Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Welcome to Demonland Pick 37



Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

2021 

36. Jake Soligo (Adelaide)
37. Rhett Bazzo (West Coast)
38. Miller Bergman (North Melbourne)
39. Blake Howes (Melbourne)

Another Harry Petty or Chad Warner would be a handy addition to the list.

There are some good judges in SA who are claiming that Jake Soligo is every bit as good as JHF.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 10/13/2022 at 1:24 AM, Skuit said:

Since the introduction of futures’ trading, the MFC seems to have been a step ahead of others, and then caught in a perpetual cycle. The logic: get a player in a year earlier and keep trading up in the following years. We’ve leaked ‘points value’ on all of those trades though, with diminishing returns as we’ve climbed the ladder. At some stage we need to take a step out for a year and reset. That should be this year. I think we should politely back out of this draft season and bank all our points for next year. That would be our future first, Freo's future first, and whatever we can get sliding 13. Plus a few seconds. 

Given we've got a couple of likely early FS prospects over the next couple of years with young Brown and White - well need some picks for them and a result will be a reset of our future draft picks as a result. (Or we'll go into a deeper hole with them- one way or the other!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pinball Wizard said:

There are some good judges in SA who are claiming that Jake Soligo is every bit as good as JHF.

Richie Douglas pressing his claim to fame to get on Adelaide sports radio is not what I’d call a good judge.

Soligo’s a nicely balanced smaller mid who should have a solid career due to his versatility, clean skills and footy smarts. He isn’t anything close to JHF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am definitely curious as to whether or not our more experienced Demonland members who have a keen eye for young talented footballers might know who will be around the pick 37# mark in this year's National AFL Draft?

Overall, I am just going on what I read online and what has been shown in "power rankings" and Phantom Drafts. I find that Cal Twomey on the AFL website usually gets it about 90% correct with predicted selections though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cal Twomey gets it right because he has got inside information from some clubs and distributes the information on the AFL web site the ones he gets wrong are clubs where they keep their picks close to the chest upseting the draft order.

The MFC has basically fallen for the trap by telegraphing their first pick in 2019 being Holmes and Geelong swapped picks on the day, they should have lied or kept it a secret but loose lips sink ships.

If I was Taylor I would give out wrong information to all concerned and then did what is best for the club.

Edited by durango
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that pick 37 might drift in and out as the Lions will have to give up points/picks to get Ashcroft and Fletcher.  Hopefully Ashcroft gets a bid at 1 or 2 and hopefully Fletcher gets a bid placed on him in the later first round picks. 

If we look at Midfield runners, here’s 4?excellent youngsters:

Jaxon Binns Dandenong Stingrays (outside mid/ elite runner) lasts to pick 37, he’d be the steal of the draft imv.  Fantastic year including in national championships. He links and runs and connects with the footy. 

Harvey Gallagher - captain Bendigo Pioneers - another elite runner. Half back/outside mid . Skills and running power to add more outside run to the midfield 

Billy Dowling - North Adelaide - impressed in SA V VIC country game. Used the footy with smart iq. Can play wing and also drift forward to score goals. Running power is elite. 

Toby McMullin - Sandringham Dragons - in the shadow of the elite youngsters, but he’s another young running mid who makes smart decisions and gets to the right places. Melbourne Grammar boy so he’s got some former alumni at the Dees. His 2.88s 20m sprint at combine shows he’s got pace to go with his skills and goalkicking. Would be an excellent pickup. 

If we look at taller options 

Harry Lemmey West Adelaide SA - 198cms - excellent skills and good goalkicker.   Like namesake Harry Petty, can play key forward or key defender. 

Tom Macullum - Clarence TAS -193cms -  whilst players from Tassie haven’t been too popular on draft night, this kid showed plenty in the Allies game v SA that I saw.  Looks like a good contested mark and judgement, but also capable of pace and run.  Might just lack a few centimetres for key position. 

 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
P
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep Lions bids should put us around pick 34.

Great strategy this trade week. With the Tassy team coming in the next 2 or 3 years there will be compromised drafts. So strike now ( I guess the is why the Tigers and Cats loaded up with talent).  Also next year's draft is supposed to be a beauty.

We will need a couple of Tall KPP's. The Tassie team will be given heaps of $$ to pinch players as well as draft picks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Interesting that pick 37 might drift in and out as the Lions will have to give up points/picks to get Ashcroft and Fletcher.  Hopefully Ashcroft gets a bid at 1 or 2 and hopefully Fletcher gets a bid placed on him in the later first round picks. 

If we look at Midfield runners, here’s 4?excellent youngsters:

Jaxon Binns Dandenong Stingrays (outside mid/ elite runner) lasts to pick 37, he’d be the steal of the draft imv.  Fantastic year including in national championships. He links and runs and connects with the footy. 

Harvey Gallagher - captain Bendigo Pioneers - another elite runner. Half back/outside mid . Skills and running power to add more outside run to the midfield 

Billy Dowling - North Adelaide - impressed in SA V VIC country game. Used the footy with smart iq. Can play wing and also drift forward to score goals. Running power is elite. 

Toby McMullin - Sandringham Dragons - in the shadow of the elite youngsters, but he’s another young running mid who makes smart decisions and gets to the right places. Melbourne Grammar boy so he’s got some former alumni at the Dees. His 2.88s 20m sprint at combine shows he’s got pace to go with his skills and goalkicking. Would be an excellent pickup. 

If we look at taller options 

Harry Lemmey West Adelaide SA - 198cms - excellent skills and good goalkicker.   Like namesake Harry Petty, can play key forward or key defender. 

Tom Macullum - Clarence TAS -193cms -  whilst players from Tassie haven’t been too popular on draft night, this kid showed plenty in the Allies game v SA that I saw.  Looks like a good contested mark and judgement, but also capable of pace and run.  Might just lack a few centimetres for key position. 

 

Toby McMullin - any relation to the Neil McMullin (also a grammar boy) who played for us in 1974 before Lee matthews destroyed his jaw? 

  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've possibly said this elsewhere, but if we go with a tall or mid with 13, I'd be very keen to draft Luke Teal at 37 if available.

His strengths match up with the areas of defence where we were exposed over the second half of last season.

If we're looking at a forward/mid at that range, I'd like us to look at Jaiden Magor. 

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Nascent said:

I think Phoenix Foster might be worth a look at our pick here.

197cm Ruck/forward from SA who's a great contested mark and has a good athletic profile. He caught my eye in the champs but unfortunately I haven't seen any of his U18 games for Norwood where he has kicked 26 goals in 11 games.

Only just turned 18 last month so might still have some growing to do.

i think he'd be more likely to come as a rookie just as i havent seen his name pop up across the interwebs nearly as much as many others. but they are some exciting stats and the age factor too definitely weighs in, im on board for a rookie slot

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Turner said:

i think he'd be more likely to come as a rookie just as i havent seen his name pop up across the interwebs nearly as much as many others. but they are some exciting stats and the age factor too definitely weighs in, im on board for a rookie slot

Good very well be where he ends up. Given the lack of quality talls in this pool it wouldn't surprise to see us take safer medium/smalls in the draft and then take a punt on taller players in the Rookie draft. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, manny100 said:

Yep Lions bids should put us around pick 34.

Great strategy this trade week. With the Tassy team coming in the next 2 or 3 years there will be compromised drafts. So strike now ( I guess the is why the Tigers and Cats loaded up with talent).  Also next year's draft is supposed to be a beauty.

We will need a couple of Tall KPP's. The Tassie team will be given heaps of $$ to pinch players as well as draft picks.

Unfortunately we won’t go in to 34, if Brisbane use 34, 35, 36, 38 (receive a late pick back for this) to match the Ashcroft bid we move up three but also get pushed down one place (the extra place where Ashcroft is taken, for example pick 1 would push GWS’s pick 1 to 2 etc), so that would have us at 35, then if Brisbane match the bid on Fletcher inside 35 with 55, 56 a later pick and some 2022 deficit (this is the only way I see them doing this) we likely get pushed back further to 36, then if Essendon have to match a bid on Davey with their pick 22 we stay at 36, if Davey slips down below 22 they will likely use their picks in the 50s and beyond to match, maybe even go into a small deficit and we will slide right back to 37.

Long story short our pick will be 36 at best or 37 not any higher unfortunately. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 4:47 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Jaxon Binns Dandenong Stingrays (outside mid/ elite runner) lasts to pick 37, he’d be the steal of the draft imv.  Fantastic year including in national championships... 

 

 

His mate Mitch Szybkowski might be worth at look as well depending on the needs of other clubs. Elite runner, captain of Stingrays, good character, gets his hands dirty:  https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/2022-10-31/the-rise-of-mitch-szybkowski/

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dee-tox said:

His mate Mitch Szybkowski might be worth at look as well depending on the needs of other clubs. Elite runner, captain of Stingrays, good character, gets his hands dirty:  https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/2022-10-31/the-rise-of-mitch-szybkowski/

 

Jeepers... impressive junior career.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Interesting to see that Harry Lemmey was considered a possible number 1 pick at the beginning of the year and then dropped off throughout 2022 until a strong finish playing in defence for West Adelaide.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dee-tox said:

His mate Mitch Szybkowski might be worth at look as well depending on the needs of other clubs. Elite runner, captain of Stingrays, good character, gets his hands dirty:  https://pakenham.starcommunity.com.au/sport/2022-10-31/the-rise-of-mitch-szybkowski/

 

Buns Might be more that we want than Szybkowski as he is a runner and mid. ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Szybkowski is similar (not in playing style) to Luke Parker. Highly celebrated junior who won so many B&F and premierships as a junior. In 2010 Parker was seemingly a draft pick around 7-15 yet fell down the board due to clubs not rating his running ability.  Finally the Swans nabbed him at pick 40 in a steal.  Szybkowski also started 2022 as probably a pick 8-12 range but has dropped below the top 20 and now out to around 30. Wow. He’s won the footy and performed well but not elite compared to Ashcroft, Sheezel etc. Perhaps clubs see him as a Charlie Constable.  I think he definitely represents as a good on baller with smart decisions and good aerobic ability. Disposals generally good and can kick a nice goal. Likely draft position is still 25-30 imv. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, 58er said:

Is he an elite footballer or just a good pick up for no 37? 
Sounds like a good chance at 37 if he gets that far. 

That's the 64 dollar question of course. Decorated junior careers don't always translate to star performer in the AFL.  For what its worth most pundits don't see him lasting after pick 30 but then again most pundits are like sheep and just follow what Twomey from AFL.com writes.

We know Jason Taylor seems to like hardworking, competitive kids with good character. Plus we never go purely outside. Will be interesting to see if we want another mid who we target.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

iSzybkowski is similar (not in playing style) to Luke Parker. Highly celebrated junior who won so many B&F and premierships as a junior. In 2010 Parker was seemingly a draft pick around 7-15 yet fell down the board due to clubs not rating his running ability.  Finally the Swans nabbed him at pick 40 in a steal.  Szybkowski also started 2022 as probably a pick 8-12 range but has dropped below the top 20 and now out to around 30. Wow. He’s won the footy and performed well but not elite compared to Ashcroft, Sheezel etc. Perhaps clubs see him as a Charlie Constable.  I think he definitely represents as a good on baller with smart decisions and good aerobic ability. Disposals generally good and can kick a nice goal. Likely draft position is still 25-30 imv. 

I wouldn't draft him with pick 100.  Go back and watch his tape.  He doesn't bodyline opponents when he tackles, he ducks his head in marking contests and when opponents have the ball his chasing effort is not up to standard and he provides next to know spread from contest.  His contested hands game is wildly over-rated too, often panicking in the heat of the contest and flipping it to random areas.   He's got a lovely technical kick on him and great size for a midfielder and when he gets on the end of chains of possessions and in some space, there is some Nathan Buckley about him.  If I knew he had an injury or something like that I would give him a pass mark but his lack of defensive heat and spread from stoppage were massive red flags and the reasons he is dropping in my opinion.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...