Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

I played a little bit with Dean Duursma (father of Xavier and Zane). He was a real football journeyman but could play. I was 16 and he was late 30’s and he was still kicking goals.

He also played U19’s at Melbourne and possibly some reserves games.

Ripper bloke

Edited by BW511
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree with you here Gawn dog.

I think right now, we are in the enviable position where we are recruiting for sustained sucess to replace the likes of May, Gawn, (Grundy perhaps) T Mac, BBB and Viney in a few years, while the likes of Trac, Clarry & Co still have some years in them.  We have this great second wave including Sparrow, Rivers, Chandler, Bowey, Petty, JJ, Disco, McVee, JVR etc all coming through right now to rejuvenate the team (Kossie if we can keep him). 

An interesting one for me will be if, when and how we can recruit a future Trac and Oliver.  I suspect we may try to target that kind of elite midfielder with the compensation picks from Jackson.  KPPs take a while to mature and impact games, but I think quality mids (with the exception  of freaks like Dacos and Oliver) also take a while to really mature as well.  Took Trac and Clarry a few years to really reach the level they are at now, where they are amoung the competition elite.

At the moment, overall, I think we are trying to avoid the Hawthorn syndrome where we trade out top draft picks for aging ready made players and are trying to keep our list replenished by going back to the draft ever year or couple of years with the highest draft picks we can conjure together.  While I think we'll continue to look for ready made bargains like Hunter, BBB and Grundy, I don't see us trading valuable players (unless our hand is forced by go home etc) or high draft picks for established needs players at the end of their careers, just to keep us up.  Perhaps if there was a generational type player like Lever or May, where we had a huge need that we could trade for, but like you, I don't really see us with any huge needs right now that would justify that.

Spot on RBG, agree with all that you have said and maximising our next draft with the Freo picks will be crucial. I also agree that we need to start to plan for refreshing our engine room with elite talent to over the next 1 - 3 drafts so that we have can prepare at least a couple top end mid fielders to replace Viney in the next few seasons and one of Trac and Oliver in the next 5 seasons.  To do this we will need top 10 picks.

I think our challenge will be balancing the need to bring in senior players that add to our list for our tilt at Premierships over the next few years, while not selling the farm to do so. To achieve this we really need to prioritise bringing in and developing talent via the draft, trading for players that fill a need via the draft without giving up first and in most cases second round picks, and trading out players who have good currency where we have younger players who can perform their role.

I'd put Harmes, Salem, Spargo and ANB in the group of players that would have some currency that we should consider trading for the right deal. Harmes will struggle to break into our best 22 this season. Salem would be in demand for any team wanting to improve its ball use and could genuinely be the most important player in good side but I think with McVee doing well, Bowey continuing to improve and the versatility of Brayshaw we could fill his loss. ANB and Spargo are both really valuable to us but with JJ, Sparrow, Chandler, Laurie and Taj we will want to free up one of these spots in the next couple of years especially when Pickett signs a long term deal. I also suspect that in the next few seasons we may suprisingly trade out a favourite that will be a bit of a shock but do so to based on need, to free up some cap space and keep our list refreshed.

It's an interesting problem to have so many good players performing well that we will have to look at trading out some of our better players because we have too many good players including younger players banging the door down for opportunity. It wasn't too long ago when we'd struggle to find 6 - 8 players who deserved a game and now we have at least 25 on any given week.

Edited by chookrat
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

I’d add Nate Caddy to the list, 191 cm, but plays taller than that. Could have a run in midfield too, but marking is his trick.

Liam Fawcett from Central Districts is one getting some early attention in SA, bit of Thilthorpe in his play and could make a run at the top 10. 

Logan Morris from the Jets has shown some promise and takes a good grab too.

As far as small forwards go, Nick Watson is massive talent in a small (169cm) package. Even at his size is a top 10 (or higher) prospect and gotten some impressive numbers in midfield over the last couple of games. 

Jack Delean from SA is also quite exciting.

Nate Caddy is an interesting prospect isn't he?

Probably on the shorter side of a traditional KPF height but a lot of his playing style reminds me so much of Charlie Curnow. Totally wouldn't be against selecting him as I think he's scope of potential is huge.

One name that will be worth keeping an eye on will be Koltyn Tholstrup from Subiaco. 188cm half forward with genuine X factor and speed with potential to becoming an inside mid as hes a bit of a contested nut at ground level as well.

He's just played his first senior game in the WAFL and by all reports acquitted himself quite well. @Pennant St Dee will have better insight being a WA lad.

Typical Essendon:  want their cake and eat it too!!

DONS’ CAP PLANS FLAGGED

Essendon reportedly has about $2 million of salary cap space, but is reluctant to trade away any of its top draft selections to lure rival players to the club.

The Bombers’ stance - reported by the Herald Sun - comes as the side makes an impressive start to the season under new coach Brad Scott, winning three of its opening four games.

Given the side is reluctant to trade its high-end draft picks, it leaves the door ajar for the pursuit of free agents.

The Bombers are the only club with multiple restricted free agents this season, with midfielder Darcy Parish and defender Mason Redman yet to be re-signed beyond 2023.

The decision of both will likely have a significant impact on the club’s salary cap.

Well I hope they lose Parish so any compensation pick they get is diluted by the value of the FA they get in. They would be hoping for a 1st round pick for Parish.  They might change the strategy outlined above if that gets watered down!!

An insufferable club in every respect!!

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Nate Caddy is an interesting prospect isn't he?

Probably on the shorter side of a traditional KPF height but a lot of his playing style reminds me so much of Charlie Curnow. Totally wouldn't be against selecting him as I think he's scope of potential is huge.

One name that will be worth keeping an eye on will be Koltyn Tholstrup from Subiaco. 188cm half forward with genuine X factor and speed with potential to becoming an inside mid as hes a bit of a contested nut at ground level as well.

He's just played his first senior game in the WAFL and by all reports acquitted himself quite well. @Pennant St Dee will have better insight being a WA lad.

I first seen Koltyn play for Subiaco’s development squad as a 15 year old who was absolutely rag dolling defenders and he pretty much did that through junior and colts footy. You are correct that state 18s ( on mail heard) see him as a 3rd tall and if he can build the tank, could play as a mid. I didn’t see the Subiaco vs Perth senior’s last week so can’t really comment and would be surprised if he got a big run through the middle but I suspect WA 18s like with Ginbey last year May give him a run through there and see how he goes

4 hours ago, BW511 said:

I played a little bit with Dean Duursma (father of Xavier and Zane). He was a real football journeyman but could play. I was 16 and he was late 30’s and he was still kicking goals.

Ripper bloke

And what ??? We get Dean back as HF ? Coach ? President ? 
Exactly what's  your point BW511? 
And the sons as well what? 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, rpfc said:

JVR and Jefferson haven’t played a game yet - keep your irons in fires…

Blind Harry could see who we are lining up fir our next KPForwards.  Both have that flair that excites and makes one feel that they are a potentially bright forward future for a decade or more.

They are not the sort of players we can keep like irons on fires RPFC as JVR has already proven. MJ is starting to get a CV at Casey especially as JVR is in with the AFL team now. 

Let our FD and Coaches keep producing the players that JT and TL continue to draft.

Both  parts of the Club  are handling the irons, pokers and fires of our recruits perfectly with present and future both receiving appropriate priority, 

37 minutes ago, 58er said:
5 hours ago, BW511 said:

Ripper bloke

And what ??? We get Dean back as HF ? Coach ? President ? 
Exactly what's  your point BW511? 
And the sons as well what? 

Given people were talking about us chasing Zane, Just pointing out there’s already a family connection with the Duursma family and Melbourne. 

Sorry to waste your valuable time

Edited by BW511
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Typical Essendon:  want their cake and eat it too!!

parish and redman are, arguably, in their top five players and will command a fair whack of that $2m salary cap

they're going hard after ben mckay at north, as they should - other than bzk (aka denis rader) they have scant tall defender options 

they don't want to trade what talent they have as they don't have much already, so free agents are going to be their best options going forward to lure elite talent in

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-jade-gresham-carlton-blues-free-agency-zac-fisher-uncertain-future-clubs-interested-st-kilda-saints-miles-bergman/news-story/8f1f80bf8ca9bc9c5554bd9e32f47e63

Somewhat interesting article.

Blues yet again linked to another player, this time Gresham from the saints.

What was more interesting is the apparent rumours of Tom Barrass being a possibility to move from the Eagles despite being contracted. Swans the main club linked to him so far.

May not be an immediate need, but with May getting on and Petty being trialled forward, I wouldn't dismiss the thought of trading in a 27 year old Barrass.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

24 minutes ago, Nascent said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-jade-gresham-carlton-blues-free-agency-zac-fisher-uncertain-future-clubs-interested-st-kilda-saints-miles-bergman/news-story/8f1f80bf8ca9bc9c5554bd9e32f47e63

Somewhat interesting article.

Blues yet again linked to another player, this time Gresham from the saints.

What was more interesting is the apparent rumours of Tom Barrass being a possibility to move from the Eagles despite being contracted. Swans the main club linked to him so far.

May not be an immediate need, but with May getting on and Petty being trialled forward, I wouldn't dismiss the thought of trading in a 27 year old Barrass.

I think there is a family connection with Sydney the city for Barrass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Couldn't find a thread on him, so thought I'd put it in here.

I hope we're into Ben McKay, provided he's willing to come across a bit cheaper.

He'd be an upgrade on Tomlinson, serve as May's ultimate replacement, allow May to play higher up the ground and enable Petty to go forward permanently in 2024.

We might try and back Adams and Turner, but I don't think either of them can play on that gorilla type and this is what free agency is for. To enable the top clubs to poach good players from struggling clubs. 😉

It could be our Frawley to Hawthorn move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I hope we're into Ben McKay, provided he's willing to come across a bit cheaper.

He'd be an upgrade on Tomlinson, serve as May's ultimate replacement, allow May to play higher up the ground and enable Petty to go forward permanently in 2024.

We might try and back Adams and Turner, but I don't think either of them can play on that gorilla type and this is what free agency is for. To enable the top clubs to poach good players from struggling clubs. 😉

Interesting. Has always had the physical attributes. A change of club/direction might be the best thing for him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

i doubt we can afford to bring him in tbh

already on big coin, regularly injured, and always unavailable he has to pretend to be a twin and play for the baggers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

He's been injured or ordinary the last two years. While trying to carry Norf's defence on his back. 

Prior to that he looked really promising,  particularly in tandem with Robbie Tarrant.

I've found myself wondering how he'd slot in as May's apprentice and heir apparent.  It would also free up Petty to stay at CHF. It's well worth investigating. 

The whisper is that he's off to Essendon. Surely working with Lever and May at a club in premiership contention would be more appealing from McKay's perspective. 

Cutting the Druggies grass is an extra benefit in my view 😉 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

I would prefer his brother at the right price 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I would prefer his brother at the right price 

That won't happen. He's on 1mill and unless Carlton want to dump him and pay 350-400k, and he's willing to take a further haircut (doubt it), I can't see a way we ever get into that conversation. 

As for other tall backs, the dream scenario is Sam Taylor @rjay .

• Like 2