, does it mean you should?".

I hope Goody learned a lesson from that movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, loges said:

Probably around half that if you  stop it at season's end 

and you could probably get it down to 20 weeks. finals are fta and checking the fixture you may be able to shave more weeks at begin/end of home&away season depending on who we play and where.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

17 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

When listening to this, I remembered the quote from Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park (paraphrasing) - "just because you can, does it mean you should?".

I hope Goody learned a lesson from that movie.

Not as rousing as "if it bleeds we can kill it" though is it? 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, D Rev said:

Pretty sure some English Rugby league did it first

Probably true. I think the AFL is unlikely to give a rats about any Pommie Rugby league, but understandably wants to get (stay?) one-up on the NRL.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Thanks, Kev!  I got really interested in deciphering the state differences for broadcasting and then remembered it means nothing to me since my sharehouse only has a digital TV (and so Kayo only) 😅

not sure what you mean by "only has a digital tv", dp

all tvs (nowadays) are digital and called a tv because they have a tuner (otherwise they'd be a monitor)

do you mean your tv has no working tuner or that you have no fta antenna?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Maybe. If SA gets sufficient revenue to compensate them for the alleged $10 million payment it made to the AFL for the privilege. I imagine most of that revenue will be from tourism although I suspect there's likely to be an increase in business revenue as well from things such as conferences and trade shows which I assume are being held in Adelaide this week to coincide with Gather Round.

Balfours need the cash injection and hope to make a killing through the sale of pies, I suspect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chookrat said:

With Hibbo out I reckon May would get the job. He would own the air while having the speed and strength to go with Stringer when the ball hits the deck. This would mean Petty to play in the backline and Ben Brown up forward. Alternatively if we wanted to free up May for more of an intercepting and attacking role then Petty could be given the job on Stringer.

Doubt May would be considered - Rivers perhaps with Piggy missing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

not sure what you mean by "only has a digital tv", dp

all tvs (nowadays) are digital and called a tv because they have a tuner (otherwise they'd be a monitor)

do you mean your tv has no working tuner or that you have no fta antenna?

I assume we have no FTA antenna based on your post!  So it is essentially a rebranded monitor in its current form.  It's a Samsung Frame TV that my housemate supplied.  Shows pretty art most of the time until you turn the TV on, and leaves the living room with an eerie cool blue glow at night since the motion sensor seems to think someone's in the room 24/7 (terrible waste of power).

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, DeeSpencer said:

The US sports farm out development to Colleges and high schools, as well as expensive private clubs which in certain sports drastically hampers then playing pool. I'm not sure why we'd care what they're doing in that failure of a country anyway.

Yes, they technically cut down from 3 to 2 (2 to 1 official) practice games but most teams had full scale intraclubs and we've been training at full contact since November. Practice matches and trainings allow for underdone guys to be managed, there's no such allowance in games.

Several clubs - St Kilda, WC, Richmond, Ess - are already loaded with ten or more injuries. The Eagles side we played on Sunday was an absolute mess in round 4, good luck to them trying to get through 19 more weeks.

Hmmm …a very simplistic view. I’m all in favour of trying new ideas to grow the game & kudos to the AFL for trying and the clubs embracing it.  SA along with most of Australia & indeed the world are suffering from the after effects of COVID along with the other problems that normally affect us …floods..fire etc. if this puts the spotlight on SA .. grows their tourism & brings $ into the state …good on them. Hopefully the flow on effect on juniors playing footy will also improve with the exposure there will be to footy this weekend as I believe SA is struggling a bit in this area. Let’s see how it goes before we make “grandstanding” statements..

• Like 2

Wasn't sure where to put this one and figured that here would get some good visibility for sharing.

GA tickets for Anzac Eve on spot sale - $19 plus booking via Ticketek for 12 hours as I understand.  

• Like 2