Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: SF vs Brisbane

Demonland

The Demons, having finished second on the ladder, suddenly find themselves facing elimination. I'm reading and hearing this everywhere today. All six teams are now facing elimination in their next game. 

Anyway some more about our injured players in this story.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/teammates-declare-injured-petracca-ready-to-go-against-lions-20220905-p5bfd5.html?fbclid=IwAR06f8_T1nktvWXUquMQsC-nBzZIyjlMKlIG5iaZiPyjT7CeURBAJH86HFQ

Edited by Mr Steve
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, demoniac said:

Match Committee have been out of form.

Sydney beat us just like they did in Round 12.

We need to move the ball quicker. The only way we're currently moving the ball quick onto our forward 50 is when we win the ball out the front of a centre bounce.

So we need speed that can run and carry  and/or by kicks that open the game up.

Nibbler has to be under pressure. His current role appears  to be absorbing tackles inside 50 which is a tad niche. Bedford in for mine. Speed and more likely to score.

Hunt and Rivers need to provide more run out of defence. Salem needs to lift and start making kicks that open the game up.

Presume Tommy Mac in to support Brown who moves at time like in need of a zimmer frame. Didnt look 100 percent for Casey but should come in for Melksham. JVO should have been given a regular season debut in case needed in finals.

Would still like more speed of ball movement. Bowey can hit targets that open game up. Smith super quick and versatile. Maybe for Sparrow.

Definitely agree re moving the ball quicker especially once we get forward of centre. Why wouldn't you try and get the ball to Fritsch one out he's good in the air and on the ground and our leading goal kicker by a fair margin. Got to be better than kicking it to the pocket ad nauseum. Not so sure about Bedford , played well in a game we won easily but in tougher games was hardly sighted, don't think he'll handle the pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Smith will fly against BBB, Gawn and LJ. He is not a leading forward. It would have to be Weid or Tom.

Everyone flies due to the dirty ball entry. 

Smith can fly higher than those mentioned. 
Simples. 😆

On 9/4/2022 at 10:17 AM, IRW said:

I bet he won't and will probably play Trac and Spargo and anyone else who can walk unaided.

Which is why JVR and every other possible change hasnt had a run in the team to date.

This bloke isn't a coaching genius despite last years success.

Not by a long shot

You don't think winning the ultimate after a 57 year drought has some genuis to it IRW?

There's always room for improvement but he's also done a stirling job in following up with a 2nd spot and the double chance this season IMV.  Albeit we would really need to make a Prelim for that to mean anything.

Having said that i would like to have seen a bit more 'daring' in terms of tweaking the game style away from the usual, managing some of the older and/or banged up fellas during and around the Norf match and, lastly, giving a few more chances to those who appeared to be likely types (and have earned a stint) at Casey.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

No point limping over the line this week just to loose the week. That been the case we should be setting ourselves up for the prelim at this weeks expense.

Rest Trac and bring in Dunstan this is what he was here for.

Additionally time to drop Anb and Melk and bring in Bedford and Vanrooyen and give ourself the chance to kick a score. For whatever defensive pressure ANB might debatably have over Bedford he’s not hurting the scoreboard and I’d argue he’s costs us goals when he has the ball. As for Melksham he had a great game a few weeks back but it’s simply not working with only 1 tall.

We need to risk failure if we want greatness.

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

lever-backs-star-teammate-to-push-through-and-face-lions

Answers to above question:  Lever played down fitness concerns over Charlie Spargo, who spent Friday night in hospital after a hit to the throat, and Bayley Fritsch, who played through a knee issue.  Both players were only walking laps on Monday morning, with Fritsch's left knee strapped.

Other fitness news:

• Lever was on a modified program and trained inside instead of with the main group, but Melbourne officials said he would be fit to face Brisbane.
  • Petracca completed a light session with his teammates at Gosch's Paddock on Monday morning, albeit with a slight limp and with tape around his right calf.  Lever:  "I think he'll have a bit of a lighter week. But he'd have to tick off a fair few things".
  • The defender was confident forward Tom McDonald could make an impact if called on, despite having just one VFL game to his name after a long-term foot injury.
  • Melksham also had a knee issue.

Add those to BB and Jackson's bandaged knees, Oliver's thumb and Max looking so so we seem to be a team of the 'walking wounded'.

Everything went right last year. History is not repeating itself, and sadly neither are the results it seems.

We are hobbling to the finish line.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Everything went right last year. History is not repeating itself, and sadly neither are the results it seems.

We are hobbling to the finish line.

I'm confident we will make the GF. 

But will not be disappointed if we bow out from the PF.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Additionally time to drop Anb and Melk and bring in Bedford and Vanrooyen and give ourself the chance to kick a score. For whatever defensive pressure ANB might debatably have over Bedford he’s not hurting the scoreboard and I’d argue he’s costs us goals when he has the ball. As for Melksham he had a great game a few weeks back but it’s simply not working with only 1 tall.

If Fritta does not come up, JVR may come in anyway.

Could be his best opportunity, although the club would have to seriously consider T-Mac for experience in the circumstances

35 minutes ago, Garbo said:

No point limping over the line this week just to loose the week. That been the case we should be setting ourselves up for the prelim at this weeks expense.

Rest Trac and bring in Dunstan this is what he was here for.

We need to risk failure if we want greatness.

Confucius say, not possible to win next week, if you don't win this week

I hear what you are saying but the priority has to be winning this week. Anything can happen in a prelim.

• Like 2

While preparing the 'What They Are Saying...' thread, I noticed some chat about McStay being a bit worse for wear after playing in the ruck for the Tigers game.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I'm confident we will make the GF. 

But will not be disappointed if we bow out from the PF.

Bowing out in the prelim is a pass mark. I don't enjoiy saying it but winning a final is hardly the worst defence of a premiership. 

I want a lot more of your confidence LH, I think we're still a great side but there's some things working against us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

You don't think winning the ultimate after a 57 year drought has some genuis to it IRW?

There's always room for improvement but he's also done a stirling job in following up with a 2nd spot and the double chance this season IMV.  Albeit we would really need to make a Prelim for that to mean anything.

Having said that i would like to have seen a bit more 'daring' in terms of tweaking the game style away from the usual, managing some of the older and/or banged up fellas during and around the Norf match and, lastly, giving a few more chances to those who appeared to be likely types (and have earned a stint) at Casey.

Well you may have misunderstood me because you more less said what I and many others gave been saying here and elsewhere for weeks/ months now.

A great coach would'nt let a side at 10 zip but not "flying" ,just carry on as if it was all a plan ...8 weeks of " loading" Lol..may have been people on here but not finding a way to blood more depth while  persevering with out of form category 2 players just  isn't great coaching .

I havnt said he is no good..57 years since I last witnessed a flag tells me he got something right .

Like many I will consider a Prelim a good pass mark.

Getting to the G/F will surprise me  and surely we'll  expect some substantial changes next season;not just adjusting to no Jackson.

Take a look at a courageous Geelong FD crashing through a habitual game plan and team structure and giving themselves yet another chance 

He's the coach,let's see his moves 

Edited by IRW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, IRW said:

Well you may have misunderstood me because you more less said what I and many others gave been saying here and elsewhere for weeks/ months now.

A great coach would'nt let a side at 10 zip but not "flying" ,just carry on as if it was all a plan ...8 weeks of " loading" Lol..may have been people on here but not finding a way to blood more depth while  persevering with out of form category 2 players just  isn't great coaching .

I havnt said he is no good..57 years since I last witnessed a flag tells me he got something right .

Like many I will consider a Prelim a good pass mark.

Getting to the G/F will surprise me  and surely we'll  expect some substantial changes next season;not just adjusting to no Jackson.

Take a look at a courageous Geelong FD crashing through a habitual game plan and team structure and giving themselves yet another chance 

He's the coach,let's see his moves 

Its taken a long time for the penny to drop at Geelong & make real change, despite their significant advantages affording them plenty of time & easy home games with which to experiment. Hardly courageous.

Our PF mauling did that to them.

Edited by fr_ap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Bowing out in the prelim is a pass mark. I don't enjoiy saying it but winning a final is hardly the worst defence of a premiership. 

I want a lot more of your confidence LH, I think we're still a great side but there's some things working against us. 

Prelim being a pass about right, especially given how equal the comp is this year/the fact we have a horrible record against the top 4 and had some forward-line issues at stages this season. 

That being said, anything can happen in finals footy, need everyone to stand up and we can still cause some damage. 

Either way 2023 will be exciting - have some time to rectify some forward line issues (fit again TMAC, young JvR debuting, maybe another forward brought in) and we should be ready go give it another shot. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Prelim being a pass about right, especially given how equal the comp is this year/the fact we have a horrible record against the top 4 and had some forward-line issues at stages this season. 

That being said, anything can happen in finals footy, need everyone to stand up and we can still cause some damage. 

Either way 2023 will be exciting - have some time to rectify some forward line issues (fit again TMAC, young JvR debuting, maybe another forward brought in) and we should be ready go give it another shot. 

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Now we are in finals we need to be playing with making the grand final in mind by resting players and making changes with that in mind, we should be aiming to win the lot even at the risk of going out in straight sets. No point winning this week if it all but guaranteed we lose to cat because trac is on one leg and we still have a non functioning fwd line. I’m not here to celebrate top 4 finishes and say well done 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trac is playing, he would have been completely off his feet today if he was in any doubt. He’ll play.

Melksham won’t be dropped, he’s had one bad game out of the last 5.

Id love to see Bowey in, but I can’t see who for. The only chance I see is Trac forward, Harmes into the Center to tag and Salem to the wing. ANB makes way and Bowey goes back to HBF.

I think Dunstan will be sub. Security blanket.

Edited by GawnWithTheWind
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Its taken a long time for the penny to drop at Geelong & make real change, despite their significant advantages affording them plenty of time & easy home games with which to experiment. Hardly courageous.

Our PF mauling did that to them.

Demons complaint about Geelongs home ground advantage are clearly not grown up enough to remember when the MCG was Melbourne's home ground.

It wasn't until Richmond stormed the castle we lost that home ground advantage about 57 years ago.

A radical change in structure and style is courageous whenever it happens ...but are you suggesting we should wait about 5 or so years  (try 10) as failed contenders before tweaking the approach ?

Wow just wow!

I agree dunstan should be either in the team or medical sub in case Trac has issues. I would like to see ANB go out and someone faster more talented come in.  I would also love to see our forward line work together to all lead in different directions so that we have options going forward and that we dont have every man and his dog going up with Fritch and Ben Brown. We are extremely wasteful going into our forward line because we just pump it into pockets time after time, need to use short passes and running players near by to move the ball quickly in to leading forwards.  We have had some injuries but sounds like everyone is still pretty fit, we need to go out and repeat our flogging of Brisbane. hopefully brisbane is getting over confident with all this talk about the Dees injuries.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IRW said:

Demons complaint about Geelongs home ground advantage are clearly not grown up enough to remember when the MCG was Melbourne's home ground.

It wasn't until Richmond stormed the castle we lost that home ground advantage about 57 years ago.

A radical change in structure and style is courageous whenever it happens ...but are you suggesting we should wait about 5 or so years  (try 10) as failed contenders before tweaking the approach ?

Wow just wow!

I made no such suggestion....we are the reigning premiers. We came 2nd. Lost a QF to a red hot young team who are clicking at the right time and kicked opportunistic goals, aided by 50m penalties. It's hardly the time to throw everything out and make 'courageous change'. 

If in 3 years we are still kicking to the pocket then sure - make courageous change then. 

I'm not sure why you're simultaneously lauding Geelong's change whilst in the next sentence deriding that it took them 5-10 years to make it. 

As for the G once being exclusively ours - completely irrelevant to the here and now. It's well known that Geelong's home ground provides them an advantage over visiting teams. It stands to reason, then, they are better placed to make 'significant change' at home with the knowledge they carry a headstart into every game. 

What an odd exaggerated response you've come up with! 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

the biggest change i want to see is brayshaw going back to being a defensive wingman rather than an inside mid

harmes to go inside and 'run with' neale from the get go; make his life miserable

i would love to see plugger mac but i'm not expecting it; in fact, i'm fully expecting 'no change'

Brayshaw went into the midfield partly to enable Petracca to play more forward.  With Petracca on one leg it's unlikely Angus will come out of the midfield rotation.

• Like 3