CHANGES: Rd 21 vs Collingwood

Demonland

Salem is now playing on reputation.  Does he get rested or a game at Casey.

Collingwood will swarm forward to 60 metres out and then connect to a forward player. The position that Salem plays will be important to cutting the angles that Collingwood excels in against us

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 1

Great win, need to roll on now.

Midfield looks so much better with Brayshaw in and I can't help but enjoy Harmes not playing.

For me Harmes is just so inconsistent in his play. Brayshaw is clean, sticks tackles, is far better in his defensive play and can contest in the air.

I think Sparrow and Jordan are great second string mids, Harmes is one too many unless he plays a pure shut down role. Other than that he just doesn't do enough good because it's always undone by his bad.

Still would love to see Chandler get a gig but Melksham has hit some form again. Defensive efforts are a lot better and he's got his kicking back. When he plays like that, he's super important.

• Like 6

In: Brown

Out: Weid 

I love Harmes but this injury has come at a bad time.  Much like Hunt last yr

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I’d like to see 2 key forwards for Collingwood, and particularly for the finals. So for me it’s BB (if fit) and JVR. I also think Chandler  really deserves to be picked, so I’d like him to get a game. 
Weid out is an easy one. ANB’s offensive game has been shocking for a number of weeks now and probably deserves a stint in the 2’s. Replacing him with Chandler gives us a more skilful offensive player, and really loses little on the defensive side. Who goes out for JVR? That’s a tough call, but I assume it’s either Melksham or, I don’t know. 
With Gus in the middle, Harmes becomes superfluous to our needs, and would now be competing with Sparrow to get a run. I don’t think that will happen this week.

3 changes to a winning side? Not sure it will happen, but I think it would improve us.

I'd stick with Melksham over Harmes in the short term

Never liked both Sparrow & Harmes in the same midfield group, always felt like one too many ordinary decision makers

Edited by adonski
  • Like 1

BBB for Weed is a must if he gets up. It wasn't a night for forwards, but like it or not, Weed needs a new home after this year. We can debate the causes, but he will not be the player he needs to be at Melbourne.

However, I am wondering if JVR could be given a sneaky game at the end of the year. Last year, I was against Bowey getting a game late in the year as I was sure that his young body wouldn't stand up to the intensity of AFL at the pointy end. How wrong was I?

I get that tall blokes are different in that they need someone to look after them from sometimes unscrupulous and better physically developed backmen. But if BBB can get up and we can play JVR in a pocket or on a flank, he might have enough protection to get through unscathed. 

Would be surprised if JVR gets a game this season now.

Depending how M Brown goes this weekend I would consider bringing in both him and Ben Brown for Weed and Melksham.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

BBB for Weed is a must if he gets up. It wasn't a night for forwards, but like it or not, Weed needs a new home after this year. We can debate the causes, but he will not be the player he needs to be at Melbourne.

However, I am wondering if JVR could be given a sneaky game at the end of the year. Last year, I was against Bowey getting a game late in the year as I was sure that his young body wouldn't stand up to the intensity of AFL at the pointy end. How wrong was I?

I get that tall blokes are different in that they need someone to look after them from sometimes unscrupulous and better physically developed backmen. But if BBB can get up and we can play JVR in a pocket or on a flank, he might have enough protection to get through unscathed. 

Who would want him CBF? Honestly he is not an AFL player. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Deeoldfart said:

All eyes on JVR at Casey this arvo.

Thought he went to Perth as an emergency- is he playing today? 

14 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

If Brown isn’t fit I would debut JVR. He can’t possibly give us less than Weideman. 

I have always supported Weideman and wanted to see him succeed, but the lack of effort tonight was unacceptable. Fine if you can’t take a mark, not fine if you stand and watch teammates trying to win the ball. Really disappointing. Needs to go. 

This, unless they think JVR would get his confidence dented if he played a bad game, I mean what less could he bring than Weid and might just surprise.

• Like 3

At this stage of the year we won't make too many unforced changes, i think Brown will come in for Weid if he's fit, and Harmes possibly but Hunt potentially did enough to keep him out for another week.

13 hours ago, mo64 said:

How will Weid take Moore out of the game? Brown actually leads up to contests and gets into positions where his opponent has to spoil.

Anyone suggesting that Weid should retain his spot mustn't watch the games.

In: Brown, Harmes

Out: Weid, ANB

As others have said, I doubt that they'll drop ANB, but he was woeful in conditions that suit his game.

Moore would Just zone off Weid and go straight to spoil who ever 

• Thanks 1

Loved ANB's form last year but seems to be reverting to the nervous player he was previously needs to get his confidence back, doubt he'll be dropped though.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Think they all came back on the red eye last night, Chandler playing too and he was sub.

I hope they did a head count 😬

A4DC2F3D-6195-4B8C-AD25-18511988910E.thumb.jpeg.1f0f25485eeb0e3f014942c9b9973d86.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Clayton spirit said:

Loved our midfield mix and the balance of our line up in general. One of Harmes/Sparrow/ANB has to sit, I'm not fussed if Harmes sits again. I would reward this 22 and give Weid another chance 

Yeah Weideman really needs another chance. 

He may kick 7 including a wrong foot snap over his head while coming down off Grundies shoulders in the forward pocket. 

• Haha 1

JVR certainly has done his senior selection chances no harm but if BBB is fit , I can't see him getting a gig.

He wouldn't be chosen In front of BBB so he'd have to replace someone else - logically Milkshake. However, Melk played a decent game and looks like he's running into some form.

Further, if BBB doesn't come up, I'm not certain they'd debut him as the main key forward in such a big game. Weid (god help us) would stay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1