Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

Always love a good trade rumour thread. Post and discuss any rumours or speculation about potential player movements here.

Like last year with Luke Jackson, let's keep this thread clear of any Kozzie speculation where there is already a dedicated thread.

I'll kick things off with some speculation that Carlton is under salary cap pressure which is putting Tom De Konings future at risk with St Kilda and Essendon reportedly interested.

"After locking in Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh, the only real question is how to stave off the interest in ruck-forward Tom De Koning.

The Bombers and Saints have reportedly been circling hard, and News Corp’s Jay Clark writes they are the strongest contenders to poach De Koning and add to their key position stocks."

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-salary-cap-squeeze-may-force-de-koning-out/news-story/50f7a2faadcc6e5c4a669f07ec54cdb6

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Don to wait, Roo in demand, Dog closes on new deal - https://www.afl.com.au/news/882460

Nothing too exciting reported here.

- Port one of a few clubs interested in Ben McKay

- Parish holding off re-signing for now and qualifies as a RFA

- host of players edging towards re-signing with their clubs including E Richards, J McGovern, J Motlop

No mention of any Demons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I read on Twitter that apparently Geelong may be targeting Ben King in the next off season. Geelong seems to have very deep pockets and no salary cap 🤬🤬🤬

Got to say I am a bit annoyed that the MFC is not linked (at least in the media) to high profile KPF like B King.

Not saying the rumours are 100% true or a certainty, but it would be nice to know what is the plan to improve our FWD line.

In my opinion is the one area where the club will need major improvements in the next couple of years. BBB and TMac are entering the twilight of their careers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

FFS.

It's March and already someone's "annoyed" that we're not targeting a player for a trade.

You want to know what our plan is to improve our forward line? How about we see how the 2023 premiership season goes for a bit longer than two games first?!

FFS.

Even if we have a successful 2023, the reality is that both BBB and TMac have expiration dates. 

You'd expect the club to plan long term, as we have done with the midfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beetle said:

A speculative thread based on a “tweet”. This is good stuff.

Hopefully the club address the issue before this weeks game.

It was from SEN, take it with a grain of salt.

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

FFS.

It's March and already someone's "annoyed" that we're not targeting a player for a trade.

You want to know what our plan is to improve our forward line? How about we see how the 2023 premiership season goes for a bit longer than two games first?!

FFS.

1 minute ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Even if we have a successful 2023, the reality is that both BBB and TMac have expiration dates. 

You'd expect the club to plan long term, as we have done with the midfield.

Whilst, as yet, totally unproven, JVR and Jefferson are being developed as eventual KPFs. 
Yes, a developed KPF would be just great, few are available for trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adonski said:

Even if King was gettable, where would that leave Jefferson/JVR long term given they're bubbling away in the magoos 

Let's say in two years both TMac and BBB are retired. You'd have enough space for them two plus hopefully our new KPF.

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It was from SEN, take it with a grain of salt.

Then why didn’t you?

We have drafted JVR and Jefferson for his very (long term) reason and currently have two Premiership tall forwards in Tmac and Brown.

Whats the problem?

1 minute ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Let's say in two years both TMac and BBB are retired. You'd have enough space for them two plus hopefully our new KPF.

But what if in two years JVR and Jefferson were ready to rip the comp apart?

• Like 2

After doing an acl, you often don’t see a player return to their best footy for at least a year after returning. Might be early, but Ben may just be experiencing that at the moment (also doesn’t help playing for the Suns). 

If available, I’m not banging down his agents door to get him to sign with the Dees atm.

6 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

So I read on Twitter that apparently Geelong may be targeting Ben King in the next off season. Geelong seems to have very deep pockets and no salary cap 🤬🤬🤬

Got to say I am a bit annoyed that the MFC is not linked (at least in the media) to high profile KPF like B King.

Not saying the rumours are 100% true or a certainty, but it would be nice to know what is the plan to improve our FWD line.

In my opinion is the one area where the club will need major improvements in the next couple of years. BBB and TMac are entering the twilight of their careers.

Clearly our plan is JVR and Matt Jefferson. From this season onwards getting games into.  We haven't got the cash left if we want Kossie paid well to retain him what he is worth. 

I also twitch a bit when I see good players linked with clubs other than mine but remember this;

We’ve recently won a premiership and we’ve  only just fallen out of the top 4 for the first time in something like 2 years. It appears to me that Tim Lamb and co. know what they are doing.

We are also the club that doesn’t leak so how do you know we’re not in the conversation with King?

• Like 2