Lucifers Hero

21 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

It is 4d chess on a timer and will one day be a job for AI. Heh, I can see it now; every club plugs in their priorities and the AI just calculates all the best trades so that everyone gets the most possible value out of the draft.

The algorithm would have the result in miliseconds, yet the AFL would still dribble the selection information out over 2 laborious nights of coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon Disciple said:

They say that next years draft is meant to be fantastic every year

No one said it about the past 2 drafts.  Riley Beverage, who follows the up and coming kids says its almost a super draft but he isn't willing to call it.  This year he recons the top 3 are stand outs but then after that it's much of a muchness 

• Like 1

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Should we trade out our future 1st round picks
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Blue and red said:

Will we look to trade any future picks to move up in this draft or to add another 1st rounder in this draft. I would target one of those GWS picks in the first round. Maybe 2 future 2nd picks for 15 or 18? 

Apparently next years depth is meant to be much stronger, so I’d be reluctant. Would rather try and trade them for a first next year though

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do trade up this year. We do it every year, and the following years draft is often seen as better, for whatever reason. I think we could do it, and still have picks next year.

I agree. I'd be very surprised if pick 37 and a future first doesn't end up being swapped for a first in this year's draft. 

• Like 4

I'm sure Taylor & Co have some particular players they would be most interested in.

Pre-draft, all clubs (except maybe St Kilda) will have worked out all kinds of contingencies with each other about swaps and moves they might consider.

Let's say we have decided that a Keeler & Barnett combo is our long term future forward/ruck combo. We might grab one with the first pick and then if the second is still available at a selection that another club is happy to trade out, we jump on that.

On the other hand, we might be happy to grab either of them and if we are confident of getting at least one, then we could just as easily trade 13 back a bit for a boost to 37 or to our picks next year.

Glorious chaos.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:07 PM, TRIGON said:

Wouldn't Majak Daw make it 3 spots? Not being a smart-Alec - genuinely unsure.

he and mbrown were rookies 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s a clear and deliberate strategy for us to consistently trade our future picks for current picks, and I think it’s a sound one. 

Every year your future picks replenish, so you’re able to keep front-loading talent onto the list a year ahead of time. You might not get the exact pick, but you should have a fair idea. Barring a disaster drop in form, I think it’s one we’ll try to continue this year.

Others will always get seduced by the dreams of absolute top end talent falling to you the following season, like we are thinking of our future pick haul, but as they say “a bird in the hand...”

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Others will always get seduced by the dreams of absolute top end talent falling to you the following season, like we are thinking of our future pick haul, but as they say “a bird in the hand...”

And it is so easy to be seduced. 

This year 3 of the top 10 players in the 2015 draft were traded for 3rd or 4th round picks with not many games to their names after seven years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

I imagine we would have explored moving into the top 5 over the trade period with no buyers. If we can't get a pick to nab Cadman, Wardlaw, Sheezel or Tsatas then there's no point moving up and giving up a future first rounder or our pick 13 for it imo. 

After those stand-out names, it's all pretty even which is not the word for next year's crop. 

Country, SA and WA couldn't compete with Metro this year and the Metro squad alone will make up majority of the top 10 selections this year. It's a thinner crop of uber uber talent and that's widely acknowledged. 

I hope the club see it this way too and have the goal of getting two picks inside 10 next year. Maybe even one inside 5. 

Operation get Harley Reid. 

• Like 3

Every off season they talk about how the next season is a much stronger draft. to be honest i think it's all a bit silly. 

we've got a history of being willing to bravely trade out future selections and i've got no doubt our 2023 first round picks would be on the table if a deal came up that saw us moving right up the draft order and in a position to get one or two guys we really rate. 

Given Cadman is off to the giants and some of the other mids are a bit similar to what we already have, i'm not too sure who we'd have our eye on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I think we’ll be trying to get up the order, but we will probably find there aren’t too many clubs looking to slide back or wait for next year.

GC & GWS the most likely.

Would the only way up the order be to offer the future first rounder?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I think we’ll be trying to get up the order, but we will probably find there aren’t too many clubs looking to slide back or wait for next year.

GC & GWS the most likely.

The only reason we’d try to move up IMO is to try and secure Cadman. But given reports that GWS are likely to take him at pick 1, it pretty much puts that to rest. You’d be better served recruiting a gun midfielder but maybe they see something super special about him.

If however miraculously he slid to pick 5, then you’d potentially look at trying to work with GCS on draft night to give them our F1 and Pick 13 for it, otherwise if hes gone by then, play the hand as it has been dealt and take 4 picks inside 40 to next years super draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, Matt said:

Essendon have said pick 4 is on the table..

Would they do it for Freo's 2 picks, 13 this year, future first next year? i doubt it, doesn't hurt to ask though

• Like 2